Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 17.03.2021, 13:12
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: ZU
Posts: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
matterson has become a little unpopularmatterson has become a little unpopular
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

It is absolutely possible to work for a foreign employer and obtain a permit based on that to live in Switzerland (as an EU/EFTA national). You would also be considered a dual UK-CH resident for tax purposes. Contrary to what has been said here, no, obtaining residency in one country does not invalidate residency in another country.

If you continue working remotely whilst physically present in Switzerland your income will be subject to Swiss tax. As you have your tax withheld by PAYE in the UK, the HMRC and your cantonal tax authority would get in touch to settle amounts due. You will likely not need to put forward more cash as UK effective tax rate is higher than most Swiss canton/commune combinations.

When the UK was still part of the EU, you would have been able to request an exemption to pay for KVG because your only source of income was from an EU country and you would have been covered by your EHIC card. As this is no longer the case, you will have to take up Swiss health insurance if you continue living here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank matterson for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 17.03.2021, 13:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 3,498
Groaned at 411 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,859 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

EHIC never ever covered for health or accident, only the emergency part.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 17.03.2021, 13:36
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,489
Groaned at 114 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 7,243 Times in 3,303 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

UK EHIC is no use to you here at all. If you are here as a tourist, them you need travel insurance. If you get a residence permit, you need Swiss health insurance.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 17.03.2021, 13:53
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
EHIC never ever covered for health or accident, only the emergency part.
I would have thought most accidents that required hospital treatment were emergencies
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17.03.2021, 14:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Geneva
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hemingway has no particular reputation at present
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
It is absolutely possible to work for a foreign employer and obtain a permit based on that to live in Switzerland (as an EU/EFTA national). You would also be considered a dual UK-CH resident for tax purposes. Contrary to what has been said here, no, obtaining residency in one country does not invalidate residency in another country.

If you continue working remotely whilst physically present in Switzerland your income will be subject to Swiss tax. As you have your tax withheld by PAYE in the UK, the HMRC and your cantonal tax authority would get in touch to settle amounts due. You will likely not need to put forward more cash as UK effective tax rate is higher than most Swiss canton/commune combinations.

When the UK was still part of the EU, you would have been able to request an exemption to pay for KVG because your only source of income was from an EU country and you would have been covered by your EHIC card. As this is no longer the case, you will have to take up Swiss health insurance if you continue living here.
Precisely this. Getting another (CH) residency does not affect your UK residency.

Quote:
View Post
so, did you fill in the registration form and wait for their reply ?



You can't get a tourist visa 'exemption' - you could apply for an extension of your tourist visa because of covid. But you're not really a tourist - are you ? You're here, working remotely but still employed and resident elsewhere.


If you move your residency to Switzerland, you will give up your residency in the UK - that could impact your employment contract in the UK,


Did you break your UK residency permit by leaving the UK for more than 3 months ? That may be more of a problem when you try to go back to the UK... especially post-Brexit... it looks like you are allowed maximum 6 months outside UK before it affects your UK permit.
Not necessarily. If OP has settled status in the UK, then being abroad poses no risk to their UK status.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 17.03.2021, 16:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 3,498
Groaned at 411 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,859 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
I would have thought most accidents that required hospital treatment were emergencies
Well yes, the emergency part! When I had my accident- I was in traction for 4.5 months, then another 3 months in hospital, with several major operations- followed by two years of rehab and physio. I am pretty sure EHIC would not have covered the lot- neither would it cover repatriation.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17.03.2021, 17:34
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
Well yes, the emergency part! When I had my accident- I was in traction for 4.5 months, then another 3 months in hospital, with several major operations- followed by two years of rehab and physio. I am pretty sure EHIC would not have covered the lot- neither would it cover repatriation.
It would cover the emergency part, the NHS would cover the rest when you returned.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 17.03.2021, 17:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 3,498
Groaned at 411 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,859 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

An interesting question- where would they have put the line on 'the emergency part'? After the first major operation? As it does not cover repatriation- I can only try and imagine the cost of repatriating someone in traction? Private place, with the bed and huge, heavy contraption.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 17.03.2021, 17:50
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
An interesting question- where would they have put the line on 'the emergency part'? After the first major operation? As it does not cover repatriation- I can only try and imagine the cost of repatriating someone in traction? Private place, with the bed and huge, heavy contraption.
Thats why you need insurance for the repatriation.
Emergency treatment is just that, once you are out of hospital you will have to pay for accommodation until 'fit to travel', that was 6 weeks after breaking my back in my case.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 17.03.2021, 18:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florpa has become a little unpopularFlorpa has become a little unpopular
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
It is absolutely possible to work for a foreign employer and obtain a permit based on that to live in Switzerland (as an EU/EFTA national).

