Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.01.2020, 14:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boneash has no particular reputation at present
Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Hi. I am a border commuter living in Germany. In July last year I signed for Sanitas insurance, the contract stated that I have to pay ~CHF 300. I also informed them that I live in Germany. I never logged into customer portal until this month. I found out that they updated my policy (because I need extra insurance for living in Germany) to ~CHF 500. When I called them they said that nothing cannot be refunded because "the updated policy was sent to customer portal and I was able to read it, it doesn't matter I didn't sign it". What is more I have to stay with them up to March this year.
Yes, I know I was guilty to trust them, lesson learned. Do you think is there any chance to get any refund or move to another insurance company earlier?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.01.2020, 15:01
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,748
Groaned at 95 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,888 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Health insurance auto-renews here, unless you cancel in November. You are lucky you can get out of it in March, normally you are tied in for the whole year.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.01.2020, 15:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boneash has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

What can happen if I don't pay for January - March? Do you think I should try to win anything or is it a lost cause?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.01.2020, 15:52
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,079
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
What can happen if I don't pay for January - March? Do you think I should try to win anything or is it a lost cause?

They will send you reminders and if you still do not pay, a Betreibung. Not sure how that works though if you live in Germany but I wouldn´t risk it.


Have you tried calling them to see what can be done?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.01.2020, 15:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
What can happen if I don't pay for January - March? Do you think I should try to win anything or is it a lost cause?
Worst case scenario would be them seizing your income or goods after the debt has been raised by using legal methods.

I'd say it is a lost cause since you are way to late to cancel per 1st of January, so just pay up to avoid unwanted hassle and raises.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #6  
Old 06.01.2020, 15:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
They will send you reminders and if you still do not pay, a Betreibung. Not sure how that works though if you live in Germany but I wouldn´t risk it.


Have you tried calling them to see what can be done?
If he keeps on refusing to pay it be pretty "simple" to just put a claim on a part of his income which is achieved in Switzerland, no need to do anything which involves Germany.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #7  
Old 06.01.2020, 15:57
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boneash has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Thanks for everyone responding in this thread. BTW - It turns out I can pay CHF 230 in another company..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06.01.2020, 15:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boneash has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post

Have you tried calling them to see what can be done?
They said it's unusual and that they understand but of course nothing can be refunded.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06.01.2020, 17:02
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for everyone responding in this thread. BTW - It turns out I can pay CHF 230 in another company..
And this time read all the conditions before sign up and then follow them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06.01.2020, 17:28
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,079
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for everyone responding in this thread. BTW - It turns out I can pay CHF 230 in another company..

Just make sure that you are allowed to take that insurance as a Grenzgänger?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06.01.2020, 18:47
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,748
Groaned at 95 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,888 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Any reason you would not do your health insurance in Germany rather than Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.01.2020, 05:14
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,833
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 1,569 Times in 812 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
They said it's unusual and that they understand but of course nothing can be refunded.
Well I think you need to push them hard.

You signed a contract for 300.-. They then realized it should have been 500. They cannot simply put that in online area and assume you agree to new conditions at +66% of price. Granted you could have noticed in your bank account etc but its not up to you to do the admin for the company.

So I would push them hard and claim money back and threaten them with "Pursuites"

K
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kri for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 07.01.2020, 08:03
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
Well I think you need to push them hard.

You signed a contract for 300.-. They then realized it should have been 500. They cannot simply put that in online area and assume you agree to new conditions at +66% of price. Granted you could have noticed in your bank account etc but its not up to you to do the admin for the company.

So I would push them hard and claim money back and threaten them with "Pursuites"

K
Push them hard with what? The contract was automatically renewed in line with the agreement and they are going to loose the customer anyway... not much motivation to change.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.01.2020, 11:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boneash has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
Any reason you would not do your health insurance in Germany rather than Switzerland?
I need an insurance here because I work here.

Quote:
View Post
Just make sure that you are allowed to take that insurance as a Grenzgänger?
Yes, that's exactly the one my colleague from work owns.

Quote:
View Post
And this time read all the conditions before sign up and then follow them.
There was nothing about me paying double of what is in the contract. I was clear that I live in Germany when I asked for the insurance and I trusted the consultant. I am not falling for that again, thanks for your concern.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07.01.2020, 11:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 68
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Danieldreier has earned the respect of manyDanieldreier has earned the respect of manyDanieldreier has earned the respect of many
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

If your mandatory health insurance is based on the standard model (not managed care) and has a 300-franc deductible, you can terminate it mid-year and move to another insurer. You have to give notice latest by the end of March:
https://www.moneyland.ch/en/changing...rance-mid-year

If you have a managed care policy or a deductible higher than 300 francs, you can't terminate until the end of the year.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07.01.2020, 11:59
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,833
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 1,569 Times in 812 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
Push them hard with what? The contract was automatically renewed in line with the agreement and they are going to loose the customer anyway... not much motivation to change.
My understanding is a contract was signed for 300 and then conditions were updated to 500 when the insurance company realized OP lives in Germany.

OP correct?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07.01.2020, 12:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
My understanding is a contract was signed for 300 and then conditions were updated to 500 when the insurance company realized OP lives in Germany.

OP correct?
I assume he signed for a T&C which mentions that they can communicate through the portal and that he has the responsibility to check such.

Might be a wrong assumption, but such rule is nothing weird.

Last edited by EdwinNL; 07.01.2020 at 15:42. Reason: dumb spelling
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07.01.2020, 12:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
I need an insurance here because I work here.
Germans can choose wether they want to stay insured in Germany or take up a new insurance in Switzerland, the so called "Optionsrecht"
(Has to be done within 3 months of starting the job tho)

(Same goes for Portugal, Italy, France and Austria.)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 07.01.2020, 15:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boneash has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
My understanding is a contract was signed for 300 and then conditions were updated to 500 when the insurance company realized OP lives in Germany.

OP correct?
Correct.

Quote:
I assume he signed for a T&C which mentions that the can communicate through the portal and that he has the responsibility to check such.

Might be a wrong assumption, but such rule is nothing weird.
You are right. This is where I ed up.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07.01.2020, 15:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boneash has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can I leave my insurance company earlier?

Quote:
View Post
If your mandatory health insurance is based on the standard model (not managed care) and has a 300-franc deductible, you can terminate it mid-year and move to another insurer. You have to give notice latest by the end of March:
https://www.moneyland.ch/en/changing...rance-mid-year

If you have a managed care policy or a deductible higher than 300 francs, you can't terminate until the end of the year.
I have already did that. They told me the same.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what happens if I leave rented apartment earlier than stated in contract? kiedis Housing in general 14 10.03.2019 01:38
How to use Vacation Days and Plus Hours when you leave the company? martinbosss Employment 0 21.05.2018 14:07
5 Year Commitment to Insurance Company and Six Months Notice to Leave highsandlows Insurance 3 14.01.2016 09:40
Last salary before leave the company M4rcius Employment 11 04.10.2014 20:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0