Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12.06.2011, 12:53
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
We are talking about major presence of US troops on foreign soil at the begged bequest of foreign Governments. The micro-military actions you talk of do not really fit into this picture. It's an entirely different level.

Don't get me wrong, but people join the army to kill, or help kill, or to assist in some way in the killing process. Painting fairy tale pictures of soldiers handing out candy to kids or assisting helpless refugees is propaganda at it's worst.

The thing about those military installations on foreign soil, if they weren't there, it would be a lot more difficult to put those micro-military actions into action in a timely manner. The bases are positioned in place with strategic interest of defense. The bases in Germany make it much easier to get to and from the Middle East by air, the Navy bases in the Mediterranean make it much easier to help patrol there.

Actually, since it is a major thing in the US - seen as being "less" - if you do not go to college, many people join the military to take advantage of tuition assistance that comes along with it.

The pictures of soldiers handing out candy to kids or assisting refugees is not a fairy tale, not in the least. The members of the US military are encouraged to volunteer in communities and participate in community building efforts wherever they are, no real distinction made between foreign or domestic so far as that goes. I remember my father and some of the guys from his unit going out to do some of the "community love" stuff when we lived in Okinawa and I actually participated with my father when he did some volunteer activities when we lived in Texas and Illinois.

It's not propaganda, it's simply what happens. The only reason civilians even know about it because of people like you who need it pointed out to them that the members of the military are human too. I get my attitude about helping in the community from my father and his guys - it's simply the right thing to do.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry

Last edited by Peg A; 12.06.2011 at 13:34. Reason: punctuation
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 12.06.2011, 12:56
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
you should get out more
All this little digs and nips fail to answer the begging question.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12.06.2011, 12:57
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,599
Groaned at 568 Times in 482 Posts
Thanked 20,824 Times in 10,940 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
All this little digs and nips fail to answer the begging question.
do your own research more thoroughly; why should I do it for you
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12.06.2011, 13:05
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,855
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,638 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

It's starts getting nasty... Again... I'm outta here ... Hiking oder spaziergang machen ?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:21
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,599
Groaned at 568 Times in 482 Posts
Thanked 20,824 Times in 10,940 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
It's starts getting nasty... Again... I'm outta here ... Hiking oder spaziergang machen ?
About "It's starts getting nasty"
Well NATO is all about killing people for good or bad reasons so "nasty" is somewhere/somehow implied

Ich gehe saufen & essen!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:23
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
Now why would you say something like that ?
Because it's clear that you don't know many members of the military if that's what you think. You might dislike their obvious primary mission, but that's no reason to negatively characterize the many fine members of the military based on your ignorant bias. You might take PegA's comments as a starting point for your education. Having grown up next to two military bases in the US, I can say that she is spot on.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank phdoofus for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:35
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
do your own research more thoroughly; why should I do it for you
I have, your answers seems to say you haven't though. Not much of a contribution to the debate was it ?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:38
AmericanGotWorkVisa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 363
Groaned at 51 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 380 Times in 157 Posts
AmericanGotWorkVisa has slipped a little
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
Care to name a few ? Your troops come with financial incentives, it's not the troops these countries want.
Germany complain about us downsizing troups because it "hurt their economy" LOL

Japan and South Korea both wants U.S. troops, even if much of the populous does not...well having lived in Japan, mot Japanese outside of Okinawa are indifferent to American troops because they don't see them often...most U.S. military is in Okinawa, so...

Koreans wanted the U.S. out, but when North Korea started acting up again they specifically asked the U.S. now to draw down troops and send them to Guam.

Poland and the Baltic states don't trust Russia at all or the EU to stick up for them and are very pro-American, for good reason. They actually lived through the Cold War on the bad side of the Iron Curtain...I think I can go on, but you get the point.

Oh yeah Vietnam is thinking of formalizing some treaty to let U.S. troops dock at their ports as a deterrent to China, due to hostilities in the South China Sea over those islands in dispute (which are likely sitting on fossil fuels)...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AmericanGotWorkVisa for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:38
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
Because it's clear that you don't know many members of the military if that's what you think. You might dislike their obvious primary mission, but that's no reason to negatively characterize the many fine members of the military based on your ignorant bias. You might take PegA's comments as a starting point for your education. Having grown up next to two military bases in the US, I can say that she is spot on.
Sorry, who has bias ? Lol. No amount of candy handling will sweeten the purpose of your troops. Nothing ignorant in my reply/question, which has still yet to be answered. No country is begging for US troops. None. Let's leave it at that so you have no further excuse to troll me. Calling soldiers trained killers is neither bias or characterising them negatively, it's a simple true fact. Calling a spade a spade.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:46
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, who has bias ? Lol. No amount of candy handling will sweeten the purpose of your troops. Nothing ignorant in my reply/question, which has still yet to be answered. No country is begging for US troops. None. Let's leave it at that so you have no further excuse to troll me. Calling soldiers trained killers is neither bias or characterising them negatively, it's a simple true fact. Calling a spade a spade.
So, you've asked the leaders of EVERY country for this? You are stating it as if it is a known fact and I feel pretty confident that you have only the barest hint of a clue regarding this, if any.

