Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #981  
Old 30.09.2011, 09:54
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 419
Groaned at 169 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 1,536 Times in 830 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Maybe me and you should sit, have a drink and talk sometime...I'm serious
First you call me a retard then invite me for a drink - you sound like an Egyptian politician already.

Whenever you are on the right side of the Röstigraben let me know. I'll get the EU to pay for our drinks,food and 5 star accommodation (peace is not cheap, you know)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Pashosh for this useful post:
  #982  
Old 06.10.2011, 20:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,572
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,578 Times in 6,323 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
First you call me a retard then invite me for a drink - you sound like an Egyptian politician already.

Whenever you are on the right side of the Röstigraben let me know. I'll get the EU to pay for our drinks,food and 5 star accommodation (peace is not cheap, you know)
from todays paper "According to the military's schedule the subsequent writing of a new constitution, followed by a national referendum, means that presidential elections will probably not be held until well in 2013 – with SCAF likely to continue ruling the country until then."

2013
Reply With Quote
  #983  
Old 07.10.2011, 03:55
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
First you call me a retard then invite me for a drink - you sound like an Egyptian politician already.

Whenever you are on the right side of the Röstigraben let me know. I'll get the EU to pay for our drinks,food and 5 star accommodation (peace is not cheap, you know)

Do you allow me to join the meeting (and most of all the drinks ?!) I mean if the EU pays I may stay overnight with you even if the the chosen EU place is less than a km from my flat
Reply With Quote
  #984  
Old 07.10.2011, 04:05
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
from todays paper "According to the military's schedule the subsequent writing of a new constitution, followed by a national referendum, means that presidential elections will probably not be held until well in 2013 – with SCAF likely to continue ruling the country until then."

2013
fairly distant, true, but possibly realistic. I hope that people in positions in Egypt will do something to limit the centralist structure which survived in Egypt out of Pharaonic times.

Look at the "provincial governors" who right now simply are the clowns of the central government. They should be elected in their governarates. I mean, look to France which just two 0r three decades ago was totally centralist but in the meantime has changed considerably. Let's not be fixed onto the central government in Cairo The required changes may take some time which is alright IF they really are DONE !

Yes, M... already sounds as if being a member of the new Basha-class of Cairo, which indeed is a bit irritating, to put it mildly. Let's not forget that King Farouk when starting office had a good and almost progressive reputatation
Reply With Quote
  #985  
Old 09.10.2011, 01:06
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 419
Groaned at 169 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 1,536 Times in 830 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
... I mean, look to France which just two 0r three decades ago was totally centralist but in the meantime has changed considerably...
Comparing Egypt to France is like comparing Dan Brown to Shakespeare - both are well published fiction writers, after all.
Reply With Quote
  #986  
Old 09.10.2011, 12:07
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,572
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,578 Times in 6,323 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Comparing Egypt to France is like comparing Dan Brown to Shakespeare - both are well published fiction writers, after all.
who is Shakespeare?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #987  
Old 09.10.2011, 15:43
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 419
Groaned at 169 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 1,536 Times in 830 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
who is Shakespeare?
The man who invented the vibrating harpoon, Dawn French's husband.
Reply With Quote
  #988  
Old 09.10.2011, 19:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,572
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,578 Times in 6,323 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
The man who invented the vibrating harpoon, Dawn French's husband.
I suppose he needed it?
Reply With Quote
  #989  
Old 09.10.2011, 22:53
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,572
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,578 Times in 6,323 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Lot of birth pains
"Six dead as thousands riot in Cairo's Tahrir Square At least six people were killed as fierce clashes erupted between Christians protesting over a recent attack on a church and the Egyptian military on Sunday night. "
Reply With Quote
  #990  
Old 10.10.2011, 01:34
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
I suppose he needed it?
I am possibly alone, but I
- do not know who that man is
- do not know who his wife was
- do not know what harpoon is spoken about




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
View Post
Lot of birth pains
"Six dead as thousands riot in Cairo's Tahrir Square At least six people were killed as fierce clashes erupted between Christians protesting over a recent attack on a church and the Egyptian military on Sunday night. "
this shows that a good part of the Egyptian military still is totalitarian minded and not yet used to even the most minimal extent of democracy, which in my mind really is a problem

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #991  
Old 10.10.2011, 12:03
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,572
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,578 Times in 6,323 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------



this shows that a good part of the Egyptian military still is totalitarian minded and not yet used to even the most minimal extent of democracy, which in my mind really is a problem

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agree;
today they are saying 24 dead.
I suppose they do not want to start a civil war but I believe 10% are Coptic Christian?
Reply With Quote
  #992  
Old 11.10.2011, 13:03
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,572
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,578 Times in 6,323 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Agree;
today they are saying 24 dead.
I suppose they do not want to start a civil war but I believe 10% are Coptic Christian?
Interesting; all the people who were rightly upset about 5 Egyptian soldiers being killed in the Sinai are unconcerned about this killing?
Reply With Quote
  #993  
Old 11.10.2011, 13:13
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,250
Groaned at 181 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 17,605 Times in 7,476 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
fairly distant, true, but possibly realistic. I hope that people in positions in Egypt will do something to limit the centralist structure which survived in Egypt out of Pharaonic times.

