Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 02.10.2015, 12:34
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,790
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,265 Times in 2,958 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
I don't have the impression that American culture seen on an aggregate level is especially violent, and despite the cliché of the typical American being a confrontational twerp with zero contextual radar, my experience and impression with travelling around in the US and well off the beaten track is that they're actually less confrontational than people over here. And I'm including in this assessment bible thumpers and gun rights touters.


So I don't think there is a violent culture per se. there may be a small number of statistical outliers and it is these outliers who do stupid things and cause great damage. But I don't see as this being much to do with American culture.
Besides that there are also heros out there. Just like in an Americana movie. "Forget the zeroes and remember the heroes."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ource=facebook
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #402  
Old 02.10.2015, 13:05
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,310
Groaned at 210 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 12,968 Times in 5,329 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Besides that there are also heros out there. Just like in an Americana movie. "Forget the zeroes and remember the heroes."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ource=facebook
That report contains the following horrifying statistic (referring, of course, only to the US):

"For the 40th time this year, the 141st time since the Sandy Hook massacre, a gunman had opened fire in a school."


... and apparently the Oregon shooting was the 294th "mass shooting" in the US THIS YEAR alone. So far.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #403  
Old 02.10.2015, 22:34
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 779
Groaned at 94 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Again another incident proves that the majority of Americans are pretty stupid.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Connor MacLeod for this useful post:
  #404  
Old 03.10.2015, 01:46
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,104
Groaned at 103 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 14,608 Times in 4,705 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Nothing wrong with Islamophobia.
And I guess you see nothing wrong with Antisemitism either?
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 03.10.2015, 02:47
FunnyBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 650
Groaned at 33 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 934 Times in 433 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

All religions are organizations of "us vs them", independently of who they are - it's a fight for power. I have yet to learn of a peaceful religion that doesn't send the non-believers or non-adherants to hell on this earth or have them simply killed, after which of course they are in hell and the killers get awarded by their god or gods.

Why do you find it a problem for one to dislike a religion, or all of them for that matter (count me in on this one) and actually voicing the fact that one doesn't like it? Shall we stone those who voice their opinions or burn them at stake? Do we really have to start a fight for equality from zero again?


When I say I don't like religions of any kind, I want to say that I don't want to be discriminated against in any way - by christens, adventists, mormons, muslims, jews, or whatever!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FunnyBone for this useful post:
  #406  
Old 03.10.2015, 12:38
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,564
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,553 Times in 6,309 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Again another incident proves that the majority of Americans are pretty stupid.
The shooter was born in the UK proving ............
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #407  
Old 03.10.2015, 13:24
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N/A
Posts: 659
Groaned at 54 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 593 Times in 329 Posts
lorena1 has a reputation beyond reputelorena1 has a reputation beyond reputelorena1 has a reputation beyond reputelorena1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Chris Harper-Mercer was British-born, had a British father. Some newspapers called him a Nazi fanatic who was supporting the IRA. Having read about the way he executed his fellow students I found it was disturbing to ask them for their religion, then tell those poor kids they'll meet their maker in a bit before gunning them down.

On a brighter note, Chris Mintz, the army veteran who attempted to stop the shooter and took seven bullets as a consequence is rightfully considered one of the heros of this tragedy.


Quote:
View Post
Again another incident proves that the majority of Americans are pretty stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 03.10.2015, 19:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,369
Groaned at 221 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 7,878 Times in 4,253 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
The shooter was born in the UK proving ............
That stupidity, as many other things, it's not a monopoly of one nation or another.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #409  
Old 03.10.2015, 19:34
bonaire's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 208
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 310 Times in 96 Posts
bonaire has earned the respect of manybonaire has earned the respect of manybonaire has earned the respect of many
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
I have yet to learn of a peaceful religion that doesn't send the non-believers or non-adherants to hell....
Meet the mormons.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/morm...icle-1.1031550

We had a mormon nanny when we lived in Philadelphia and she spent a couple of days in Washington DC baptizing the dead. DC is one of the mormon headquarters for this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bonaire for this useful post:
  #410  
Old 03.10.2015, 19:43
bonaire's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 208
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 310 Times in 96 Posts
bonaire has earned the respect of manybonaire has earned the respect of manybonaire has earned the respect of many
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Again another incident proves that the majority of Americans are pretty stupid.
Being an American, I'd really, really like to argue with you here but after Sandyhook Elementary where a bunch of small children were massacred actually led to a spike in gun sales and even some states passing more lax gun laws, I just can't argue with you! The gun fetish in America is far and away my least favorite thing about my country. In love with a piece of metal thats sole purpose is to kill; I'll never understand. Growing up, I loved hunting ducks, geese, and pheasant. I drifted away from hunting when I went to university and it is the gun crazies that kept me away after university because I didn't want to be associated with them.

