Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04.04.2011, 12:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Quote:
View Post
I disagree. He only selects groups he wants to point and laugh at.
I do that, too, but not on telly.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04.04.2011, 12:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Easy targets, who wouldn't be half as famous if people like Mr Theroux didn't keep drawing attention to them.

Boooooring!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 04.04.2011, 13:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

I'm not sure that Louis has ever said that he is aiming to be a Pulitzer prize winning journalist - what he is doing, is giving us a view inside the lives of people we would otherwise have no real access to.

I give you that a lot of the people he 'temporarily integrates' with are in fact laughable people who YOU might point and laugh at on the TV, but to be honest I'm pretty sure that's not his PoV on this. I was certainly not laughing at the Phelps family, nor was I laughing at the white supremacists, nor the death row inmates, and especially not at Paul Daniels...but then who does laugh at Paul Daniels?

His style is somewhat unique, in that he is able to integrate into the lives of people, who would usually only get a glib 5 minutes on Parkinson/10 O'clock news, and actually show the viewer what makes these people tick.

Last night's episode was excellent in showing the church to be filled with hate and hypocrisy. The only emotion I was feeling was sympathy for their kids who had been indoctrinated with this crap, and unable to lead a normal healthy life. The daughter who did break away had been so psychologically damaged by the breaking of her bond with her parents, that the colder they were towards her, the more heartrending it was.

DB has a point, this group thrives on the Oxygen of publicity, but I think programs like LT's are quite valuable in the fight against them, as anyone who watched the programme is presumably no longer outraged by them, but feels sorry for them, and so can ignore their bigoted chanting and protesting without getting riled.

In the US, 'God' is a powerful word and is closely interweaved into the fabric of life/society, the fact that they are (mis)appropriating 'God' jerks a lot of emotions in people there. I think they would be far less effective as a reactionary mob in the UK, as their schtick wouldn't fly in a country of relative religious apathy and atheism.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04.04.2011, 13:27
monkeynut's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,128
Groaned at 38 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,392 Times in 521 Posts
monkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Quote:
View Post
I disagree. He only selects groups he wants to point and laugh at.
people who deserves to be pointed and laughed at.. there is a difference
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04.04.2011, 13:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Quote:
View Post
people who deserves to be pointed and laughed at.. there is a difference
That's freedom of speech for you, we can laugh at who we like, even if it annoys them!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04.04.2011, 13:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

I wouldn't worry too much about these people they're off to Jerusalem soon to "help" 144,000 Jews, once they're done with that they're off into some pink caves in Jordan....

This will be interesting Jordan's a 92% Muslim country, 6% Christian. Wonder if they can picket there?

Hell I bought it didn't you?

Hmm well I wonder how that's going to work out.. Lets see shall we it all happens next year, wonder what will happen when boss cult man doesn't deliver the goods? Not that I doubt him at all.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04.04.2011, 14:06
Traubert's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,136
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 2,265 Times in 801 Posts
Traubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Quote:
View Post
I disagree. He only selects groups he wants to point and laugh at.
You are wrong about this.

Theroux explores mostly two categories of social documentary.

1) The weird and wonderful, which is very often point and laugh as you call it.
2) Investigative journalism.

You have obviously seen his weird and wonderful stuff, behind which is a serious tone. In last night's show for example, he shows you the psychological abuse that the children of the church endure. Small kids spouting crazy fundamentaloid crap because that's what they've been raised to believe. The young children that have been banished by their community and the damage inflicted on these young people. He shows this without saying anything, just by asking the kids a few questions. There was no point and laugh, there was no wry smile. It was simply, not funny.

His other works like A City addicted to Crystal Meth, Law and Order in Philadelphia and Law and Order in Johannesburg were a far cry from point and laugh. That was some serious documentary making. Some very brave reporting from the human game reserve on the human condition.

If you don't like him, fine. If you think he is a condescending prick that's OK too, but when you comment on his corpus of work, be fair.
__________________
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Traubert for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 04.04.2011, 14:07
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 449
Groaned at 222 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,002 Posts
Pashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisance
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Quote:
View Post
people who deserves to be pointed and laughed at.. there is a difference
Who doesn't deserve to be laughed at ?

LT trick was done before (See Sacha Baron Cohen's Ali G, Borat etc) and will be done again because it's so effective - let people speak their mind freely and you'll hear things that are not said in "polite" company. As long as the editing is fair, why not ?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04.04.2011, 14:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Quote:
View Post
You are wrong about this.

