Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
View Poll Results: Why are these riots happening (vote for the closest to your beliefs)
The Duggan shooting is the primary cause of the riots 4 4.12%
The riots are caused because of social injustice 9 9.28%
The riots are caused because of too much "justice"/benefits etc 5 5.15%
The riots are spontaneous/opportunistic, just criminals seeing an opportunity. 75 77.32%
The riots are caused by too much immigration 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #321  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
I think that there should be a teen curfew, anyone of school age.
But this government has failed, p!$$ing in the updraught. I think that they should resign and give it over to the Miliband Brothers- they will sort it out.
I think it hypocrtical that those who have left have this holier-than-thou attitude, ashamed to be associated with Old Blighty. I just heard a reporter who said Why Ealing? Perhaps the rioters got wise to not wrecking their own neighborhoods. The social divide between rich and poor is disgusting, I am ashamed, but not of the rioters. Its amazing to me the double standard of people on this forum they are all for rioting in the Middle East against social injustice, but not in the UK. I am ashamed that this is such an uncaring society, I would never have voted for this government.
I'm sure the Middle Eastern protesters (hint, not rioters) would be delighted to have the opportunity to live in a land where they were freely able to loot plasma TVs on every corner. They don't. They are attempting to gain civil rights, not the contents of a corner of Currys.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #322  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:39
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
I think that there should be a teen curfew, anyone of school age.
But this government has failed, p!$$ing in the updraught. I think that they should resign and give it over to the Miliband Brothers- they will sort it out.
I think it hypocrtical that those who have left have this holier-than-thou attitude, ashamed to be associated with Old Blighty. I just heard a reporter who said Why Ealing? Perhaps the rioters got wise to not wrecking their own neighborhoods. The social divide between rich and poor is disgusting, I am ashamed, but not of the rioters. Its amazing to me the double standard of people on this forum they are all for rioting in the Middle East against social injustice, but not in the UK. I am ashamed that this is such an uncaring society, I would never have voted for this government.
  #323  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

I've checked here, and there's no sign of rioting so far - a car went past, but it wasn't on fire, turned out it was just driving along. Fresh mackerel for dinner tonight.
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #324  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:44
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
I've checked here, and there's no sign of rioting so far - a car went past, but it wasn't on fire, turned out it was just driving along. Fresh mackerel for dinner tonight.
Ohh youre lucky, we had three blokes on the street corner not less than one hour ago
  #325  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:48
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
I've checked here, and there's no sign of rioting so far - a car went past, but it wasn't on fire, turned out it was just driving along. Fresh mackerel for dinner tonight.

Glasgow teenager held over Facebook 'riot incitement'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-14461393


Glasgow is ashamed that it's in a better state than London and wants to right that wrong.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #326  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:48
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
Ohh youre lucky, we had three blokes on the street corner not less than one hour ago
Were they Middle Eastern?

Last edited by porsch1909; 09.08.2011 at 18:03.
  #327  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:48
pigeonsbay's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 106 Times in 53 Posts
pigeonsbay is considered knowledgeablepigeonsbay is considered knowledgeablepigeonsbay is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Aight as got me Basmati innit bruv!!!


  #328  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:50
colinwheeler's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gersau
Posts: 998
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 872 Times in 440 Posts
colinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
They need a good beating and realise that if they behave like that there is a consequence.
Yes, if you backtrack through my posts on this one, nowhere did I suggest that a good beating should not be part of the engagement model.
Violence may not be the solution but it may somethimes form a very useful part of the process.
  #329  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:56
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
Where they Middle Eastern?
yep im sure they were from Fribourg. What does that mean ???
This user would like to thank grumpygit for this useful post:
  #330  
Old 09.08.2011, 17:58
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
Erm excuse me, is this the result of one year of coalition govt or 11 years of labour govt. Are you so naive to believe this is a political problem caused by the reintroduction of austerity to compensate for the mass overspending of labour or are you hijacking this thread to introduce a political view into what is a social problem?
Eleven years and no riots like this.

