Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.02.2021, 15:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well.

To keep it short, I received the following message

"We refer to the policy mentioned above. Unfortunately, an error crept into our system with a few customers, which has now been corrected for future cases - unfortunately, your policy is also affected by this error. However, it is no longer possible to correct the premium of the policy retrospectively. However, we are happy to pay you the difference for the next 2 years. Should the policy last longer than 2 years, we will of course also pay you the corresponding difference.

Please note that you will therefore have to pay an amount of CHF 64.70.

In order for us to be able to pay you the difference, we would need your bank details - you are welcome to send them to us by e-mail."


From my point of view, I accepted a specific contract with a specific price and I paid it. The contract is for 1 year. So they are just speculating that I will be with them in the next 2 years. Do I have any contractual obligation to pay extra because of their system errors? Can they legally do anything against me? Should I answer back or just ignore their email?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12.02.2021, 15:10
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,778
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

As far as I understand it is that YOU will get money! The price for the following years is reduced to CHF 64.70 which should be a bit lower than what you paid till now.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 12.02.2021, 15:11
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,197
Groaned at 107 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 6,926 Times in 3,150 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
However, we are happy to pay you the difference for the next 2 years. Should the policy last longer than 2 years, we will of course also pay you the corresponding difference.

Please note that you will therefore have to pay an amount of CHF 64.70.

In order for us to be able to pay you the difference, we would need your bank details - you are welcome to send them to us by e-mail."[/I]
This makes no sense. They say they owe you... then you have to pay 64.70 ...... then they want your bank details to pay you.

Which is it? They owe you, or you owe them?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12.02.2021, 15:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
This makes no sense. They say they owe you... then you have to pay 64.70 ...... then they want your bank details to pay you.

Which is it? They owe you, or you owe them?
I have no idea
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12.02.2021, 15:25
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,197
Groaned at 107 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 6,926 Times in 3,150 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
I have no idea
Can you post the original text here?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 12.02.2021, 16:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
Can you post the original text here?
This is exactly what I received in my email. I have not changed anything.

""We refer to the policy mentioned above. Unfortunately, an error crept into our system with a few customers, which has now been corrected for future cases - unfortunately, your policy is also affected by this error. However, it is no longer possible to correct the premium of the policy retrospectively. However, we are happy to pay you the difference for the next 2 years. Should the policy last longer than 2 years, we will of course also pay you the corresponding difference.

Please note that you will therefore have to pay an amount of CHF 64.70.

In order for us to be able to pay you the difference, we would need your bank details - you are welcome to send them to us by e-mail.""
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12.02.2021, 16:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,801
Groaned at 73 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,131 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

It seems you've signed up to a minimum three year policy and they've discovered that the amount you have to pay each year (or month) is higher than it should have been.
They say they can't redo the policy (and so you'll have to keep on paying what was originally stated) but if you give them your bank details they'll refund you the overpayment each year.


The 64.70 might be the original amount? Perhaps it should say "Unfortunately you will have to continue to pay 64.70"?


For example it could be something like this:
Your policy states that you pay 64.70 per year(or month), you should have only been paying 54.70. You need to keep paying the 64.70 for the duration of the policy but they'll refund you 10 (or 120) each year, if you give them your bank details.


Give them your bank details. It's in your favour (unless it's a scam ;-) )
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 12.02.2021, 16:06
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,197
Groaned at 107 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 6,926 Times in 3,150 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

They sent you that by email, not letter? I find that a little bit suspicious. Can you not call them and ask them to clarify what’s going on?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 12.02.2021, 16:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
It seems you've signed up to a minimum three year policy and they've discovered that the amount you have to pay each year (or month) is higher than it should have been.
They say they can't redo the policy (and so you'll have to keep on paying what was originally stated) but if you give them your bank details they'll refund you the overpayment each year.


The 64.70 might be the original amount? Perhaps it should say "Unfortunately you will have to continue to pay 64.70"?


For example it could be something like this:
Your policy states that you pay 64.70 per year(or month), you should have only been paying 54.70. You need to keep paying the 64.70 for the duration of the policy but they'll refund you 10 (or 120) each year, if you give them your bank details.


Give them your bank details. It's in your favour (unless it's a scam ;-) )

My contract specifically states that the validity is for 01/01/2021-31/12/2021. I have paid the whole yearly premium, no monthly payments.

