Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 24.03.2011, 12:27
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
unfortunately no uk government ever looks beyond the next election, banking was a quick fix cash cow, everything else would have taken some effort and pain.
Hence that model has been proved to be (expensively) flawed ... so a bank/ betting lead economy can only last for a short period

For companies to become more valuable - they have to make / do stuff. Unfortunately, the UK is suffering the hangover from Thatcher putting all eggs in one basket with the financial sector.
Britain has to get back to making stuff rather than just juggling money - and this sector of industry needs to be valued rather that seen at the dirty , sweaty unattractive ill educated cousin
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Hedgehog of death for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 24.03.2011, 12:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
Hence that model has been proved to be (expensively) flawed ... so a bank/ betting lead economy can only last for a short period

For companies to become more valuable - they have to make / do stuff. Unfortunately, the UK is suffering the hangover from Thatcher putting all eggs in one basket with the financial sector.
Britain has to get back to making stuff rather than just juggling money - and this sector of industry needs to be valued rather that seen at the dirty , sweaty unattractive ill educated cousin
This is going to be a very painful excercise and requires huge investment in a non-existant sector. We're now playing catchup to a far east giant in China.

I suggest aerospace and arms, we're awesome at both. Kids should be taught more science/engineering in school and less fluffy subjects.

Thatcher started it, Tony accelerated it and the current lot are putting their heads in the sand when it comes to the financial/consultancy sectors, don't get me started on privitisations (I can't think of one that has worked in the benefit of the UK consumer).

People were sold a vision in the 80's of credit and free spending, they need to wake up and realise nothings free and no you're not going to be a millionaire.

So stop voting for these multi-millionaires in parliment with their own interests on the papers put before the houses of parliment.

We need a german model of investment, stability/rights for workers, readdress the exec board/union model similar to DE/NL, so many things that need righting.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 24.03.2011, 12:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
Kids should be taught more science/engineering in school and less fluffy subjects.
By whom?

What engineer or scientist in her right mind is going to give up a lucrative or interesting career to teach a bunch of feral teenagers in some dreadful inner-city school?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 24.03.2011, 12:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

If I think back at how in the late 70's/early 80's we could have used all that natural resource for the better good of UK industry and the people I feel very sad.

How can we go from a situation with so much promise and potential to this mess we have today? Where nothings left and a few individuals pocketed all the money?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 24.03.2011, 13:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

We should sell Northern Ireland to Ireland, clear all the peasants out of Scotland and use it for hunting, shooting and fishing, and flatten Wales, making it suitable for use as a car park for an enormous all-purpose call-centre based in Bristol.

We could harvest the Welsh for food. They'd make a cheap substitute for pork in sausages and the like.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 24.03.2011, 13:03
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
We should sell Northern Ireland to Ireland, clear all the peasants out of Scotland and use it for hunting, shooting and fishing, and flatten Wales, making it suitable for use as a car park for an enormous all-purpose call-centre based in Bristol.

We could harvest the Welsh for food. They'd make a cheap substitute for pork in sausages and the like.

What do you think?

the welsh are too fatty, the meat would be horrid
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 24.03.2011, 13:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
the welsh are too fatty, the meat would be horrid
We'd have to put them on a special low-fat diet of leeks and coal.

They'd probably enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 24.03.2011, 13:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
By whom?

What engineer or scientist in her right mind is going to give up a lucrative or interesting career to teach a bunch of feral teenagers in some dreadful inner-city school?
Easy remove health and safety morons from science classrooms, teach them how to blow stuff up. Anyone remember the gas in the coffee can? I used to love that one and probably what hooked me on science.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 24.03.2011, 13:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
Easy remove health and safety morons from science classrooms, teach them how to blow stuff up.
You want the barbaric youth of Alum Rock to learn how to blow things up?

Are you sure that's wise, sir?

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 24.03.2011, 13:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post

US, Uk and Europe will be come far tougher on the banking industries cavalier approach to boom and bust. Nobody can allow it to happen again - the banks days on a pedestal have gone.

And if everyone in banking want to move to Singapore or Shanghai, then let them ...
Haha lets see the Chinese, or Singapore governments bail the banks out the next time they screw it up, I think not.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 24.03.2011, 14:05
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

It shouldn't all come down to the banks. Like somebody else already said, we have to make things and then sell them (wherever we are). The fact that this doesn't happen in the UK is not the fault of the bankers, but generations of politicians who never had a real job in a real industry.

If you fix UK industry then the other things take care of themselves.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 24.03.2011, 14:48
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
Hence that model has been proved to be (expensively) flawed ... so a bank/ betting lead economy can only last for a short period

For companies to become more valuable - they have to make / do stuff. Unfortunately, the UK is suffering the hangover from Thatcher putting all eggs in one basket with the financial sector.
Britain has to get back to making stuff rather than just juggling money - and this sector of industry needs to be valued rather that seen at the dirty , sweaty unattractive ill educated cousin
You're dead right.

Why doesn't Britain invest it's workforce in having the biggest Green industry. We could use our engineering experience in EV's, solar/renewable energy, etc etc
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 24.03.2011, 15:30
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
You're dead right.

Why doesn't Britain invest it's workforce in having the biggest Green industry. We could use our engineering experience in EV's, solar/renewable energy, etc etc

Actually, that is the sector my brother does work in ...

In sunny Lougborough !!

Quote:
View Post
It shouldn't all come down to the banks. Like somebody else already said, we have to make things and then sell them (wherever we are). The fact that this doesn't happen in the UK is not the fault of the bankers, but generations of politicians who never had a real job in a real industry.

