Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 30.11.2011, 13:03
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,485
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,655 Times in 9,928 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
Call me callous, but if a 16-17 year old is capable of committing pre-meditated murder, then they are capable of spending life in prison. Each case must be judged on its merits however, and according to the report, the US is reviewing these cases as we speak. I'd wager a bob or two that the same cannot be said for Somalia.
Possibly. I was just pointing out that it's not only Iran that doesn't follow international law and conventions.

And, nobody got hurt in the embassy either. You cannot say the same for the recent U.K. looting and rioting.

I'm not condoning the embassy protest; just putting it in perspective as other people in the thread seem to be suggesting that we use nuclear weapons against Iran because of this.

Get a grip, people.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 30.11.2011, 13:16
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
seem to be suggesting that we use nuclear weapons against Iran because of this.
Who said that?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 30.11.2011, 13:20
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,485
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,655 Times in 9,928 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
Who said that?
Not on this particular thread, true.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 30.11.2011, 14:02
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,484
Groaned at 134 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 1,685 Times in 770 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
Regardless of the reason(s) for the attack, the Iranian gov't has a responsibility to protect ALL embassies in their country. This is one more example of the current Iranian gov't showing that it has no respect for int'l law.
If you don't, yourself, have respect for International law then you are in no position to expect let alone demand it from others
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 30.11.2011, 14:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 794
Groaned at 118 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 375 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

For those worried about possible injured, I'm pretty sure all embassies in Teheran have "safe rooms" setup to avoid the kind of problems that happened on the 5th of November 1979.

In other news, this is clearly a move by the Revolutionary Guard to strike back at the new sanctions against the Iranian Central Bank. Those "hardline students" were the usual suspects, aka the bassij militiamen. Storming embassies does seem to be a speciality in that area of the world, seeing how the US one in Kabul got hit by Pakistani backed Talibans the other day.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 30.11.2011, 14:41
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,601
Groaned at 570 Times in 483 Posts
Thanked 20,849 Times in 10,952 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
If you don't, yourself, have respect for International law then you are in no position to expect let alone demand it from others
What exactly is your point?

For example, in UK when a policewoman was shot & killed by someone in the Libyan embassy the UK still respected the law & did not enter the embassy.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 30.11.2011, 16:28
Black's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 50 Times in 10 Posts
Black is considered knowledgeableBlack is considered knowledgeableBlack is considered knowledgeable
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
What exactly is your point?

For example, in UK when a policewoman was shot & killed by someone in the Libyan embassy the UK still respected the law & did not enter the embassy.
You are correct we are not reactionary instead we make cold calculated moves like bombing the hell out of Libya and only follow rules that suit us. Doing dirty things for national interest is one thing but then acting morally superior as well won't cut with me.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 30.11.2011, 16:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,601
Groaned at 570 Times in 483 Posts
Thanked 20,849 Times in 10,952 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
You are correct we are not reactionary instead we make cold calculated moves like bombing the hell out of Libya and only follow rules that suit us. Doing dirty things for national interest is one thing but then acting morally superior as well won't cut with me.

Troll!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 30.11.2011, 16:36
Black's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 50 Times in 10 Posts
Black is considered knowledgeableBlack is considered knowledgeableBlack is considered knowledgeable
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
Troll!
Very weak!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 30.11.2011, 16:45
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 642
Groaned at 219 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,024 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
I woldn´t worry too much about it Slammer spent six weeks in Tehran and demonstrating outside the British embassy was just a fun way to spend the Friday (Islamic Sunday) afternoon.
People would chant the usual stuff: "Death to England, death to the queen" etc. Vendors would sell kebabs. children would have fun and I found it to be just a way for people to let off steam.
I did not feel threatened and was even invited for a shake of fist and a vigorous chant "Tass Kaff, tass kaff" (You need to be a fan of Brösels Werner to understand that).
No harm and afterwards the crowd would wave green flags and march through Tehran, I would go into the embassy, show my passport, pay a few dollars for a coupon and check them in at the bar. There was also a good library if I remember.
Seems like the usual stuff just got a bit out of hand like the kerfuffle at the American embassy jonks back.
That is now a very interesting museum open to the public.
Ah good , so racist behaviour is only racist when directed at whites ?