When the UK was still part of the EU, you would have been able to request an exemption to pay for KVG because your only source of income was from an EU country and you would have been covered by your EHIC card. As this is no longer the case, you will have to take up Swiss health insurance if you continue living here.
Do you know anyone who actually did this request? is not quite clear if thet don't have any type of deal with the Uk on this matter, or if having come before the end of the deal helps (the EHIC card is valid as long as it was taken before January for example) but I need to know how the actual process is from a real experience in terms of paper
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 17.03.2021, 18:25
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
Do you know anyone who actually did this request? is not quite clear if thet don't have any type of deal with the Uk on this matter, or if having come before the end of the deal helps (the EHIC card is valid as long as it was taken before January for example) but I need to know how the actual process is from a real experience in terms of paper
EHIC is for up to 3 months abroad, not for someone who is now living in Switzerland. Stop taking the piss & pay for your health insurance like everybody else.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 17.03.2021, 19:13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florpa has become a little unpopularFlorpa has become a little unpopular
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

The amount of miss interpretation of the actual question and the uninformed answers is really impressive.

No one is taking the piss of anything, first of all, I am still here on my tourist allowing so I am getting my information right before making a decision, in terms of permits.

There are several permits and figures on terms of permits, and staying 2 months without intentions to stay after that is clearly different to some of the other status,
(matterson actually mentioned a few, and is contemplated on the Swiss regulation, so that is an answer more based on real facts )

What I am trying to gather here is the accurate information by someone who
was also in a similar position from a experienced point of view, not an opinion based on suppositions or mis readings.,
But thank you anyway.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at Florpa for this post:
  #33  
Old 17.03.2021, 19:24
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,700
Groaned at 385 Times in 323 Posts
Thanked 15,293 Times in 7,057 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
The amount of miss interpretation of the actual question and the uninformed answers is really impressive.

No one is taking the piss of anything, first of all, I am still here on my tourist allowing so I am getting my information right before making a decision, in terms of permits.

There are several permits and figures on terms of permits, and staying 2 months without intentions to stay after that is clearly different to some of the other status,
(matterson actually mentioned a few, and is contemplated on the Swiss regulation, so that is an answer more based on real facts )

What I am trying to gather here is the accurate information by someone who
was also in a similar position from a experienced point of view, not an opinion based on suppositions or mis readings.,
But thank you anyway.

Again, you are not a tourist. You are working in Switzerland remotely for a company and need a permit to do so. You are in breach of the rules and regulations.


A tourist does not work. And even if you got here to search for a job, which you can, you would still not be allowed to work until you got a permit.


And that is not an opinion but how them rules are.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 17.03.2021, 19:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 3,498
Groaned at 411 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,859 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

You are asking a bunch of strangers, expats here, some who have decades of experience- but perhaps not specialists in the field on permits. They are telling you what they know, the facts as they have experienced them, studied them, discussed them before.

And you don't like what they say, because it is not what you want to hear.
So turning against them is not going to change the facts, or help you at all.

Bonne chance.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 17.03.2021, 20:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 3,498
Groaned at 411 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,859 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
Thats why you need insurance for the repatriation.
Emergency treatment is just that, once you are out of hospital you will have to pay for accommodation until 'fit to travel', that was 6 weeks after breaking my back in my case.
Again, interesting. When I was in traction for 4.5 months, I didn't just need 'accommodation' - but full nursing care. Traction means lying on a board, with pins through your Tibia or knee, leg up in the air and heavy weights hanging from the top over your bed. So washing, toilet (yes, the worst part), 100% care, and cleaning gaping wounds 3 times a day, etc, etc. So accommodation was the least of my worries. It would have been extremely difficult to safely repatriate me- the whole bed would have had to go into the plane or long haul ambulance. So just wondering what would have happened?

