Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 15.04.2020, 14:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

Thank you Jorido. If you hear of any Yearly travel insurance from the UK, I would be interested. Everyone we have asked, including those who insured us for many many years - said we have to be resident in UK and that a UK address was not acceptable.

In the meantime, we will be following the avenue this recent case, won against Lamal - which may offer a way forward. If others would like to join us- that would be great, thanks.

But yes, if that becomes the only available solution- to be 'double insured' eg double cover for UK and CH, in order to get basic cover elsewhere- we will, of course. If we do take FMF's advice, to go for cheapest with highest franchise- I wonder if Lamal would argue this should be used instead. Interesting question.

Thanks to anyone who made useful comments.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 15.04.2020, 14:40
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,934
Groaned at 447 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 22,137 Times in 11,486 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

Quote:
Thank you Jorido. If you hear of any Yearly travel insurance from the UK, I would be interested. Everyone we have asked, including those who insured us for many many years - said we have to be resident in UK and that a UK address was not acceptable.

In the meantime, we will be following the avenue this recent case, won against Lamal - which may offer a way forward. If others would like to join us- that would be great, thanks.

But yes, if that becomes the only available solution- to be 'double insured' eg double cover for UK and CH, in order to get basic cover elsewhere- we will, of course. If we do take FMF's advice, to go for cheapest with highest franchise- I wonder if Lamal would argue this should be used instead. Interesting question.

Thanks to anyone who made useful comments.
Lamal would not know you were double insured, they generally pick up medical bills without having to fill out a multi page claim form, unlike other insurances that only rarely expect to pay out.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 15.04.2020, 14:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

Mind you, H needed an emergency operation last June which could not be done in State hopsital. 20 mins 1 night in hospital- cost us about 10.000.-
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 15.04.2020, 14:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

S1 is of course valid for retirees to EU States who are retired there on UK pensions without Maltese pension or income - as it is in other EU States. It seems strange that this will be protected after Brexit if we get a Deal- and yet that it would not be with Switzerland, which has made a Deal with UK.

''If you’re living in Malta before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare in Malta will stay the same for as long as you remain legally resident.

This guidance explains what you need to do in Malta depending on your circumstances.

If you’re registered for state healthcare in Malta, most services are free. You may have to pay for prescribed medicine.

At the moment, UK nationals can access the Maltese healthcare system for free in one of these ways:

paying social security contributions
using a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for temporary stays
showing a UK passport if you’re staying for up to one month
using an RHA Entitlement Card
registering a UK-issued S1 with the Entitlement Unit in Malta
being exempt from paying social security contributions, for example someone on benefits or with a low income

The S1 form entitles UK nationals access to state healthcare on the same basis as a Maltese citizen. You’re entitled to an S1 if you receive a UK State Pension or certain other benefits. Find out more about the S1.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 15.04.2020, 15:48
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,934
Groaned at 447 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 22,137 Times in 11,486 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

Quote:
S1 is of course valid for retirees to EU States who are retired there on UK pensions without Maltese pension or income - as it is in other EU States. It seems strange that this will be protected after Brexit if we get a Deal- and yet that it would not be with Switzerland, which has made a Deal with UK.

''If you’re living in Malta before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare in Malta will stay the same for as long as you remain legally resident.

This guidance explains what you need to do in Malta depending on your circumstances.

If you’re registered for state healthcare in Malta, most services are free. You may have to pay for prescribed medicine.

At the moment, UK nationals can access the Maltese healthcare system for free in one of these ways:

paying social security contributions
using a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for temporary stays
showing a UK passport if you’re staying for up to one month
using an RHA Entitlement Card
registering a UK-issued S1 with the Entitlement Unit in Malta
being exempt from paying social security contributions, for example someone on benefits or with a low income

The S1 form entitles UK nationals access to state healthcare on the same basis as a Maltese citizen. You’re entitled to an S1 if you receive a UK State Pension or certain other benefits. Find out more about the S1.
Aged 65 I will have a Swiss OAP of about 700 a month so I will need to pay Swiss Health insurance as a result, this is regardless of living in the UK or Malta!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 15.04.2020, 16:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

Yes, I am aware of this. This post is a 'just saying post' in return for your post about 'entitlement' - this applies to 100s of 1000s of British expats on UK pensions alone, all over EU- who will continue to be covered if we leave with a Deal. Somehow, in Switzerland, which actually has a recent Deal currently with UK- we have been told this will no longer be the case. Hence the wish to legally challenge it.