Austerity measures in conservative terms means more for the rich less for the poor. I paid tax never drew social benefits. No-one I met who was on social benefits was proud of it, they wanted jobs and a decent place to live, not a bedsit for parents and 3 kids or one room at their parent's.

The following- all during Conservative government years.

Brixton riots may refer to:
1981 Brixton riot 11 April 1981
1985 Brixton riot 28 September 1985
1995 Brixton riot 13 December 1995
2011 Brixton riot 7 August 2011; see 2011 London riots
The following 3 users groan at for this post:
  #331  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:00
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
Eleven years and no riots like this.

Austerity measures in conservative terms means more for the rich less for the poor. I paid tax never drew social benefits. No-one I met who was on social benefits was proud of it, they wanted jobs and a decent place to live, not a bedsit for parents and 3 kids or one room at their parent's.

The following- all during Conservative government years.

Brixton riots may refer to:
1981 Brixton riot – 11 April 1981
1985 Brixton riot – 28 September 1985
1995 Brixton riot – 13 December 1995
2011 Brixton riot – 7 August 2011; see 2011 London riots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham_riots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harehills_riots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_riots
  #332  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:02
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
Where they Middle Eastern?
Where they Middle-Eastern?

Well don't take your clues from here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_816540.html

But it's beyond Greece (a bit) and to the left of Southern Russia. I hope that helps.
  #333  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:06
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
Eleven years and no riots like this.

Austerity measures in conservative terms means more for the rich less for the poor. I paid tax never drew social benefits. No-one I met who was on social benefits was proud of it, they wanted jobs and a decent place to live, not a bedsit for parents and 3 kids or one room at their parent's.

The following- all during Conservative government years.

Brixton riots may refer to:
1981 Brixton riot 11 April 1981
1985 Brixton riot 28 September 1985
1995 Brixton riot 13 December 1995
2011 Brixton riot 7 August 2011; see 2011 London riots
That Hoppy if you will excuse me is naive. The cost of the bail out shortly before the labour govt left office was so huge that the coalition was obliged to put in place the austerity measures. in fact if you read all of the reports, most advisors told the tories not to win the election becuase of the huge debt labour had left behind " ergo the note in the treasury left to the new officials alluding to the fact that there was no cash left in the box!"
There has been plenty of social unrest in britain, because unlike the USA we cannot print money, and have to bite the bullet, but history has shown that quite frankly we are the only nation up for it again and again, as we shall have to prove in the future whilst all the rest of the theoreticals hide safely at home, but that is just the way of the world. Just know that no real Englishman will ever accept a criticism of his own democracy .
  #334  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:07
Gav's Avatar
Gav Gav is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 966
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Breaking News: Colonel Gaddafi recognizes Rioters as official UK government
The following 8 users would like to thank Gav for this useful post:
  #335  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:09
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
That Hoppy if you will excuse me is naive. The cost of the bail out shortly before the labour govt left office was so huge that the coalition was obliged to put in place the austerity measures. in fact if you read all of the reports, most advisors told the tories not to win the election becuase of the huge debt labour had left behind " ergo the note in the treasury left to the new officials alluding to the fact that there was no cash left in the box!"
There has been plenty of social unrest in britain, because unlike the USA we cannot print money, and have to bite the bullet, but history has shown that quite frankly we are the only nation up for it again and again, as we shall have to prove in the future whilst all the rest of the theoreticals hide safely at home, but that is just the way of the world. Just know that no real Englishman will ever accept a criticism of his own democracy .
Don't feed the troll.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #336  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:09
colinwheeler's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gersau
Posts: 998
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 872 Times in 440 Posts
colinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
Austerity measures in conservative terms means more for the rich less for the poor.

Just put a conservative sign on the one and a labour sign on the other and you will get the principle. Generally called setting it up.

In some cases this is actually a political strategy. A government that knows that it is going out of power will often set up things to ensure that problems occur during the next governments rule. You would be astounded to read some of the strategies that these guys come up with all in the name of being in power.

