Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 26.02.2011, 00:09
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Now a slight change of topic has anyone been surprised how public Al Saif has been? He seemed to have a good PR campaign going making him a reformist and then this. He's supposed to be a clever guy but I don't understand the frequent public support he has given his dad. If I was him I'd be concentrating on ways to get my dad out of this mess alive and with immunity. Surely he realises his father is fighting a losing battle? The way things are going he's gonna end up in the Haag beside his dad, or even worse in front of a Libyan court.
Famille Kaddafi is well known for doing things at random...rambling through speeches, saying whatever crap they're saying...wearing Russian winter hats when it's 20 C outside -as kadafi did today...so it shouldn't surprise you
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 26.02.2011, 00:42
yjt yjt is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 586
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 601 Times in 261 Posts
yjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

You've got a point. I guess I was just hoping there was some substance behind his PR campaign. Apparently he likes the limelight and he was rumoured to have been livid when Switzerland banned him from seeing his pals at the WEF, well from next week he'll be stuck in Libya with the only possibility of foreign destinations being the Haag and his family has probably knocked Bin Laden of his place as the world's most hated person.
His father is going down. If I were him I'd have been in the backgrounds trying to get the family out of their safely and with whatever dignity they had left. Not pouring oil on the fire and possibly making himself guilty of war crimes.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 26.02.2011, 01:23
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Well if we believe Khaddafi this uprising was spurned on through a coalition of USA, Al Qaeda, Isreal, the media and drug addicts, at least he's blamed all of them at some point so We shouldn't believe everything he says. Could this formalities possibly be that he was talking BS as usual? They actively participated in the group up till last week. They postponed the next Arab league summit a week ago. Personally if I withdraw from a club, I don't go and organise their next meeting and offer to have it at my place.

http://www.yalibnan.com/2011/02/18/l...league-summit/
He simply never handed in the suspension formally, but spoke about it extensively. The men participating were those of the Libyan delegation to the league in Cairo. Nobody went and organised. They already were there, and they quite obviously did not take the words of their Revolution Leader really seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 26.02.2011, 08:16
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 449
Groaned at 222 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,002 Posts
Pashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisance
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
He simply never handed in the suspension formally, but spoke about it extensively. The men participating were those of the Libyan delegation to the league in Cairo. Nobody went and organised. They already were there, and they quite obviously did not take the words of their Revolution Leader really seriously.
If there are Libyian memebers in the the arab league orgnaizing arab league meetings and even heading the league - it means one thing: they are in the league- The world's largest club of dictators - not a single democracy beteen them.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 26.02.2011, 15:23
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,910
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,190 Times in 3,403 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
If there are Libyian memebers in the the arab league orgnaizing arab league meetings and even heading the league - it means one thing: they are in the league- The world's largest club of dictators - not a single democracy beteen them.
Pashosh ! I need your help here .Please can you tell me, in 1948, how many dictatorship and how many democracies voted for the Israeli Independence .UN-Useless Nutters
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 26.02.2011, 17:54
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
If there are Libyian memebers in the the arab league orgnaizing arab league meetings and even heading the league - it means one thing: they are in the league- The world's largest club of dictators - not a single democracy beteen them.
Lebanon IS a democracy ! Was this the REAL reason why the armed forces of your country attacked it ?

Morocco has a democratically elected parliament and the Prime Minister is a Socialist with clearly anti-Royalist leanings. Both parliament and Prime Minister have serious powers in Morocco. THIS is the reason why the protests in Morocco, which has similar problems like Tunisia and Egypt, have had its limits. Algeria has a democratically elected state president and a democratically elected parliament but heaps of problems. Sure, Mr Bouteflika is criticized to know the suburbs of Geneva, Zurich and Paris better than the suburbs of Algiers and Oran. But this would apply to quite many people fully or partially of Algerian descent !

AND the parliament now in Baghdad IS really democratically elected ! Mr Maliki now is the head of a really democratic coalition government. You in Jordan have a democratically elected parliament but Mr Gardiner should stop to appoint people out of his court as Prime Minister but appoint major leaders out of parliament to form a government

In Bahrain, the problem is right the other way round. You have a democratically elected parliament but a state leadership (King+PM) out of a dynasty which has nothing to do with the population of the country.

