Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4021  
Old 17.03.2019, 20:48
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,374
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
this says alot. Blond blue eyed
Are you equating blond-hair, blue-eyed people with white supremacists in the same way that people equate headscarves with terrorists?
Reply With Quote
  #4022  
Old 18.03.2019, 00:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,830
Groaned at 80 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 7,408 Times in 3,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Says it better than I can...

Name:  osman.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  35.2 KB https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/1106419337567428608
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
This user groans at Blueangel for this post:
  #4023  
Old 18.03.2019, 01:33
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,487
Groaned at 139 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,598 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

He says a lot of things apparently:

"I actually refuse to hold the door for white people. Life's too easy for them as it is, it's my way of throwing in some obstacles."

-Osman Faruqi, Twitter, 15.10.17
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #4024  
Old 18.03.2019, 02:49
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Used to be Basel.
Posts: 962
Groaned at 29 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 2,104 Times in 787 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Lurking in the shadows... the number of posts following this shooting pale in comparison to those on US soil*, yet the body count = to Orlando and not much lower than Las Vegas. WTF - where is the faux outrage and all the gun control vitriol?

Guess it doesn't fit the narrative...

#killerstayedalivefortheplatform

*check it out =#posts/3 days following

#shooterisawanker
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank VFR on top for this useful post:
  #4025  
Old 18.03.2019, 07:24
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,030
Groaned at 649 Times in 413 Posts
Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,090 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
He says a lot of things apparently:

"I actually refuse to hold the door for white people. Life's too easy for them as it is, it's my way of throwing in some obstacles."

-Osman Faruqi, Twitter, 15.10.17
Yeah, these horrible people hiding their hate speech behind political correctness, not like this prick getting it out there for all to see.
Reply With Quote
  #4026  
Old 18.03.2019, 07:38
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,242
Groaned at 122 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 23,808 Times in 9,181 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Lurking in the shadows... the number of posts following this shooting pale in comparison to those on US soil*, yet the body count = to Orlando and not much lower than Las Vegas. WTF - where is the faux outrage and all the gun control vitriol?

Guess it doesn't fit the narrative...

#killerstayedalivefortheplatform

*check it out =#posts/3 days following

#shooterisawanker
If you’re talking about EF, it might also be to do with the timing. The forum is less active at the weekend, esp if it’s sunny. There were a fair few posts through Friday then it tailed off. Orlando happened on a Sunday (late-ish for European time) so was more edging into the working week.

Not saying it’s the be all and end all but lack of posting doesn’t mean a lack of importance.
Reply With Quote
  #4027  
Old 18.03.2019, 07:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 7,844
Groaned at 253 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 9,917 Times in 5,320 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Lurking in the shadows... the number of posts following this shooting pale in comparison to those on US soil*, yet the body count = to Orlando and not much lower than Las Vegas. WTF - where is the faux outrage and all the gun control vitriol?

Guess it doesn't fit the narrative...

#killerstayedalivefortheplatform

*check it out =#posts/3 days following

#shooterisawanker
And you can't be happy with your vast collection of guns because some people on EF dislike Americans? lol

#snowflake

I mean seriously, are you for real? You can't compare a few shootings here and there with the constant series of mass murders in the USA. Proportions and all that. Enjoy your guns. MAGA
Reply With Quote
  #4028  
Old 18.03.2019, 08:06
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,801
Groaned at 124 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,445 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
LWTF - where is ....... all the gun control vitriol?
Reckon there's a fair chance that no-one knew what New Zealand gun control laws were. Is now clear they are far too lax and unlike certain other countries the government want (yes, too late) to do something about it.
Reply With Quote
  #4029  
Old 18.03.2019, 08:17
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,030
Groaned at 649 Times in 413 Posts
Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,090 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Reckon there's a fair chance that no-one knew what New Zealand gun control laws were. Is now clear they are far too lax and unlike certain other countries the government want (yes, too late) to do something about it.
This has nothing to do with gun laws and everything to do with White Supremacists. Gun laws don’t prevent mass killings, see the school shooting in Brazil for details (though apparently you’re not allowed to mention that as they’re still grieving or something).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #4030  
Old 18.03.2019, 08:25
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,801
Groaned at 124 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,445 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
This has nothing to do with gun laws and everything to do with White Supremacists. Gun laws don’t prevent mass killings, see the school shooting in Brazil for details (though apparently you’re not allowed to mention that as they’re still grieving or something).
Ah the old NRA argument wheeled out for a new airing.

Yes, they don't prevent. But they do hinder and that's already enough for me. In this particular case non-availability may well have had an effect on his ability to obtain the high capacity semi-automatic used.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #4031  
Old 18.03.2019, 08:32
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,030
Groaned at 649 Times in 413 Posts
Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,090 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Ah the old NRA argument wheeled out for a new airing.