Look at the "provincial governors" who right now simply are the clowns of the central government. They should be elected in their governarates. I mean, look to France which just two 0r three decades ago was totally centralist but in the meantime has changed considerably. Let's not be fixed onto the central government in Cairo The required changes may take some time which is alright IF they really are DONE !
Arabic countries are often accused of retaining strong tribalist power structures that often get in the way of modernisation and progress. Maybe the centralist nature of Egypt has nothing to do with pharaonic times but is the result of a post colonialist attempt to move beyond those tribal structures? Egypt was long considered one of the most progressive of Arab nations, and there is a reason for that.
Reply With Quote
  #994  
Old 11.10.2011, 16:42
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,428
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Interesting; all the people who were rightly upset about 5 Egyptian soldiers being killed in the Sinai are unconcerned about this killing?
Well, this might be your point of view being in Switzerland, I just arrived yesterday to Egypt after hearing about these events to be part of the action groups to halt these demonic plans to divide us and rule us by force, what the media is not be reporting (As it doesn't serve their economical and political agendas) is we "The muslims" have organized civil protection groups now to protect our fellow Christians against any attack from any one whomever they are and before they take a single Christian life next, they will have to kill at least the 10 muslims who are protecting him/her.

Everyone seems to evaluate the situation in Egypt only the political level but what we have in Egypt is way much bigger than politics.....we do have solidarity and we will defend our country and people no matter what it takes.

So the good news is, Christians will be safe from now on and we will help them get their rights back no matter what it takes, cause we all agree Copts have living in Egypt way before muslims existed and they're a key element of the Egyptian society
__________________
Silence is an argument carried out by other means.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Mowvich for this useful post:
  #995  
Old 11.10.2011, 20:37
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,572
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,578 Times in 6,323 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Well, this might be your point of view being in Switzerland, I just arrived yesterday to Egypt after hearing about these events to be part of the action groups to halt these demonic plans to divide us and rule us by force, what the media is not be reporting (As it doesn't serve their economical and political agendas) is we "The muslims" have organized civil protection groups now to protect our fellow Christians against any attack from any one whomever they are and before they take a single Christian life next, they will have to kill at least the 10 muslims who are protecting him/her.

Everyone seems to evaluate the situation in Egypt only the political level but what we have in Egypt is way much bigger than politics.....we do have solidarity and we will defend our country and people no matter what it takes.

So the good news is, Christians will be safe from now on and we will help them get their rights back no matter what it takes, cause we all agree Copts have living in Egypt way before muslims existed and they're a key element of the Egyptian society
For some strange technical reason I cannot see "thanks" to click on. Anyway good to know & you have my full support.

After I wrote this the "thanks" button re-appeared so I could click on it & did so
Reply With Quote
  #996  
Old 12.10.2011, 00:15
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Agree;
today they are saying 24 dead.
I suppose they do not want to start a civil war but I believe 10% are Coptic Christian?
Official figures (if somebody does NOT indicate a religion in the forms he/she is counted as a Sunni-Muslim) give 10%, it in reality is far more. And do not forget that there is the Syrian-Catholic community centred in Damietta and the many Greek-Orthodox who care for the Egyptian wines and many other Christians in the major cities of that nations.

And NO, in spite of all the emotions and all the turmoil I do NOT believe that anybody wants to start a civil war. Things simply got out of control.

I have been enroute in Egypt as pedestrian and as car-driver, and it to me is clear that when things go wrong in cities like Cairo and Alexandria, 20 or 30 people dead cannot be that surprising.
Reply With Quote
  #997  
Old 12.10.2011, 00:17
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Interesting; all the people who were rightly upset about 5 Egyptian soldiers being killed in the Sinai are unconcerned about this killing?
Sorry, ALL reports from Egypt clearly show that most Egyptians are extremely concerned and upset about this killing ! And an obviously well educated woman was almost in tears about it all.
Reply With Quote
  #998  
Old 12.10.2011, 00:25
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,572
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,578 Times in 6,323 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, ALL reports from Egypt clearly show that most Egyptians are extremely concerned and upset about this killing ! And an obviously well educated woman was almost in tears about it all.
I meant the people in this forum not the Egyptian population.

There are clearly decent people, for example, "Egypt's finance minister and deputy prime minister has resigned in protest over the government handling of weekend protests that left 26 dead, most of them Coptic Christians, an aide to the minister said."
Reply With Quote
  #999  
Old 12.10.2011, 00:31
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Well, this might be your point of view being in Switzerland, I just arrived yesterday to Egypt after hearing about these events to be part of the action groups to halt these demonic plans to divide us and rule us by force, what the media is not be reporting (As it doesn't serve their economical and political agendas) is we "The muslims" have organized civil protection groups now to protect our fellow Christians against any attack from any one whomever they are and before they take a single Christian life next, they will have to kill at least the 10 muslims who are protecting him/her.

Everyone seems to evaluate the situation in Egypt only the political level but what we have in Egypt is way much bigger than politics.....we do have solidarity and we will defend our country and people no matter what it takes.

So the good news is, Christians will be safe from now on and we will help them get their rights back no matter what it takes, cause we all agree Copts have living in Egypt way before muslims existed and they're a key element of the Egyptian society
"Being in Switzerland" hardly gives a reason to feel above it all. With the number of people usually around in Egypt, something like the Letzigraben incident (FCZ/GC) inevitably would have resulted in dozens of deaths, and this just for a bit of football !
Reply With Quote
  #1000  
Old 19.11.2011, 20:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,572
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,578 Times in 6,323 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

seems to be getting lively again
"Violent clashes have returned to central Cairo after government security forces opened fire on thousands of protesters who had been demonstrating against the military junta. Egyptian state TV reported 81 people were injured in clashes with police in Tahrir Square."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egypt, marches




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Hosni Mubarak your "friend" on Facebook? Dougal's Breakfast International affairs/politics 3 06.02.2011 18:00
Merz resigns from Federal Government MrVertigo Swiss politics/news 7 06.08.2010 23:40
Day skiing on 30/31 Jan near Zurich ? Gntforever Social events 3 26.01.2010 15:32
Fidel Castro resigns as Cuban President Natasha International affairs/politics 35 30.06.2009 14:44
Jan 21 the saddest day of the year? Nev General off-topic 19 21.01.2008 23:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0