Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 15.03.2012, 14:56
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,503
Groaned at 92 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,248 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

has anyone seen the first one? I stumbled across this on swiss tv a few months ago. its warped and sick but I had to watch it through to the end to see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 15.03.2012, 15:02
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,220
Groaned at 2,454 Times in 1,776 Posts
Thanked 39,305 Times in 18,526 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
It is very different from the 1957 French ban on 'Paths of Glory'
Which, ironically, I first saw in France, on French TV, back in 1975!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 15.03.2012, 15:37
turbo! turbo!'s Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 21 Posts
turbo! turbo! has earned the respect of manyturbo! turbo! has earned the respect of manyturbo! turbo! has earned the respect of many
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
Well aren't you just a budding Sherlock Holmes, eh? I actually thought it was a nature flick, it definitely seems to have attracted wildlife like you.

Please respond to my argument or not at all.
My point is that you make some strong statements about a movie of which I doubt you have even seen it. Of course this movie is not for everyone, but I happen to enjoy horror/splatter/gore movies. My advice: If it is not your cup of tea then stay away from it. Censorship or calling people "wildlife" won’t help here.


So please respond to the question in my former post or not at all
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 15.03.2012, 16:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
My point is that you make some strong statements about a movie of which I doubt you have even seen it. Of course this movie is not for everyone, but I happen to enjoy horror/splatter/gore movies. My advice: If it is not your cup of tea then stay away from it. Censorship or calling people "wildlife" won’t help here.


So please respond to the question in my former post or not at all
My argument actually discusses the genre rather than directly the film itself, I wouldn't sit through such tosh, but I have seen the highlights, I think it’s difficult to actually write down on paper, 'I enjoy the exploitation (or dramatized exploitation) of vulnerable people.' It serves as a good gauge as to how sociopathic you actually are.

I for instance tried once to watch the re-make of one of these 80's slasher films, I actually couldn't get past the DVD title screen, there was a recording of a woman screaming that was so real to me that it actually made me subconsciously strive to help and stop whatever torture was happening. Anyone that enjoys that is definately sociopathic.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 15.03.2012, 16:20
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
My argument actually discusses the genre rather than directly the film itself, I wouldn't sit through such tosh, but I have seen the highlights, I think it’s difficult to actually write down on paper, 'I enjoy the exploitation (or dramatized exploitation) of vulnerable people.' It serves as a good gauge as to how sociopathic you actually are.

I for instance tried once to watch the re-make of one of these 80's slasher films, I actually couldn't get past the DVD title screen, there was a recording of a woman screaming that was so real to me that it actually made me subconsciously strive to help and stop whatever torture was happening. Anyone that enjoys that is definately sociopathic.
I think your argument is a little disingenious. I enjoy the odd slasher/exploitation film now and again, but I would definitely not consider myself as a socioipath. I have the wherewithall to distinguish dramatised suffering, mutilation etc from the real thing, thank you very much.

Edit: I actually started to watch HC1, but had to stop as it was just so badly acted. I hadn't even got to the part where he stitches them together .
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 15.03.2012, 16:41
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
Anyone that enjoys that is definately sociopathic.
WTF?
Sociopaths do things without regard for others, censoring films because you don't like them would be closer to a sociopath than someone scaring themselves with a horror.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 15.03.2012, 16:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
WTF?
Sociopaths do things without regard for others, censoring films because you don't like them would be closer to a sociopath than someone scaring themselves with a horror.
I think you have the wrong end of the stick, I don't want to censor anything per-se, but there are scenes that serve no purpose for plot or drama and are purely horror-pornographic i'm not talking about splatter or gore per-se but sexual violence, It is heavily implied in this film, as well as implied racism. Should people be allowed to watch what ever they like?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:01
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
I think you have the wrong end of the stick, I don't want to censor anything per-se, but there are scenes that serve no purpose for plot or drama and are purely horror-pornographic i'm not talking about splatter or gore per-se but sexual violence, It is heavily implied in this film, as well as implied racism. Should people be allowed to watch what ever they like?
Erm, yes. I think adults should be able to decide for themsleves what they watch, as long as no-one suffered in the filming of it.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:08
turbo! turbo!'s Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 21 Posts
turbo! turbo! has earned the respect of manyturbo! turbo! has earned the respect of manyturbo! turbo! has earned the respect of many
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Can you explain to me what exactly was racist about THC2? Because I completely missed that part.

