Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #321  
Old 14.05.2013, 08:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,069
Groaned at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,526 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Great Britain will supplement the rebel force with body armour,generators and other logistical equipment. All present government actions are a violation to International law and yet again the UN are found wanting.

Last edited by SOBEIT; 14.05.2013 at 08:49.
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 14.05.2013, 08:46
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,408
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

I am seriously doubting this will ever end. Giving a chance to the rebels to get to the power while obvious war crime from their side (head BBQ, heart eating, etc) will bring this country even deeper than with Al Assad regime.

There are so many barbarian acts made from both side that I believe a country can't stand up from it with dignity. I certainly don't believe this country will ever see a sign of democracy.

At this point, Al Assad is the less appealing option.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 14.05.2013, 09:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,981
Groaned at 68 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 1,795 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Americans have spent trillions of dollars and over 20 years dying (and killing others) in the middle east with absolutely nothing to show for it, I pray each morning that Obama is smart enough to continue to steer clear of the disaster that is Syria.
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 14.05.2013, 12:43
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,108
Groaned at 104 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 14,646 Times in 4,717 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

1:0 to Bashar Al Assad

Outrage at Syrian rebel shown 'eating soldier's heart'



The rebel filmed is said to be an insurgent from Homs

video which appears to show a Syrian rebel taking a bite from the heart of a dead soldier has brought strong condemnation.

US-based Human Rights Watch identified the rebel as Abu Sakkar, a well-known insurgent from the city of Homs, and said his actions were a war crime.

The main Syrian opposition coalition said he would be put on trial.

The video, which cannot be independently authenticated, seems to show him cutting out the heart.

"I swear to God we will eat your hearts and your livers, you soldiers of Bashar the dog," the man says referring to President Bashar al-Assad as he stands over the soldier's corpse.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) says Abu Sakkar is the leader of a group called the Independent Omar al-Farouq Brigade.

"The mutilation of the bodies of enemies is a war crime. But the even more serious issue is the very rapid descent into sectarian rhetoric and violence," HRW's Peter Bouckaert told Reuters news agency.

HRW said those committing war crimes on either side had to know that there was no impunity and that they would be brought to account.

The human rights group said Abu Sakkar had been filmed before, firing rockets into Shia areas of Lebanon and posing with the bodies of guerrillas from the Lebanese Hezbollah movement killed fighting alongside Syrian government forces.

The video, posted on Sunday, is one of the most gruesome to emerge among the many thrown up by more than two years of carnage in Syria, says the BBC's Jim Muir in Beirut.

More
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 14.05.2013, 14:05
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Americans have spent trillions of dollars and over 20 years dying (and killing others) in the middle east with absolutely nothing to show for it, I pray each morning that Obama is smart enough to continue to steer clear of the disaster that is Syria.
I don't think it is America's responsibility to step in either. People never really admit what good it does, only what faults it makes, and suspicions of some ulterior motives. I would not support having US troops there. But such humanitarian cost. The absence of international leadership is conspicuous. What good is the UN for? Where is Ban Ki Moon? What about the Muslim Brotherhood and Pan-Arab unity? Must the ball really be lobbed to Al Qaeda to fill the leadership gap?
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 27.05.2013, 23:10
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,918
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Visiting Aleppo after the rebels were beaten back,



.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 28.05.2013, 19:28
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 420
Groaned at 169 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 1,538 Times in 832 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Press Tv is an Iranian propaganda station.
It's worth noting that the Christians are with Assad - a rebel victory will be disastrous for them.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Pashosh for this useful post:
  #328  
Old 28.05.2013, 20:20
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,918
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

I find it strange that the EU is about to support the rebels, who after watching the video, seem to be worse than Bashar al-Assad ruling Baath party.

The origins and future looks to be complicated, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17258397



Last edited by Sbrinz; 28.05.2013 at 20:33. Reason: added the link to BBC special collection
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 28.05.2013, 21:20
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

They are proposing to arm rebels, a significant portion of which is Al Qaeda. Can you imagine Al Qaeda with a state of its own?