But lets be honest about this, the majority of most populations aren't that smart and America is hardly a "democracy". Money, corporations, money, special interest, and money, rule America and no lobby is bigger than the NRA.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank bonaire for this useful post:
  #411  
Old 03.10.2015, 20:13
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,180
Groaned at 1,163 Times in 911 Posts
Thanked 25,035 Times in 11,988 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
The gun fetish in America is far and away my least favorite thing about my country. In love with a piece of metal thats sole purpose is to kill; I'll never understand. Growing up, I loved hunting ducks, geese, and pheasant. I drifted away from hunting when I went to university and it is the gun crazies that kept me away after university because I didn't want to be associated with them.
Worst was when I was working in Dayton Ohio for ten months (I will never view my time spent there as actually 'living' there, ).

Co-worker would bring their guns to work for show-and-tell!

And I'm talking about engineers, V.P.s, etc, not joe stock-boy.

OK, here they'll bring them too, but to clean them up before their next stint, not to show off.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 03.10.2015, 20:43
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 779
Groaned at 94 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
The shooter was born in the UK proving ............
Quote:
View Post
Chris Harper-Mercer was British-born, had a British father. Some newspapers called him a Nazi fanatic who was supporting the IRA. Having read about the way he executed his fellow students I found it was disturbing to ask them for their religion, then tell those poor kids they'll meet their maker in a bit before gunning them down.

On a brighter note, Chris Mintz, the army veteran who attempted to stop the shooter and took seven bullets as a consequence is rightfully considered one of the heros of this tragedy.
I wasn't referring to the guy who did the shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 03.10.2015, 20:45
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 779
Groaned at 94 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Being an American, I'd really, really like to argue with you here but after Sandyhook Elementary where a bunch of small children were massacred actually led to a spike in gun sales and even some states passing more lax gun laws, I just can't argue with you! The gun fetish in America is far and away my least favorite thing about my country. In love with a piece of metal that's sole purpose is to kill; I'll never understand. Growing up, I loved hunting ducks, geese, and pheasant. I drifted away from hunting when I went to university and it is the gun crazies that kept me away after university because I didn't want to be associated with them.
Most of my American friends agree. There is a common theme though, no of them actually live in America anymore.


I've deleted the last part of your post because there simply are no 'buts'.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Connor MacLeod for this useful post:
  #414  
Old 03.10.2015, 21:37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St Elsewhere
Posts: 332
Groaned at 16 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 320 Times in 151 Posts
Brass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of many
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Just out of curiosity, what has actually happened here?

My father taught me target shooting when I was five. I was active in clubs when I was Stateside and never once encountered anyone who was even careless, let alone violent. I've been a member of shooting clubs here as well and I've never met a more responsible and conscientious group of people.

So what has happened in the US. It's definitely more difficult to buy a firearm now compared to the 60s and 70s. Why the resent spike in nutcases?

I've long wondered if the hyper-violent video games kids play today aren't lowering the threshold of 'acceptable' violence. Television has gotten FAR more graphic in recent years. I think people can become numb to it.

As far as the video games go, I'm no shrinking violet but some of them are so graphic it's really awful. Could the realism be partly to blame? I mean, some of here may have watched The Three Stooges when we were young (I loved them), but did anyone go around twisting other's noses with monkey wrenches? Or did anyone believe that Wile E. Coyote actually fell off precipice after precipice and just stood up and dusted himself off?
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 03.10.2015, 21:40
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 779
Groaned at 94 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Just out of curiosity, what has actually happened here?

My father taught me target shooting when I was five. I was active in clubs when I was Stateside and never once encountered anyone who was even careless, let alone violent. I've been a member of shooting clubs here as well and I've never met a more responsible and conscientious group of people.

So what has happened in the US. It's definitely more difficult to buy a firearm now compared to the 60s and 70s. Why the resent spike in nutcases?

I've long wondered if the hyper-violent video games kids play today aren't lowering the threshold of 'acceptable' violence. Television has gotten FAR more graphic in recent years. I think people can become numb to it.

