Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #621  
Old 16.02.2011, 20:27
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,564
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,559 Times in 6,312 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Obama is being very guarded about his reaction to Iran. Over 200 members of the parliament have voted to execute the heads of the opposition parties. Some Iranians I know say that they wish they would execute them, perhaps that would bring about an insurmountable, massive outpouring of people onto the streets. I think that the Iranian regime was born in massive brutal bloodshed and it will die the same way. There are few things that I can't get my head to think about, but this is one that makes me physically sick. Plus Obama has a duty to the hikers. Washington has tried to join the Iranian tweeters, but there is an effective news blackout. The most promising sign to me is that Rafsanjani is managed to uphold a challenge from within the system itself. Yemen and Bahrain may escape the same massive bloodshed.
Quote from today " Iran: Students and academics have been arrested in a raid at a university in Tehran"

I thought there was a deal that raids in universities were not allowed? Typical for the Iran Govt. not to honour their own deals.
Reply With Quote
  #622  
Old 16.02.2011, 20:39
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,408
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

An other journalist victim of some vicious protesters during the Revolution.

Lara Logan has been sexually assault and beated up on a long period of time before a group of women and soldiers came to rescue her.

The story here.

How many other women like her were raped during the revolution and we will never hear of it...



Bless her heart and hopefully she will recover from it (as much as a victim can recover).
Reply With Quote
  #623  
Old 17.02.2011, 00:16
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
A. A pact was signed. please don't redefine the English language.
B. you said "Israel again and again violated even the most basic points of the agreement". I guess this one of your funny posts, like the one about Jihad being non violent and that Iran never supported terrorists.
A) NO, no pact was signed. And I do NOT redefine the English language. Exactly the article you showed clearly shows that no pact was signed. A peace agreement is not a pact. And back again, a member-state of the Arab League is NOT allowed to enter into a pact with any non-Arab country. And the Emir of Qatar shares my opinion about pacts. He however also does NOT redefine English. But YOU do !

B) Israel kept to the treaties by the points, but did not care about basic points to which it signed in these agreements. Israel simply ignored all assurances in regard to the Palestinians as Israel clearly knew that the Arabs were too weak to really oppose. No coincidence in view of the religion of the best lawyers in the world

C) Jihad is A) the Lesser Jihad which is the defence of Muslims attacked
and B) the Higher Jihad which is an attempt to improve the world

D) Iran since 1979 permanently supported terrorists, and was heavily involved in the Lockerbie matter, in bombings in Europe, and in a lot of terrorist attacks all over the globe. I am quite clearly accusing the post 1979 Iran leadership of having been the cradle of terrorism all along, and have done so for 3 decades
Reply With Quote
  #624  
Old 17.02.2011, 00:18
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,209
Groaned at 88 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Good news from Libya Bahrein Yemen Algeria! The liberation movement is growing. I would really really like to see Khadhaffi kicked out of his country and seeking asylum in Switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #625  
Old 17.02.2011, 02:49
hoppy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Still concern in Egypt over missing and arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12487907
Reply With Quote
  #626  
Old 17.02.2011, 15:40
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 419
Groaned at 169 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 1,532 Times in 826 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
A) NO, no pact was signed. And I do NOT redefine the English language. Exactly the article you showed clearly shows that no pact was signed. A peace agreement is not a pact. And back again, a member-state of the Arab League is NOT allowed to enter into a pact with any non-Arab country. And the Emir of Qatar shares my opinion about pacts. He however also does NOT redefine English. But YOU do !

B) Israel kept to the treaties by the points, but did not care about basic points to which it signed in these agreements. Israel simply ignored all assurances in regard to the Palestinians as Israel clearly knew that the Arabs were too weak to really oppose. No coincidence in view of the religion of the best lawyers in the world

C) Jihad is A) the Lesser Jihad which is the defence of Muslims attacked
and B) the Higher Jihad which is an attempt to improve the world

D) Iran since 1979 permanently supported terrorists, and was heavily involved in the Lockerbie matter, in bombings in Europe, and in a lot of terrorist attacks all over the globe. I am quite clearly accusing the post 1979 Iran leadership of having been the cradle of terrorism all along, and have done so for 3 decades
A. Both Iran & Qatar agree they signed a defense pact. maybe they should listen to you.

B. you still falied to provide any example of "basic points to which it signed in these agreements" which Israel didn't fulfill.

C. his must be comforting for the people killed by "The Islamic Jihad" or Jihadis from Chechniya to Algeria.

D. You contradict yourself - you said that Iran never supported Palestinian terrorists.
Reply With Quote
  #627  
Old 17.02.2011, 23:08
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]


What is up with ex-Middle East dictators and comas?

'Deposed Tunisian president is in a coma'

A euphemism for being deposed by the CIA?
Reply With Quote
  #628  
Old 17.02.2011, 23:36
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,209
Groaned at 88 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
What is up with ex-Middle East dictators and comas?