(car accident, I was just 19).
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 17.03.2021, 20:17
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
Again, interesting. When I was in traction for 4.5 months, I didn't just need 'accommodation' - but full nursing care. Traction means lying on a board, with pins through your Tibia or knee, leg up in the air and heavy weights hanging from the top over your bed. So washing, toilet (yes, the worst part), 100% care, and cleaning gaping wounds 3 times a day, etc, etc. So accommodation was the least of my worries. It would have been extremely difficult to safely repatriate me- the whole bed would have had to go into the plane or long haul ambulance. So just wondering what would have happened?

(car accident, I was just 19).
They would have probably paid for that, however not at the time of your accident as EHIC did not exist. I suspect they might have air lifted you back if they thought it would have been cheaper / feasible.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 17.03.2021, 20:20
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,700
Groaned at 385 Times in 323 Posts
Thanked 15,293 Times in 7,057 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Ive traveled a lot (way back) and that travel insurance always was for emergency treatment where you are and then get "shipped" back home.


Travel insurance at work was/is a different story but still the idea is to get back home as soon as possible.



But it might be different per country.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 17.03.2021, 21:03
Bossa Nova's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 293
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 690 Times in 195 Posts
Bossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
Again, you are not a tourist. You are working in Switzerland remotely for a company and need a permit to do so. You are in breach of the rules and regulations.


A tourist does not work. And even if you got here to search for a job, which you can, you would still not be allowed to work until you got a permit.


And that is not an opinion but how them rules are.
Put another way, Florpa, I think you need to separate out what you are defining as a tourist and what the Swiss government defines as a tourist.

I get the impression you think you have tourist status here because you have permanent residence elsewhere, are normally entitled to visit for up to 90 days without a visa, and you only intend to stay here a few more months.

But just because you have felt like a tourist these past few months doesn't mean you are one from a legal standpoint. As others have already pointed out, a tourist is someone who visits a country for leisure or personal purposes and does not work. The fact that the UK allows you to maintain your residence while being absent for up to six months is neither here nor there as far as the Swiss authorities are concerned. You are currently residing in this country and are gainfully employed abroad but doing the work here, and you are now several months into your stay. This does not fit in with the Swiss rules.

This might not be what you want to hear, but even the person you asked at the commune said "residence or nothing". What other information are you expecting to get from this forum? You have already received exactly correct advice from the authorities.

Last edited by Bossa Nova; 17.03.2021 at 21:23.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Bossa Nova for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 18.03.2021, 11:38
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: ZU
Posts: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
matterson has become a little unpopularmatterson has become a little unpopular
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

What has been said about the EHIC on here is total fake news.

EU/EFTA/Swiss pensioners (including UK pensioners moving here up to 31.12.2020) receiving a non-Swiss pension (and receiving zero funds from a Swiss pension) are fully covered by their respective EHIC, are not obliged to take out Swiss KVG and care is equivalent to having Swiss KVG.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 18.03.2021, 11:46
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,700
Groaned at 385 Times in 323 Posts
Thanked 15,293 Times in 7,057 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exemption from insurance working remotely for the Uk

Quote:
View Post
What has been said about the EHIC on here is total fake news.

EU/EFTA/Swiss pensioners (including UK pensioners moving here up to 31.12.2020) receiving a non-Swiss pension (and receiving zero funds from a Swiss pension) are fully covered by their respective EHIC, are not obliged to take out Swiss KVG and care is equivalent to having Swiss KVG.

I think that is exactly what JackieO said? Apart from that, OP is not a pensioner.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
health, insurance, l permit, london




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Insurance exemption rejected (EU student). Can I apply for exemption again? Iso Insurance 11 03.03.2021 20:55
Working Remotely for US Co TexAg Permits/visas/government 1 20.11.2019 09:13
Health insurance - from an exemption to an obligatory insurance with 1 month break davidz Insurance 20 19.08.2019 15:25
Working in US but remotely from CH LearningAlways Business & entrepreneur 10 02.11.2012 19:20
working remotely in CH Calfo Business & entrepreneur 16 11.02.2011 16:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0