If you fix UK industry then the other things take care of themselves.
Up to a point , maybe

But when the countries wealth model lies with Banks, their power becomes to great. MT started it, Blair et all allowed the deregulation. Unfortunately, despite Brown being a terrible intellectual snob, the banks ran rings around it him. He deregulated the industry, and then we know what happened ...

Two Caveats

If industry goes tits up, the government allows it to fail, it is regarded as not agile enough, to slow, too top heavy to succeed. So it is allowed to go under - taking the jobs with it.
When banks fail - what happened. We bankrupted the country to support them !! They were too powerful to be allowed to flounder.
That didn't happen to Rover, the ship building industry, the coal industry, light engineering/ heavy enginnering

For a new production business to succeed, generally they need investment. Where does that come from ... bank loans. And banks won't lend money, or support risk without major surety ....

It may not be the fault of bankers - but they are are the cause of the financial crisis

Last edited by Hedgehog of death; 24.03.2011 at 17:07.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 24.03.2011, 15:34
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
Actually, that is the sector my brother does work in ...

In sunny Lougborough !!
Haha, well there is certainly going to be chances for the UK to put up solar panels in the deserts of Iraq, Afghanistan & soon, Libya!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 24.03.2011, 16:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post

But when the countries wealth model lies with Banks, their power becomes to great. MT started it, Blair et all allowed the deregulation. Unfortunately, despite Brown being a terrible intellectual snob, the banks ran rings around it him. He deregulated the industry, and then we know what happened ...
We've been here before there is a plan, yet politicians still do not learn from history.

“Give me control of a nation’s money and I care not who makes the laws.” - Mayer Rothschild

“I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire, …The man that controls Britain’s money supply controls the British Empire. And I control the money supply.” - Mayer Rothschild

The few who understand the system, will either be so interested from it's profits or so dependant on it's favors, that there will be no opposition from that class." — Rothschild Brothers of London, 1863

Most Americans have no real understanding of the operation of the international money lenders. The accounts of the Federal Reserve System have never been audited. It operates outside the control of Congress and manipulates the credit of the United States" — Sen. Barry Goldwater (Rep. AR)

"These 12 corporations together cover the whole country and monopolize and use for private gain every dollar of the public currency..." — Mr. Crozier of Cincinnati, before Senate Banking and Currency Committee - 1913

"We are completely dependant on the commercial banks. Someone has to borrow every dollar we have in circulation, cash or credit. If the banks create ample synthetic money we are prosperous; if not, we starve. We are absolutely without a permanent money system.... It is the most important subject intelligent persons can investigate and reflect upon. It is so important that our present civilization may collapse unless it becomes widely understood and the defects remedied very soon." — Robert H. Hamphill, Atlanta Federal Reserve Bank
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 24.03.2011, 17:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

If you want to learn how banking works search you tube for the "money as debt series" it explains exactly how banking works and how it cannot work without going into bust cycles.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y+as+debt&aq=f
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 24.03.2011, 17:06
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,293
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,304 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
I'm not too sure the UK will suffer from the mass grief shown to Lady Di when the bankers move
and there in an unintended nutshell is a succinct description of what is wrong with the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 24.03.2011, 17:20
kfp kfp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 64
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
kfp has earned some respectkfp has earned some respect
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

What engineer or scientist in her right mind is going to give up a lucrative or interesting career to teach a bunch of feral teenagers in some dreadful inner-city school?[/QUOTE]

The schools are bad but so are the universities. The current brain drain is on a par with the 70's. In the last two years, 40% of professors stated they are actively looking to get out of the country, those who can have already gone. Students who are able to go abroad. The UK has very little left. Bringing back manufacturing is a pipe dream, labor costs are too high.

The UK is second in the world for the most native born citizens permanently leaving, the only one higher is Mexico. And these are highly qualified people generally. And now the government is cutting down on the only immigration they can; the highly skilled migrant program.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kfp for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 24.03.2011, 17:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
The schools are bad but so are the universities. The current brain drain is on a par with the 70's. In the last two years, 40% of professors stated they are actively looking to get out of the country, those who can have already gone. Students who are able to go abroad. The UK has very little left. Bringing back manufacturing is a pipe dream, labor costs are too high.

The UK is second in the world for the most native born citizens permanently leaving, the only one higher is Mexico. And these are highly qualified people generally. And now the government is cutting down on the only immigration they can; the highly skilled migrant program.
It needs huge investment in education, tax breaks for professors etc to kick start the system again.

I agree the only manafacturing left which cannot be cloned in China is high end aerospace/space and weapons technologies.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 24.03.2011, 21:50
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Budget 2011 & the mass exodus...

Quote:
View Post
It needs huge investment in education, tax breaks for professors etc to kick start the system again.

I agree the only manafacturing left which cannot be cloned in China is high end aerospace/space and weapons technologies.
No problem, there's still some stuff that can be privatised like Royal Mail, Land etc
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
banks, budget




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cyclotour 2011: Mass bike ride around Lake Geneva, May 29 GenevaSculler Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 27 24.04.2012 22:50
Software-Where to buy&download Office for Mac,home&student,english edition-2011? EKM Daily life 25 26.01.2011 13:11
Oxfordshire County Library Closures 2011 Budget Cuts tiny_tim International affairs/politics 2 15.01.2011 20:19
Exodus or no? Laurence_PLover Daily life 0 20.08.2009 16:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0