You could of course refuse your Swiss pension- if it is cheaper, and rely on S1? both in Malta and France.

Last edited by Odile; 15.04.2020 at 16:55.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 15.04.2020, 17:13
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,934
Groaned at 447 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 22,137 Times in 11,486 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of this. This post is a 'just saying post' in return for your post about 'entitlement' - this applies to 100s of 1000s of British expats on UK pensions alone, all over EU- who will continue to be covered if we leave with a Deal. Somehow, in Switzerland, which actually has a recent Deal currently with UK- we have been told this will no longer be the case. Hence the wish to legally challenge it.

You could of course refuse your Swiss pension- if it is cheaper, and rely on S1? both in Malta and France.
I suspect there are very few UK pensioners living in CH getting Free health cover when the Swiss need to pay. You don't seem to grasp the additional benefit you get living in CH v other EU countries where locals get free / cheaper health cover.

How can there be anything to legally be challenged? UK leaves the EU on the terms it agrees or not with the EU, based on the result of a referendum & confirmation by the election result. Boris did promise to get BREXIT done, the only party that was clear on this.

I won't have an S1 aged 65 to rely on if I don't take my Swiss pension, I will still need BUPA.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 15.04.2020, 17:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

Switzerland is not in the EU, is it? Cover S1 will remain after December- but we were told that it would not cover the same as before. That was challenged in Court- and won. The point being that S1 should give you the same cover as basic Swiss insurance. It will continue to do so in the EU after Brexit.

I do hope for you that Bupa will never turn back on you as they have on many people I know after severe illness or accident. I sincerely do.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 15.04.2020, 17:37
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,934
Groaned at 447 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 22,137 Times in 11,486 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

Quote:
Switzerland is not in the EU, is it? Cover S1 will remain after December- but we were told that it would not cover the same as before. That was challenged in Court- and won. The point being that S1 should give you the same cover as basic Swiss insurance. It will continue to do so in the EU after Brexit.
As you say CH is not in the EU.

If you want reciprocal with CH you will get zero cover at all

You seem very sure that UK pensioners living in the EU will get the same cover as they get today, do you have a link?
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 15.04.2020, 19:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

'' UK state pensioners and cross border workers who hold an S1 form

Your S1 form means that the UK is your ‘competent state’ - responsible for funding your healthcare. You are affiliated to the French health system via CPAM and receive health care on the same basis as a French national, but the UK reimburses France for your health care costs.

Nothing will change for you if the UK leaves the EU under a Withdrawal Agreement. The draft Withdrawal Agreement continues the reciprocal health care / S1 scheme for British residents in the EU and EU nationals in the UK. This applies whether you currently hold an S1 form, or whether you’ve not yet retired but the UK will be your competent state when you do so.''

From your friend The Local but there are many others out there.

Last edited by Odile; 15.04.2020 at 19:43.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 16.04.2020, 09:49
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,934
Groaned at 447 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 22,137 Times in 11,486 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

Quote:
'' UK state pensioners and cross border workers who hold an S1 form

Your S1 form means that the UK is your ‘competent state’ - responsible for funding your healthcare. You are affiliated to the French health system via CPAM and receive health care on the same basis as a French national, but the UK reimburses France for your health care costs.

Nothing will change for you if the UK leaves the EU under a Withdrawal Agreement. The draft Withdrawal Agreement continues the reciprocal health care / S1 scheme for British residents in the EU and EU nationals in the UK. This applies whether you currently hold an S1 form, or whether you’ve not yet retired but the UK will be your competent state when you do so.''

From your friend The Local but there are many others out there.
Thats the current situation, nothing to do with next year going forward.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 24.04.2020, 13:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any other British or EU retirees who get Lamal insurance via Form S1

We are making excellent progress- so if anyone wants to join us - you are welcome.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
when changing health insurance company(Lamal), first months fees not reimbursed? neutralname Insurance 3 14.11.2018 18:32
Health insurance for UK retirees with S1/E121 Doubleknee Insurance 21 09.04.2018 10:41
Help with Health Insurance Exemption form andreasyeah Insurance 4 22.06.2017 21:16
Left CH - Need S1 form from CH for health insurance - where do I get it? Grapefruit1 Leaving Switzerland 3 07.06.2012 06:59
Frontalier : Private Insurance vs. LAMAL s2rapoport Insurance 3 05.04.2007 11:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0