Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.07.2019, 12:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: zurich
Posts: 94
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
SwissNoobie has no particular reputation at present
Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

Hi All,


I have few questions about health insurance. We are expecting a new family member in two months. Last week, I approached our health insurer and wanted to get a pre-birth offer for the baby. So we know that from the moment of birth, the baby is insured.


However, they rejected this, by saying that neither of the parents have supplementary insurance, only basic. Therefore, we cannot insure the baby in advance and have to do that in the first three months after birth.


Is that the same process with all health insurance providers? Because this seems a bit odd to me. What happens if (hopefully not) there are complications immediately after birth and the baby needs special care? Who is covering those expenses then? Or could it be that the baby insurance is just back-dated once taken to the moment of birth?


I am pretty sure we would be too busy the first days after birth to arrange insurance with our provider.


As a matter of fact, my wife has supplementary insurance paid by her employer and she is in the process of arranging the contract, however the insurer keep returning the forms, asking for the same information over and over again. She called them last week and they told her that she was initially approved for supplementary without her doctor's feedback, but then the doctor send the feedback with some delay and they decided to revoke the approval and ask again to fill out the same forms. Only because some time has passed since the initial completion.


Just to clarify - she and the baby are both in good health and no issues during pregnancy. Therefore, I do not understand why this supplementary insurance is so complicated.


And because of that we cannot insure the baby in advance.
Quite frankly, I am a bit pissed. We never had any issues with them and one month ago, I would have said that we are extremely happy with their services, but now, not so sure.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.07.2019, 12:50
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,758
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,514 Times in 8,659 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

You can always get basic insurance, no question asked, all pre-conditions covered. As the baby must have at least basic insurance it will backdated to the date it was born, just like when you move to Switzerland.

But supplementary insurance is a free market and the company can set any rule they like who is eligible under what conditions. Considering the insurance takes a risk when they provide a blanket supplementary coverage before birth they might request something in return: In your case that the parents have supplementary insurance with the company.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.07.2019, 12:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

I think you'll find the baby is covered under the mothers' insurance for first 30 days.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 03.07.2019, 13:04
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: zurich
Posts: 94
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
SwissNoobie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

Quote:
View Post
You can always get basic insurance, no question asked, all pre-conditions covered. As the baby must have at least basic insurance it will backdated to the date it was born, just like when you move to Switzerland.

But supplementary insurance is a free market and the company can set any rule they like who is eligible under what conditions. Considering the insurance takes a risk when they provide a blanket supplementary coverage before birth they might request something in return: In your case that the parents have supplementary insurance with the company.


This is what gets me confused. We are actually not asking for supplementary insurance for the baby, we just want to get it settled now, so we do not deal with this later. My understanding is that we settle the insurance with the provider in advance. We only pay once the baby is born, once we have notified them this is a fact. However, now, by rejecting this option, I get somehow frustrated, as I expected this is standard practice.


What about dental for kids? Is that covered by basic or supplementary? It could be that in my note to the insurance company when applying, I have asked for clarification on dental as well, and they might have though I ask for supplementary. Hmm. Perhaps I need to double-check with them.


In any case, would you recommend basic only or supplementary for the baby?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.07.2019, 13:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: geneva
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
loc_141 has earned some respectloc_141 has earned some respect
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

Interesting. In my case, the insurance actually convinced me to get supplementary insurance before birth, to avoid getting refused due to pre existing conditions. In the end we got both which cost about 105/m
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.07.2019, 14:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gimel, VD
Posts: 68
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
leyla76 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

Quote:
View Post

What about dental for kids? Is that covered by basic or supplementary? It could be that in my note to the insurance company when applying, I have asked for clarification on dental as well, and they might have though I ask for supplementary. Hmm. Perhaps I need to double-check with them.


In any case, would you recommend basic only or supplementary for the baby?
As for dental you can get it easily before the kid is 3-4 years old. After the insurance will send you for check up and depends on teeth condition they can accept kid to be insured or not. You should also check if dental is just covering dentist or dentist and orthodontist. Ours in the beginning had just orthodontic cover, not dental. And yes this is supplementary cover.

It is possible to have basic insurance in one company and supplementary in different one, so check different insurers and choose what you think is the best for. Just to remember that contracts with supplementary insurance is usually for 5 years and cancellation letter must teach them before end of September (if Iím not wrong).
Basic you can change every year with cancellation up to end of November.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.07.2019, 14:42
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,758
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,514 Times in 8,659 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

Quote:
I think you'll find the baby is covered under the mothers' insurance for first 30 days.
Not that I am aware of. At least not in case of basic insurance.
But, basic insurance of the mother covers the normal cost of birth and care for the baby w/o any complications. As soon as the baby needs extra care the baby's insurance has to cover it.

Quote:
View Post
This is what gets me confused. We are actually not asking for supplementary insurance for the baby
Hmm, the title of your posts states: "Supplementary Insurance Needed"

But as said, basic insurance will be back dated to date of birth and will also cover all covered costs since then. But only if you get basic coverage within three month after the birth. Also, basic insurance of the baby will only start with its birth.

Quote:
View Post
In any case, would you recommend basic only or supplementary for the baby?
Considering supplementary insurance for a baby is relatively cheap, it is possible to get it unconditionally in advance (check other providers), and you can cancel it later: Get it if you can afford it.