I will just email them with my bank details and ask them to refund me the money and let's see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12.02.2021, 16:14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
They sent you that by email, not letter? I find that a little bit suspicious. Can you not call them and ask them to clarify what’s going on?

Yes, just an email. I checked the email address and it's matching with the one on my contract, so nothing fishy there at least.

Will ask them to refund the money to my bank account and see how they react to.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12.02.2021, 16:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,801
Groaned at 73 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,131 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
My contract specifically states that the validity is for 01/01/2021-31/12/2021. I have paid the whole yearly premium, no monthly payments.

Even if the contract ties you in for more than one year, each year's insurance will show just for one year as above. From the wording it sounds very much to me that it's a three-year policy. From the wording it also sounds like they won't in fact refund for year 1, but only for years 2 and 3, but often, especially in English, the wording is open to interpretation.


If 64.70 was the annual premium I wondered what kind of car insurance that would provide, hence thinking it was perhaps a monthly premium.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12.02.2021, 16:30
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

More likely 64.70 is the amount of the mistake, and they're saying that unfortunately you still have to pay this up front but will get it back through the refund.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 12.02.2021, 21:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,630
Groaned at 503 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 12,817 Times in 6,646 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Why would they be unable to correct the false policy?

And why do they appear to not know the duration of the contract?
That part makes even less sense than the rest.

OP already paid the entire premium, thus zero reason for OP to pay a single Rappen more. All they'd need for a reimbursement is OP's bank account IBAN.

This sounds like one big pile of horsemanure. Ok, maybe three big piles.

I'd phone the insurance using their official number (look it up on their website) to make sure this is legit. Perhaps have your customer number or contract number ready when you do, or use a phone they know the number of which is yours.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 13.02.2021, 11:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
Why would they be unable to correct the false policy?

And why do they appear to not know the duration of the contract?
That part makes even less sense than the rest.

OP already paid the entire premium, thus zero reason for OP to pay a single Rappen more. All they'd need for a reimbursement is OP's bank account IBAN.

This sounds like one big pile of horsemanure. Ok, maybe three big piles.

I'd phone the insurance using their official number (look it up on their website) to make sure this is legit. Perhaps have your customer number or contract number ready when you do, or use a phone they know the number of which is yours.
I did call them actually. A nice lady answered and told me to send them my IBAN for the refund. I am still confused though by their initial email, it makes not much sense the way it's articulated. Guess will find out sooner than later.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13.02.2021, 11:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
I did call them actually. A nice lady answered and told me to send them my IBAN for the refund. I am still confused though by their initial email, it makes not much sense the way it's articulated.
It's poorly written, for sure, but not actually wrong - you will need to _continue_ to pay the extra premium as a result of the error, they will refund it to your bank account.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 13.02.2021, 11:53
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,529
Groaned at 365 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 12,760 Times in 4,351 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

This smells like a phishing scam...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
This user groans at AbFab for this post:
  #17  
Old 13.02.2021, 14:42
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 156
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 143 Times in 79 Posts
spark is considered knowledgeablespark is considered knowledgeablespark is considered knowledgeable
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
More likely 64.70 is the amount of the mistake, and they're saying that unfortunately you still have to pay this up front but will get it back through the refund.

No you don't. If you haven't paid yet, you can just subtract the refund due from your payment, that's the law - https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2...377/de#art_120
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank spark for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 14.02.2021, 14:48
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
This smells like a phishing scam...
They rarely offer to pay you money without you giving them something first, and the amount seems to be missing several zeros at the end.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 14.02.2021, 15:25
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,243
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,338 Times in 18,541 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Insurance company asks me to pay extra due to system error

Quote:
View Post
In order for us to be able to pay you the difference, we would need your bank details
Quote:
View Post
I did call them actually. A nice lady answered and told me to send them my IBAN for the refund. I am still confused though by their initial email, it makes not much sense the way it's articulated. Guess will find out sooner than later.
IBAN=bank details.

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health insurance - dental 'extra' Jamiel Insurance 12 04.01.2021 21:54
Health insurance for a baby with extra needs nirak Insurance 16 01.09.2014 22:44
Do tutors need extra insurance? Pepper Business & entrepreneur 0 10.02.2012 10:08
Extra payment to company pension fund for tax rebatt? jttraveller Finance/banking/taxation 4 10.11.2011 21:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0