Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1341  
Old 03.03.2020, 21:24
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,614
Groaned at 404 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 17,178 Times in 9,248 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Nobody is rolling out the welcome mat during a pandemic. Sorry.

Merkel and her communist EU brethren had five years to fix this and have done nothing.

Maybe the Chinese would be interested in some refugees though. I’m pretty sure they could use some replacement factory workers. From what I see on YouTube, they have a few already built cities that need to be populated too.

Sounds like a win win win scenario.
Actually the picture is looking good.
Germany has since 2015 (when some 1.3 million refugees entered) enjoyed substantial economic growth, record low unemployment rates, as well as record federal budget surpluses.

Around one in two of the refugees who have arrived in Germany since 2013 have found steady employment within five years, a new study says.
Reply With Quote
  #1342  
Old 03.03.2020, 21:44
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 289
Groaned at 201 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 995 Times in 467 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Actually the picture is looking good.
Germany has since 2015 (when some 1.3 million refugees entered) enjoyed substantial economic growth, record low unemployment rates, as well as record federal budget surpluses.

Around one in two of the refugees who have arrived in Germany since 2013 have found steady employment within five years, a new study says.
Strange, 'the picture is looking good' with the migrants yet the EU was paying Turkey billions to stop them from coming and is now being threatened with their arrival
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Full Circle for this useful post:
  #1343  
Old 03.03.2020, 22:36
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,614
Groaned at 404 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 17,178 Times in 9,248 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Strange, 'the picture is looking good' with the migrants yet the EU was paying Turkey billions to stop them from coming and is now being threatened with their arrival
Well in your own words
Quote:
View Post
Or maybe there's some people who can simply see the undermining problems with the EU.
Or not?
Reply With Quote
  #1344  
Old 04.03.2020, 12:17
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 289
Groaned at 201 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 995 Times in 467 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Well in your own words
Or not?
I don't really know what the out of context quote from another thread has to do with it

In any case, the EU seems to have rejected your hypothesis as they've now pledged millions to the Greeks to help keep the 'cash cows' out of Europe.
Reply With Quote
  #1345  
Old 04.03.2020, 14:42
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 227 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
Actually the picture is looking good.
Germany has since 2015 (when some 1.3 million refugees entered) enjoyed substantial economic growth, record low unemployment rates, as well as record federal budget surpluses.
German growth is below the EU average, and well below the US.

Quote:
View Post
Around one in two of the refugees who have arrived in Germany since 2013 have found steady employment within five years, a new study says.
With one in two being in work, that means one half of the refugees need to generate enough taxes to feed the other half before you even start seeing a net benefit. Seeing many are in low paid jobs (and not the doctors and engineers that Merkel promised) that is not very likely, not even in high tax Germany.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #1346  
Old 04.03.2020, 15:03
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,614
Groaned at 404 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 17,178 Times in 9,248 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
I don't really know what the out of context quote from another thread has to do with it

In any case, the EU seems to have rejected your hypothesis as they've now pledged millions to the Greeks to help keep the 'cash cows' out of Europe.
There is no link between the EU's humanitarian payments to Turkey and Germany's success in integrating refugees?
Reply With Quote
  #1347  
Old 04.03.2020, 15:17
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,614
Groaned at 404 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 17,178 Times in 9,248 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
With one in two being in work, that means one half of the refugees need to generate enough taxes to feed the other half before you even start seeing a net benefit. Seeing many are in low paid jobs (and not the doctors and engineers that Merkel promised) that is not very likely, not even in high tax Germany.
You are ignoring the fact that refugees, like the rest of the population, include women and children and I am sure that even the low paid can feed their families.

The German Medical Association states that the largest influx of foreign doctors in the past year are from Syria, with nearly 737 Syrian physicians entering the German workforce in 2017.

They also estimate that there are more than 3370 Syrian doctors working in Germany. However, this likely underestimates the true number as it omits those who have German citizenship or are completing their registration.
Reply With Quote
  #1348  
Old 04.03.2020, 15:34
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 471
Groaned at 213 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,801 Times in 989 Posts
Pashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthy
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
There is no link between the EU's humanitarian payments to Turkey and Germany's success in integrating refugees?
There is a weak link between your post about refugees/immigrants and the war in Syria. Even if the war would end today the Iranians/Afghanis/Pakistanis would still try to reach Europe.

Please stay on topic.

