English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed. (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/112775-us-gov-claiming-osama-bin-laden-killed.html)

Ouchboy 02.05.2011 16:35

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1183748)
Please, don't call Talibans muslims, it is an insult for the rest of us.

But they are muslim fundamentalists, are they not? :confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1183748)

The commando went in with the order to kill the guy.

Unless you have some sort of top clearance, that cannot be determinded at the moment. I agree that it is t he most likely thing. But it is only an assumption.

scrambled 02.05.2011 16:35

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by terryhall (Post 1183734)
It's funny how with Osama Bin Laden dead, and Khalid Sheikh Mohammend arrested in 2005, it seems that now the person who was behind 9/11 was actually Ayman Al-Zawahiri, who incidentally is the most senior member of Al Qaeda still at large, and likely to become the new figurehead in place of Osama.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11489337

It's almost as if the only way that the governments involved can justify wasting billions on this (in my opinion) futile "war on terror", is to be able to say to the lowest common denominator "but look what he did first....!"

What do you propose then? that countries and governments just roll over and ignore mass terror attacks on their soil? eventually somebody will have to step up and do the dirty work. we can't all be Spain.

Wasted 02.05.2011 16:36

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ouchboy (Post 1183726)
Who said it was an apache??? no seriously? If the infiltrated someone must have been with blackhawks, no?

Although, I guess Air support must have been available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadvine (Post 1183730)
Right, because Apaches are not used to drop special forces teams. I assume the poster is not familiar with American helicopters.

No official sources, as the area has been sealed off and press is not allowed in to verify anything. Just rumours and "eye witness accounts" from earlier.

Even if it was Blackhawk or any other military chopper, there would be a reason for it going down and also how could US and Pakistan both claim to lose a helicopter when, only 1 chopper went down?!

Obama thanking Pakistan for "its support and cooperation" in the operation whereas Pakistan Foreign Office stating they did not take part in the Operation.

Not saying whats true, but just the contradictions and confusing accounts.

terryhall 02.05.2011 16:37

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrambled (Post 1183757)
What do you propose then? that countries and governments just roll over and ignore mass terror attacks on their soil? eventually somebody will have to step up and do the dirty work. we can't all be Spain.

No - but justifying it on the basis that "this is the guy behind 9/11" is like the boy who cried wolf - they can't all have done it...

MrVertigo 02.05.2011 16:38

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1183748)
Please, don't call Talibans muslims, it is an insult for the rest of us.
(...) By burrying him within the Islam tradition, they do the right thing to not ''offend'' some members of the muslim community who could take it as an offence.
(...)

;)

. Taliban are not muslim, therefore Osama isn't also a muslim.

So why should he deserve a burrying in islamic tradition?

scrambled 02.05.2011 16:38

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_bean (Post 1183746)

article from the local Pakistani newspaper (dawn)

“All of a sudden there was firing towards the helicopters from the ground,” said Khan, who watched the drama unfold from his roof.
“There was intense firing and then I saw one of the helicopters crash.”

No no wait, you mean to report that Bin Laden offered no resistance to capture but still was executed without a fair trial by some maverick navy SEAL.

Nil 02.05.2011 16:40

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ouchboy (Post 1183756)
But they are muslim fundamentalists, are they not? :confused:


Unless you have some sort of top clearance, that cannot be determinded at the moment. I agree that it is t he most likely thing. But it is only an assumption.

No, believe me on this, they are NOTHING of muslim! They can call themselve what ever they want, but the reality is that this is not what Islam is... Not even when taking in the most radical, fundamatalism, extreme way... Nothing come close to that.

For the rest, of course I can't determined anything, this is why I said it was my two cents! ;)

Ouchboy 02.05.2011 16:40

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasted (Post 1183760)
Even if it was Blackhawk or any other military chopper, there would be a reason for it going down and also how could US and Pakistan both claim to lose a helicopter when, only 1 chopper went down?!
.

Well on the account that there are no official sources, yet you very easily pointed out that it was an Apache, you're in some sort of conundrum.

You can say that 1 helicopter went down, and it was disabled as per SOP. regarding the american info, and 1 "apache" regarding the pakistani.
Although for me, first reports from pakistani and indian news are always highly suspect.

Nil 02.05.2011 16:41

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrVertigo (Post 1183763)
. Taliban are not muslim, therefore Osama isn't also a muslim.

So why should he deserve a burrying in islamic tradition?