(In fairness good story though - I met a few Iranians myself in a London boozer recently and they were great craic)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 30.11.2011, 16:48
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,601
Groaned at 570 Times in 483 Posts
Thanked 20,849 Times in 10,952 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
Very weak!
Well try introducing yourself in the introductions forum so we can take you seriously
otherwise TROLL
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 30.11.2011, 16:49
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
You are correct we are not reactionary instead we make cold calculated moves like bombing the hell out of Libya and only follow rules that suit us. Doing dirty things for national interest is one thing but then acting morally superior as well won't cut with me.
I think "bombing the hell" is a little bit (huge) of an exaggeration. IIRC, we were asked to intervene by the NTC to prevent civilian casualties and I think, by and large, it went pretty much according to plan.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 30.11.2011, 18:10
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,334
Groaned at 149 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,292 Times in 3,533 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
Ah good , so racist behaviour is only racist when directed at whites ?

(In fairness good story though - I met a few Iranians myself in a London boozer recently and they were great craic)
What racist behaviour? Heck they would start off at the British embassy, mosey over to the US one and end up with the French, nothing to do with race at all, just fun and games on a friday, that´s is all what it was.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 30.11.2011, 18:14
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,484
Groaned at 134 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 1,685 Times in 770 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
What exactly is your point?

For example, in UK when a policewoman was shot & killed by someone in the Libyan embassy the UK still respected the law & did not enter the embassy.
My point is, the US & UK have disregarded International law at nearly any & every turn...Just because they aren't storming an embassy where perhaps a handful of people can get injured, they have no problem with initiating coups in countless countries (Including Iran) whereby hundreds of thousands are killed, raped, tortured etc....Nevermind the wars, nevermind the financial laws that are skirted or put in place to only benefit those already in power & rich - namely the US & UK

So my point is, spare me the arrogance of trying to preach what International law has been breached because an embassy has been targeted...Nevermind the insufferable saber rattling DC & 10 Downing Street have carried on wrt Iran - we know what this is about, oil & Israel...Let's talk when hundreds of thousands of Americans or Brits endure what so many countries have at the hands of countries who 'respect International law'
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at FCBarca for this post:
  #35  
Old 30.11.2011, 18:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lyss
Posts: 910
Groaned at 37 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 883 Times in 434 Posts
glinaa has a reputation beyond reputeglinaa has a reputation beyond reputeglinaa has a reputation beyond reputeglinaa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
Right, close down their embassy and expel the ambassador.
They just did.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/8922993/British-embassy-attack-in-Iran-live.html

new war is cooking as we speak ...

Last edited by glinaa; 30.11.2011 at 18:42.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 30.11.2011, 18:42
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 449
Groaned at 222 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,002 Posts
Pashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisance
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
What racist behaviour? Heck they would start off at the British embassy, mosey over to the US one and end up with the French, nothing to do with race at all, just fun and games on a friday, that´s is all what it was.
What a great way to spend the afternoon ! Makes Lynching seem so boring.

Shame about the war though - Iran doesn't do so well in wars where the other side also has guns.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pashosh for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 30.11.2011, 18:45
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
My point is, the US & UK have disregarded International law at nearly any & every turn...Just because they aren't storming an embassy where perhaps a handful of people can get injured, they have no problem with initiating coups in countless countries (Including Iran) whereby hundreds of thousands are killed, raped, tortured etc....Nevermind the wars, nevermind the financial laws that are skirted or put in place to only benefit those already in power & rich - namely the US & UK

So my point is, spare me the arrogance of trying to preach what International law has been breached because an embassy has been targeted...Nevermind the insufferable saber rattling DC & 10 Downing Street have carried on wrt Iran - we know what this is about, oil & Israel...Let's talk when hundreds of thousands of Americans or Brits endure what so many countries have at the hands of countries who 'respect International law'
Pretty well all the recent unpleasant actions by the US and UK were agreed with the UN, and thus under international law. Torture wasn't, but all the bombings and invasions have always been agreed with the UN. Otherwise they would have to pay reparations, as Germany had to repay France after WW1, and which ultimately started WW2.