I suppose one can describe the situation as being stuck between Iraq and a hard place.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #330  
Old 28.05.2013, 21:59
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 173
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 392 Times in 245 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
They are proposing to arm rebels, a significant portion of which is Al Qaeda. Can you imagine Al Qaeda with a state of its own?

I suppose one can describe the situation as being stuck between Iraq and a hard place.
The EU decision to end its embargo and arm the rebels was followed by promise from Russia to deliver anti-aircraft missiles to Assad's military.

Israel now says they will attack the Russian ships if the missiles are being delivered http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...00a_story.html

Why would Israel want to stop Syria from having anti-aircraft missiles unless they plan to fly over it?
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 28.05.2013, 22:10
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,603 Times in 6,336 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
The EU decision to end its embargo and arm the rebels was followed by promise from Russia to deliver anti-aircraft missiles to Assad's military.

Israel now says they will attack the Russian ships if the missiles are being delivered http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...00a_story.html

Why would Israel want to stop Syria from having anti-aircraft missiles unless they plan to fly over it?
About "Why would Israel want to stop Syria from having anti-aircraft missiles unless they plan to fly over it?"

Because this S300 missile has a range of 75Km so Syria based missiles could easily shoot down Israeli air liners flying over Israel.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #332  
Old 28.05.2013, 22:14
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 420
Groaned at 169 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 1,538 Times in 832 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

A rebel victory may lead to Syria breaking up like Yogoslavia. some/most of the new statelets may be western oriented (various Christian sects, Druze, Kurdish - the list is long).
Assad is supported by Iran & it's proxy Hizballah. Without Assad Iran will be without regional allies.
Arming the rebels is maybe not such a bad idea.
The russians are following the same logic by re-arming their ally.

Israel may not need to attack the S300 rockets if it finds a bypass or a friendly officer with the system codes.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 29.05.2013, 02:42
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Press Tv is an Iranian propaganda station.
It's worth noting that the Christians are with Assad - a rebel victory will be disastrous for them.
Sure, not just the Allawites but the Christian minorities and the Ismaelites of course side with Dr Assad.

**************************************************


Quote:
View Post
A rebel victory may lead to Syria breaking up like Yogoslavia. some/most of the new statelets may be western oriented (various Christian sects, Druze, Kurdish - the list is long).
Assad is supported by Iran & it's proxy Hizballah. Without Assad Iran will be without regional allies.
Arming the rebels is maybe not such a bad idea.
The russians are following the same logic by re-arming their ally.

Israel may not need to attack the S300 rockets if it finds a bypass or a friendly officer with the system codes.
While I can see that the Kurdish Deir-ez-Zor region already is breaking away, I find it more difficult to make out a territorial Kurdish region.

As the Allawite region comprises Latakia, the Iranians when supporting an Allawite state there would be close to a historic aim of all Iranians/Persions over the past 4000 years and that is to have a foothold on the Mediterranean shores
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 30.05.2013, 15:09
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 173
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 392 Times in 245 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Russian news report that Assad claims to have received the first delivery of S300 missiles from Russia. Lets see if this is confirmed and what the Israeli reaction will be...
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 30.05.2013, 17:07
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,603 Times in 6,336 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Russian news report that Assad claims to have received the first delivery of S300 missiles from Russia. Lets see if this is confirmed and what the Israeli reaction will be...
Sliding towards a global conflict; initially to be fought by proxy in the Middle East - I hope not.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 31.05.2013, 01:38
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Russian news report that Assad claims to have received the first delivery of S300 missiles from Russia. Lets see if this is confirmed and what the Israeli reaction will be...
The Russian shipment may just be a token symbol.

Former Israeli defense minister Moshe Arens:
"I would be very surprised (you are talking about the S-300 anti-aircraft missile) – if the Russians actually transfer these missiles to Syria as I think that they know that it will turn out that our Air Force can deal with them. This wouldn’t be good publicity for a product that is their export product. They are selling this product to many countries and it won’t help their export,"


There is a lot of fog in this situation. The rebel groups are not united and are in disarray. I think Assad may try to draw Israel in, then call a time-out truce with the rebels. Israel should just stay put with lots of restraint, foregoing short term tactical advantages in favor of long term interests. The worse thing Israel can do is to jump in and unite the groups with one another.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #337  
Old 01.06.2013, 05:54
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
The Russian shipment may just be a token symbol.