Quote:
View Post
I paid tax never drew social benefits. No-one I met who was on social benefits was proud of it, they wanted jobs and a decent place to live, not a bedsit for parents and 3 kids or one room at their parent's.
I am going to call you on relevance of this and could also if you like introduce you to loads of folks (mostly outside London), who are very proud to live on the dole.
__________________
Living it up in Gersau.
This user would like to thank colinwheeler for this useful post:
  #337  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
That Hoppy if you will excuse me is naive. The cost of the bail out shortly before the labour govt left office was so huge that the coalition was obliged to put in place the austerity measures. in fact if you read all of the reports, most advisors told the tories not to win the election becuase of the huge debt labour had left behind " ergo the note in the treasury left to the new officials alluding to the fact that there was no cash left in the box!"
There has been plenty of social unrest in britain, because unlike the USA we cannot print money, and have to bite the bullet, but history has shown that quite frankly we are the only nation up for it again and again, as we shall have to prove in the future whilst all the rest of the theoreticals hide safely at home, but that is just the way of the world. Just know that no real Englishman will ever accept a criticism of his own democracy .
What's 'quantitive easing' then?
  #338  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:13
colinwheeler's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gersau
Posts: 998
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 872 Times in 440 Posts
colinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond reputecolinwheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
Just know that no real Englishman will ever accept a criticism of his own democracy.
I will stake my claim as a real Englishman, culturally and one that has sworn an oath of allegence and I tell you right now that if those folks in the UK, both government and chavs represent the electorate, screw that democracy for a shite idea!!!
  #339  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:17
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Quote:
View Post
I will stake my claim as a real Englishman, culturally and one that has sworn an oath of allegence and I tell you right now that if those folks in the UK, both government and chavs represent the electorate, screw that democracy for a shite idea!!!
Colin, calm down, firstly im not sure thats how you spell allegience but secondly , if you dont respect your national identity, then learn another language mate, because the futures not bright. You cannot espouse solutions to social problems whilst at the same time abandoning all hope(unless you had a good lunch) but at the end of the day, the English/British have a very firm identity and it will always be so.
  #340  
Old 09.08.2011, 18:19
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Tottenham Riots....

Fristly, the tensions have always been there, but the Labour government handled them, these in no way compare to the riots of Brixton. This in 1981 alone

1981 - Brixton riot of 1981, (London, England)
1981 - 1981 Irish hunger strike (Northern Ireland in May, July, August 1981)
1981 - Toxteth riots (Liverpool, England)
1981 - Moss Side riots (Manchester, England)
1981 - Chapeltown riot Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
1981 - First Handsworth Riot, (Birmingham, England)

Secondly, at least two of the riots that you list have been mainly stirred up by the BNP and racism. The present rioting may may have been sparked by racial tensions and discriminatory stop and search practices, but most young unemployed are sick of being treated as untermensch, Chavs, all the things that many of you love to call them on this forum. Some of you, I bet, are those that have climbed out of the ghettos and want to dissociate yourselves from that which you left behind, you have climbed the ladder and shaken off the shame of poverty. Well Done! Now you can lord it over those left behind. Others just want to find a whipping boy for their losses on the Stock market. There is greed in all of us- those at the bottom are no less guilty of it than those at the top and may have fiddled their taxes and so stolen more in worth, than just an LCD TV or a bag of rice.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tunisia uprising/riots Pashosh International affairs/politics 30 02.11.2011 23:12
Tottenham-Inter in Lucerne tonight CS_owns_Zurich_n_me Entertainment & dining 8 02.11.2010 23:51
Tottenham play with Young Boys Mikeybroomers Football/sports 35 26.08.2010 14:22
Young Boys v Tottenham travel Sherer4 Travel/day trips/free time 0 12.08.2010 16:55
Greek Riots 2008 - Agent Provocateur Cops Caught Red Handed jrspet International affairs/politics 3 05.01.2009 23:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0