Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.01.2011, 11:17
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 757
Groaned at 67 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 602 Times in 337 Posts
flavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond repute
Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Spring 2010 Eurobarometer: EU citizens favour stronger European economic governance

When asked about the benefits of EU membership, 49% of Europeans said in May that EU membership of their country was a “good thing” (-4 compared to autumn 2009). Public support for EU membership was still higher than in 2001, when following the downturn after the burst of the "Internet bubble", public support for EU membership stood at 48%.

The survey also found that in May 2010 trust in the EU institutions remained higher compared to national governments or national parliaments (42% vs. 29% and 31%, respectively), even though confidence in the EU fell at the height of the crisis (to 42% from 48% in autumn 2009). Trust was most pronounced in Estonia (68%), Slovakia (65%), Bulgaria and Denmark (61%), whilst it was lowest in the United Kingdom (20%).
__________________
From the dark horizon of my future a sort of slow, persistent breeze had been blowing toward me, all my life long, from the years that were to come.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.01.2011, 11:28
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,370 Times in 1,476 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Linky Link
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25.01.2011, 11:41
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 757
Groaned at 67 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 602 Times in 337 Posts
flavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25.01.2011, 11:52
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,370 Times in 1,476 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
Why are those small changes highlighted?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.01.2011, 11:58
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 757
Groaned at 67 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 602 Times in 337 Posts
flavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Maybe because I get very personal with the EU... it's one of those days
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25.01.2011, 12:00
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 10,936
Groaned at 622 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,476 Times in 5,724 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

I always thought that it was a rubbish idea. The EU lacks some serious balls and there are too many different languages and nitpicking ideologies that prevent from making this happen.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.01.2011, 12:10
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,921
Groaned at 273 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 20,185 Times in 7,352 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
The survey also found that in May 2010 trust in the EU institutions remained higher compared to national governments or national parliaments (42% vs. 29% and 31%, respectively)
What a surprise. If I was Greek, Irish, Spanish or Portuguese, I'd would as well believe that the bureaucrats in Brussels are probably less incompetent than the national government. As a German, I am more annoyed that Frau Merkel does what she always does - make some half baked compromises that will not change anything but prolong structural problems and costs many billions of tax money.

Everyone in his right mind sees that the EU cannot work the way it is set up where each and every country the size of Luxembourg can block the rest to evolve. Where there is a huge and extremly expensive parliament elected to have close to no impact on the important decisions...

I love the EU for making Europe an more open and peaceful place than it was in the vast majority of the past. But in order to progress, it simply needs the flexibility to do so. I am all for an "EU of various speeds" or whatever they called the concept that some willing countries could move on in a subset of the EU in certain issues. So if you are a small backward country you do not need to veto everything, but can watch them try it out and join later if it works...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.01.2011, 12:38
dino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,663
Groaned at 35 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 1,279 Times in 628 Posts
dino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
Why are those small changes highlighted?
cause without his guidance, you'd all be looking at the stupid big changes... DUH
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.01.2011, 12:51
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,175
Groaned at 123 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 16,619 Times in 5,840 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
cause without his guidance, you'd all be looking at the stupid big changes... DUH
He's failed to highlight the most obvious ones; peace and democracy are both well down. The EU has simply become an expensive, lumbering behemoth and I would urge the Swiss to stay well clear of it for the foreseeable future. It's not even a democracy, just a bunch of self-important bureacrats on inflated salaries, trying to push their own little EUist agendas.
What was wrong with the good old EEC?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 25.01.2011, 12:58
Ittigen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Is that 3% Europeans are more or less happy with the Euro?

What are the statistical errors? Isn't it around 3% differences allowed?

I don't think the "Good old EEC" was any better, just a bit smaller but with the same mentality.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25.01.2011, 13:27
Nev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
The survey also found that in May 2010 trust in the EU institutions remained higher compared to national governments or national parliaments .... it was lowest in the United Kingdom (20%).
What's so surprising? Probably down to the fact that Britain is different. Apart from some heinous crimes against the Scots, Britain has had a long, uninterrupted history of internal stability. They have been used to ruling their own country. Though they've had internal hiccups along the way, they've been mercifully free of invasions, revolutions and instability. For a long time De Gaulle didn't want them in his club anyway, but when Britain eventually got into the EEC, they thought thought they were signing up to a "common market" not signing over their sovereignty. Now wonder the Brits aren't giving out high fives.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 25.01.2011, 14:48
The Real Stig's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Low tax canton
Posts: 479
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 638 Times in 265 Posts
The Real Stig has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Stig has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Stig has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Stig has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Could it be because most of the time.. They were the invaders and people were revolting against them in their own land?

Quote:
View Post
Though they've had internal hiccups along the way, they've been mercifully free of invasions, revolutions and instability.

Last edited by The Real Stig; 25.01.2011 at 14:48. Reason: Spell check
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank The Real Stig for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 25.01.2011, 15:23
JonnyLaRock!'s Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 498
Groaned at 116 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 262 Posts
JonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
What's so surprising? Probably down to the fact that Britain is different. Apart from some heinous crimes against the Scots, Britain has had a long, uninterrupted history of internal stability. They have been used to ruling their own country. Though they've had internal hiccups along the way, they've been mercifully free of invasions, revolutions and instability. For a long time De Gaulle didn't want them in his club anyway, but when Britain eventually got into the EEC, they thought thought they were signing up to a "common market" not signing over their sovereignty. Now wonder the Brits aren't giving out high fives.
There are definitely a few bold statements in that soliloquy, I don't think I've ever heard of 'this septered isle' being compared with near perfect verisimilitude with the famous '800 years of brotherly love and coo-coo clocks' dialog from 'the third man'!
To describe the fact that Britain was a republic for 12 years after a series of the bloodiest battles in human history, topped in gore only by the 'harrying of the north', and the 'wars of the roses', as a 'hiccup' is probably the worlds biggest understatement!