Quote:
Basic you can change every year with cancellation up to end of November.
Only if the premium has changed. Otherwise the deadline is end of September as well. In the last ten years the premium has changed virtually every year.
__________________
"Okay, I just hope we don't wake up on Mars or something surrounded by millions of little squashy guys."
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 03.07.2019, 15:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: zurich
Posts: 94
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
SwissNoobie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

Thanks for the responses so far.
What I meant by "Supplementary Insurance Needed" is that the insurer requires that from the parents for the insurance of the baby. But I think, there is a misunderstanding, which I need to clarify with them.


In any case, I understand now supplementary for the baby would be better than basic. We would try to arrange that next two weeks with the current insurer, as I believe having one insurer is easier to manage. And if in any case, until end of July there is no indication, this would happen with our current provider, we would go to another company.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.07.2019, 16:37
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,758
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,514 Times in 8,659 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the responses so far.
What I meant by "Supplementary Insurance Needed" is that the insurer requires that from the parents for the insurance of the baby. But I think, there is a misunderstanding, which I need to clarify with them.
There must be indeed one. Once more, just in case it is not clear: Basic insurance must be offered absolutely unconditionally! (Apart that one has to live in Switzerland, have been born, and one is not dead yet ).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05.07.2019, 16:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,479
Groaned at 74 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 11,019 Times in 4,483 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

Not only is the basic, standard medical insurance (called "Grundversicherung" in German) available to all who reside in Switzerland, with no pre-checks, it is also compulsory. Therefore, no insurance company can reject you if you want to insure your baby for Grundversicherung. At the very least, sort this out before Baby is born.

Don't make the more time-consuming questions about whether or not you, your wife, and Baby should or should not also have supplementary insurance(s) (called "Zusatzversicherung(en)"), and if so through which company, stand in your way for getting Baby's standard insurance ("Grundversicherung") set up. And do it without delay, because of the possibilitly (in any pregnancy) of a premature birth. If that were to happen, then it is precisely those babies who will need a lot of medical treatment. That will not be covered by Baby's mother's insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.07.2019, 12:40
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 113
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 30 Posts
memihai is considered knowledgeablememihai is considered knowledgeablememihai is considered knowledgeable
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

Just insure the baby with the Grundversicherung + with all the Zusatzversicherungen that you can (allgemein Spital, complementary medecine, Mundchirurgie), everything that you can.
Keep in mind that the Zusatzversicherung costs little for the baby (10-30 CHF/month) but if you run into problems it is very difficult or almost impossible to change it .

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,


I have few questions about health insurance. We are expecting a new family member in two months. Last week, I approached our health insurer and wanted to get a pre-birth offer for the baby. So we know that from the moment of birth, the baby is insured.


However, they rejected this, by saying that neither of the parents have supplementary insurance, only basic. Therefore, we cannot insure the baby in advance and have to do that in the first three months after birth.


Is that the same process with all health insurance providers? Because this seems a bit odd to me. What happens if (hopefully not) there are complications immediately after birth and the baby needs special care? Who is covering those expenses then? Or could it be that the baby insurance is just back-dated once taken to the moment of birth?


I am pretty sure we would be too busy the first days after birth to arrange insurance with our provider.


As a matter of fact, my wife has supplementary insurance paid by her employer and she is in the process of arranging the contract, however the insurer keep returning the forms, asking for the same information over and over again. She called them last week and they told her that she was initially approved for supplementary without her doctor's feedback, but then the doctor send the feedback with some delay and they decided to revoke the approval and ask again to fill out the same forms. Only because some time has passed since the initial completion.


Just to clarify - she and the baby are both in good health and no issues during pregnancy. Therefore, I do not understand why this supplementary insurance is so complicated.


And because of that we cannot insure the baby in advance.
Quite frankly, I am a bit pissed. We never had any issues with them and one month ago, I would have said that we are extremely happy with their services, but now, not so sure.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank memihai for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 08.07.2019, 12:42
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 113
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 30 Posts
memihai is considered knowledgeablememihai is considered knowledgeablememihai is considered knowledgeable
Re: Baby Insurance Prior to Birth - Supplementary Insurance Needed

You may have base insurance with one insurer and supplementary insurance with another. Yes it is easier to manager with only one company.
yes you may change the base insurance every year. (for example to a cheaper one because all of the offer by law the same services)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the responses so far.
What I meant by "Supplementary Insurance Needed" is that the insurer requires that from the parents for the insurance of the baby. But I think, there is a misunderstanding, which I need to clarify with them.


In any case, I understand now supplementary for the baby would be better than basic. We would try to arrange that next two weeks with the current insurer, as I believe having one insurer is easier to manage. And if in any case, until end of July there is no indication, this would happen with our current provider, we would go to another company.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car insurance prior to import nicolasparis Transportation/driving 8 06.12.2017 12:30
Supplementary Insurance for Trip to USA nadiao Insurance 2 24.06.2015 16:51
Supplementary insurance when changing insurance company minimimi Insurance 3 10.04.2013 12:07
Baby health insurance pre-birth - confused! trailingfidanzata Family matters/health 9 16.03.2011 09:17
Insurance coverage prior to arranging one caracola Insurance 1 17.03.2007 20:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0