Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.06.2011, 12:47
AmericanGotWorkVisa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 363
Groaned at 51 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 380 Times in 157 Posts
AmericanGotWorkVisa has slipped a little
American Politics To A New Low...in L.A.

Most people on her know I'm America (user name) and also proudly nationalistic, but my country is far from perfect...sigh...




They are rapping in the video:

Give me yo (your) cash, b---h, so I can shoot up the street
Give me yo cash, b---h so I can buy some mo (more) heat (guns)...
Give me yo cash, ho (whore), so we can get out da pin (out of jail)
Give me yo ho so because we (are) back in (jail) again...



A anonymous guy posted this around the net, saying he was not connected with the campaign (yeah right... ).

Last edited by AmericanGotWorkVisa; 19.06.2011 at 12:52. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.06.2011, 12:53
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: American Politics To A New Low...in L.A.

Quote:
View Post
Most people on her know I'm America (user name) and also proudly nationalistic, but my country is far from perfect...sigh...




They are rapping in the video:

Give me yo (your) cash, b---h, so I can shoot up the street
Give me your cash, b---h so I can buy some more heat (guns)...
Give me your cash, ho (whore), so we can get out the pin (jail)
Give me your ho so because we (are) back in (jail) again...



A anonymous guy posted this around the net, saying he was not connected with the campaign (yeah right... ).
Sorry but are you for Janice Hahn or for Turn Right USA, or neither or what?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 19.06.2011, 12:58
AmericanGotWorkVisa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 363
Groaned at 51 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 380 Times in 157 Posts
AmericanGotWorkVisa has slipped a little
Re: American Politics To A New Low...in L.A.

Quote:
View Post
Sorry but are you for Janice Hahn or for Turn Right USA, or neither or what?
I am not associated with the people who made the ad...

I don't know who she is, I don't care about her much as it is local L.A. politics, but I am just for "good taste". I believe they have a right to do this, but that doesn't mean it is "morally right".

I am also not a member of any U.S. political party. I'm an independent.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AmericanGotWorkVisa for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 19.06.2011, 13:12
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,168
Groaned at 290 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 10,930 Times in 4,111 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Politics To A New Low...in L.A.

I don't think the guys in the video are really serious. But what I am trying to figure out is whether this video is just another lame and overly exaggerated attack on an opponent's political campaign or if it really is something more legitimate. I know nothing about Janice Hahn or her campaign, so I'm curious...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.06.2011, 14:27
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,659
Groaned at 383 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,457 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Politics To A New Low...in L.A.

Quote:
View Post
A anonymous guy posted this around the net, saying he was not connected with the campaign (yeah right... ).
Exactly like you just did...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 19.06.2011, 15:02
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Politics To A New Low...in L.A.

Quote:
View Post
I am not associated with the people who made the ad...

I don't know who she is, I don't care about her much as it is local L.A. politics, but I am just for "good taste". I believe they have a right to do this, but that doesn't mean it is "morally right".

I am also not a member of any U.S. political party. I'm an independent.

I'm confused, you believe who has the right to do what?

The makers of the video to make the video?

Or (I think I'm understanding the situation correctly) the right of public servants (politicians and law enforcement) to enlist the aid through financial means and / or favors of gang members (generally either known or assumed to be criminals) to make changes in the level of criminal activity within the gang scene?


I'm looking for the news stories but I recall that some of the "Gang Units" in the southern California cities were brought under fire (LAPD specifically if I remember right) for using inappropriate means to quell gang activity. Excessive force, corruption and things of that nature were the accusations, the claims that the LAPD Gang Unit was on the level of a gang itself.

So, between the "political ad" which (again, if I understood correctly) says that the politician in question was somehow collaborating with gang members and the old (10+ years old, maybe closer to 20?) allegations regarding LAPD, it leaves me wondering what people think is the best way to try to fight gang activity. Personally, I think it is a tough and nasty question that has absolutely no quick fix while "the public" clamors for signs of perceptible results.

Of course, all the while the vast majority of the public being unwilling to take the steps to help the issue at it's root: (un)employment, (low) wages and (poor) education. The measures needed to fix these issues means the public at large has to dish out more somehow, whether through active participation in direct assistance, higher taxes to fund public efforts as well as higher costs for goods and services so that wages can be increased.