He was born as muslim no? I didn't see his birth certificate.... :D

Textoch 02.05.2011 16:45

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlantHead (Post 1183731)
NO.
No one is sorry that he is dead it is just we are not jumping with joy that x million deaths and x billion dollars have been wasted to find a man who was then illegally murdered. It is possible to separate ethics from emotion and not swallow bucket loads of horsesheet propaganda.

Illegally murdered = more than 3,000 innocent people on 9/11.

I think it is a great day! The guy was evil, regardless of whether his claim of responsibility was legitimate or not.

I guess that's just my boring ol' pro-American sentiment showing.

Jaro 02.05.2011 16:45

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
caaaannn't we alllllll just get aloooooooong?:msngrin::D

Confloozed 02.05.2011 16:45

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adi_rock (Post 1183736)
Why you groan at me? Is that for calling that village idiot a terrorist?
How many young americans were sent to a war?
How many of them were brutally killed?
How many are still being recruited?
For what? To fight a war over oil and opium?
How many senators or politicians left their position and joined arms with the marines? How many sons or daughters of those politicians?

Not that I think that it is worth to get too involved with answering your generalizations but...
Village Idiot? He was smart enough to convince millions of people to vote, not once, but twice to stay in power over the US for 8 years, so he's no common fool.
I am going to skip your 2nd two points because you just outlined the parameters of any standing military force on the planet.
And I am so sick of this moronic response to the war in Iraq that it was over oil. I mean cause some one told you that, or you have NO other ideas. Any idea how much this war has costed? Want to take a guess? Any crazy number will do.
If you factor that in to what we already pay for oil, you would see barrels selling for a few hundred dollars ALTEAST. Amongst the many possible reasons we did go to war with Iraq, oil was not one of them.

But if you have forgotten to exploit the idea of the peace loving, non gassing his own people, philanthropist Saddam Hussein was go right ahead I am waiting.
Did you say Opium as a reason we went to war? Seriously, why did I even answer any of that?
Bush is not a terrorist. Not by definition and not any means possible. He is like any other head of state, some of the most peaceful have ordered out their armies in the idea some one be killed, or to capture someone resulting...See Bin Laden this morning's news for example.

PaddyG 02.05.2011 16:46

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
I would say that the Taleban (edit: and Al Qaeda) are about as Muslim as the Westboro Baptist Church are Christian.

i.e. not very

Confloozed 02.05.2011 16:47

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrVertigo (Post 1183763)
. Taliban are not muslim, therefore Osama isn't also a muslim.

So why should he deserve a burrying in islamic tradition?

Osama wasn't in the Taliban...Al Queda...ever heard of them?

adi_rock 02.05.2011 16:47

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
There are some muslims that regard Osama as a holy warrior and holy man same as some regard Bush and Blair to be the same.
Let's not forget that both, Bush and Blair, claimed to have had some kind of "divine" call to wage a war against Iraq and Afghanistan.
Those people are brain washed or they do not possess a thinking sense at all.

Confloozed 02.05.2011 16:48

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaro (Post 1183782)
caaaannn't we alllllll just get aloooooooong?:msngrin::D

Clearly the death of Osama isn't bringing peace to the English Forum.

02.05.2011 16:48

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlantHead (Post 1183731)
NO.
No one is sorry that he is dead it is just we are not jumping with joy that x million deaths and x billion dollars have been wasted to find a man who was then illegally murdered. It is possible to separate ethics from emotion and not swallow bucket loads of horsesheet propaganda.

ROFL what is this "illegally murdered" malarkey? Are we talking about the law of Pakistan? Or must we ramble about "international law" again (it doesn't exist folks). They saw the guy running a good proportion of the terrorism in the world, found they had a clear shot and took it. I think we all have to be particularly evasive and disingenuous to see anything else in the situation.

sharkey 02.05.2011 16:49

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaro (Post 1183782)
caaaannn't we alllllll just get aloooooooong?:msngrin::D


It's more fun this way

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyG (Post 1183784)
I would say that the Taleban are about as Muslim as the Westboro Baptist Church are Christian.

i.e. not very

Whatever way you cut it, they're all crazy religious fu€ks.

02.05.2011 16:49

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolaschulz (Post 1183683)
That was a massacre ...

Not as big a massacre as 'the war on terror'

MrVertigo 02.05.2011 16:50

Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confloozed (Post 1183785)
Osama wasn't in the Taliban...Al Queda...ever heard of them?

what's your point?

Taliban & Alqaeda were sleeping together, it's the same pot of BS.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0