Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #581  
Old 23.08.2011, 18:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Anyone care to wager, once the fighting's over, how quickly Gaddafi's health will fail and he'll be "too ill to face trial"?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #582  
Old 23.08.2011, 18:44
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Anyone care to wager, once the fighting's over, how quickly Gaddafi's health will fail and he'll be "too ill to face trial"?
I thought he would go to Venezuela and not face trial?

Former PM says he's on his way

Mr Hague was asked if Britain, or other Western countries, knew if Col. Gaddafi had left Tripoli.
“About whether Col. Gaddafi, is in Venezuela, I have no information that says he is although I have seen some information that suggests he is on his way there,” he said.
British officials stressed that Mr Hague was referring “not to media reports but information from other channels”. “This is credible information,” said a diplomat.


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rotesters.html


I would just SO SO SO love to be a fly on the wall during these events, tofollow Saif in his armoured car driving through Tripoli , or the Ghaddafi neetings ferrying and scurrying. I love reading about them- they are so exciting. OOOOOOOh I am on excitement overload
Reply With Quote
  #583  
Old 23.08.2011, 23:55
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 449
Groaned at 222 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,002 Posts
Pashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisance
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Photoshopped ?

Reply With Quote
  #584  
Old 23.08.2011, 23:59
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Saif appeared outside the hotel - one of the remaining hold-outs for Gadhafi loyalists - in a convoy of armored Land Cruisers. Chance said he spoke to Saif briefly and took a photo of him.

Saif said his father and the rest of the family were in Tripoli, and that the rebels had been "lured into a trap."
[/URL]
Quote:
[URL="http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/22/live-blog-battle-for-libya-gadhafi-stronghold-under-assault/"]
He clearly was NOT arrested. The man is unique in a way, and in the past has done many good things including helping to liberate Western hostages in the Philippines, helping victims of the Tsunami, launching development aid programs between Casablanca and Manila and much more. So that I hope he in the end finds a way to escape. With his courage and his non-orthodox ways very well possible.

He talks rubbish and possibly is a bit out of touch. Just hope for his best that he has retained some guts.-

************************************************** ***************************

Quote:
View Post
Anyone care to wager, once the fighting's over, how quickly Gaddafi's health will fail and he'll be "too ill to face trial"?
This all depends on how the matter will end.
> Where exactly is Muammer al-Khaddafi ?
> Will he be caught by the rebel forces alive ?
> Will he find a last minute escape to a place of asylum ?
> Will he die in the terminal fighting ?

************************************************** ******************************
Reply With Quote
  #585  
Old 24.08.2011, 10:38
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,800
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,723 Times in 11,407 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
I thought he would go to Venezuela and not face trial?

Former PM says he's on his way

Mr Hague was asked if Britain, or other Western countries, knew if Col. Gaddafi had left Tripoli.
“About whether Col. Gaddafi, is in Venezuela, I have no information that says he is although I have seen some information that suggests he is on his way there,” he said.
British officials stressed that Mr Hague was referring “not to media reports but information from other channels”. “This is credible information,” said a diplomat.


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rotesters.html


I would just SO SO SO love to be a fly on the wall during these events, tofollow Saif in his armoured car driving through Tripoli , or the Ghaddafi neetings ferrying and scurrying. I love reading about them- they are so exciting. OOOOOOOh I am on excitement overload
That Daily Telegraph link was from last February.
Ghaddafi must be taking the slow route.....

So far as I can see it is all over in Libya except the shouting.
Ghaddafi remains free with some supporters but I doubt enough people to start the civil war that was forecast or to recover major objectives like Tripoli.
I believe there is still a risk of a civil war between the different factions but I do not see Ghaddafi being a major player in that.

I see they found Ghaddafi's golf cart & are driving it around
Reply With Quote
  #586  
Old 24.08.2011, 10:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,800
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,723 Times in 11,407 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
He clearly was NOT arrested. The man is unique in a way, and in the past has done many good things including helping to liberate Western hostages in the Philippines, helping victims of the Tsunami, launching development aid programs between Casablanca and Manila and much more. So that I hope he in the end finds a way to escape. With his courage and his non-orthodox ways very well possible.

