Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.10.2011, 22:29
Mud's Avatar
Mud Mud is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Romandie
Posts: 2,551
Groaned at 26 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,004 Times in 1,827 Posts
Mud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond repute
Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Baby, mother, grandmother pulled alive from rubble in Turkey

writeup from CNN

Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Mud for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 25.10.2011, 22:57
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Mashallah!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.10.2011, 09:53
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,376
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,706 Times in 3,748 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

To be an A55hole and knock your faith in humanity, Turkey has just sent troops and tanks into Iraq for a bit of armed murder.

..Two sides of the medallion.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at slammer for this post:
  #4  
Old 26.10.2011, 10:29
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
To be an A55hole and knock your faith in humanity, Turkey has just sent troops and tanks into Iraq for a bit of armed murder.

..Two sides of the medallion.
Yes and in one side Kurds are counting their deads in Van and in the other side they are being harassed and physically attacked in Istanbul for the death of 24 soldiers commited by the PKK earlier last week.

Source

So right now / again, it is not a safe place to be in Istanbul if you are a Kurd...

Edit: An other source
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Nil for this post:
  #5  
Old 26.10.2011, 11:00
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,376
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,706 Times in 3,748 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

The tragedy of the Kurds is that they are still suffering from the FIRST World wars politics, when the Ottoman empire was being split by the Etente in 1916 (Sykes-Picot contract, if I remember correctly) Most of the countries down that bit of the rock that we take for granted today are creatures of of WW1s post war politics.
They simply forgot to give the Kurds a country.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
This user groans at slammer for this post:
  #6  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:09
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
The tragedy of the Kurds is that they are still suffering from the FIRST World wars politics, when the Ottoman empire was being split by the Etente in 1916 (Sykes-Picot contract, if I remember correctly) Most of the countries down that bit of the rock that we take for granted today are creatures of of WW1s post war politics.
They simply forgot to give the Kurds a country.

BS at its best. WW1 and the subsequent disintegration of the Ottoman Empire is the main reason of all the troubles in the ME at the moment, including whats happening in Iraq, Syria and Yemen too. More partitioning (i.e. creating more "ethnic" states like Kurdistan, Alevistan, Lazistan) would have created only more troubles.

The British aimed at an even more partitioned ME and wanted to carve up another 10 little states from Turkey, so that they would war with each other forever while West sucked out the riches of the region.

And Nil, you are talking nonsense too. No body is attacking Kurds in Istanbul or elsewhere, you know this quite well that it is the terrorist group PKK that is being targeted, and there are no problems between Turk and Kurd populations. You should know better!
Reply With Quote
This user groans at F16 for this post:
  #7  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:12
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

and WTF? cant we even stop for a while and sympathize and pray for all the people (Kurds and Turks) suffering right now under rubble without inserting irrelevant politics into the discussion? have you lost all human decency, or your hatred completely blinded you?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at F16 for this post:
  #8  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:32
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,376
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,706 Times in 3,748 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
BS at its best. WW1 and the subsequent disintegration of the Ottoman Empire is the main reason of all the troubles in the ME at the moment, including whats happening in Iraq, Syria and Yemen too. More partitioning (i.e. creating more "ethnic" states like Kurdistan, Alevistan, Lazistan) would have created only more troubles.

The British aimed at an even more partitioned ME and wanted to carve up another 10 little states from Turkey, so that they would war with each other forever while West sucked out the riches of the region.

And Nil, you are talking nonsense too. No body is attacking Kurds in Istanbul or elsewhere, you know this quite well that it is the terrorist group PKK that is being targeted, and there are no problems between Turk and Kurd populations. You should know better!
h Hallo? That is just what I said, maybe you should read a bit more with your brain switched on before you groan.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:35
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Woah. That was quick. Two posts in and already...

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:40
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
h Hallo? That is just what I said, maybe you should read a bit more with your brain switched on before you groan.

you kidding, right?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:43
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
you kidding, right?
To be fair, I don't see much difference between...

Quote:
View Post
The tragedy of the Kurds is that they are still suffering from the FIRST World wars politics, when the Ottoman empire was being split by the Etente in 1916 (Sykes-Picot contract, if I remember correctly)...<snip>
and...

