Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #381  
Old 30.05.2020, 12:37
Pachyderm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,462
Groaned at 73 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,091 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
The petition to remain in the EU hit 6 million plus, and look how well that worked out! That's not how we work in a democracy. I'm still watching
These online petitions make me laugh. I notice that no one ever describes these 6 million clicks as representing 6 million individual British voters. And for very good reason.

Apart from the petition being widely publicised across the world (with a clickable link being handily provided in many online reports), ask any UK voter who did actually ''sign', how many times they did so. All you needed was an email address to add your name to the petition. How many people don't have multiple email addresses? I have at least 6 or 7 myself, and if I felt as strongly about this issue as many did, I'm damn sure I'd have used them all.

We can never be sure about how much the online petitions are abused, but we can be sure about regulated, legitimate public votes like the EU referendum of 2016, the Euro parliamentary elections of May 2019, and the December general election in the UK which were decisively won by the pro-Brexit side.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pachyderm for this useful post:
  #382  
Old 30.05.2020, 12:42
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,604
Groaned at 284 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 24,744 Times in 10,458 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
These online petitions make me laugh. I notice that no one ever describes these 6 million clicks as representing 6 million individual British voters. And for very good reason.

Apart from the petition being widely publicised across the world (with a clickable link being handily provided in many online reports), ask any UK voter who did actually ''sign', how many times they did so. All you needed was an email address to add your name to the petition. How many people don't have multiple email addresses? I have at least 6 or 7 myself, and if I felt as strongly about this issue as many did, I'm damn sure I'd have used them all.

We can never be sure about how much the online petitions are abused, but we can be sure about regulated, legitimate public votes like the EU referendum of 2016, the Euro parliamentary elections of May 2019, and the December general election in the UK which were decisively won by the pro-Brexit side.
Which is why in Switzerland referendum initiative signatures are verified and cross-checked, which is why the initiators always try to collect more than the legal minimum number as there are always bound to be some signatories who cannot be verified.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #383  
Old 30.05.2020, 14:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,857
Groaned at 244 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 6,601 Times in 3,107 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Dominic Cummings's statement: a guided tour | FT

This clip is 25 minutes long, but it provides an analysis of the document read out by Mr. Cummings explaining his sins. Although it is long I do recommend that everyone have a look.



You don't have to be smart, you just have to have good lawyers ...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #384  
Old 30.05.2020, 14:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 427
Groaned at 44 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 959 Times in 482 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Well seeing as Cummings didn't get his comeuppance this week, I might as well flaunt the t-shirt
ready for his next tour.

Name:  Cummings lockdown tour.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  45.8 KB
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #385  
Old 31.05.2020, 10:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

81% of Brits believe Cummings broke the rules (OK, basically confirmed by Durham police) and 68% think he should resign. Only 29% believe the media has been unfair to Cummings.

Oh and Johnson now has a 5% disapproval rating.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ings-should-go

Separately, 26 top UK health scientists have written an open letter stating Cummings actions have broken Covid-19 policy trust.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...top-scientists
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #386  
Old 31.05.2020, 17:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,928
Groaned at 466 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 11,853 Times in 6,167 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Which is why in Switzerland referendum initiative signatures are verified and cross-checked, which is why the initiators always try to collect more than the legal minimum number as there are always bound to be some signatories who cannot be verified.
It would be trivial for their opponents to make them fail if they didn't by mass-signing with fake data. Come to think of it, I'm a bit surprised this appears to be no problem, perhaps a benefit from handing in the forms continuously so the checking personnel isn't overwhelmed and the result available soon.
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 31.05.2020, 18:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,857
Groaned at 244 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 6,601 Times in 3,107 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Curious but who would be eligible to sign this petition? A British Citizen, a British Citizen with the right to live in the UK, A British taxpayer, A British resident, Someone on the Voting Register? Some of the above, All of the above, none of the above?

It doesn’t actually say.
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 31.05.2020, 19:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,282
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 18,966 Times in 6,611 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Curious but who would be eligible to sign this petition? A British Citizen, a British Citizen with the right to live in the UK, A British taxpayer, A British resident, Someone on the Voting Register? Some of the above, All of the above, none of the above?

It doesn’t actually say.
For change.org, only a unique email address is needed. It means that over a million real people, trolls and bots all over the world have voted by now.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #389  
Old 31.05.2020, 19:26
Pachyderm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,462
Groaned at 73 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,091 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
For change.org, only a unique email address is needed. It means that over a million real people, trolls and bots all over the world have voted by now.
The fabled 6 million petition, if I remember rightly, asked you to check a box to confirm that you were a UK voter, and that you had not voted more than once -- thereby conveniently informing users that it was possible to vote more than once.