In Yemen, you have a president who came to power in his coup d'état against President Ahmed Hassan al-Gashmi quite a while ago, but who established a democratic parliament whose members out of the urban areas of Sana'a, Ta'iz, Mukkah, Hodaydah, Aden and Mukalla ARE the results of a democratic process but whose members out of the rural tribal areas simply are the representatives of their tribes.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 26.02.2011, 18:15
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Pashosh ! I need your help here .Please can you tell me, in 1948, how many dictatorship and how many democracies voted for the Israeli Independence .UN-Useless Nutters
Let me contribute an idea. Mr Dshugashvili voted in favour the the State of Israel
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 26.02.2011, 19:21
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,910
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,190 Times in 3,403 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Lebanon IS a democracy ! Was this the REAL reason why the armed forces of your country attacked it ?

Morocco has a democratically elected parliament and the Prime Minister is a Socialist with clearly anti-Royalist leanings. Both parliament and Prime Minister have serious powers in Morocco. THIS is the reason why the protests in Morocco, which has similar problems like Tunisia and Egypt, have had its limits. Algeria has a democratically elected state president and a democratically elected parliament but heaps of problems. Sure, Mr Bouteflika is criticized to know the suburbs of Geneva, Zurich and Paris better than the suburbs of Algiers and Oran. But this would apply to quite many people fully or partially of Algerian descent !

AND the parliament now in Baghdad IS really democratically elected ! Mr Maliki now is the head of a really democratic coalition government. You in Jordan have a democratically elected parliament but Mr Gardiner should stop to appoint people out of his court as Prime Minister but appoint major leaders out of parliament to form a government

In Bahrain, the problem is right the other way round. You have a democratically elected parliament but a state leadership (King+PM) out of a dynasty which has nothing to do with the population of the country.

In Yemen, you have a president who came to power in his coup d'état against President Ahmed Hassan al-Gashmi quite a while ago, but who established a democratic parliament whose members out of the urban areas of Sana'a, Ta'iz, Mukkah, Hodaydah, Aden and Mukalla ARE the results of a democratic process but whose members out of the rural tribal areas simply are the representatives of their tribes.
Did I have a bad dream or was "Hamas" also elected?
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 26.02.2011, 20:26
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Two RAF Hercules have flown about 150 civilians to safety after a rescue mission in the Libyan desert, the defence secretary says.

BBC
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 26.02.2011, 20:41
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
...Morocco has a democratically elected parliament and the Prime Minister is a Socialist with clearly anti-Royalist leanings. Both parliament and Prime Minister have serious powers in Morocco. THIS is the reason why the protests in Morocco, which has similar problems like Tunisia and Egypt, have had its limits...
You're joking ey?
I have Moroccan-amazigh roots and I am well aware of the current state of affairs of Moroccan politics.
The answer is NO. There is no democratically elected government in Morocco. The PM is appointed by the king who holds absolute powers with a tinny tiny window and a minority for the populace to elect.
Protests are only starting to materialize in the marginalized North-East of the country...
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 26.02.2011, 21:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Two RAF Hercules have flown about 150 civilians to safety after a rescue mission in the Libyan desert, the defence secretary says.

BBC
I thought of the helicopter rescue first! I can`t figure out why it has taken so long for the UK to come up with that idea and Do It. Perhaps I should move to the UK and go into politics. I don`t think I would be any worse at organising and decision making than what we have seen this week.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 27.02.2011, 05:40
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
Did I have a bad dream or was "Hamas" also elected?
Yes and No. People in Palestine wanted to teach the PA a lesson and voted for the opposition. Few of them wanted Hamas in power, but the combined protest gave a clear majority to Hamas. They however voted in favour of President Mahmoud Abbas. Interesting is that Hamas refuses any new elections, which are basics to real democracy globally, as they precisely know that they are to lose them To refuse new elections is THE trademark of dictators. People like Messrs Marcos, Duvalier and Salazar were voted into office democratically but then simply refused to have new elections. Hamas therefore now is a totalitarian dictatorship.