'Deposed Tunisian president is in a coma'

A euphemism for being deposed by the CIA?
because it's first time the brain working again to find out how to live after being ousted: makes a crash like computer.
Reply With Quote
  #629  
Old 18.02.2011, 00:44
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,564
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,559 Times in 6,312 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
because it's first time the brain working again to find out how to live after being ousted: makes a crash like computer.
maybe because they believed their own fixed elections like 95% votes & now have to face reality??
Reply With Quote
  #630  
Old 18.02.2011, 04:59
hoppy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

I'm telling you-they all took the same prestigious school of management (dictator-style)course. Meanwhile it seems as if the demonstrators took this course.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/wo...harp.html?_r=1

as many are claiming, but not according to Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert....html?ir=Media
Reply With Quote
  #631  
Old 18.02.2011, 16:00
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,564
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,559 Times in 6,312 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

From today's newspapers - stunning if it is true?

"Senior officers in Iran's Revolutionary Guards have written a letter to their commanding officer demanding assurances that they will not be required to open fire on anti-government demonstrators.
Following the recent violence that occurred during anti-government protests in Egypt, the officers argue that it is against the principles of Shi'ite Islamic law to use violence against their own people.
In the letter, which is signed by senior officers commanding Guards units in Tehran, Qom, Isfahan and Tabriz, they urge Major Gen Jafari to "use your authority over the Basij to order them to leave their truncheons at home next time."
Reply With Quote
  #632  
Old 18.02.2011, 16:29
hoppy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
From today's newspapers - stunning if it is true?

"Senior officers in Iran's Revolutionary Guards have written a letter to their commanding officer demanding assurances that they will not be required to open fire on anti-government demonstrators.
Following the recent violence that occurred during anti-government protests in Egypt, the officers argue that it is against the principles of Shi'ite Islamic law to use violence against their own people.
In the letter, which is signed by senior officers commanding Guards units in Tehran, Qom, Isfahan and Tabriz, they urge Major Gen Jafari to "use your authority over the Basij to order them to leave their truncheons at home next time."
Inshallah! Note- to self- O Ye of little faith!

Most say it can't be true but....

Quote:
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was slapped in the face by Revolutionary Guard Chief of Staff Mohammed Ali Jafari. According to the cable, Ahmadinejad surprised the Supreme National Security Council by taking a liberal posture on opposition protests. The president allegedly argued that people felt "suffocated," and that allowing more social and personal freedoms, as well as more freedom of the press, would help to defuse the situation.

Chief of Staff Mohammed Ali Jafari apparently disagreed. The cable, dated February 11, 2010, reads: According to source, Ahmedinejad's statements infuriated Revolutionary Guard Chief of Staff Mohammed Ali Jafari, who exclaimed "You are wrong! (In fact) it is YOU who created this mess! And now you say give more freedom to the press?!" Source said that Jafarli then slapped Ahmedinejad in the face, causing an uproar and an immediate call for a break in the meeting, which was never resumed.
It's on Huffington Post and Fox News.

Last edited by hoppy; 18.02.2011 at 16:51.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #633  
Old 19.02.2011, 13:47
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
A. Both Iran & Qatar agree they signed a defense pact. maybe they should listen to you.

B. you still falied to provide any example of "basic points to which it signed in these agreements" which Israel didn't fulfill.

C. his must be comforting for the people killed by "The Islamic Jihad" or Jihadis from Chechniya to Algeria.

D. You contradict yourself - you said that Iran never supported Palestinian terrorists.
A) A look into history tells you that there is a non-attack agreement between France and Switzerland, but out of neutrality NO pact. And exactly what you contributed shows that it is NOT a pact, but only a non-attack agreement. A pact would mean that each side would help the other side in case of attack, and this is NOT the case.

B) Israel signed peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan and kept perfectly to the articles of them, BUT simply ignored assurances it had given to King Hussein bin Talal and to President Anwar Sadat. King Hussein transferred the Jordanian claims for the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Territory to the P.L.O. and Israel assured him that they would support this accordingly. Again, King Hussein did not want to have in the treaty, as it was NOT part of Israeli-Jordanian relations.

C) "Islamic Jihad" is the name of an organisation. That they claim to improve the world is indeed strange. "Jihadis" is just a media term. Why ? Because such extremists always claim to be "under attack" by Israel, by the West and by everybody.

D) Iran never supported Palestinian terrorists ? Yes AND no. Not financing Hamas is one thing, supplying Saudi-Arabian financed weapons to Hamas the other side. Supplying Hamas with weapons and "expertise" for Iran is big and good business. How far on the KSA side the top leadership is really and actively involved may be unclear, but THAT Hamas gets its financing from inside the KSA is perfectly clear.

D-2) that you in case of Hamas emphasize the terrorist nature of that organisation is one thing, that Hamas first of all is extremist, arch-conservative/reactionary, anti-liberal, intolerant, anti-progressive, restrictive, totalitarian and oppressive however is the REAL problem.