An old friend of mine, a teacher in the UK, and a confirmed Remainer, told me that his trade union had sent him several emails with a handy direct link to the petition, to let him know that "if they opposed Boris Johnson's approach to Brexit" they might want to consider joining the petition, and encouraging them to circulate it to as many people as possible.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pachyderm for this useful post:
  #390  
Old 31.05.2020, 19:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,857
Groaned at 244 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 6,601 Times in 3,107 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
An old friend of mine, a teacher in the UK, and a confirmed Remainer, told me that his trade union had sent him several emails with a handy direct link to the petition, to let him know that "if they opposed Boris Johnson's approach to Brexit" they might want to consider joining the petition, and encouraging them to circulate it to as many people as possible.
??? I don’t see anything wrong with this. Perhaps they should have mentioned they could only vote once, but the change.org site already said that.
Reply With Quote
  #391  
Old 31.05.2020, 19:51
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,347
Groaned at 498 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 3,322 Times in 1,439 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
1. There is an independent witness stating he saw Cummings on the 19th. He stands by his story and Cummings has failed to prove otherwise.
2. The 1st statement by Durham Police said they did talk about lockdown guidelines. They changed their story yesterday. I wonder why...

So no press lies there..as Rufus says the jury is out on family members.

Cummings otoh has lied repeatedly and provably. Particularly about Barnard Castle which broke the rules in a number of ways.
Made yourself look like a right tit there, eh?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/31/man-w...made-12782423/
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at TonyClifton for this post:
  #392  
Old 31.05.2020, 20:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,567
Groaned at 472 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 19,378 Times in 10,229 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Made yourself look like a right tit there, eh?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/31/man-w...made-12782423/
No, that is your speciality. #
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
This user groans at marton for this post:
  #393  
Old 31.05.2020, 21:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Made yourself look like a right tit there, eh?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/31/man-w...made-12782423/
Now kindly explain how that makes it a press lie. As that was your claim and the point I was answering.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #394  
Old 03.06.2020, 11:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Risch
Posts: 738
Groaned at 37 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 806 Times in 414 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Explaining Boris:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...johnson-brexit

Can one imagine this kind of article about a current Swiss politician?
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 03.06.2020, 12:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,857
Groaned at 244 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 6,601 Times in 3,107 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Explaining Boris:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...johnson-brexit

Can one imagine this kind of article about a current Swiss politician?
Can one imagine a Swiss politician acting as Boris does.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #396  
Old 03.06.2020, 12:31
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,604
Groaned at 284 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 24,744 Times in 10,458 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
It would be trivial for their opponents to make them fail if they didn't by mass-signing with fake data. Come to think of it, I'm a bit surprised this appears to be no problem, perhaps a benefit from handing in the forms continuously so the checking personnel isn't overwhelmed and the result available soon.
I think its about civility.

In a place like the UK I'm sure people would be doing waht you describe and thus making the system unworkable, only to scream blue murder if one day the tables were turned and it would be their initiative being sabotaged.
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 03.06.2020, 12:38
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,604
Groaned at 284 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 24,744 Times in 10,458 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Curious but who would be eligible to sign this petition? A British Citizen, a British Citizen with the right to live in the UK, A British taxpayer, A British resident, Someone on the Voting Register? Some of the above, All of the above, none of the above?

It doesn’t actually say.
It doesn't actually matter because a petition is not legally binding but just a way to voice an opinion. Same as going to a demonstration or writing a letter to the newspaper.

Of course many petition platforms are also about harvesting data and then spamming you with rantings about other petitions you could be signing. Campact, wemove, aavaz, 38 degrees and so on. Once you're on their radar it is very difficult to unsusbcribe.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #398  
Old 04.06.2020, 07:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,638 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

What happened here?

Putin not interested in his henchmen anymore?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...i-summit-china

Awww, so sad for poor Boris. His feelings must be terribly hurt.
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 04.06.2020, 08:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
It doesn't actually matter because a petition is not legally binding but just a way to voice an opinion. Same as going to a demonstration or writing a letter to the newspaper.

.

I do believe that in UK a referendum is also not legally binding unless Parliament specifically make it so
Reply With Quote
This user groans at for this post:
  #400  
Old 04.06.2020, 08:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,256
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,130 Times in 7,417 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

I like Sir Keir Starmer... Boris has no defence against someone as smart as him. Compared to the incompetent messiah-complex Jeremy Corbyn he is an apex political predator and his legal experience will no doubt cause Boris a ton of distress in every session. Seems relatively non-corrupt too from the Googling I have done so far.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perhaps I misjudged Boris Johnson Castro General off-topic 12 10.09.2018 22:25
Boris Johnson for British Prime Minister Castro International affairs/politics 17 18.11.2009 14:47
Colonel Boris' Surly Thread. Colonelboris General off-topic 20 11.06.2009 13:19
Know anyone at Johnson and Johnson? nmcotton Employment 8 16.04.2008 19:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0