Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.07.2011, 19:32
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,024
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Reasons for inconvenient scepticism? Al Gore returns with more

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...climate-change

Is he after another Nobel Prize?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Louis Wu for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 12.07.2011, 19:44
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reasons for inconvenient scepticism? Al Gore returns with more

What have you done for science, technology, and humanity lately?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12.07.2011, 19:48
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,024
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reasons for inconvenient scepticism? Al Gore returns with more

Quote:
View Post
What have you done for science, technology, and humanity lately?

One might ask the same of you or any other member of the EF for that matter. In any event, the subject of the thread is Mr Al Gore and his chosen apparently specialised subject, not me.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Louis Wu for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 12.07.2011, 19:56
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reasons for inconvenient scepticism? Al Gore returns with more

Quote:
View Post
One might ask the same of you or any other member of the EF for that matter. In any event, the subject of the thread is Mr Al Gore and his chosen apparently specialised subject, not me.
His specialty was being a politician. What's your point exactly?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12.07.2011, 20:03
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reasons for inconvenient scepticism? Al Gore returns with more

Quote:
View Post
I don't think he's chasing fame, I think he really believes in the problem of climate change. Unfortunately, few will listen until it's too late and people start dying of thirst and hunger and major weather events. I wish it weren't all so political as it really would be a good thing to think about what the future will be like in the event that these extreme weather events become more frequent and more severe (it's possible Russia's grain crop will be scorched again this year).

I often wonder what kind of world my daughter will be living in when she's 40 and I try not to worry that food scarcity and drought will make life much harder for her.

This wunderground blog, http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...?entrynum=1831 , has a rather impressive list of events recently, some I didn't even know about.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 12.07.2011, 20:07
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,024
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reasons for inconvenient scepticism? Al Gore returns with more

Quote:
View Post
His specialty was being a politician. What's your point exactly?

Sorry if my previous reply sounded a little antagonistic, it wasn't intended to be in a personal way. My point was that I find it interesting that a person whose speciality is being a politician suddenly rediscovers himself in some sort of messiah or John the Baptist role, proclaiming the coming of destruction for all. It's rather like Bono appointing himself as spokesman for the poor and needy of the world, I don't mind some of U2's music but I can't stand Bono, I wish he'd stick to what he's supposed to be good at meaning being a succesful popstar doesn't necessarily qualify you to speak about international finance or world poverty problems*. Back on Al Gore, given the round kicking that some of the evidence in his previous film suffered you have to admire his stamina in coming back for more.
More indirectly, I find the topic interesting enough to warrant some debate - although I do also recognise that the topic has been done to death several times already and it's quite possible that the EF has heard enough of it already.
Cheers

* I do of course realise that being a public figure such as Bono does provide a grandstand opportunity
__________________
Mens sana in campari soda
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Louis Wu for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 13.07.2011, 15:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,790
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,695 Times in 11,392 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reasons for inconvenient scepticism? Al Gore returns with more

Quote:
View Post
Sorry if my previous reply sounded a little antagonistic, it wasn't intended to be in a personal way. My point was that I find it interesting that a person whose speciality is being a politician suddenly rediscovers himself in some sort of messiah or John the Baptist role, proclaiming the coming of destruction for all. It's rather like Bono appointing himself as spokesman for the poor and needy of the world, I don't mind some of U2's music but I can't stand Bono, I wish he'd stick to what he's supposed to be good at meaning being a succesful popstar doesn't necessarily qualify you to speak about international finance or world poverty problems*. Back on Al Gore, given the round kicking that some of the evidence in his previous film suffered you have to admire his stamina in coming back for more.
More indirectly, I find the topic interesting enough to warrant some debate - although I do also recognise that the topic has been done to death several times already and it's quite possible that the EF has heard enough of it already.
Cheers

* I do of course realise that being a public figure such as Bono does provide a grandstand opportunity

Of course he is altruistic.
Plus please note this quote from several newspapers in 2009;
"Al Gore, the former US vice president, could become the world's first carbon billionaire after investing heavily in green energy companies."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.07.2011, 15:12
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reasons for inconvenient scepticism? Al Gore returns with more

Quote:
View Post
Of course he is altruistic.
Plus please note this quote from several newspapers in 2009;
"Al Gore, the former US vice president, could become the world's first carbon billionaire after investing heavily in green energy companies."
That would be the Ethanol industry with their massive tax rebates
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.07.2011, 15:21
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,024
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reasons for inconvenient scepticism? Al Gore returns with more

Quote:
View Post
That would be the Ethanol industry with their massive tax rebates
Possibly. On a similar note - not Ethanol though, let's not mention how Biofuels might be a massive dead end anyway given how large areas of food capable growing land is now devoted to growing crops for biofuels. Apart from rumours about Russian soldiers in World War II I'm unaware of anyone actually quenching their thirst by drinking fuel.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open Mic returns jack-o-bean Social events 0 02.04.2011 10:02
Karaoke night returns ktoneill Commercial events 0 23.03.2011 16:58
Karaoke night returns ktoneill Commercial events 0 10.01.2011 11:55
An Inconvenient Truth - us ruining our planet Lob Transportation/driving 26 17.10.2006 22:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0