Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.08.2011, 07:39
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,159
Groaned at 310 Times in 266 Posts
Thanked 23,433 Times in 9,531 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Theocracy anyone?

Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry's links to Christian Dominionism.

I can't imagine much that would be worse than living under a Christian theocracy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.08.2011, 08:10
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,210
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,252 Times in 847 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Theocracy anyone?

We should put them on a plane to Kandahar and let all fundamentalists slap each other to exhaustion.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Caleb for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 16.08.2011, 08:44
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Theocracy anyone?

Well, if it's any comfort, the US would sooner vote for a black man than a woman for the office of President. So, Bachmann and Palin are both crazier than crazy, but there is the saving grace that the folks they appeal to would never vote for someone without the all-important twig and berries under the hood. As for Perry? Nah.

I'm thinking Romney will get the nomination. He used to live down the street from me in the US - Mormons are a bit unusual, but they seem to be nice folks without the sturm und drang of the fundies.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.08.2011, 09:50
ch-expat
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Theocracy anyone?

Probably Bachmann or Perry would be similar to GW Bush in terms of references to religion but not more. They will tone down their rhetoric and references to their faith and it is already happening. Perry is a formidable politician that will say anything and its opposite and without a teleprompter.
Obama did his bus tour and his speeches were shockingly uninspirational and dull. He even argued with a tea partier really clumsily. We are far from the "yes we can". I sometimes wonder if Pres. Obama is deeply depressed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.08.2011, 10:04
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Theocracy anyone?

Quote:
View Post
Well, if it's any comfort, the US would sooner vote for a black man than a woman for the office of President. So, Bachmann and Palin are both crazier than crazy, but there is the saving grace that the folks they appeal to would never vote for someone without the all-important twig and berries under the hood. As for Perry? Nah.

I'm thinking Romney will get the nomination. He used to live down the street from me in the US - Mormons are a bit unusual, but they seem to be nice folks without the sturm und drang of the fundies.
If this is the lineup - Mormon, Batshit, and Crazy - then Obama is a shoe in.

I'm still holding my breath for a viable 3rd candidate because I do not want to vote for Obama, but I'd sooner burn in the eternal fires of hell than vote Republican.

Quote:
View Post
Probably Bachmann or Perry would be similar to GW Bush in terms of references to religion but not more. They will tone down their rhetoric and references to their faith and it is already happening. Perry is a formidable politician that will say anything and its opposite and without a teleprompter.
Obama did his bus tour and his speeches were shockingly uninspirational and dull. He even argued with a tea partier really clumsily. We are far from the "yes we can". I sometimes wonder if Pres. Obama is deeply depressed.
I disagree. I think Romney would be the sanest, and least theocratic choice. Go to YouTube and look for Bachman's interview from Sunday on Meet The Press... or maybe it's on the NBC website.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.08.2011, 10:18
ch-expat
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Theocracy anyone?

Quote:
View Post
I disagree. I think Romney would be the sanest, and least theocratic choice. Go to YouTube and look for Bachman's interview from Sunday on Meet The Press... or maybe it's on the NBC website.
But they went with the sane old guys repeatedly (Dole, McCain) and it did not work. They will go for the crazy people this time and it won't be Romney.
Romney and his millions don't connect with Americans. He laughs at his own jokes that fall flat anyway. It is a lost cause. + he did not leave Massachusets in very good order and there is plenty of interesting thinks to debate about his tenure.
I say Perry or Bachmann as a good guess.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.08.2011, 10:22
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Theocracy anyone?

Quote:
View Post
But they went with the sane old guys repeatedly (Dole, McCain) and it did not work. They will go for the crazy people this time and it won't be Romney.
Romney and his millions don't connect with Americans. He laughs at his own jokes that fall flat anyway. It is a lost cause. + he did not leave Massachusets in very good order and there is plenty of interesting thinks to debate about his tenure.
I say Perry or Bachmann as a good guess.
Bachmann is too closely tied to the Teabagger Party. I'd like to believe that American voters are smart enough to figure out the damage they have caused.

But then I'm also remembering how the "smart" American voters re-elected Bush....

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.08.2011, 10:25
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,415
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Theocracy anyone?

Meh.

1) It's primary season. (Or will be. In another six months.) Once any of these characters is nominated I expect to hear a lot less dog-whistle rhetoric out of them.
2) Links, even longstanding and well-documented links, to dodgy movements aren't necessarily the problem everyone hopes/fears them to be. Remember Jeremiah Wright? Lots of connections, went back years, all turned out to be pretty irrelevant both to Obama's electability and to his governance.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 16.08.2011, 11:14
ch-expat
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Theocracy anyone?

Quote:
View Post
Bachmann is too closely tied to the Teabagger Party. I'd like to believe that American voters are smart enough to figure out the damage they have caused.

But then I'm also remembering how the "smart" American voters re-elected Bush....

Bachmann is changing her tune and avoiding the embarrassing questions (will you obey your husband as a President as you say a wife should do?). She danced around the question on meet the press and instead looked very presidentiable.
Same for Perry in his boots and big hair, shaking hands and assuring that medicare will be strong and available for future generations. Very slick.
Only Obama looked exasperated and made dull canned teleprompter speeches.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Golf anyone? dannyt986 Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 31 06.11.2011 19:17
Zotrim anyone? Nil Food and drink 24 10.07.2010 09:56
Coffee anyone? EriSwiss Daily life 7 03.01.2010 17:43
Van Gogh in Basel - Has anyone been / does anyone want to go? Idgie Travel/day trips/free time 17 13.06.2009 16:31
Snow anyone? cunnyfunt Daily life 31 24.10.2007 09:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0