and what group of the people are to elect ? And of what party is the Prime Minister ?
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 27.02.2011, 05:42
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
You're joking ey?
I have Moroccan-amazigh roots and I am well aware of the current state of affairs of Moroccan politics.
The answer is NO. There is no democratically elected government in Morocco. The PM is appointed by the king who holds absolute powers with a tinny tiny window and a minority for the populace to elect.
Protests are only starting to materialize in the marginalized North-East of the country...
You mean in the Berber area of the North-East ? Does that include the touristic zones up there also ?
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 27.02.2011, 14:16
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,606
Groaned at 571 Times in 484 Posts
Thanked 20,877 Times in 10,964 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
As forecast pathetic response from UN human rights council
"UN HRC has passed by consensus a resolution against Libya that focuses attention on the terrible human rights abuses happening on the ground. The resolution calls for an independent international commission of inquiry and has recommended that the United Nations General Assembly consider suspending Libya from its seat in the HRC in view of the gross and systematic violations of human rights by the Libyan authorities."
The UN security council has come out with a very strong statement (here is part of it from the FT)
"The United Nations Security Council has unanimously adopted a resolution that could put Muammar Gaddafi and his family in the dock of an international court for crimes against the Libyan people.
In a 15-0 vote, the council ordered all UN member states to freeze the assets of the Libyan leader, his daughter and four of his sons. They and another 10 key members of the regime were banned from travelling outside the country........"

Just illustrates what a weak & pathetic bunch are the UN human rights council; they are the ones who should be leading with strong statements.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #155  
Old 27.02.2011, 14:31
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,910
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,190 Times in 3,403 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
The UN security council has come out with a very strong statement (here is part of it from the FT)
"The United Nations Security Council has unanimously adopted a resolution that could put Muammar Gaddafi and his family in the dock of an international court for crimes against the Libyan people.
In a 15-0 vote, the council ordered all UN member states to freeze the assets of the Libyan leader, his daughter and four of his sons. They and another 10 key members of the regime were banned from travelling outside the country........"

Just illustrates what a weak & pathetic bunch are the UN human rights council; they are the ones who should be leading with strong statements.
This would make Qaddafi shaking in his SandalsYhere are some rumours that Quddafi was so upset ,he forgote to drink his Buttermilk last night
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 27.02.2011, 16:10
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 764
Groaned at 69 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 614 Times in 345 Posts
flavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputation
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Swiss company Luwa from Frauenfeld maintaining Gaddafi's bunkers:

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank flavio for this useful post:
  #157  
Old 27.02.2011, 17:14
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
You mean in the Berber area of the North-East ? Does that include the touristic zones up there also ?
There is no tourism in the North-East. The south is also beginning to gather momentum to start rioting soon. The Moroccan constitution is scandalous; it holds the king sacred and divine.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 27.02.2011, 17:52
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
The UN security council has come out with a very strong statement (here is part of it from the FT)
"The United Nations Security Council has unanimously adopted a resolution that could put Muammar Gaddafi and his family in the dock of an international court for crimes against the Libyan people.
In a 15-0 vote, the council ordered all UN member states to freeze the assets of the Libyan leader, his daughter and four of his sons. They and another 10 key members of the regime were banned from travelling outside the country........"

Just illustrates what a weak & pathetic bunch are the UN human rights council; they are the ones who should be leading with strong statements.

The UN should have their assets frozen and banned from traveling...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lejoker for this useful post:
  #159  
Old 27.02.2011, 18:15
yjt yjt is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 586
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 601 Times in 261 Posts
yjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
He simply never handed in the suspension formally, but spoke about it extensively. The men participating were those of the Libyan delegation to the league in Cairo. Nobody went and organised. They already were there, and they quite obviously did not take the words of their Revolution Leader really seriously.

You mean he never handed in the suspension. His words have about as much meaning as this guy



The diplomats kept working not because they didn't take their leader seriously but they simply didn't receive the order to cease activities until the arab league forced them to which means what the Secretary-General said is true. But believe what you want
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank yjt for this useful post:
  #160  
Old 27.02.2011, 19:28
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Libya - 17 Feb "Day of wrath"

Quote:
View Post
There is no tourism in the North-East. The south is also beginning to gather momentum to start rioting soon. The Moroccan constitution is scandalous; it holds the king sacred and divine.
The North-East no tourism ? I regard places like al-Hoceima (and even Fez) as the Moroccan North-East. And Swiss travel-agencies DO regard al-Hoceima as "tourism".

That the King still holds unlimited supreme power in your country is obvious. Less obvious to outsiders is what powers parliament and prime-minister actually have. You might shed some light onto this aspect.

Yes, the toppling of the monarchy in Morocco would be truly historic
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
17feb, benghazi, libya




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns] MrVertigo International affairs/politics 1580 26.12.2018 20:46
Hi from Tokyo! - "Art on Ice" visit in Feb Sakurako Introductions 1 16.01.2011 16:45
The first Rappi Bier Factory "All Day" Ploughmans lunch of 2009 grumpygrapefruit Commercial events 35 29.07.2009 16:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0