Quote:
View Post
WW1 and the subsequent disintegration of the Ottoman Empire is the main reason of all the troubles in the ME at the moment,...<snip>
But hey, don't let that stop you.

Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:51
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
To be fair, I don't see much difference between...



and...



But hey, don't let that stop you.

OK, for you geniuses: He is suggesting that Kurds not being given an independent state is the reason for their suffering (check the last sentence) while I suggested it is a bad idea to partition existing countries in smaller ones and that the newly independent small states would engage in constant warfare

carry on though
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:56
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
And Nil, you are talking nonsense too. No body is attacking Kurds in Istanbul or elsewhere, you know this quite well that it is the terrorist group PKK that is being targeted, and there are no problems between Turk and Kurd populations. You should know better!
Yeah? You should ask my family and their neighbours in Umraniye, Istanbul who are harassing them verbally & physically!

Do I know better, hell yes! You shoulod open your eyes and see the reality. Racism and discrimination against kurds still exist and some people will take any events to push it ahead.

Not only the PKK are bad people in that story, you know?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:57
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

spidey, PLEASE!!!!!

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:57
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
OK, for you geniuses: He is suggesting that Kurds not being given an independent state is the reason for their suffering (check the last sentence) while I suggested it is a bad idea to partition existing countries in smaller ones and that the newly independent small states would engage in constant warfare

carry on though
So I'll guess you are against the creation of Palestine, right?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 26.10.2011, 15:09
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
OK, for you geniuses: He is suggesting that Kurds not being given an independent state is the reason for their suffering (check the last sentence) while I suggested it is a bad idea to partition existing countries in smaller ones and that the newly independent small states would engage in constant warfare

carry on though
I will (carry on) thank you. Let me summarise for you (as a non-genius):

Both: suggested that it is caused by WWI = agreement (yay!)

Slammer: the Kurds were not given their own State and marginalised (fact)

You: Small states are bad idea (=opinion)

So in summary, you agree on the cause, but the other points you made are different and neither support nor are relevant to the origin of the problem (Kurds have no State).

I'm a genius. Thank you. I'll add that to my CV.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 26.10.2011, 15:09
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,376
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,706 Times in 3,748 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

So "genius" tell me where the independent country of Kurdistan is located as I would realy like to know.
The Kurds are in an undefined area in and out of the borders of Turkey, Syria, Armenia, Iraq and Iran.
Now I dont know about you but I would be miffed if the governments of said countries forbade or opressed the use of the word "Kurdistan" and all it contains because some bugger in London forgot that your people existed.
As in "Ah they are all just a bunch of orks"
Grab a history book and take a peek under "K" you may find some answers.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 26.10.2011, 15:15
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
So "genius" tell me where the independent country of Kurdistan is located as I would realy like to know.
The Kurds are in an undefined area in and out of the borders of Turkey, Syria, Armenia, Iraq and Iran.
Now I dont know about you but I would be miffed if the governments of said countries forbade or opressed the use of the word "Kurdistan" and all it contains because some bugger in London forgot that your people existed.
As in "Ah they are all just a bunch of orks"
Grab a history book and take a peek under "K" you may find some answers.
I don't think he is a member of those people... More a member of the biggest majority in the country.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26.10.2011, 15:26
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
I don't think he is a member of those people... More a member of the biggest majority in the country.
Psst Nil, it was a figure of speech... "yours" as in "one's"...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 26.10.2011, 15:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Faith in humanity temporarily restored (Turkey earthquake)

Quote:
View Post
Baby, mother, grandmother pulled alive from rubble in Turkey

writeup from CNN

Mud, lovely lovely story in such a big disaster (both in Turkey and on this thread ).

It doesn't matter what's gone on in the rest of the country, that two week old wee'un, mum and grandmother probably don't give a shiny shite right now. They've been plucked from the jaws of death and will live to tell the tale.

Thanks for the link!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turkey Smoker/Turkey Fryer Gaebigirl Food and drink 17 29.09.2011 17:22
HGV lorry temporarily in Switzerland AndrewD Transportation/driving 1 05.12.2010 10:24
Humanity, nice to have known you. slammer International affairs/politics 95 16.12.2009 18:15
Reinforced faith in humanity... Peg A General off-topic 5 15.12.2009 20:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0