Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #561  
Old 05.05.2011, 23:13
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
Go fight for freedom (learn some manners while you at it), then we'll talk.
I was right, you can't. Your responses get weaker by the minute. Spare me the next dodge. You lost the argument, get over it.
The following 2 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #562  
Old 05.05.2011, 23:38
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 449
Groaned at 222 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,002 Posts
Pashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisance
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
I was right, you can't. Your responses get weaker by the minute. Spare me the next dodge. You lost the argument, get over it.
Yes, you are much better person - you are beyond hating.

No wonder you share political opinions with terrorists.
  #563  
Old 05.05.2011, 23:57
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
Yes, you are much better person - you are beyond hating.

No wonder you share political opinions with terrorists.
Lame troll effort. Remind me what your name means again ?
The following 4 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #564  
Old 06.05.2011, 02:22
Texaner's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zentralschweiz
Posts: 2,047
Groaned at 99 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 2,985 Times in 1,430 Posts
Texaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
So the Bible hasn't been misinterpreted and millions killed in the name of Christianity ?
The Bible certainly has been misinterpreted (ignored, really), by people who have presumed to kill "in the name of" Christ, but that doesn't mean they truly did kill "in his name" (= for his cause). His teachings simply don't endorse killing, whether presumably "in his name" or otherwise. Period. Willfully ignoring that lends undeserved credibility to those impostors (it doesn't help yours, either ).
This user would like to thank Texaner for this useful post:
  #565  
Old 06.05.2011, 02:25
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
So what are your feelings towards OBL ?
a good question. I would say, he was a charismatic rethorically extremely gifted man who turned to be one of the worst criminals on the planet.

Emphasis rightly was put on getting his family and not so much on getting further Qaeda leaders, as his vast fortune falls to the family. As it looks, the fortune by KSA law will go back to the main bin-Ladn family as people kept under legal allegation hardly qualify by KSA law as legal heirs
  #566  
Old 06.05.2011, 02:46
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

If you liken bin Laden to Jesus you will be upsetting both the Muslims and the Christians. Jesus was a prophet to the Muslims, it would be sacrilege to call bin Laden a prophet.
  #567  
Old 06.05.2011, 08:59
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Funny that Pashosh never contribute to this forum about life in Switzerland but only thread that imply Middle East, Islam, Muslims, etc...

The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #568  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:05
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
a good question. I would say, he was a charismatic rethorically extremely gifted man who turned to be one of the worst criminals on the planet.

Emphasis rightly was put on getting his family and not so much on getting further Qaeda leaders, as his vast fortune falls to the family. As it looks, the fortune by KSA law will go back to the main bin-Ladn family as people kept under legal allegation hardly qualify by KSA law as legal heirs
Shall we reserve the use of 'Criminal' to those people that have between convicted after a fair trial ? I am no fan of his acts, but I do believe in due process.
  #569  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:07
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
The Bible certainly has been misinterpreted (ignored, really), by people who have presumed to kill "in the name of" Christ, but that doesn't mean they truly did kill "in his name" (= for his cause). His teachings simply don't endorse killing, whether presumably "in his name" or otherwise. Period. Willfully ignoring that lends undeserved credibility to those impostors (it doesn't help yours, either ).
Wishful thinking. A head in the sand defense of Christianity. A fluffeh defense of the indefensible. Please re-read up on European History.
This user would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #570  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:14
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
If you liken bin Laden to Jesus you will be upsetting both the Muslims and the Christians. Jesus was a prophet to the Muslims, it would be sacrilege to call bin Laden a prophet.
I am not here to protect the feelings of religious groups. I will take cold hard facts and interpret them as I see appropriate. Treading lightly around religious beliefs whilst people are being killed is not an option for logical cold debate.