D-3) Iran out of its own never really supported any Palestinians, except in words. To make business which strengthens the position of its weapons industry may be regarded as "support" while it is just doing business.
Reply With Quote
  #634  
Old 19.02.2011, 13:55
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
What is up with ex-Middle East dictators and comas?

'Deposed Tunisian president is in a coma'

A euphemism for being deposed by the CIA?

The "Coma" mentioned apparently is the result of two quite different matters.

Abidine Ben Ali according to the report had a stroke but before that was in good health. He of course had to see all of his positions, politically, personally and financially crashing to the ground. He had to flee to a country he always clearly DISliked out of necessity. Enough reasons to get a stroke !

Hosni Mubarak has been in bad health, extremely bad health, for quite some time, and most likely is dementia-ridden, so that a deterioration is hardly a sensation.

What they have in common is what they were in the past and the coma. I might expect Ben Ali to survive, but Mubarak to pass away (even if that may take some time). Ben Ali, when having recovered and when the waves about him and the corruption of his whole clan will have settled down, of course will move from the KSA to the FR !
Reply With Quote
  #635  
Old 19.02.2011, 16:24
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,564
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,559 Times in 6,312 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
From today's newspapers - stunning if it is true?

"Senior officers in Iran's Revolutionary Guards have written a letter to their commanding officer demanding assurances that they will not be required to open fire on anti-government demonstrators.
Following the recent violence that occurred during anti-government protests in Egypt, the officers argue that it is against the principles of Shi'ite Islamic law to use violence against their own people.
In the letter, which is signed by senior officers commanding Guards units in Tehran, Qom, Isfahan and Tabriz, they urge Major Gen Jafari to "use your authority over the Basij to order them to leave their truncheons at home next time."
Anybody heard more about this? were there denials from Iran?
Reply With Quote
  #636  
Old 19.02.2011, 18:28
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Anybody heard more about this? were there denials from Iran?
You will never hear anything from Iranian officialdom. Because the Basij are a militia under direct command of the Mullahcracy, while the officers of the Revolutionary Guard at the same time are officers of the Armed Forces, and so, due to the dominance of Azeris among them are Turkish speaking, AND are rather secularist generally. AND, in the last upheaval, the armed forces had to help out President Ahmedinejad, who then became dependent on the armed forces. An interesting development.
Reply With Quote
  #637  
Old 19.02.2011, 19:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,564
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,559 Times in 6,312 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
You will never hear anything from Iranian officialdom. Because the Basij are a militia under direct command of the Mullahcracy, while the officers of the Revolutionary Guard at the same time are officers of the Armed Forces, and so, due to the dominance of Azeris among them are Turkish speaking, AND are rather secularist generally. AND, in the last upheaval, the armed forces had to help out President Ahmedinejad, who then became dependent on the armed forces. An interesting development.
Well if the Govt. does not deny it then the implication is it is true & they want to avoid upsetting RG. The mullahs well know they only defeated the Shah because the army stopped supporting him
Reply With Quote
  #638  
Old 19.02.2011, 21:45
hoppy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Well if the Govt. does not deny it then the implication is it is true & they want to avoid upsetting RG. The mullahs well know they only defeated the Shah because the army stopped supporting him
All I know is that Rafsanjani has done a 180 degree-turn and condemned the anti- government protests. He has received death threats and it seemed likely that he would be killed. With Mousavi and Karroubi under house arrest it seems like the demonstrators are on their own tommorow. To my mind the regime may regret not allowing Rafsanjani to steer the demonstrations. Many want the same system that Turkey has, which means the end to theocratic rule.
Reply With Quote
  #639  
Old 19.02.2011, 22:24
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,564
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,559 Times in 6,312 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
All I know is that Rafsanjani has done a 180 degree-turn and condemned the anti- government protests. He has received death threats and it seemed likely that he would be killed. With Mousavi and Karroubi under house arrest it seems like the demonstrators are on their own tommorow. To my mind the regime may regret not allowing Rafsanjani to steer the demonstrations. Many want the same system that Turkey has, which means the end to theocratic rule.
They are also talking about firing Rafsanjani from the head of Expediency Council.
All depends on the Revolutionary Guard; I assume they will do nothing but if they do take sides with anti- government protests then life will get interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #640  
Old 19.02.2011, 22:55
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 419
Groaned at 169 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 1,532 Times in 826 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Meanwhile, in Egypt - The Army (De facto rulers) bans strikes. Not a democracy yet.


So far there have been 365 confirmed deaths - total number expected to be much higher. and this is in a "peaceful" revolution.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egypt, marches




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Hosni Mubarak your "friend" on Facebook? Dougal's Breakfast International affairs/politics 3 06.02.2011 18:00
Merz resigns from Federal Government MrVertigo Swiss politics/news 7 06.08.2010 23:40
Day skiing on 30/31 Jan near Zurich ? Gntforever Social events 3 26.01.2010 15:32
Fidel Castro resigns as Cuban President Natasha International affairs/politics 35 30.06.2009 14:44
Jan 21 the saddest day of the year? Nev General off-topic 19 21.01.2008 23:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0