Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.03.2011, 09:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Monaco
Posts: 514
Groaned at 61 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 658 Times in 281 Posts
scrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

you guys know i'm a big supporter of all things american, but subway is really crap
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank scrambled for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 09.03.2011, 10:22
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
Quote:
View Post
with so many sandwiches to be had on Migros, Coop, Pain Paillase boulangeries, coffe shops at train stations etc etc etc I don't see who needs Subway here.
Well, let's be clear: I said Subway was the worst of the US chains that made it to Europe. I think it's obvious that the stale bread and sweet sweet curry sandwiches pumped out by Cogros (the Firm) are far worse. And while the bakeries do nice sandwiches (on great bread) they're always the same, Swiss style. You can't get any great Italian Mezzaluna or foccacia, nothing American style, no cheddar and branston.... I'll be honest with you SL, I can't think of a country that needs Subway more
No, no, no Economisto. Clearly being a mod has made your brain go mushy... there's plenty of options in CH for a good sandwich:

Ham with white roll
Ham with brown roll
Ham in gipfel
Ham with wholegrain roll
Ham with zopf bread
Cheese on "British toast" bread
Cheese with white roll
Cheese with brown roll
Cheese in gipfel
Cheese with wholegrain roll
Cheese with zopf bread

And for those special occasions:
Cheese and ham with white roll
Cheese and ham with brown roll
Cheese and ham in gipfel
Cheese and ham with wholegrain roll
Cheese and ham with zopf bread
Cheese and ham on "British toast" bread

All available with or "sans" gurkin, egg or slice of tomato.

The choice is endless. Subway, pah, what would they know...
__________________
Never let right or wrong get in the way of a good opinion
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 09.03.2011, 10:33
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,953
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,026 Times in 8,002 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
No, no, no Economisto. Clearly being a mod has made your brain go mushy... there's plenty of options in CH for a good sandwich:

Ham with white roll
Ham with brown roll
Ham in gipfel
Ham with wholegrain roll
Ham with zopf bread
Cheese on "British toast" bread
Cheese with white roll
Cheese with brown roll
Cheese in gipfel
Cheese with wholegrain roll
Cheese with zopf bread

And for those special occasions:
Cheese and ham with white roll
Cheese and ham with brown roll
Cheese and ham in gipfel
Cheese and ham with wholegrain roll
Cheese and ham with zopf bread
Cheese and ham on "British toast" bread

All available with or "sans" gurkin, egg or slice of tomato.

The choice is endless. Subway, pah, what would they know...
ham, cheese and gherkin in a butterzopf. what more do you want?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09.03.2011, 10:34
Salsa_Lover
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
Well, let's be clear: I said Subway was the worst of the US chains that made it to Europe. I think it's obvious that the stale bread and sweet sweet curry sandwiches pumped out by Cogros (the Firm) are far worse. And while the bakeries do nice sandwiches (on great bread) they're always the same, Swiss style. You can't get any great Italian Mezzaluna or foccacia, nothing American style, no cheddar and branston.... I'll be honest with you SL, I can't think of a country that needs Subway more
Sure about that ?

Coop has Jamon Serrano and Manchego spanish sandwiches, Cuban, Italian caprese, Club , Roast Beef, Tuna, Many kind of chicken turkey and pork, falafel etc etc etc.

American and Chedar probably not, but there is nothing to miss there....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09.03.2011, 10:48
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
Coop has Jamon Serrano and Manchego spanish sandwiches, Cuban, Italian caprese, Club , Roast Beef, Tuna, Many kind of chicken turkey and pork, falafel etc etc etc.
I bought a "Roast Chicken" sandwich from Coop the other day 'cos I thought it sounded just what I fancied.

Apart from the cheese (!) there was nothing solid in the sandwich, so I thought I'd check the ingredients - "Pouletfleischerzeugnis", which as far as I can tell means "Chicken Product" . Not exactly slices of lovely roast chicken.

