Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.08.2011, 20:14
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Earthquake near NYC

News coming in about an earthquake near Washington DC.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23...d-c/?hpt=hp_t2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_934244.html

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...sc0005ild.html

Hope your friends & family are safe and sound.

Quote:
An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.8 struck near Washington, D.C., the U.S.Geological Survey said.
The epicenter was in Virginia.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TheWolverine for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 23.08.2011, 20:29
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...gton-dc-area/1

No reports of any damage so far.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23.08.2011, 20:38
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

First FB get's flooded with Jack Layton's Death, now I'm hearing earthquake updates......apparently things are shaking back in Ontario (no pun intended)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.08.2011, 20:42
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Earthquake near NYC

I never felt anything in Montreal.

5.8 is nothing though
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.08.2011, 21:07
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Yep, that was a dud.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.08.2011, 21:13
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Earthquake Rocks East Coast of United States

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/us...ke.html?ref=us


Oops, just realized that this is a duplicate thread...not sure how to remove though!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.08.2011, 21:15
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: Earthquake near NYC

I'm currently in Baltimore, and the earthquake was very, very strong. All of the walls and windows were shaking, it sounded like a train was rattling the entire house. Scary! Apparently, they evacuated the capital (30 miles south of here).
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank tearley for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 23.08.2011, 21:43
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Quote:
View Post
I'm currently in Baltimore, and the earthquake was very, very strong. All of the walls and windows were shaking, it sounded like a train was rattling the entire house. Scary! Apparently, they evacuated the capital (30 miles south of here).
They evacuated the whole of Washington dc because of a 5.8?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.08.2011, 21:54
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake Rocks East Coast of United States

Quote:
View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/us...ke.html?ref=us


Oops, just realized that this is a duplicate thread...not sure how to remove though!
Informed the mods. Should be merged with the other thread.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.08.2011, 21:59
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Quote:
View Post
They evacuated the whole of Washington dc because of a 5.8?
Makes me curious (although not curious enough to look it up... yet) about how often earthquakes hit that area. I mean, with the mountain ranges along the eastern States, it's obvious there were some massive ones at some point but in the last few million years, not so much?

So, I'll hazard to guess that perhaps the evacuations are because all those historical buildings are probably not so up on safety codes for earthquake hazard. Or maybe they are. I dunno.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 23.08.2011, 22:05
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Quote:
View Post
Makes me curious (although not curious enough to look it up... yet) about how often earthquakes hit that area. I mean, with the mountain ranges along the eastern States, it's obvious there were some massive ones at some point but in the last few million years, not so much?

So, I'll hazard to guess that perhaps the evacuations are because all those historical buildings are probably not so up on safety codes for earthquake hazard. Or maybe they are. I dunno.
This should help.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23.08.2011, 22:07
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Quote:
View Post
I'm currently in Baltimore, and the earthquake was very, very strong. All of the walls and windows were shaking, it sounded like a train was rattling the entire house. Scary! Apparently, they evacuated the capital (30 miles south of here).
The depth was only 1km which is why it was so strong. There was a rather strong earthquake in CO last night, too, which makes me wonder if the New Madrid in southern MO is going to go sometime soon. Last time was in 1811-12 with 8.something. When that fault blows, it'll level most of the Mississippi Valley as few buildings in St Louis, Memphis, Chicago or KC are built to code for earthquakes of that magnitude. My dad used to participate in preparedness drills for keeping the lines of radio communications running in the event of that fault going and so I've been waiting, dreading, all my life for it to happen, grim as the drills were.

