Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 31.05.2011, 18:12
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
you'll get this from the brits here who have nothing positive to say about anybody.
Yup, you sure will... Oh hang on a mo...

Quote:
View Post
America - Land of the free.

Edit: Ah...although this is RT tv, who do like to provoke the US Authorities..., i.e. why is an RT television "presenter" involved in a demonstration that is the news?
Quote:
View Post
Ok I've done some reading and I've changed my mind, in this instance I'm with the cops. It's a sensitive area and no place for dancing etc.
That chip sure must weigh you down.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 31.05.2011, 18:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Monaco
Posts: 514
Groaned at 61 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 658 Times in 281 Posts
scrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
Yup, you sure will... Oh hang on a mo...





That chip sure must weigh you down.
right, between an american and a brit, it's the former with the chip.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 31.05.2011, 18:35
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
lol too funny. Funny that anyone is shocked by this. This is how police are generally - the "career" attracts a certain sort of person, same with the military, so it's no wonder there are abuses constantly. America is clearly the worst in the West though, for the same reason there's more gun crime on a per gun basis than anywhere else in the West. It is a police state, the guy's right.

I had a subordinate officer (very blindly patriotic) order a guy draping himself in an American flag to remove it, fold it properly, and put it away -- or fly it right.

I told him, "You just violated his Constitutional right to free speech." (the thing he swore to uphold and defend). The officer said, "I don't care, he should show respect for the flag."

Wow.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 31.05.2011, 18:38
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

very ironic that this took place right under Thomas Jefferson's nose. He's rolling over in his grave (again).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 31.05.2011, 18:45
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
very ironic that this took place right under Thomas Jefferson's nose. He's rolling over in his grave (again).

Well this was purposed planned here, and set up to get exactly that reaction and viral following that it received.

That guy really irritates me, his base beliefs are good and positive, but drops down to mob mentality and childish behaviour to advertise a point
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 31.05.2011, 18:48
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
I had a subordinate officer (very blindly patriotic) order a guy draping himself in an American flag to remove it, fold it properly, and put it away -- or fly it right.

I told him, "You just violated his Constitutional right to free speech." (the thing he swore to uphold and defend). The officer said, "I don't care, he should show respect for the flag."

Wow.
Quote:
View Post
very ironic that this took place right under Thomas Jefferson's nose. He's rolling over in his grave (again).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't an absolute right to free speech. Aren't there rules in public libraries to whisper?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 31.05.2011, 18:52
Mikey's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ex-Zurich now relieved
Posts: 650
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 473 Times in 245 Posts
Mikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

I don't buy in to all of this "Police State" crap. The police have a very difficult job to do. One minute they could be controlling a seriously violent situation (not this one obviously), then it could be informing a family that their kid has been run over or it could just be dealing with media crazies looking for a fight.

Police arrest techniques have become more brutal over the past few years in response to some pretty poor behaviour by the public at large. In this case I think that the situation got out of hand and they reacted poorly. Upon reflection they might even agree.

Quote:
View Post
you'll get this from the brits here who have nothing positive to say about anybody.
Quote:
View Post
right, between an american and a brit, it's the former with the chip.
Looks like it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikey for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 31.05.2011, 19:26
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

The guys told the Park Service he was going to do this.
The Park Service told him not to, because it was against the rules.
The guy did it anyway.
Sure, the cops may have gotten a bit rought but he was being a narcissistic a**hat. And a coward. Notice he didn't try to go dancing around the Vietnam Memorial.

Oh, and anyone who takes RT seriously.....well, that's just sad. It takes about five minutes of watching them with brain engaged to realize what they're all about.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 31.05.2011, 19:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Is this news?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 31.05.2011, 19:37
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
Is this news?
Totally helpful and nice! Thank you!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 31.05.2011, 19:47
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,569 Times in 3,177 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

I think scrambled is a lovely person and should have a medal and a big kiss. Just not in front of the Jefferson memorial.

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
you'll get this from the brits here who have nothing positive to say about anybody.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 31.05.2011, 19:54
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
The guys told the Park Service he was going to do this.
The Park Service told him not to, because it was against the rules.
The guy did it anyway.
Sure, the cops may have gotten a bit rought but he was being a narcissistic a**hat. And a coward. Notice he didn't try to go dancing around the Vietnam Memorial.

Oh, and anyone who takes RT seriously.....well, that's just sad. It takes about five minutes of watching them with brain engaged to realize what they're all about.
I agree. Kind of like Fox News.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 31.05.2011, 19:58
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
I agree. Kind of like Fox News.
I never took them seriously either. I can't even listen to them. I just added RT to the list.
Of course, that was just a general comment, right?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank phdoofus for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 31.05.2011, 19:58
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,569 Times in 3,177 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Erm..the Battle of Britain memorial remembers the young men and women who gave their lives in defence of their country against one of most dreadful tyrannies in history at a time when the whole fate of the country dangled by a thread and the rest of Western Europe was subjugated and starving.