Alas, no one wants to pay more for anything (all you have to do is read threads here about how much everything costs and the recommendations to shop online or across the boarders), even knowing it means a better life for those who benefit from those higher costs. No one wants to pay more taxes. No one wants to take those jobs which allow for direct assistance (social work and such) because the wages are low.

So, again, there really doesn't seem to be any good answer for this problem, at least not an immediate one with quickly perceivable results. The quick and dirty is effective but of course, that is an unappetizing solution to many, so you end up with (deserved) public outcry, such as the likes of that video even while the public themselves are restricting the available options.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19.06.2011, 15:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,894
Groaned at 97 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 921 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Politics To A New Low...in L.A.

hahaha I thought it was funny haha . Is this actually being shown on tv?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19.06.2011, 16:00
AmericanGotWorkVisa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 363
Groaned at 51 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 380 Times in 157 Posts
AmericanGotWorkVisa has slipped a little
Re: American Politics To A New Low...in L.A.

Quote:
View Post
Exactly like you just did...
I was referring to the people who originally created the video, since then it has gone "viral" so thousands of people have spread it online (including me)...not exactly the same thing as I don't have a production studio in my apartment.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19.06.2011, 16:05
AmericanGotWorkVisa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 363
Groaned at 51 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 380 Times in 157 Posts
AmericanGotWorkVisa has slipped a little
Re: American Politics To A New Low...in L.A.

Quote:
View Post
I'm confused, you believe who has the right to do what?

The makers of the video to make the video?

Or (I think I'm understanding the situation correctly) the right of public servants (politicians and law enforcement) to enlist the aid through financial means and / or favors of gang members (generally either known or assumed to be criminals) to make changes in the level of criminal activity within the gang scene?


I'm looking for the news stories but I recall that some of the "Gang Units" in the southern California cities were brought under fire (LAPD specifically if I remember right) for using inappropriate means to quell gang activity. Excessive force, corruption and things of that nature were the accusations, the claims that the LAPD Gang Unit was on the level of a gang itself.

So, between the "political ad" which (again, if I understood correctly) says that the politician in question was somehow collaborating with gang members and the old (10+ years old, maybe closer to 20?) allegations regarding LAPD, it leaves me wondering what people think is the best way to try to fight gang activity. Personally, I think it is a tough and nasty question that has absolutely no quick fix while "the public" clamors for signs of perceptible results.

Of course, all the while the vast majority of the public being unwilling to take the steps to help the issue at it's root: (un)employment, (low) wages and (poor) education. The measures needed to fix these issues means the public at large has to dish out more somehow, whether through active participation in direct assistance, higher taxes to fund public efforts as well as higher costs for goods and services so that wages can be increased.

Alas, no one wants to pay more for anything (all you have to do is read threads here about how much everything costs and the recommendations to shop online or across the boarders), even knowing it means a better life for those who benefit from those higher costs. No one wants to pay more taxes. No one wants to take those jobs which allow for direct assistance (social work and such) because the wages are low.

So, again, there really doesn't seem to be any good answer for this problem, at least not an immediate one with quickly perceivable results. The quick and dirty is effective but of course, that is an unappetizing solution to many, so you end up with (deserved) public outcry, such as the likes of that video even while the public themselves are restricting the available options.
I was referring to the right of the people to make the video and put it in the public domain, although I find it in bad taste, sexist, and borderline racist. All that said, I still found it somewhat amusing.
As for L.A. and the general Cali gang problem, people have been saying the same stuff since the 1970's, gang wars peaked in the mid-late 80's because of the "crack wars' crime has trailed off a bit since then, not because of anything any politicians did, I think, but because the gangs consolidated their drug selling territory (war has a way of doing that sort of thing)...we have over 2 million folks in the jail and prison system though...a good percentage if not near a majority for drug-related crimes.

The answer to the gang problem, to me, is what you said, plus legalizing drugs. Gangs can't compete with the economy of scale of the major drug companies and drug stores, nor the purity. Much of the fighting related to drugs (including murders) would stop. over time they might drift into something else illegal, but as lucrative? As big a draw? Doubt it.

As far as this specific woman politician, as I said, I don't know anything about her. The video caught my eye because some folks were talking about it in the national media.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi-de-Hi to Low-de-Low (Pontins in Administration) Deep Purple International affairs/politics 11 28.01.2011 19:34
Absolutely disgusted with American politics and the state of living here.... M Rader Daily life 354 25.01.2011 15:57
American politics Grrrrrrrrr! Guest Complaints corner 144 07.09.2009 18:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0