He talks rubbish and possibly is a bit out of touch. Just hope for his best that he has retained some guts.-

************************************************** ******************************
Whatever Saif did in the past he missed the opportunity to stop the killings at an early stage & seemed to be personally instrumental in more bloodshed so I hope he gets the same treatment as all murderers.
Reply With Quote
  #587  
Old 24.08.2011, 10:43
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
I see they found Ghaddafi's golf cart & are driving it around
I particularly like the pic of the guy, called Al Windi I believe, wearing Ghaddafi's white hat, bling chain and holding his sceptre .
Reply With Quote
  #588  
Old 24.08.2011, 11:19
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,800
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,723 Times in 11,407 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
I particularly like the pic of the guy, called Al Windi I believe, wearing Ghaddafi's white hat, bling chain and holding his sceptre .
Link? please a link?
Reply With Quote
  #589  
Old 24.08.2011, 11:32
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Link? please a link?
Check out the picture slide show on today's Telegraph page
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #590  
Old 24.08.2011, 15:06
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
That Daily Telegraph link was from last February.
Ghaddafi must be taking the slow route.....

So far as I can see it is all over in Libya except the shouting.
Ghaddafi remains free with some supporters but I doubt enough people to start the civil war that was forecast or to recover major objectives like Tripoli.
I believe there is still a risk of a civil war between the different factions but I do not see Ghaddafi being a major player in that.

I see they found Ghaddafi's golf cart & are driving it around
I am so embarrassed- I got too carried away- thanks fro pointing out the date!
Reply With Quote
  #591  
Old 24.08.2011, 16:12
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

To say thank you to Marton for pointing out my error- I know you will enjoy this:

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #592  
Old 24.08.2011, 17:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,800
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,723 Times in 11,407 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
I particularly like the pic of the guy, called Al Windi I believe, wearing Ghaddafi's white hat, bling chain and holding his sceptre .
Actually the guy standing behind him looks remarkably like Saif; maybe someone should tell the rebels??
Reply With Quote
  #593  
Old 24.08.2011, 22:29
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Actually the guy standing behind him looks remarkably like Saif; maybe someone should tell the rebels??
Saif-al-Islam looks/looked like lots of people in North Africa. And so, this may be his way into freedom outside of the country.
Reply With Quote
  #594  
Old 25.08.2011, 22:41
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,729
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,260 Times in 5,479 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Ladies and Gents,

The fall of Muammar Gaddafi has been called at 10:02pm (CET) on Thursday, August 25, 2011 by the former 9th Governor of the State of Alaska.

<Start>
We join the Libyan people in gratefulness as we hear of Col. Gaddafi’s defeat. The fall of a tyrant and sponsor of terrorism is a great day for freedom-loving people around the world. But the path to democracy in Libya is not complete, and we must make wise choices to ensure that our national interests are protected.

First, the White House needs to avoid triumphalism. Gaddafi may be gone, but the fighting may not be complete. As we’ve seen in Kosovo, Bosnia, Iraq, and Afghanistan, we must not celebrate too quickly. There are now mounting concerns that we will see tribal and sectarian fighting in Libya like we saw in Iraq. Let’s hope that is not the case, but it must be prepared for.

Second, we must be very concerned about the future government that will emerge to take Gaddafi’s place. History teaches that those with the guns usually prevail when a coalition overthrows a tyrant. We must remember that military power ultimately resides with the rebel commanders. This should be a source of some concern. The armed opposition to Gaddafi is an outgrowth of a group called Islamic Libya Fighting Group, and some rebel commanders admit that they have Al Qaeda links. The rebel fighters are from different tribes, and they have a variety of political views. Some are Islamists, some appear to favor some sort of western democracy. We should work through diplomatic means to help those who want democracy to come out on top.

That said, we should not commit U.S. troops or military assets to serve as peacekeepers or perform humanitarian missions or nation-building in Libya. Our military is already over-committed and strained, and a vaguely designed mission can be the first step toward a quagmire. The internal situation does not seem stable enough for U.S. forces to operate in a purely humanitarian manner without the possibility of coming under attack. Troop deployment to Libya would mean placing America’s finest in a potentially hostile zone that is not in our vital national security interest.

Finally, we must make sure that terrorist groups don’t try to co-opt the revolution, as Al Qaeda is trying to do in Syria. We should continue to use our intelligence assets to monitor the situation in Libya to ensure that potentially dangerous weapons are secured, and that terrorist organizations such as Al Qaeda don’t gain a foothold in Libya.