Of course soldiers are trained killers, that doesn't mean that's all they are.

Your attitude is ignorant and offensive, to say the very least.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:50
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
So, you've asked the leaders of EVERY country for this? You are stating it as if it is a known fact and I feel pretty confident that you have only the barest hint of a clue regarding this, if any.

Of course soldiers are trained killers, that doesn't mean that's all they are.

Your attitude is ignorant and offensive, to say the very least.
Nothing ignorant there. If it's offensive ask yourself why. Personally speaking, offending those that defend the Military is unavoidable, and most times necessary. We are in a new age, put the military toys away now. As for not being just killers, that's akin to having compassion for a child rapist because he buys little kids sweets. Off you go and think about that.

Still, if it's ignorance, I am sure you have some facts to prove me wrong ?

Begging ? Please, spare me.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
We are in a new age


Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:55
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
Nothing ignorant there. If it's offensive ask yourself why. Personally speaking, offending those that defend the Military is unavoidable, and most times necessary. We are in a new age, put the military toys away now. As for not being just killers, that's akin to having compassion for a child rapist because he buys little kids sweets. Off you go and think about that.

Still, if it's ignorance, I am sure you have some facts to prove me wrong ?

Begging ? Please, spare me.

You're comparing soldiers trained to fight for their country as well as aid in defending other countries to RAPISTS?

WTF, why have I not put you on ignore before? People like YOU are the reason I hate "discussing" American politics.

You find some facts to back up your claim that "no country" is asking for American presence on their soil. That was your assertion to begin with, prove it.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:55
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:


The age of diplomacy and negotiation. resolving conflict through non violent means. Still, I expected nothing less from you DB, always trying to poke fun and score meaningless points .
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
You're comparing soldiers trained to fight for their country as well as aid in defending other countries to RAPISTS?

WTF, why have I not put you on ignore before? People like YOU are the reason I hate "discussing" American politics.

You find some facts to back up your claim that "no country" is asking for American presence on their soil. That was your assertion to begin with, prove it.
Steady on, Peg A. This is Upthehatters' strategy. He'll insist that black is white, against all the evidence presented to him, until the thread is locked. Then he'll start a nasty thread about you, full of unfounded allegations. Then, when you respond to his bullying, he'll send you a vile private message threatening to sue you and promising to make you accountable for your attitude the next time he meets you face to face.

I'm surprised he hasn't ordered you to change your avatar yet...

There's always the rep button, though, you know. It needles him no end.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 12.06.2011, 14:59
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
You're comparing soldiers trained to fight for their country as well as aid in defending other countries to RAPISTS?

WTF, why have I not put you on ignore before? People like YOU are the reason I hate "discussing" American politics.

You find some facts to back up your claim that "no country" is asking for American presence on their soil. That was your assertion to begin with, prove it.
No, soldiers are far far far worse. They do it routinely, and get paid for it. They commit far more atrocities than rapists. They get trained to do it. They like doing it.

I did not make the assertion you refer to. I doubted the original claim. The onus is on the Op to prove that point or retract it, the same applies to you.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Upthehatters2008 for this post:
  #37  
Old 12.06.2011, 15:07
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
Steady on, Peg A. This is Upthehatters' strategy. He'll insist that black is white, against all the evidence presented to him, until the thread is locked. Then he'll start a nasty thread about you, full of unfounded allegations. Then, when you respond to his bullying, he'll send you a vile private message threatening to sue you and promising to make you accountable for your attitude the next time he meets you face to face.

I'm surprised he hasn't ordered you to change your avatar yet...

There's always the rep button, though, you know. It needles him no end.

Good luck.
Again, care to prove any of that ? It's just bitter tripe from a troll who got put in his place.

Still, I will leave the proof up to you, you make the claim. Sadly though, most of the claims in this thread are baseless.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12.06.2011, 15:09
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, NATO is a joke and it needed saying. But America should realise that thanks to the history of 20th century in Europe most of Europe, excluding Britain, is very wary of any kind of military engagement...
Wars aren't exclusively due to intra-euro conflicts...The enemy can come from without.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12.06.2011, 15:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
Again, care to prove any of that ? It's just bitter tripe from a troll who got put in his place.
I'm sure any of the moderators could confirm the contents of the private message you sent me. The rest of it is available for all to see right here on the open forum.

That is all I have to say on the matter. Your attitude towards PegA, however, is despicable and deserved comment.

That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12.06.2011, 15:10
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NATO Kaput?

Quote:
View Post
No, soldiers are far far far worse. They do it routinely, and get paid for it. They commit far more atrocities than rapists. They get trained to do it. They like doing it.
You are either very misguided or a complete liar.

I grew up around the men and women you refer to as "worse than rapists" and I can tell you, your blanket statement is a reeking offense.

I do congratulate you on one thing though, I'm so pissed off at some lying asshole on the internet that I can hardly think straight. What a f'n prick you are.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nato Tv Uncle Max International affairs/politics 3 10.04.2008 23:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0