So please calm the rhetoric down and come up with some facts, or at least quote Wikipaedia. No other countries seem to want to take over the rôle of world policeman, so you will just have to put up with the Anglo Saxon's violent past and future.

Are you going to be wringing your hands and wondering what can we do, when unstable Iran attacks Israel with a nuclear bomb? Or are you going to stand tall with the rest of the western world and tell Iran to stop making these deadly weapons? And probably with UN agreement, bomb Iran with conventional weapons, just as they brought Iraq to it's knees.

.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 30.11.2011, 18:55
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 642
Groaned at 219 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,024 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
My point is, the US & UK have disregarded International law at nearly any & every turn...Just because they aren't storming an embassy where perhaps a handful of people can get injured, they have no problem with initiating coups in countless countries (Including Iran) whereby hundreds of thousands are killed, raped, tortured etc....Nevermind the wars, nevermind the financial laws that are skirted or put in place to only benefit those already in power & rich - namely the US & UK

So my point is, spare me the arrogance of trying to preach what International law has been breached because an embassy has been targeted...Nevermind the insufferable saber rattling DC & 10 Downing Street have carried on wrt Iran - we know what this is about, oil & Israel...Let's talk when hundreds of thousands of Americans or Brits endure what so many countries have at the hands of countries who 'respect International law'
Didn't know Robert Mugabe was a member here... Hi Bob!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 30.11.2011, 18:56
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 449
Groaned at 222 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,002 Posts
Pashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisancePashosh is considered a nuisance
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

No need for bombs: Dis-invite Iran from the next Olympic games (a legal procedure + brown envelopes to the olympic commitee will suffice)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pashosh for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 30.11.2011, 19:15
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,484
Groaned at 134 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 1,685 Times in 770 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iranians attack & enter British Embassy in Tehran

Quote:
View Post
Pretty well all the recent unpleasant actions by the US and UK were agreed with the UN, and thus under international law. Torture wasn't, but all the bombings and invasions have always been agreed with the UN. Otherwise they would have to pay reparations, as Germany had to repay France after WW1, and which ultimately started WW2.

So please calm the rhetoric down and come up with some facts, or at least quote Wikipaedia. No other countries seem to want to take over the rôle of world policeman, so you will just have to put up with the Anglo Saxon's violent past and future.

Are you going to be wringing your hands and wondering what can we do, when unstable Iran attacks Israel with a nuclear bomb? Or are you going to stand tall with the rest of the western world and tell Iran to stop making these deadly weapons? And probably with UN agreement, bomb Iran with conventional weapons, just as they brought Iraq to it's knees.

.
Go back & do your homework...Iraq was a unilateral action by the US/UK and their mightily armed friends of Palau, Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands etc...Let's not rewrite history, eh?

As for coups, there are too many to count...It's easier to list coups that weren't initiated by the US/UK

I could care less about a propped up apartheid state posing as a 'democracy' like Israel - and last I checked, Iran has never initiated any attacks on any of it's neighbors anywhere...We all know the same cannot be said for Israel - a military state that has flamed wars & regional instability, targeted assassinations, skirted the UN in their own nuclear armament & of course all in the name of eradicating the indigenous people of Palestine

I do enjoy the ignorance of Fox News kids from both sides of the Atlantic - please do continue with the World According to 'Might is Right'
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
iran, tehran




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Employment Opportunity / Job at the British Embassy in Bern Tigger M Employment 0 07.04.2011 19:21
Translator recognised by the British Embassy Pharmers wife Permits/visas/government 1 14.03.2011 22:35
Our site featuring British & US food & drink for home delivery in Switzerland Swissmountainair Commercial 1 11.11.2008 17:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0