The cynicism of Erdogan in Syria is like something out of 1984: a few years ago he was best friends with Assad & Hizbullah. today he is fighting them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pashosh for this useful post:
  #1349  
Old 04.03.2020, 15:40
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 227 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
The German Medical Association states that the largest influx of foreign doctors in the past year are from Syria, with nearly 737 Syrian physicians entering the German workforce in 2017.
Interesting fact.
The largest influx of doctors into Argentina in 1945 was from Germany.
I wonder what they had been doing during the war?

Quote:
View Post
They also estimate that there are more than 3370 Syrian doctors working in Germany. However, this likely underestimates the true number as it omits those who have German citizenship or are completing their registration.
For more than a million refugees, that is still a third of a percent. So Merkel's statement about doctors and engineers remains an exaggeration.

Probably much less than a third of a percent even, if we consider that many of the doctors didn't come with the refugee stream but came with work visas and a nice reference letter from Assad.
Reply With Quote
  #1350  
Old 04.03.2020, 16:26
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,614
Groaned at 404 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 17,178 Times in 9,248 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
There is a weak link between your post about refugees/immigrants and the war in Syria. Even if the war would end today the Iranians/Afghanis/Pakistanis would still try to reach Europe.

Please stay on topic.

The cynicism of Erdogan in Syria is like something out of 1984: a few years ago he was best friends with Assad & Hizbullah. today he is fighting them.
If you believe refugees are off-topic then you need to complain to whoever merged the "The Europeans not extending any welcome to Syrians" thread with this one!

But if you want to give me the blame that is OK, I have broad shoulders and a big ego
Reply With Quote
  #1351  
Old 04.03.2020, 17:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,420
Groaned at 109 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 1,519 Times in 872 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

So, just after Macron has just called for a thaw between EU and Russia, any new EU sanctions on Russia aren't there, despite Russia's war crimes there? BTW: Germany investments in Russia in 2019 were record high.
Turkey at least tolerated ISIS oil exports to support the war against Assad - where are the sanctions on Turkey? Ah well.
Reply With Quote
  #1352  
Old 04.03.2020, 17:49
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 289
Groaned at 201 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 995 Times in 467 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
There is no link between the EU's humanitarian payments to Turkey and Germany's success in integrating refugees?
The German Interior Minister tweeted that Germany doesn't want them! So much for the successful integration

https://mobile.twitter.com/BMI_Bund/...11949915381767
Reply With Quote
  #1353  
Old 04.03.2020, 18:13
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,614
Groaned at 404 Times in 348 Posts
Thanked 17,178 Times in 9,248 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
The German Interior Minister tweeted that Germany doesn't want them! So much for the successful integration

https://mobile.twitter.com/BMI_Bund/...11949915381767
This tweet does not mention integration

Anyway, he is a strange character. Yesterday German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer declined a friendly handshake with Chancellor Angela Merkel on the grounds he was worried about coronavirus.
Reply With Quote
  #1354  
Old 12.03.2020, 12:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,420
Groaned at 109 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 1,519 Times in 872 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Europeans not extending any welcome to Syrians

Quote:
View Post
Stop spreading misinformation! Anyone can enter Greece through the legal way. There are 4 Greek consulates and an embassy in Turkey. Anyone is welcome to apply for asylum.

Attacking the border with rocks and teargas (provided by Turkish Gendarmerie)is a no no.
Still, Greece is the strongest opponent of EU sanctions on Russia.
Must be a hard choice - favouring Russia, the enemy of Greece enemy (Turkey) vs the refugees influx?
Reply With Quote
  #1355  
Old 12.03.2020, 13:49
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 471
Groaned at 213 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,801 Times in 989 Posts
Pashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthy
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Dragging the thread back on topic:
Syria is very likely to suffer greatly from Corona: With many Iranians moving in and out Syria and the terrible state of the health system corona will spread rapidly.

Assad's response: deny and conceal.
Reply With Quote
  #1356  
Old 12.03.2020, 14:02
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 227 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Syria - It ain't over till it's over

Quote:
View Post
This tweet does not mention integration

Anyway, he is a strange character. Yesterday German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer declined a friendly handshake with Chancellor Angela Merkel on the grounds he was worried about coronavirus.
He is a strange character in many respects. I gather a lot of people like him though.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else experiencing roadworks going on till late? argus Complaints corner 12 08.08.2008 15:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0