As the story goes, Jesus was , in his days, seen as a militant subversive threat to the status quo. His execution was the solution Du Jour. That is my analogy with OBL. Many people died , and were killed in his name. Same for OBL. They both were religious freedom fighters. The analogy is stronger than you think.
The following 2 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #571  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:18
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,066
Groaned at 651 Times in 504 Posts
Thanked 25,874 Times in 10,429 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

And people forget that Jesus wasn't a prophet when he died.
  #572  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:21
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
And people forget that Jesus wasn't a prophet when he died.
Indeed. He was a very naughty boy.
The following 5 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #573  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:24
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
The Bible certainly has been misinterpreted (ignored, really), by people who have presumed to kill "in the name of" Christ, but that doesn't mean they truly did kill "in his name" (= for his cause). His teachings simply don't endorse killing, whether presumably "in his name" or otherwise. Period. Willfully ignoring that lends undeserved credibility to those impostors (it doesn't help yours, either ).
Crusades, anyone? Wikipedia reference-linkCrusades

Or maybe what has gone on in Northern Ireland?

Even the Chinese have fought wars in the name of the christian god.

There are a lot of religious wars, both past and present, killing in the name of every god you can imagine - including the christian god. They killed to ease their way into heaven, to further a religious cause, differing beliefs, and because the bible - in their minds - told them to.

I think your take on it is rather pedantic. Although don't forget, the bible does say "an eye for an eye" and other such things, so there's endorsement in there for killing in the name of god.
__________________

This user would like to thank evilshell for this useful post:
  #574  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:27
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
Or maybe what has gone on in Northern Ireland?
^
Not religious - it was (and is) just an easy label for the media. The issue was (and is) republicans v unionists. Members of both main religions are found in each group.
  #575  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:29
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
^
Not religious - it was (and is) just an easy label for the media. The issue was (and is) republicans v unionists. Members of both main religions are found in each group.
True, I guess I think of how people are killed simply for which religion they are.
  #576  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:30
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 449
Groaned at 222 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,002 Posts
Pashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisance
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
Funny that Pashosh never contribute to this forum about life in Switzerland but only thread that imply Middle East, Islam, Muslims, etc...

I post about things I know about and can prove. including posts about Switzerland (use the search).

You should try it sometimes.

speaking of Muslims, the economist has an interesting article about public opinion on OBL:
This user would like to thank Pashosh for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Pashosh for this post:
  #577  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:34
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Graubünden
Posts: 636
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
Crusades, anyone? Wikipedia reference-linkCrusades

Or maybe what has gone on in Northern Ireland?

Even the Chinese have fought wars in the name of the christian god.

There are a lot of religious wars, both past and present, killing in the name of every god you can imagine - including the christian god. They killed to ease their way into heaven, to further a religious cause, differing beliefs, and because the bible - in their minds - told them to.

I think your take on it is rather pedantic. Although don't forget, the bible does say "an eye for an eye" and other such things, so there's endorsement in there for killing in the name of god.
I can agree with both sides to this current argument about killing in the name of religion, but we are forgetting one important factor.

The people who actually kill, foot soldiers in the front line, are usually not so smart and are manipulated or lead to believe to go and fight/kill/die for the good cause. They probably do believe that they are right in doing that, in their ignorance.

The people at the top, who sit comfortably at a distance, who actually incite and give seemingly valid arguments for the killings are the ones who are not exactly doing it for religion or anyone but for their own self interest.
  #578  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:38
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

@Wasted. That last comment rings true for the West, but what of OBL he wasn't exactly enjoying the trappings of mass luxury, and he used his funds to further his cause, rather than some leaders doing it the other way around.
  #579  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:42
Puhutes's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: val Müstair
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 606 Times in 318 Posts
Puhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputation
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

So back to the original point of this thread... US claims they killed Osama. Now 5 days after this claim. Who still believes it?
  #580  
Old 06.05.2011, 09:49
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,624
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 975 Times in 605 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US gov. claiming Osama bin Laden killed.

Quote:
View Post
So back to the original point of this thread... US claims they killed Osama. Now 5 days after this claim. Who still believes it?


Courtesy of John Cole, The Scranton Times-Tribune
The following 3 users would like to thank herc82 for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Telemarketing or gov. activity? MusicChick Insurance 4 11.10.2010 15:06
Web-Laden.ch? Termite Other/general 6 16.04.2007 08:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0