Yes, they don't prevent. But they do hinder and that's already enough for me. In this particular case non-availability may well have had an effect on his ability to obtain the high capacity semi-automatic used.
Then he would have used explosives, or a truck or something else. If you set out to kill as many people as possible then there’s little that can be done to prevent it. New Zealand has managed for years with its gun laws and now one Australian is going to ruin it for them all.
Reply With Quote
  #4032  
Old 18.03.2019, 08:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,830
Groaned at 80 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 7,408 Times in 3,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Reckon there's a fair chance that no-one knew what New Zealand gun control laws were. Is now clear they are far too lax and unlike certain other countries the government want (yes, too late) to do something about it.
I knew, but mainly because my OH lived there for a while in a house share with a policewoman, and also because, along with Switzerland, it's one of the countries whose stats are often quoted in the aftermath of US gun massacres. However, the psychology of their relationship with guns is markedly different.
Reply With Quote
  #4033  
Old 18.03.2019, 09:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,830
Groaned at 80 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 7,408 Times in 3,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
He says a lot of things apparently:

"I actually refuse to hold the door for white people. Life's too easy for them as it is, it's my way of throwing in some obstacles."

-Osman Faruqi, Twitter, 15.10.17
That court case has already been fought and lost by Mark Latham. https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-osman-faruqi

Lazy research pilatus, and Loz too quick to jump on the bandwagon. Quelle surprise!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Blueangel for this post:
  #4034  
Old 18.03.2019, 09:27
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,234
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,261 Times in 2,281 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
That court case has already been fought and lost by Mark Latham. https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-osman-faruqi

Lazy research pilatus, and Loz too quick to jump on the bandwagon. Quelle surprise!
And this is why we need a ban on guns, especially ones that can fire at high rates. Someone sees something they don't like, get emotional and go grab their weapon. The fact is we base our laws around the "worst" in society (WE can all drive safely over the speed limit, drink drive limit etc, but not everyone can) so you have to err on the side of caution.
Reply With Quote
  #4035  
Old 18.03.2019, 09:43
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,801
Groaned at 124 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,445 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Then he would have used explosives, or a truck or something else. If you set out to kill as many people as possible then there’s little that can be done to prevent it. New Zealand has managed for years with its gun laws and now one Australian is going to ruin it for them all.
No. No-one is proposing they can't have their guns. Just not guns for which the sole reasonable purpose is to kill massive numbers of people.

Oh and there was an earlier incident, back in 1990 (Aramoana).
Reply With Quote
  #4036  
Old 18.03.2019, 09:45
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,487
Groaned at 139 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,598 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
That court case has already been fought and lost by Mark Latham. https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-osman-faruqi

Lazy research pilatus, and Loz too quick to jump on the bandwagon. Quelle surprise!


So, he didn't say that?

Are your synapses firing? Have you had your coffee yet today?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #4037  
Old 18.03.2019, 09:50
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,030
Groaned at 649 Times in 413 Posts
Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,090 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post


So, he didn't say that?

Are your synapses firing? Have you had your coffee yet today?
Hard to tell if she’s being willingly ignorant or if she really doesn’t see the hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #4038  
Old 18.03.2019, 09:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 37
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Euphrasia has no particular reputation at present
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

I don't think lack of posting on EF correlates to lack of care.

This shooting has been almost all I have thought about over the weekend. It is horrific, sickening. I am so disgusted by the alt-right movement in Australia and it is constantly being fed by pathetic bigots just like Mark Latham, Anning has really taken the spotlight at the moment though.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Euphrasia for this useful post:
  #4039  
Old 18.03.2019, 10:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,830
Groaned at 80 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 7,408 Times in 3,476 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post


So, he didn't say that?
Take it up with him, and I hope you have deep pockets.
Quote:
Hard to tell if she’s being willingly ignorant or if she really doesn’t see the hypocrisy.
I'm not being "willingly ignorant" (though I would have used the term 'willfully ignorant' personally). Before yesterday, I was ignorant of the person in question. It was purely his words that struck a chord when they were quoted by someone that I do respect.

Today, you expect me to have full knowledge of everything about him and defend his reputation, but it took seconds... literally seconds... to find the court case specifically regarding the tweet in question (and others). Compared to some of the views you've put forward on this forum, his words are small fry. If anything, you (of all people) should read how the case was fought and won and applaud it. It was a very interesting and contentious case.
Reply With Quote
  #4040  
Old 18.03.2019, 10:16
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,350
Groaned at 244 Times in 197 Posts
Thanked 15,487 Times in 6,401 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
This has nothing to do with gun laws and everything to do with White Supremacists. Gun laws don’t prevent mass killings, see the school shooting in Brazil for details (though apparently you’re not allowed to mention that as they’re still grieving or something).
Bullshit.

Take your deluded, right wing views elsewhere. Be an arsehole somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
This user groans at 22 yards for this post:
Reply

Tags
florida, gay, isis, killed, muslim students, shooting, usa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My boss is a.......(fill in the gap) goombie General off-topic 35 28.01.2011 14:55
Recreational Shooting in the Geneva canton MAWLER Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 9 31.08.2010 16:04
What just happened please i could not access the forum Sutter Forum support 44 25.05.2009 19:03
Do I need to fill in Tax forms for the US? Roe Finance/banking/taxation 14 18.06.2008 18:17
What's just happened to the Swiss Franc? Tim Finance/banking/taxation 7 08.05.2007 16:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0