Former Israeli defense minister Moshe Arens:
"I would be very surprised (you are talking about the S-300 anti-aircraft missile) – if the Russians actually transfer these missiles to Syria as I think that they know that it will turn out that our Air Force can deal with them. This wouldn’t be good publicity for a product that is their export product. They are selling this product to many countries and it won’t help their export,"


There is a lot of fog in this situation. The rebel groups are not united and are in disarray. I think Assad may try to draw Israel in, then call a time-out truce with the rebels. Israel should just stay put with lots of restraint, foregoing short term tactical advantages in favor of long term interests. The worse thing Israel can do is to jump in and unite the groups with one another.
Among the rebel groups you have rightwingers and leftwingers, secularists and fundamentalists. If Dr Assad succeeds in taking some of those groups back onto his sides he will have won.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 09.06.2013, 18:58
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,603 Times in 6,336 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Among the rebel groups you have rightwingers and leftwingers, secularists and fundamentalists. If Dr Assad succeeds in taking some of those groups back onto his sides he will have won.

Seems to be turning in the direction of a Shia/Sunni fight both within & beyond the borders of Syria.
Quote from the FT related to the Hizbollah intervention;
"Sheikh Yusuf Qaradawi, one of the most prominent (Sunni) preachers, called on Sunni in the region to join the battle against Mr Assad. " How could 100m Shia (worldwide) defeat 1.7bn (Sunni)?" he asked in a sermon?"

I think Assad publically involving Hizbollah was a good short term tactic but may turn out to be a losing strategy.
I don't remember the quote exactly but something like "it does not matter who wins the battle; important is who wins the war!"
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 24.06.2013, 17:44
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,603 Times in 6,336 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Seems to be turning in the direction of a Shia/Sunni fight both within & beyond the borders of Syria.
Quote from the FT related to the Hizbollah intervention;
"Sheikh Yusuf Qaradawi, one of the most prominent (Sunni) preachers, called on Sunni in the region to join the battle against Mr Assad. " How could 100m Shia (worldwide) defeat 1.7bn (Sunni)?" he asked in a sermon?"

I think Assad publically involving Hizbollah was a good short term tactic but may turn out to be a losing strategy.
I don't remember the quote exactly but something like "it does not matter who wins the battle; important is who wins the war!"
& today;
"Lebanese forces battlingfollowers of a hardline Sunni Muslim cleric have closed in on the mosque wherethey are taking cover, according to the national news agency. It said 12soldiers had been killed since fighting started on Sunday.

The clashes in Sidon, Lebanon'sthird largest city 25 miles (40km) south of Beirut, are the latest bout ofviolence in Lebanon linked to the conflict in neighbouring Syria, and thebloodiest yet involving the army."
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 26.06.2013, 23:47
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,603 Times in 6,336 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

& today
"Russia has evacuated the last of its personnel from Syria, including from its Mediterranean naval base in Tartus, in a move that appears to underline Moscow's mounting concerns about the escalating crisis.

The effective closure of the Tartus base would be a significant loss, though a 16-ship naval task force is still in the eastern Mediterranean. The base is Russia's only foothold in the Middle East."
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offering: Private Apartment in St. Gallen from 20.03.10 till 10.04.10 jttraveller Property wanted 0 16.01.2010 20:10
FLATshare/RoomShare - anywhere in CH till 30 Sept thick_guy_9 Property wanted 0 27.08.2009 16:19
Flat in basel just for 2 month till novamber? hamdi Property wanted 0 26.08.2008 19:42
Anyone else experiencing roadworks going on till late? argus Complaints corner 12 08.08.2008 15:59
For Sale till next saturday Anton Items for sale 11 11.01.2008 14:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0