I'm pretty sure one wouldn't be allowed to sell that sandwich as Roast Chicken in UK. Cheese and chickeny mush, might be more like it (if indeed there was any chicken in the mush).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 09.03.2011, 10:57
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,065
Groaned at 651 Times in 504 Posts
Thanked 25,873 Times in 10,429 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
I bought a "Roast Chicken" sandwich from Coop the other day 'cos I thought it sounded just what I fancied.

Apart from the cheese (!) there was nothing solid in the sandwich, so I thought I'd check the ingredients - "Pouletfleischerzeugnis", which as far as I can tell means "Chicken Product" . Not exactly slices of lovely roast chicken.

I'm pretty sure one wouldn't be allowed to sell that sandwich as Roast Chicken in UK. Cheese and chickeny mush, might be more like it (if indeed there was any chicken in the mush).
You can rest assured that a mass-produced Roast chicken sandwich in the U.K. will not contain slices of roasted chicken meat but a concoction made of pre-formed chicken pieces (made from ALL the parts of the chicken) with flavourings and other additives added to hold it all together.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:04
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
You can rest assured that a mass-produced Roast chicken sandwich in the U.K. will not contain slices of roasted chicken meat but a concoction made of pre-formed chicken pieces (made from ALL the parts of the chicken) with flavourings and other additives added to hold it all together.
A pre -formed chicken? The crafty buggers, I wondered how Maccers got the bird to fit the bun.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:05
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,065
Groaned at 651 Times in 504 Posts
Thanked 25,873 Times in 10,429 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

When I used to visit the U.S. for work, there was one place I went to frequently. Just up the road, there was a small bakery that made its own bread and from that bread, its own sandwiches - to order. The smell of the bread baking was enough to entice you in.
Just along the road the other way was a Subway franchise. It was a little further to walk.

It amazed me that some of my co-workers preferred the Subway sandwiches with their rubber bread and foul-tasting, artificial contents to the ones made with fresh bread and nice fillings.

I still don't understand the love of chains and franchises on this forum.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:17
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Subway is alright - can get them to make the sandwich as you like it, at least back in the US you could, haven't been to one here yet (there is one in Stücki here in Basel).

However... just thinking of subs makes me miss one of the grocery chains in the southern US - Publix. They had their own bakery so you had a choice of breads (even wraps), they used the same meats and cheeses they sold in the deli and you could choose from either generic / store brand or the higher "quality" ones ... and there were plenty of options for sauces and veg as well. Lekker!

Picture of actual Publix sub (found here):

__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:20
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

just out of interest, how much do you pay for a Subway sandwich?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:24
pigeonsbay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 106 Times in 53 Posts
pigeonsbay is considered knowledgeablepigeonsbay is considered knowledgeablepigeonsbay is considered knowledgeable
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

I miss the good old plain Sarnie shops back in the UK.
Tuna/Mayo & Cucumber in a Roll or Baguette with a sprinkle of Pepper and Salt.

Simple is still best!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:24
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
When I used to visit the U.S. for work, there was one place I went to frequently. Just up the road, there was a small bakery that made its own bread and from that bread, its own sandwiches - to order. The smell of the bread baking was enough to entice you in.
Just along the road the other way was a Subway franchise. It was a little further to walk.

It amazed me that some of my co-workers preferred the Subway sandwiches with their rubber bread and foul-tasting, artificial contents to the ones made with fresh bread and nice fillings.

I still don't understand the love of chains and franchises on this forum.
Tom1234...hold your breath..... I agree with you. Fast food franchises are crap.

However: (1) They're better here - the ingredients are of higher quality for certain and (2) the food here is almost uniform in taste and almost exclusively disappointing.

Here's an Italian style Hero from NYC. When I can get the same here, I'll never eat McDs again.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:31
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
Tom1234...hold your breath..... I agree with you. Fast food franchises are crap.

However: (1) They're better here - the ingredients are of higher quality for certain and (2) the food here is almost uniform in taste and almost exclusively disappointing.

Here's an Italian style Hero from NYC. When I can get the same here, I'll never eat McDs again.

I think I just came
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:33
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,422
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

There was a Subway in Richmond but I never tried it as it looked so unattractive and unappealing. A really good chain, however, is Paul (don't know if they have reached Switzerland). They have lovely fresh bread - normally baguettes, with very fresh, imaginative and tasty fillings. Also do amazing cakes.