The clear fact that Britain managed to own 2/3rds of the world at one point, and is now flat broke lends credence to the proposition that Britain is crap at managing stuff!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JonnyLaRock! for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 25.01.2011, 15:29
basher's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 959
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,463 Times in 514 Posts
basher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
Could it be because most of the time.. They were the invaders and people were revolting against them in their own land?
Well it did`nt stop other `invaders` from joining the EEC/EU did it?
No, we (UK) were led into it by our illustrious leaders against a strong anti-British Charles de-Gaulle . . . who made sure that he got his pound of flesh (i.e. total fishing rights to UK waters) . . a small fact that was `hidden`from the British people until we started to wonder why there were so many unemployed Scottish fishermen sitting around watching Spanish fishing boats in their harbours.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25.01.2011, 15:31
basher's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 959
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,463 Times in 514 Posts
basher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
There are definitely a few bold statements in that soliloquy . . . . Britain is crap at managing stuff!
Does it come much bolder than that?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25.01.2011, 15:48
ASWJ5570's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Erlenbach
Posts: 23
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
ASWJ5570 has earned some respectASWJ5570 has earned some respect
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

I am proud to be British (and I am Scottish!). We live here now so our kids can grow up in a stable, safe environment and have a future, I doubt that I can provide that if I brought them up in London sadly. The UK is going down the toilet, too many people coming in and not contributing to the system but getting benefits etc. Britain was a huge power with the Empire, survived two world wars because the British are made of strong stuff, a culture that was built on honesty and integrity has been hyjacked by the benefit culture and immigration overload. Little wonder the economy is slipping, old folks will go hungry having paid their taxes all their lives but there are hand-outs to all and sundry. I think that being part of the EU for Britain will not help make things better. David Cameron should look more at Switzerland and see that being separate had huge benefits, giving more control to the electorate and overall keeping Britain British should be his mantra! better than being in the EU. If the UK can ever sort out the problems of benefits and immigration then it may have a future but I fear that ship has already sailed.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25.01.2011, 16:05
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 757
Groaned at 67 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 602 Times in 337 Posts
flavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25.01.2011, 16:12
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,370 Times in 1,476 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
I am proud to be British (and I am Scottish!). We live here now so our kids can grow up in a stable, safe environment and have a future, I doubt that I can provide that if I brought them up in London sadly. The UK is going down the toilet, too many people coming in and not contributing to the system but getting benefits etc. Britain was a huge power with the Empire, survived two world wars because the British are made of strong stuff, a culture that was built on honesty and integrity has been hyjacked by the benefit culture and immigration overload. Little wonder the economy is slipping, old folks will go hungry having paid their taxes all their lives but there are hand-outs to all and sundry. I think that being part of the EU for Britain will not help make things better. David Cameron should look more at Switzerland and see that being separate had huge benefits, giving more control to the electorate and overall keeping Britain British should be his mantra! better than being in the EU. If the UK can ever sort out the problems of benefits and immigration then it may have a future but I fear that ship has already sailed.
Regarding immigrants taking all the benefits, it's something I hear a lot of, but have never seen figures that show immigrants taking all the benefits, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, could you point some out?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 25.01.2011, 16:15
Yopo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 316
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 246 Times in 133 Posts
Yopo has earned some respectYopo has earned some respect
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
I am proud to be British (and I am Scottish!). We live here now so our kids can grow up in a stable, safe environment and have a future, I doubt that I can provide that if I brought them up in London sadly. The UK is going down the toilet, too many people coming in and not contributing to the system but getting benefits etc. Britain was a huge power with the Empire, survived two world wars because the British are made of strong stuff, a culture that was built on honesty and integrity has been hyjacked by the benefit culture and immigration overload. Little wonder the economy is slipping, old folks will go hungry having paid their taxes all their lives but there are hand-outs to all and sundry. I think that being part of the EU for Britain will not help make things better. David Cameron should look more at Switzerland and see that being separate had huge benefits, giving more control to the electorate and overall keeping Britain British should be his mantra! better than being in the EU. If the UK can ever sort out the problems of benefits and immigration then it may have a future but I fear that ship has already sailed.

Uhmm, so if I am reading you correctly all those problems you quoted here for Britain are because of the immigrants?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Yopo for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 25.01.2011, 16:18
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,921
Groaned at 273 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 20,185 Times in 7,352 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proud of the UK: No trust in the EU

Quote:
View Post
a culture that was built on honesty and integrity has been hyjacked by the benefit culture and immigration overload. Little wonder the economy is slipping
I doubt that the economy is slipping because of immigrants or people on benefits. The UK economy went down thanks to a few non-immigrants doing not so honest things in the finance industry. But they did things that are too abstract to explain them in the daily mail... so they make bad scapegoats.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
brussels, europe, money, redtape




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very proud to be British. Or at least not Swiss Brightonite Daily life 200 02.11.2010 21:24
Meenu here....proud to be an Indian Meenu Introductions 6 31.12.2008 12:36
Zurich is Proud of its Public Toilet Facilities paulita Daily life 11 15.11.2008 21:38
Things that make blokes proud of themselves DanielL Jokes/funnies 4 20.11.2006 19:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0