The Jefferson Memorial was commissioned by Roosevelt, was filled with misquotations from Jefferson and hijacked by FDR to justify his policies in the wake of much criticism and opposition at the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
For ya'll getting on the US and the police in the US, I wonder what you think would happen at memorial monuments in the UK? Say, perhaps, this one, the Battle of Britain London Monument. Maybe that one is too provocative for you as there are still people living who were directly affected by the people and events memorialized by that monument.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 31.05.2011, 20:02
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,569 Times in 3,177 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Like this for example...



Newspaper sellers can be a dangerous bunch when cornered...

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
Police arrest techniques have become more brutal over the past few years in response to some pretty poor behaviour by the public at large.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 31.05.2011, 20:07
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 189
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 214 Times in 93 Posts
AlexS has an excellent reputationAlexS has an excellent reputationAlexS has an excellent reputationAlexS has an excellent reputation
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
I don't buy in to all of this "Police State" crap. The police have a very difficult job to do. One minute they could be controlling a seriously violent situation (not this one obviously), then it could be informing a family that their kid has been run over or it could just be dealing with media crazies looking for a fight.

Police arrest techniques have become more brutal over the past few years in response to some pretty poor behaviour by the public at large. In this case I think that the situation got out of hand and they reacted poorly. Upon reflection they might even agree.

Looks like it.

Having been a member of that "Thin Blue Line" in the UK (inner city Leeds) in my previous life, I can absolutely agree with the above.

Unless, someone has had the b4lls to pick up the baton (in a manner of speaking) and do the job, and in more cases than not, dangerous jobs, then others shouldn't be critical of the level of force used. Granted, the level of force used in the clip might have been a little excessive.

In general (and I speak for the UK) compared to the dangers they face, most Police Constables aren't exactly paid that well either. I've had mad women throwing pots and pans at me, knives pulled on me and used syringes waved in my face, bitten, kicked, punched (and that was just at home ) that no amount of salary justifies. The problem in this litigous world, with so many recording devices, there are people out there who deliberately antagonise people of authority for their own means!!

There, rant over.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 31.05.2011, 20:07
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
Erm..the Battle of Britain memorial remembers the young men and women who gave their lives in defence of their country against one of most dreadful tyrannies in history at a time when the whole fate of the country dangled by a thread and the rest of Western Europe was subjugated and starving.

The Jefferson Memorial was commissioned by Roosevelt, was filled with misquotations from Jefferson and hijacked by FDR to justify his policies in the wake of much criticism and opposition at the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick
My point has to do with the feelings evoked, period.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 31.05.2011, 20:08
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
Is this news?
Glad you're back from your flounce
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 31.05.2011, 20:30
Mikey's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ex-Zurich now relieved
Posts: 650
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 473 Times in 245 Posts
Mikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

Quote:
View Post
Like this for example...



Newspaper sellers can be a dangerous bunch when cornered...

Cheers,
Nick
I think that there is probably more footage of the Police doing bad things on the internet then there is of them just going about their daily job. As Alex says, it's a difficult job and sometimes they get it wrong. But thankfully there is usually someone around to film them when they do so that we can all see how badly behaved they are.

I've always found that if you behave like a d!ck then people will treat you like one. Regardless of whether they are wearing a uniform or not.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikey for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 31.05.2011, 20:49
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,569 Times in 3,177 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arrested for dancing, hugging and kissing....in the US!!

When I was 18 (in the mid 1980s), my three cousins and I were set upon by a gang in an entirely unprovoked attack outside a pub. One of my cousins lost three teeth, the other had a Doc Marten footprint across his ribs. A policeman in a patrol car looked at the scene through his car window and bravely drove on by.

As an active member of CND in the mid 1980s, I went on a visit to the Molesworth cruise missile site with some fellow CND members. All we did was walk around the perimeter of the site - we made no attempt to do anything that might get us arrested. Nonetheless, a van-load of uniformed police followed us around from the inside of the perimeter and did everything to try and goad us into breaking the law (e.g. touching the barbed wire was an arrestable offence) so they could arrest us. We did not give them that satisfaction.

Then there was the case of David Mery - falsely arrested by the Met police for the heinous crime of owning a laptop and an iPod. It took him nearly five years to get the Met to destroy his DNA and issue an apology.

Perhaps I am picking on the few "bad apples" and the police are a wonderful bunch - but I remain to be convinced that they really are there to uphold the law.

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
I think that there is probably more footage of the Police doing bad things on the internet then there is of them just going about their daily job. As Alex says, it's a difficult job and sometimes they get it wrong. But thankfully there is usually someone around to film them when they do so that we can all see how badly behaved they are.

I've always found that if you behave like a d!ck then people will treat you like one. Regardless of whether they are wearing a uniform or not.
__________________

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two bank directors arrested in Iceland Begga International affairs/politics 12 10.03.2011 23:18
Butts arrested in Boob Murder PlantHead International affairs/politics 10 07.09.2010 17:32
Warning: Dancing in front of statues of famous libertarians may get you arrested Guest International affairs/politics 5 17.04.2008 22:27
Recycle now for planet-hugging ecogasms Polorise Jokes/funnies 1 22.08.2007 16:37
Michael Barrymore Arrested? Tim General off-topic 3 23.06.2007 22:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0