Being on a sandwich roll , I don't know about anyone else but I stopped going to Pret, as I got bored of their sandwiches very quickly. Also, they only ever used malted brown bread, which I'm not keen on, and what is more smoked salmon should only every be served on wholemeal brown!!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:35
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greggs

Greggs Tuna Crunch...*Homer style drooling*
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:48
sygirl101's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 500
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 376 Times in 162 Posts
sygirl101 has a reputation beyond reputesygirl101 has a reputation beyond reputesygirl101 has a reputation beyond reputesygirl101 has a reputation beyond reputesygirl101 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

While I'm not a huge Subway fan, I think it has its place in the American food system. Let's say you are a college student or a mininum wage earner, and you have to make the choice: McDonald's or Subway. There isn't any other option in your price range. Then what do you do? If you want to at least a vegetable that isn't the one lonely pickle, you choose Subway.

It's really a choice of the lesser of two evils.

But here in Switzerland, does it have a place? I think so, but maybe a slightly different one. Down in the Selnau area you can have lunch at a nice Vietnamese place (CHF20+ per meal), Hiltl (CHF25+ per meal), and some cafes and bars for about the same price. So, if you are hungry, in that specific location, and unwilling to pay CHF20+ for a meal, it's not a bad idea. I passed there the Saturday before last around noon, and there was a massive line of younger, probably single guys (people most likely unable to have the facilities or the abilities to cook).

I'm glad I can cook and make delicious meals on a budget. But not everyone can. I think Subway placed that franchise well in an area that doesn't have a lot of budget options. Ideally, the quality would be higher, but this isn't an ideal world.
__________________
Floccinaucinihilipilification: act of describing something as useless.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank sygirl101 for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 09.03.2011, 11:58
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,065
Groaned at 651 Times in 504 Posts
Thanked 25,873 Times in 10,429 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
While I'm not a huge Subway fan, I think it has its place in the American food system. Let's say you are a college student or a mininum wage earner, and you have to make the choice: McDonald's or Subway. There isn't any other option in your price range. Then what do you do? If you want to at least a vegetable that isn't the one lonely pickle, you choose Subway.

It's really a choice of the lesser of two evils.
Or you could make your sandwiches yourself, cheaply and better and take them with you
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 09.03.2011, 12:02
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
Or you could make your sandwiches yourself, cheaply and better and take them with you

and save abt chf 5.00 which you can put towards your new supercar simples
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09.03.2011, 12:03
sygirl101's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 500
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 376 Times in 162 Posts
sygirl101 has a reputation beyond reputesygirl101 has a reputation beyond reputesygirl101 has a reputation beyond reputesygirl101 has a reputation beyond reputesygirl101 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
Or you could make your sandwiches yourself, cheaply and better and take them with you
I agree that would be ideal, and that's what I've done for years.

But sometimes you are in a rush, maybe you are coming back from a job interview, or your train was late. Sometimes, you just have to buy lunch or dinner.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09.03.2011, 12:13
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Subway overtakes McDonalds as Worlds #1

Quote:
View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greggs

Greggs Tuna Crunch...*Homer style drooling*
Bro, I'm gonna be depressed all day now that you mention Greggs! Got one very close to me back home (as well as KFC, Subway, McDs and all the other bada$$ fast food outlets). Can't wait to get my gnashers into one of their chicken mix sarnies and delicious doughnuts. MEGA YUM!!!

Note to self: Gotta stop swinging by this particular thread. Brings back too many wonderful fast food chain memories.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McDonalds Breakfast - where? summerrain Entertainment & dining 69 29.09.2014 17:24
Subway Sandwiches (the new Subway at Selnau in here!!!) BaselBoy Entertainment & dining 320 02.03.2011 10:51
mcdonalds party, good idea ? buchs Other/general 42 08.03.2010 23:02
anti-complaint: McDonalds Niederdorf economisto Complaints corner 81 02.02.2010 03:14
McDonalds Davos Closed Guest Entertainment & dining 5 30.07.2007 11:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0