Theroux explores mostly two categories of social documentary.

1) The weird and wonderful, which is very often point and laugh as you call it.
2) Investigative journalism.

You have obviously seen his weird and wonderful stuff, behind which is a serious tone. In last night's show for example, he shows you the psychological abuse that the children of the church endure. Small kids spouting crazy fundamentaloid crap because that's what they've been raised to believe. The young children that have been banished by their community and the damage inflicted on these young people. He shows this without saying anything, just by asking the kids a few questions. There was no point and laugh, there was no wry smile. It was simply, not funny.

His other works like A City addicted to Crystal Meth, Law and Order in Philadelphia and Law and Order in Johannesburg were a far cry from point and laugh. That was some serious documentary making. Some very brave reporting from the human game reserve on the human condition.

If you don't like him, fine. If you think he is a condescending prick that's OK too, but when you comment on his corpus of work, be fair.
A City addicted to Crystal Meth was a horrible insight. I agree, I don't think he pokes fun he just asks the questions that I'd want to hear answers too. What I like about his stuff is the human side, he doesn't judge people for their choices. He lets them be themselves and I think from that side of things it makes it much more interesting to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04.04.2011, 14:27
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Quote:
View Post
Who doesn't deserve to be laughed at ?

LT trick was done before (See Sacha Baron Cohen's Ali G, Borat etc) and will be done again because it's so effective - let people speak their mind freely and you'll hear things that are not said in "polite" company. As long as the editing is fair, why not ?
Sorry Pashosh, that's just plain wrong.

Ali G is comedy, that aims to be comedy. Baron Cohen also twists what people say around (to great comedy effect - the one I particularly remember is how he managed to get a US DEA agent to endorse use of weed - had him peddling only to be cut off as the credits came on - priceless).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdmuVS7O6FY

But Theroux is not out for cheap laughs.

Last edited by Carlos R; 04.04.2011 at 14:29. Reason: link added for laughs...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 04.04.2011, 14:39
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 449
Groaned at 222 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,002 Posts
Pashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisance
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Quote:
View Post
Sorry Pashosh, that's just plain wrong.

Ali G is comedy, that aims to be comedy. Baron Cohen also twists what people say around (to great comedy effect - the one I particularly remember is how he managed to get a US DEA agent to endorse use of weed - had him peddling only to be cut off as the credits came on - priceless).

But Theroux is not out for cheap laughs.
Baron cohen is no "twisting" peoples words - he lets them speak. your example shows it clearly. nowhere in that vid is the DEA agent endorse the use of weed ( or any other drug). the DEA guy actually caught on to Cohen's trick and played along nicely.

The trick is the same, but used towards differenet goals. Baron Cohen gets laughs out of it, Theroux gets "investigative journalism".

But my main point is that anyone can be laughed at. not only "people who deserve it". As long as it's done fairly (i.e:not putting words into people's mouths, snarky commentary etc)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04.04.2011, 14:44
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Louis Theroux Vs Westboro Bapstist Church 2

Quote:
View Post
Baron cohen is no "twisting" peoples words - he lets them speak. your example shows it clearly. nowhere in that vid is the DEA agent endorse the use of weed ( or any other drug). the DEA guy actually caught on to Cohen's trick and played along nicely.

The trick is the same, but used towards differenet goals. Baron Cohen gets laughs out of it, Theroux gets "investigative journalism".
OK - point taken - I hadn't seen the vid for a while and only re-watched it after posting the link. My mistake.

However, I still think there is a huge difference between the two. Ali G is clearly taking the piss, as with Borat.

LT isn't. He doesn't ask silly questions, but he does asks for explanations and usually gets them. He doesn't ridicule his interviewees.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
louis theroux, westboro baptist church




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Church visits without paying church tax JOW Daily life 105 08.04.2013 16:51
God hates hackers, says Westboro pastor Doktor.B General off-topic 5 22.02.2011 17:37
Church Blessing for Church of England ClareWhitehouse Family matters/health 3 13.02.2011 20:17
Louis Theroux Brianb_ie General off-topic 31 17.01.2008 11:08
Heads up: BBC2 this evening (4/4/07, 11:20 BST) Louis Theroux Gav TV/internet/telephone 6 05.04.2007 15:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0