Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #901  
Old 02.08.2016, 07:30
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 432
Groaned at 172 Times in 127 Posts
Thanked 1,627 Times in 880 Posts
Pashosh is considered knowledgeablePashosh is considered knowledgeablePashosh is considered knowledgeable
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
is Afghanistan on the Medierranean ?
what SEAport does Afghanistan have ?
Correct: Syria is the new Costa Rica, obviously.
Reply With Quote
  #902  
Old 02.08.2016, 14:00
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,126
Groaned at 551 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 8,866 Times in 3,553 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Vladimir is gonna kick some asses for this ...

Russian helicopter shot down in Syria
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36939137

Looks like he's made a start:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36951783
Reply With Quote
  #903  
Old 02.08.2016, 14:23
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,951
Groaned at 105 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 5,437 Times in 3,056 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
There's no mention that it was Russian helicopter that dropped chlorine gas.
Reply With Quote
  #904  
Old 02.08.2016, 14:28
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,126
Groaned at 551 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 8,866 Times in 3,553 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
There's no mention that it was Russian helicopter that dropped chlorine gas.
Just happened to be in the same area as where that Russian helicopter got downed. Doubt it'll ever be clear who was responsible, nothing ever is in these conflicts.
Reply With Quote
  #905  
Old 02.08.2016, 15:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 6,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 7,751 Times in 4,045 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
There's no mention that it was Russian helicopter that dropped chlorine gas.
Assad can't possibly be that stupid, the reactions to the gassings four(?) years ago must still be fresh in his mind. The west is a highly unlikely candidate, too. That leaves precious few conflict parties with choppers on the spot.
Reply With Quote
  #906  
Old 02.08.2016, 17:48
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 432
Groaned at 172 Times in 127 Posts
Thanked 1,627 Times in 880 Posts
Pashosh is considered knowledgeablePashosh is considered knowledgeablePashosh is considered knowledgeable
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Assad can't possibly be that stupid, the reactions to the gassings four(?) years ago must still be fresh in his mind. The west is a highly unlikely candidate, too. That leaves precious few conflict parties with choppers on the spot.
Didn't Obama say that the use of chemical weapons won't be tolerated which led to Assad getting rid of them?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pashosh for this useful post:
  #907  
Old 07.08.2016, 17:55
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,000
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,725 Times in 7,003 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

The people of east Aleppo were dancing in the street, as rebels and activists confirmed today that the month-long siege of the area had been broken.

Source

Almost a year since the Russians joined the conflict; they have been dragged down into this quagmire like everybody else.

Stand up all the people who said they would quickly make a big difference compared to the West's bombing of ISIS.

The Russians have managed to help Assad stay in power but have had little impact on ISIS; which they claimed was their main goal?

Last edited by marton; 07.08.2016 at 21:12.
Reply With Quote
  #908  
Old 07.08.2016, 21:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,000
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,725 Times in 7,003 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Something tells me that the Russian attacks will be way more effective than the Western ones
Bye bye ISIS
Do you still feel the same way?
Reply With Quote
  #909  
Old 07.08.2016, 21:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,434
Groaned at 86 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 1,730 Times in 781 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
The people of east Aleppo were dancing in the street, as rebels and activists confirmed today that the month-long siege of the area had been broken.

Source

Almost a year since the Russians joined the conflict; they have been dragged down into this mire like everybody else.

Stand up all the people who said they would quickly make a big difference compared to the West's bombing of ISIS.

The Russians have managed to help Assad stay in power but have had little impact on ISIS; which they claimed was their main goal?
Do you have anything of substance to add? Opinion as to what would be a good solution for this mess to end?

I assume that you care nothing about the people in Syria but just would like to see Putin and Assad fail. Do you really think a victory by your "rebels and activists", which are understood by everybody to be Al Qaida, will be better for the people of Syria?

And you're still hung up on ISIS aren't you?
Reply With Quote
  #910  
Old 07.08.2016, 21:33
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 432
Groaned at 172 Times in 127 Posts
Thanked 1,627 Times in 880 Posts
Pashosh is considered knowledgeablePashosh is considered knowledgeablePashosh is considered knowledgeable
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
I'll wager that within 12 months, the major fighting is over with the victors being on the side of Assad. 100 CHFs to the charity of the victor's choosing.
With about 2 months to go, your chances aren't great.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pashosh for this useful post:
  #911  
Old 07.08.2016, 22:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,000
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,725 Times in 7,003 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Do you have anything of substance to add? Opinion as to what would be a good solution for this mess to end?

I assume that you care nothing about the people in Syria but just would like to see Putin and Assad fail. Do you really think a victory by your "rebels and activists", which are understood by everybody to be Al Qaida, will be better for the people of Syria?

And you're still hung up on ISIS aren't you?
There are around 100 different rebel groups, not just Al Qaeda who are relatively small here.

Yes I do believe ISIS are the biggest threat; they are both well funded and well organised plus they are extremely brutal

The people of Syria are in a terrible position; being bombed daily by Putin and Assad is no solution.

No I do not have a solution to offer; I look forward to yours?
Reply With Quote
  #912  
Old 07.08.2016, 23:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,434
Groaned at 86 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 1,730 Times in 781 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
There are around 100 different rebel groups, not just Al Qaeda who are relatively small here.

Yes I do believe ISIS are the biggest threat; they are both well funded and well organised plus they are extremely brutal

The people of Syria are in a terrible position; being bombed daily by Putin and Assad is no solution.

No I do not have a solution to offer; I look forward to yours?
My opinion is the same as it has always been. Putin and Iran to prop up Assad and back him militarily to end the civil war. Don't worry about ISIS until that has been accomplished. Everybody in the world hates ISIS but the real threat is providing them a breeding ground by having countries with no functional government.