People of Libya, be vigilant. May this opportunity be used to build a free and peaceful country.

- Sarah Palin
<end>
Reply With Quote
  #595  
Old 26.08.2011, 01:25
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Ladies and Gents,

The fall of Muammar Gaddafi has been called at 10:02pm (CET) on Thursday, August 25, 2011 by the former 9th Governor of the State of Alaska.

<Start>
We join the Libyan people in gratefulness as we hear of Col. Gaddafi’s defeat.

People of Libya, be vigilant. May this opportunity be used to build a free and peaceful country.

- Sarah Palin
<end>

Not that badly written. I wonder if the author will be the same author who writes her autobiography after the bus tour.

So far all the intelligence successes have been on Obama's watch, still there's a lot of Bush's failures to try to clear up. I wonder how masterful Rick Perry's command of intelligence is
Reply With Quote
  #596  
Old 26.08.2011, 01:32
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Poor Sarah Palin. Unless you go to her church you have links to Al Qaeda.
Reply With Quote
  #597  
Old 26.08.2011, 01:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Perhaps someone with a bit of edookashion can help me - I was having a conversation earlier this evening about this very thread with my OH, and was asked a couple of tricky questions, one of which I wasn't able to answer..
  1. "Is Leebya an undeveloped country, is it a third-world country, or is it just a sh1thole?"

  2. "What civilised person gives a feck anyway ?"
Now I know the answer to the second question, but I am not sure of the answer to the first question. Perhaps someone who has no emotional ties to the area can provide an objective answer?
Reply With Quote
  #598  
Old 26.08.2011, 14:25
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,800
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,723 Times in 11,407 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps someone with a bit of edookashion can help me - I was having a conversation earlier this evening about this very thread with my OH, and was asked a couple of tricky questions, one of which I wasn't able to answer..
  1. "Is Leebya an undeveloped country, is it a third-world country, or is it just a sh1thole?"

  2. "What civilised person gives a feck anyway ?"
Now I know the answer to the second question, but I am not sure of the answer to the first question. Perhaps someone who has no emotional ties to the area can provide an objective answer?
According to the Economist "Shortly after armed rebels captured the state telecoms company during their entry into the capital, Tripoli, on August 21st they sent a note to millions of mobile-phone users saying "Long live free Libya".
Then they added the equivalent of $40 to all telephone accounts and restored the country's internet connection, which had been cut at the start of the rebellion."

Sounds fun, I hope this is a true story.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #599  
Old 26.08.2011, 15:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

British Bunker-Buster Bombers Blitz Baddy's Bunker

"British Tornadoes flying on a long-range strike mission from RAF Marham
fired precision-guided missiles against a large bunker in Libyan leader
Muammar Gaddafi's hometown of Sirte."


More here.
Reply With Quote
  #600  
Old 26.08.2011, 16:10
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
British Bunker-Buster Bombers Blitz Baddy's Bunker

"British Tornadoes flying on a long-range strike mission from RAF Marham
fired precision-guided missiles against a large bunker in Libyan leader
Muammar Gaddafi's hometown of Sirte."


More here.
I wonder if it is this ( below) they should have been available in Summer 2010?

Quote:
The Pentagon is speeding up delivery of a colossal bomb designed to destroy hidden weapons bunkers buried underground and shielded by 10,000 pounds of reinforced concrete.

Call it Plan B for dealing with Iran, which recently revealed a long-suspected nuclear site deep inside a mountain near the holy city of Qom.

The 15-ton behemoth - called the "massive ordnance penetrator," or MOP - will be the largest non-nuclear bomb in the U.S. arsenal and will carry 5,300 pounds of explosives. The bomb is about 10 times more powerful than the weapon it is designed to replace.

The Pentagon has awarded a nearly $52 million contract to speed up placement of the bomb aboard the B-2 Stealth bomber, and officials say the bomb could be fielded as soon as next summer.
[URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/13/world/main5380905.shtml"]

Perhaps they want to try it out- see if it works?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
17feb, benghazi, libya




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns] MrVertigo International affairs/politics 1580 26.12.2018 19:46
Hi from Tokyo! - "Art on Ice" visit in Feb Sakurako Introductions 1 16.01.2011 15:45
The first Rappi Bier Factory "All Day" Ploughmans lunch of 2009 grumpygrapefruit Commercial events 35 29.07.2009 15:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0