As far as the video games go, I'm no shrinking violet but some of them are so graphic it's really awful. Could the realism be partly to blame? I mean, some of here may have watched The Three Stooges when we were young (I loved them), but did anyone go around twisting other's noses with monkey wrenches? Or did anyone believe that Wile E. Coyote actually fell off precipice after precipice and just stood up and dusted himself off?
Yes, its all down to GTA.
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 03.10.2015, 21:43
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 16,554
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 822 Posts
Thanked 44,073 Times in 13,630 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Just out of curiosity, what has actually happened here?

My father taught me target shooting when I was five. I was active in clubs when I was Stateside and never once encountered anyone who was even careless, let alone violent. I've been a member of shooting clubs here as well and I've never met a more responsible and conscientious group of people.

So what has happened in the US. It's definitely more difficult to buy a firearm now compared to the 60s and 70s. Why the resent spike in nutcases?

I've long wondered if the hyper-violent video games kids play today aren't lowering the threshold of 'acceptable' violence. Television has gotten FAR more graphic in recent years. I think people can become numb to it.

As far as the video games go, I'm no shrinking violet but some of them are so graphic it's really awful. Could the realism be partly to blame? I mean, some of here may have watched The Three Stooges when we were young (I loved them), but did anyone go around twisting other's noses with monkey wrenches? Or did anyone believe that Wile E. Coyote actually fell off precipice after precipice and just stood up and dusted himself off?
Global warming.
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 03.10.2015, 21:50
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,104
Groaned at 103 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 14,608 Times in 4,705 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Just out of curiosity, what has actually happened here?

My father taught me target shooting when I was five. I was active in clubs when I was Stateside and never once encountered anyone who was even careless, let alone violent. I've been a member of shooting clubs here as well and I've never met a more responsible and conscientious group of people.

So what has happened in the US. It's definitely more difficult to buy a firearm now compared to the 60s and 70s. Why the resent spike in nutcases?

I've long wondered if the hyper-violent video games kids play today aren't lowering the threshold of 'acceptable' violence. Television has gotten FAR more graphic in recent years. I think people can become numb to it.

As far as the video games go, I'm no shrinking violet but some of them are so graphic it's really awful. Could the realism be partly to blame? I mean, some of here may have watched The Three Stooges when we were young (I loved them), but did anyone go around twisting other's noses with monkey wrenches? Or did anyone believe that Wile E. Coyote actually fell off precipice after precipice and just stood up and dusted himself off?
I think the simple answer is narcissism. My life sucks, everyone else is having a great time. They need to die.
We're living in the age of 'Me', where nobody or nothing else matters. However if you're going to blame video games, you might as well blame Facebook too.
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 04.10.2015, 08:02
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 768
Groaned at 65 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 689 Times in 331 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Nothing wrong with Islamophobia
Nothing wrong with prejudice, I believe the 3rd Reich felt similarly
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #419  
Old 04.10.2015, 11:47
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,790
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,265 Times in 2,958 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

I would blame it all on depression and lack of something vital in life. In the country, where you have access to and believe so much in material things where people with high egos want something more, there is simply missing some psychological elements in life e.g. love, equality, acceptance and belonging to society, true freedom and other psychological factors that determine happiness and self esteem. That void cannot be offset by the current system in place and hence it produces psychos and lunatics. The rest is just to have the wrong material things in hands of the wrong people and you know the final outcome better ...
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 04.10.2015, 12:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,980
Groaned at 68 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 1,795 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

America has always had a gun culture, the real problem lies in the intersection between our gun and pharmaceutical industries:

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicin...l.pmed.1001875

enacting effective gun control measures will not stop criminals from killing other criminals in our urban centers, but it would very definitely curb the kind of mass shootings we are seeing in our schools and outside of our urban centers. after all, nearly every mass shooting in the US shares 2 common traits - weapons that were purchased legally, and legally-prescribed, psychotropic medications.

P.S. in my experience, the people who suggest that the problem is simply the result of "American culture" or "stupidity" have no familiarity with the former but probably a fair degree of familiarity with the latter.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank crazygringo for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
florida, gay, isis, killed, muslim students, shooting, usa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My boss is a.......(fill in the gap) goombie General off-topic 35 28.01.2011 15:55
Recreational Shooting in the Geneva canton MAWLER Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 9 31.08.2010 17:04
What just happened please i could not access the forum Sutter Forum support 44 25.05.2009 20:03
Do I need to fill in Tax forms for the US? Roe Finance/banking/taxation 14 18.06.2008 19:17
What's just happened to the Swiss Franc? Tim Finance/banking/taxation 7 08.05.2007 17:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0