Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.01.2011, 14:30
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,280
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,729 Times in 1,753 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Posh and Posher: Why Public School Boys Run Britain

In this provocative documentary, Andrew Neil seeks to find out why politicians from all parties appear to be drawn from an ever smaller social pool - and why it matters to us all.

Watch tonight BBC2: IPlayer
Read more: BBC Article

************************************************** ******

Will be interesting to see Andrew Neil's take on this tonight...

_
Attached Thumbnails
does-narrow-social-elite-run-country-uk-_50957944_sign.464.jpg   does-narrow-social-elite-run-country-uk-b00y37gk_366_206.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.01.2011, 14:40
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Does this really deserve a programme.
The answer is yes, the same as in every other country.
It is why doing away with a non-elected house is the stupidest idea ever.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank PlantHead for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 26.01.2011, 14:46
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

They got mods there too?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.01.2011, 15:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

If thieving, drinking, smoking and spitting on pavements were skills necessary for effective government, then perhaps one might see more representatives of the lower orders in parliament.

Until that day, it looks like we'll just have to invite those with a decent education to do the job for us.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.01.2011, 16:26
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
If thieving, drinking, smoking and spitting on pavements were skills necessary for effective government, then perhaps one might see more representatives of the lower orders in parliament.

Until that day, it looks like we'll just have to invite those with a decent education to do the job for us.

The main problem as I see it at the moment with Politicians is that they are career Politicians.

They come out of School and begin being a Politician.
Previously Politicians had a job first and then became an MP, that meant that they were at least motivated to take up Politics hopefully to improve things they hated and that they had experience of other things in life other than being in a Political Party.
It also meant you very often got a much broader range of people being MP's.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PlantHead for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 26.01.2011, 16:53
cricketer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: near zurich
Posts: 1,196
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 427 Posts
cricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Proles - who cares - let them eat cake. (if they can afford to buy it).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.01.2011, 17:15
Orla's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 91
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Orla has no particular reputation at present
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Not only an English problem, its shocking the number of political families in Ireland too.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.01.2011, 17:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
View Post
Not only an English problem, its shocking the number of political families in Ireland too.
Wouldn't it be easier and faster to name the European country that isn't run by a narrow social elite?


Can't think of anythink more tedious than Brillo Neil on his favourite public_schoo /Oxbridge hobbyhorse - hohum

He should become a policitan himself, you know - then he could get out there and press the flesh

Attachment 22828

Last edited by weejeem; 14.10.2011 at 15:03.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 26.01.2011, 17:38
SamWeiseVielleicht's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 725
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 893 Times in 397 Posts
SamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
View Post
The main problem as I see it at the moment with Politicians is that they are career Politicians.

They come out of School and begin being a Politician.
Previously Politicians had a job first and then became an MP, that meant that they were at least motivated to take up Politics hopefully to improve things they hated and that they had experience of other things in life other than being in a Political Party.
It also meant you very often got a much broader range of people being MP's.
Somebody has read his Weber.

Out of interest: Was that actually the case in the UK. As far is I heard from different people, the commons were never that "common" after all. But I must confess that my knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to the intrinsicacies of society in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27.01.2011, 09:27
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
View Post
Somebody has read his Weber.

Out of interest: Was that actually the case in the UK. As far is I heard from different people, the commons were never that "common" after all. But I must confess that my knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to the intrinsicacies of society in the UK.

Actually I haven't but it sounds like I should, who is Weber?

I'm not a Parliamentary historian but the Commons were never full of Dave the builder types however you did get Generals, leaders of Industry, Authors...people who had been successful in other fields then turning their hand to Politics....rather than today where you have people who have only ever been Politicians.


Quote:
View Post
Wouldn't it be easier and faster to name the European country that isn't run by a narrow social elite?
Lets not limit ourselves to Europe.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PlantHead for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 27.01.2011, 09:45
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
View Post
Actually I haven't but it sounds like I should, who is Weber?

I'm not a Parliamentary historian but the Commons were never full of Dave the builder types however you did get Generals, leaders of Industry, Authors...people who had been successful in other fields then turning their hand to Politics....rather than today where you have people who have only ever been Politicians.



Lets not limit ourselves to Europe.

Major, Wilson, Thatcher and I believe Heath were products of state education ...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27.01.2011, 10:10
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
If thieving, drinking, smoking and spitting on pavements were skills necessary for effective government, then perhaps one might see more representatives of the lower orders in parliament.

Until that day, it looks like we'll just have to invite those with a decent education to do the job for us.
Swap thieving with drug taking & those are all the things I was doing at University
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27.01.2011, 10:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
View Post
Swap thieving with drug taking & those are all the things I was doing at University
Are you a Member of Parliament in the United Kingdom?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27.01.2011, 10:18
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
View Post
The main problem as I see it at the moment with Politicians is that they are career Politicians.

They come out of School and begin being a Politician.
I think this is the problem, regardless of which school system they came out of, but in my humble opinion people who come out of a private school, go to university and then straight into politics are somewhat out of touch with the public.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27.01.2011, 10:19
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
Are you a Member of Parliament in the United Kingdom?
No, I am not. I did think about trying to be one but I'm quite uncomfortable with myself when constantly lying & cheating
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27.01.2011, 10:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
View Post
No, I am not.
There you go, then.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 27.01.2011, 10:54
SamWeiseVielleicht's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 725
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 893 Times in 397 Posts
SamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
View Post
Actually I haven't but it sounds like I should, who is Weber?

I'm not a Parliamentary historian but the Commons were never full of Dave the builder types however you did get Generals, leaders of Industry, Authors...people who had been successful in other fields then turning their hand to Politics....rather than today where you have people who have only ever been Politicians.
Thanks.

Maximilian "Max" Weber was a german sociologist and political economist who is regarded as one of the founding fathers of sociology.

Among other themes (such as the protestant work ethic) he gave one of the most seminal lectures in political sociology titled "Politics as a vocation" where he discussed (among other topics, such as the state's legitimate monopoly on violence) the transformations of the state and the ensueing changes regarding the "nature" of politicians.

The text is here:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/moriyuki/abuk..._vocation.html


Wikipedia has an excellent article on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Weber
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank SamWeiseVielleicht for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 27.01.2011, 10:59
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 642
Groaned at 219 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,024 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does a narrow social elite run the country? [UK that is]

Quote:
View Post
Not only an English problem, its shocking the number of political families in Ireland too.
Completely different , Irish politicians are immeasurably worse - here's our current prime minister canvassing local support :



Ireland has had 3 decades of completely shit Fianna Fail politicians - from Haughey on - none of which would have lasted one month in the UK (Northern Ireland excepted - see Sinn Fein).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
social elite rule world




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to learn ski-touring / back-country cross country skiing mjjnl Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 38 27.11.2008 11:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0