Quote:
View Post
I think you have the wrong end of the stick, I don't want to censor anything per-se, but there are scenes that serve no purpose for plot or drama and are purely horror-pornographic i'm not talking about splatter or gore per-se but sexual violence, It is heavily implied in this film, as well as implied racism. Should people be allowed to watch what ever they like?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:13
Kamarate's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 1,914
Groaned at 57 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,619 Times in 685 Posts
Kamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
Edit: I actually started to watch HC1, but had to stop as it was just so badly acted. I hadn't even got to the part where he stitches them together .
I thought it was an absolutely dreadful film in general. Not too disturbing, just shit (excuse the pun).

Quote:
View Post
Erm, yes. I think adults should be able to decide for themsleves what they watch, as long as no-one suffered in the filming of it.
There's also something to be said for certain things (films, games etc) inspiring people who are pre-disposed to commit violent acts. I'm certainly not part of the camp that blames real life violence on films, but there are some extremes which I personally feel are too far (A Serbian Film, for one). Then again, I sort of feel that way about pornography in general. I'm not anti-porn, but I do think we're developing a generation of youngsters who think certain sexual acts are "normal", when in fact most women are not interested in doing any of these things (however, I think teenage girls are now starting to feel pressure to perform sex acts they're not entirely comfortable with because "that's how it's done"). I'm in two minds about it, really.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kamarate for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
Can you explain to me what exactly was racist about THC2? Because I completely missed that part.
Implied, the Joseph Megele references and the anti german feeling, they really aren't all weird nazis.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:32
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,503
Groaned at 92 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,248 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

I found HC1 pretty disturbing and addictive. Not sure if I enjoyed the movie though
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:34
turbo! turbo!'s Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 21 Posts
turbo! turbo! has earned the respect of manyturbo! turbo! has earned the respect of manyturbo! turbo! has earned the respect of many
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
Implied, the Joseph Megele references and the anti german feeling, they really aren't all weird nazis.
Ah you were referring to part 1, i thought you meant part 2!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:41
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
Implied, the Joseph Megele references and the anti german feeling, they really aren't all weird nazis.
That's stretching it a bit, A lot of bad guys in films are played by Brits with posh accents, is that racist?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:46
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,916 Times in 5,538 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Is pornography banned by the BBC as well? When something is banned by the BBC, what happens?

As for this Centipede business, from what I've seen in Youtube clips, it should be rated X.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:49
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
That's stretching it a bit, A lot of bad guys in films are played by Brits with posh accents, is that racist?
Only if they're dressed like Nazis (had a chuckle as I watched something today where the baddie was a Brit for no apparent reason...)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 15.03.2012, 17:54
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
Only if they're dressed like Nazis (had a chuckle as I watched something today where the baddie was a Brit for no apparent reason...)
I love the tvtopes website:
Evil Brits
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cyrus for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 15.03.2012, 18:08
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,646 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
Is pornography banned by the BBC as well? When something is banned by the BBC, what happens?

As for this Centipede business, from what I've seen in Youtube clips, it should be rated X.
BBFC. - The British Board of Film Classification

They rate films, videos and DVDs in UK.

A film can't be shown or sold without a BBFC rating.

Last edited by mirfield; 15.03.2012 at 18:11. Reason: Nothing to see here. Move on...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 15.03.2012, 18:10
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBFC bans The Human Centipede II

Quote:
View Post
BBFC. - The British Board of Film Classification

They rate films, videos and DVDs in UK.

A film can't be shown or sold without a BBDC rating.
What's BBDC? Or shouldn't i ask?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Human Enhancements (Human 2.0) PlantHead General off-topic 19 07.08.2008 18:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0