I am by no means saying this conflict is close to being over but you continually refuse to recognize the advances that Syrian forces have made with the backing of the Russian military. You only post up bullshit news articles that talk about so-called-moderate rebel battle victories. The fact is that Syria is much more secure since the Russians got involved.

Yesterday in the NY Times
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Patxi for this useful post:
  #913  
Old 08.08.2016, 00:19
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,026
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Correct: Syria is the new Costa Rica, obviously.


is Costa Rica on the Mediterranean ?
Reply With Quote
  #914  
Old 08.08.2016, 00:25
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,026
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
The people of east Aleppo were dancing in the street, as rebels and activists confirmed today that the month-long siege of the area had been broken.

Source

Almost a year since the Russians joined the conflict; they have been dragged down into this quagmire like everybody else.

Stand up all the people who said they would quickly make a big difference compared to the West's bombing of ISIS.

The Russians have managed to help Assad stay in power but have had little impact on ISIS; which they claimed was their main goal?

Government troops took Palmyra and WILL GET the rest of Aleppo


THE problem is that the Russians have to turn the Syrian army into a serious territorial army
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #915  
Old 08.08.2016, 01:00
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,000
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,725 Times in 7,003 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
My opinion is the same as it has always been. Putin and Iran to prop up Assad and back him militarily to end the civil war. Don't worry about ISIS until that has been accomplished. Everybody in the world hates ISIS but the real threat is providing them a breeding ground by having countries with no functional government.

I am by no means saying this conflict is close to being over but you continually refuse to recognize the advances that Syrian forces have made with the backing of the Russian military. You only post up bullshit news articles that talk about so-called-moderate rebel battle victories. The fact is that Syria is much more secure since the Russians got involved.

Yesterday in the NY Times
Thanks
In your link it says "Mr. Putin has thus far met his goals in Syria "
This is quite a bold statement as Putin never stated what his goals were?
So how does anybody know they were met?

You wrote "you continually refuse to recognise the advances that Syrian forces have made with the backing of the Russian military" I am happy to recognise these advances when clearly stated but I never saw a definitive list?
There has been fighting in and around Aleppo for years but the Syrian Govt, never succeeded to gain control of Aleppo despite multiple claims of success.

"The fact is that Syria is much more secure since the Russians got involved." Please define "secure" and explain why despite this "security" refugees continue to leave in their millions and certainly do not return to this now "secure* country?
Reply With Quote
  #916  
Old 08.08.2016, 01:08
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,000
Groaned at 300 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 12,725 Times in 7,003 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Government troops took Palmyra and WILL GET the rest of Aleppo


THE problem is that the Russians have to turn the Syrian army into a serious territorial army
"THE problem is that the Russians have to turn the Syrian army into a serious territorial army" Same problem the US face with the Iraqi army; how do you turn such a group into an effective fighting force when they lack skills, lack motivation and certainly will not willingly lay down their lives for their leaders?

Any army that consists of conscripts will never achieve the success level of professional soldiers. Fighting alongside Iranians and Libyans is also not an ideal way to build a patriotic force
Reply With Quote
  #917  
Old 08.08.2016, 03:45
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,026
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
"THE problem is that the Russians have to turn the Syrian army into a serious territorial army" Same problem the US face with the Iraqi army; how do you turn such a group into an effective fighting force when they lack skills, lack motivation and certainly will not willingly lay down their lives for their leaders?

Any army that consists of conscripts will never achieve the success level of professional soldiers. Fighting alongside Iranians and Libyans is also not an ideal way to build a patriotic force

the problem with most Arab armies is that most of them just control major cities but not the territory. IRAQ : while the Americans use the USAF for air action in Iraq, the Russians are REbuilding the once strong Iraqi Air Force, something the USA under Israeli influence avoided


and btw. the armies of the Scandinavian countries, the BeNEeLux, of Germany, Switzerland, Italy. Spain, Portugal and Turkey are NOT Professional armies but based on conscripts
Reply With Quote
  #918  
Old 08.08.2016, 13:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 6,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 7,751 Times in 4,045 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Didn't Obama say that the use of chemical weapons won't be tolerated which led to Assad getting rid of them?
Yes but no. It took Putin to have Assad have them destroyed.
Reply With Quote
  #919  
Old 08.08.2016, 13:19
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,126
Groaned at 551 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 8,866 Times in 3,553 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
There are around 100 different rebel groups, not just Al Qaeda who are relatively small here.

Yes I do believe ISIS are the biggest threat; they are both well funded and well organised plus they are extremely brutal

The people of Syria are in a terrible position; being bombed daily by Putin and Assad is no solution.

No I do not have a solution to offer; I look forward to yours?
The problem in Syria would be a lot easier to solve if millions of young men hadn't just simply ran away. Leaving women, children, elderly and infirm in a desperate situation.
Reply With Quote
  #920  
Old 08.08.2016, 13:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 6,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 7,751 Times in 4,045 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
The problem in Syria would be a lot easier to solve if millions of young men hadn't just simply ran away. Leaving women, children, elderly and infirm in a desperate situation.
And you think they would all fight for the same force? Why then don't those that remained? Otherwise there would simply be more fighters involved without any actual change.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offering: Private Apartment in St. Gallen from 20.03.10 till 10.04.10 jttraveller Property wanted 0 16.01.2010 19:10
FLATshare/RoomShare - anywhere in CH till 30 Sept thick_guy_9 Property wanted 0 27.08.2009 15:19
Flat in basel just for 2 month till novamber? hamdi Property wanted 0 26.08.2008 18:42
Anyone else experiencing roadworks going on till late? argus Complaints corner 12 08.08.2008 14:59
For Sale till next saturday Anton Items for sale 11 11.01.2008 13:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0