Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21.08.2021, 16:57
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rememberthename has no particular reputation at present
Special Case - Master Student with part time work

Hello together,

I will be starting my masters degree in CH and also will work part time at a Zurich bank on an "on call" basis probably 1-2 days / week.

I guess that if I would stay <15h/week (which I am eligible to work with my student permit) I would fall under the radar for the mandatory health insurance and could insure myself with a cheap insurer such as swisscare?

However, my contract is on call base and my employee wants me to have the permit that I could also work more per hours in order to guarantee a higher level of flexibility.

Now the problem is that I don't know how long the employment will be since it is project based. I hope I can stay there till the end of my time in Switzerland but who really knows.

This presents me with following issues:

1) if I know settle with one of the more expensive "normal" insurances, will I be able to easy switch to a cheaper plan if I don't have a side job anymore?

2) paying >2 grand in insurance per year given the amount of healthcare I actually receive is pretty nuts for having a part time job that demands 1-2 working days per week. I literally pay the same amount for the insurance than someone earning for instance uhm ... 200 grand +? Coming from an EU state where insurance is payed by the employer/employee based on income this pretty much bugs me up.

How would you rate the chance of receiving a prämienverbilligung? And how complicated is this process? I read countless of things online. One post in this forum many years ago mentioned that someone got their residency status permitted because applying for the Verbilligung? I recall that I had to sign somewhere that I receive more $$$ than a sozialhilfeempfänger in Switzerland. What if I now go for the prämienverbilligung and say that I only make around 1500 chf per month?

Anyway I would be happy for any inputs!

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NON EU F/T Student (not masters) in Bern - Can I switch to part time and work Hanon Permits/visas/government 4 08.05.2019 03:18
[NON-EU] Mandatory part-time work during the first 6 months for master's degree auhan Permits/visas/government 22 30.07.2018 17:58
Non-EU Student - Part-Time Work betterbundobook Permits/visas/government 3 21.03.2018 12:40
Taxes for part-time work - graduate student RS13 Finance/banking/taxation 0 28.02.2011 18:12
Student part-time work tax beetrootman Finance/banking/taxation 1 28.09.2010 20:50

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:11.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0