Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 06.07.2011, 17:31
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
you think NoW readers really care about real news?
Maybe not, but at a guess they DO care about victims and and victims' families.They may default to the lowest common denominator, but most probably have a pretty well-aligned moral compass and hate to see any establishment body, be it government or the press, do the dirty on the little guy.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #102  
Old 06.07.2011, 18:08
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
So is The Times
Speaking of which, interesting opinion piece in the Torygraph on the Times' reporting of the whole sordid affair (I love that expression).

Then again, remember, it IS written by a journalist.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 06.07.2011, 21:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
No, please answer one short answer before stopping: As a freelance photographer, would you turn down a request from CS based on this? Or FIFA? Or...
Fortunately, my area of photography rarely takes me anywhere near the banks
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 07.07.2011, 09:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

I'm afraid this just gets worse and worse. Practically every tragedy story going has now been hacked.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...-dead-soldiers

How can Brooks or Murdoch argue that this was not standard practice now?
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 07.07.2011, 09:21
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,024
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
I'm afraid this just gets worse and worse. Practically every tragedy story going has now been hacked.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...-dead-soldiers

How can Brooks or Murdoch argue that this was not standard practice now?

I just saw that headline on the Guardian site too. My first reaction was thinking "f§Ücking scumbags". Clearly these are individuals or an organisation that lets no moral compunction impede the progress to a "great story".
On the other hand, some people obviously are willing to buy it or the NotW wouldn't be so keen to get it.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 07.07.2011, 09:36
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Apparently the PI involved, Glenn something or other, has over 9200 pages of hacking and voicemail info on various people, including families of Afghanistan and Iraq war dead and possibly tsunami victims. That's just sick.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 07.07.2011, 09:52
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
Apparently the PI involved, Glenn something or other, has over 9200 pages of hacking and voicemail info on various people, including families of Afghanistan and Iraq war dead and possibly tsunami victims. That's just sick.

do you recon other paper don't do the same thing? journo's move around from paper to paper and obviously talk to each other so it must have been pretty well known, I don't imagine for one second the mirror (for example) would let NoW have this advantage by themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 07.07.2011, 09:52
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
Apparently the PI involved, Glenn something or other, has over 9200 pages of hacking and voicemail info on various people, including families of Afghanistan and Iraq war dead and possibly tsunami victims. That's just sick.
Its also sick to employ him whilst puporting to be on the side of the killed and wounded (good morning all)
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:05
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
do you recon other paper don't do the same thing? journo's move around from paper to paper and obviously talk to each other so it must have been pretty well known, I don't imagine for one second the mirror (for example) would let NoW have this advantage by themselves.
I'm sure you're right. Journos rank somewhere up there with politicians and lawyers on perceived trustworthiness. I'm sure once this piece of work, Glenn Mulcaire, is interviewed by the Met, an awful lof of journos will be getting pretty nervous.
I read a great quote yestreday along the lines of "only journalists could walk upright under the belly of a cockroach" or something like that.
What also seems to be worrying is that the Met have been sat on a lof of this evidence for years and done squat about it.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:08
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
I'm sure you're right. Journos rank somewhere up there with politicians and lawyers on perceived trustworthiness. I'm sure once this piece of work, Glenn Mulcaire, is interviewed by the Met, an awful lof of journos will be getting pretty nervous.
I read a great quote yestreday along the lines of "only journalists could walk upright under the belly of a cockroach" or something like that.
What also seems to be worrying is that the Met have been sat on a lof of this evidence for years and done squat about it.
Maybe theres more to it. Don`t the police have the capacity to tap mobile phone calls?
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
Maybe theres more to it. Don`t the police have the capacity to tap mobile phone calls?
And then possibly sell the information to the News of the World
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:19
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
And then possibly sell the information to the News of the World
and then slow down any "inquiry"
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
and then slow down any "inquiry"
Yes! Five years is a trifle slow....even for Mr. Plod.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:34
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Matt in yesterday's Telegraph:
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #115  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
I just saw that headline on the Guardian site too. My first reaction was thinking "f§Ücking scumbags". Clearly these are individuals or an organisation that lets no moral compunction impede the progress to a "great story".
On the other hand, some people obviously are willing to buy it or the NotW wouldn't be so keen to get it.
I think people are definitely willing to buy tittle tattle, or 'insight' into tragic events, but i'd hope that even they would draw a line, when they find out the source of the information is hacking dead people's phones.

It is interesting that the NotW had positioned itself as the unofficial official paper of our boys serving abroad. Maybe it is easier to find the numbers of subscribers to the paper to hack, to use later if they get blown up.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:46
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
I think people are definitely willing to buy tittle tattle, or 'insight' into tragic events, but i'd hope that even they would draw a line, when they find out the source of the information is hacking dead people's phones.

It is interesting that the NotW had positioned itself as the unofficial official paper of our boys serving abroad. Maybe it is easier to find the numbers of subscribers to the paper to hack, to use later if they get blown up.
I wonder what they hope to find out that they can use unless its to drag up dirt about one of those casualties in his private life?
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:51
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,935 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
I wonder what they hope to find out that they can use unless its to drag up dirt about one of those casualties in his private life?
A source close to Private Smith told us
- his girlfriend is pregnant and had just/was just about to tell him.
- he had just proposed.
- any other shite that they can use to pull on the heartstrings and pursestrings of their readers.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

I'm sure it would be more along the lines of their agenda, so to substantiate a story like:

"Corporal Tom Smith was today killed by an IED in Helmand. Muslim soldiers are believed to have planted this device.

Ironically, Tom Smith was a supporter of integration in his mixed community. He had volunteered down at the homeless shelter, where he served disadvantaged locals, which INCLUDED MUSLIMS.

This just goes to show, that all Muslims are bad, and we should send them all back. Even if they were born here, that's no excuse, they haven't integrated, so let them go and live in Tehran / Kabul and see if they dislike the UK then. Wrong God believing B*stards."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #119  
Old 07.07.2011, 11:02
Jimmy Bee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 676
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 383 Times in 211 Posts
Jimmy Bee has earned the respect of manyJimmy Bee has earned the respect of manyJimmy Bee has earned the respect of many
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
Ironically, Tom Smith was a supporter of integration in his mixed community. He had volunteered down at the homeless shelter, where he served disadvantaged locals, which INCLUDED MUSLIMS.
Sorry but I don't see that as ironic. But the newspaper probably did...
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 07.07.2011, 11:03
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,935 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: News of the world phone hacking - Milly Dowler

Quote:
View Post
Sorry but I don't see that as ironic
Indeed. It was an excellent example of NoTW journalism.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Computer Hacking a Big Problem in CH? AussieNanny TV/internet/telephone 24 13.04.2011 15:05
Hacking the SVA calculator RobFish3 Finance/banking/taxation 3 09.06.2009 19:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0