Glad you're OK. I saw one blurb that 3 spires on the National Cathedral had toppled, is that true?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 23.08.2011, 22:08
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,913
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,404 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Quote:
View Post
First FB get's flooded with Jack Layton's Death, now I'm hearing earthquake updates......apparently things are shaking back in Ontario (no pun intended)
Ontario Rocks
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 23.08.2011, 22:55
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24.08.2011, 01:28
Mud's Avatar
Mud Mud is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Romandie
Posts: 2,551
Groaned at 26 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,004 Times in 1,827 Posts
Mud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Photos are now emerging of the damage. I hope that a committee is assembled quickly to deal with this.



from The Daily What
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank Mud for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 24.08.2011, 04:59
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Quote:
View Post
The depth was only 1km which is why it was so strong. There was a rather strong earthquake in CO last night, too, which makes me wonder if the New Madrid in southern MO is going to go sometime soon. Last time was in 1811-12 with 8.something. When that fault blows, it'll level most of the Mississippi Valley as few buildings in St Louis, Memphis, Chicago or KC are built to code for earthquakes of that magnitude. My dad used to participate in preparedness drills for keeping the lines of radio communications running in the event of that fault going and so I've been waiting, dreading, all my life for it to happen, grim as the drills were.

Glad you're OK. I saw one blurb that 3 spires on the National Cathedral had toppled, is that true?
Thanks for your concern! I have no idea about the national cathedral. I'm completely okay--just gave me bad flashbacks to when I lived in L.A. and was waiting for the big one. You are right about the depth of the quake making it feel much more powerful--it was felt in Quebec and even down in GA. In addition to the depth, apparently geology also plays a role in the seismic propagation: "[On] the East Coast you have this old hard, cold crust that does a lovely job of transmitting the waves," says Lucy Jones, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. "This large of an earthquake …. could definitely have been felt hundreds of miles away."

The reason for evacuating government buildings is that many of them are hundreds of years old (some with a large rotunda, like the capital) and were definitely not built to earthquake code. Honestly, I was more scared with this quake here in the NE than I ever was in L.A. because at least there's earthquake awareness there...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tearley for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 24.08.2011, 05:04
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Quote:
View Post
Makes me curious (although not curious enough to look it up... yet) about how often earthquakes hit that area. I mean, with the mountain ranges along the eastern States, it's obvious there were some massive ones at some point but in the last few million years, not so much?

So, I'll hazard to guess that perhaps the evacuations are because all those historical buildings are probably not so up on safety codes for earthquake hazard. Or maybe they are. I dunno.
It's the strongest earthquake in the area since the 1850s!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 24.08.2011, 05:21
TammieE's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: AG
Posts: 288
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 187 Times in 103 Posts
TammieE is considered knowledgeableTammieE is considered knowledgeableTammieE is considered knowledgeable
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Quote:
View Post
The depth was only 1km which is why it was so strong. There was a rather strong earthquake in CO last night, too, which makes me wonder if the New Madrid in southern MO is going to go sometime soon. Last time was in 1811-12 with 8.something. When that fault blows, it'll level most of the Mississippi Valley as few buildings in St Louis, Memphis, Chicago or KC are built to code for earthquakes of that magnitude. My dad used to participate in preparedness drills for keeping the lines of radio communications running in the event of that fault going and so I've been waiting, dreading, all my life for it to happen, grim as the drills were.

Glad you're OK. I saw one blurb that 3 spires on the National Cathedral had toppled, is that true?
I hope not! We're near St. Louis.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24.08.2011, 07:38
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

Quote:
View Post
I hope not! We're near St. Louis.
I have family there, I hope not either. I think about it every time I visit. I'm always surprised at how few locals even know the fault is there.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 24.08.2011, 09:09
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Earthquake near NYC

a friend of mine in DC actually spilled her martini ( thank gawd there was no ice involved !! )

she will be applying for federal assistance in the morning.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
earthquake, natural disasters, usa, washington dc




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spain - Earthquake seyon International affairs/politics 10 12.05.2011 11:34
Earthquake hits Northern England, near Leeds - 3.7 magnitude jrspet International affairs/politics 6 04.01.2011 00:55
Haiti [earthquake] cannut International affairs/politics 89 16.11.2010 18:18
6.4 Earthquake, Southern Peru Peg A International affairs/politics 1 06.05.2010 11:31
Earthquake - Kent, UK l00p International affairs/politics 0 28.04.2007 11:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0