Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 25.05.2020, 14:13
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,001
Groaned at 450 Times in 344 Posts
Thanked 22,287 Times in 11,533 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
As far as I understand this, Cummings knowingly disregarded the rules and PM defended that? Tous les hommes sont egaux....
He has an Autistic child, being that his mother has experience caring for disabled kids it would seem a perfectly reasonable to thing to have done & legal in the circumstances.

Interesting the reaction from a school teacher on this, no doubt she will claim she did not know the child was Autistic
Quote:
just watch

most of our family are Tories, and have been forever, for generations. Phone calls yesterday clearly showed that they are appalled and disgusted- and it has brought to the surface all the other stuff I mentionned above. Not arguing with you - no time or energy for that.

Watch ...
I seem to remember you said otherwise before the last general election, on the lines of almost everybody you knew & family were going to do anything to stop the Tories getting in. Clearly your views are not aligned with the UK electorate at this time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 25.05.2020, 14:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

my friends were, and my daughters- not the rest of the family.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #123  
Old 25.05.2020, 14:21
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: zurich
Posts: 137
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 119 Times in 70 Posts
ZurichLuck has an excellent reputationZurichLuck has an excellent reputationZurichLuck has an excellent reputationZurichLuck has an excellent reputation
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

it's all well and good for these sappy opinionators to criticise boris just months after he won five years in power. would they do the same five months before an election? not bloody likely.

unfortuntaly, really unfortunately, i think the tories arent in too much trouble medium and long term. there's too many powerful institutions who are so pro tory, too much business pro tory, too many powerful people with direct vested interest in tory economic policy.

what they would do pre election is of course f££king crucify any politician who might want to tax the rich a bit more or send some of that gdp downwards for once, and with that in mind, and tbh, i think this latest theatrical boris bashing is to kind of superficially offset the explicit pro tory bias whcih is the default setting when it really matters

and piers morgan lol what a pussy
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 25.05.2020, 14:42
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,001
Groaned at 450 Times in 344 Posts
Thanked 22,287 Times in 11,533 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
my friends were, and my daughters- not the rest of the family.
Tough that you can't choose your family unlike friends
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 25.05.2020, 14:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
He has an Autistic child, being that his mother has experience caring for disabled kids it would seem a perfectly reasonable to thing to have done & legal in the circumstances.

Interesting the reaction from a school teacher on this, no doubt she will claim she did not know the child was Autistic
What's being a teacher got to do with anything? Other than the fact that all teachers seem to live rent free in your head. Bizarre.

I know the child is rumoured to be autistic. All the more reason not to take him over 200 miles out of his comfort zone and usual routines.

They didn't actuality get any childcare help. Which is where the house of cards falls down.

What Johnson and Cummings have forgotten is that, regardless of political affiliation or belief, everyone has loved ones and most folk have sacrificed a great deal to comply with the lockdown. For them then to rescript these rules into "common sense guidelines that you will onviously have to break if you are good parent" is the outrage.

I suspect the only folk who do not feel this injustice are folk who either care about no-one at all or have been doing as they please all along regardless of the potential consequences.

Last edited by RufusB; 25.05.2020 at 15:45.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 25.05.2020, 15:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Tough that you can't choose your family unlike friends
Oh it is, good observation that. It is indeed. Trump, Brexit, Johnson have really made life very difficult on this front. But we have remained calm, and agreed that close family (others we just let go - I will not do racism, ever) - we have avoided falling out, as life is too short. And yet, this week-end, phone calls showed that they are turning too- they think No Deal Brexit will be a disaster, that it will ruin the financial sector and so much more- but on Johnson's performance so far, and his support for Cummings- they are incensed - having they have made massive sacrifices last 2 months, losing people without saying good-bye or attending funeral, not seeing close family and grandchildren, and having a life saving operation cancelled 3 times. For the first time in a few years- we all sing from the same hymn sheet. Feels good.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #127  
Old 25.05.2020, 15:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
Oh it is, good observation that. It is indeed. Trump, Brexit, Johnson have really made life very difficult on this front. But we have remained calm, and agreed that close family (others we just let go - I will not do racism, ever) - we have avoided falling out, as life is too short. And yet, this week-end, phone calls showed that they are turning too- they think No Deal Brexit will be a disaster, that it will ruin the financial sector and so much more- but on Johnson's performance so far, and his support for Cummings- they are incensed - having they have made massive sacrifices last 2 months, losing people without saying good-bye or attending funeral, not seeing close family and grandchildren, and having a life saving operation cancelled 3 times. For the first time in a few years- we all sing from the same hymn sheet. Feels good.
Apparently Cummimgs is making a statement later. I imagine it'll be a performance worthy of an Armando Iannuci script.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #128  
Old 25.05.2020, 17:02
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,001
Groaned at 450 Times in 344 Posts
Thanked 22,287 Times in 11,533 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
What's being a teacher got to do with anything?
They are supposed to care about children, or that the spin generally put out by the profession.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 25.05.2020, 17:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
They are supposed to care about children, or that the spin generally put out by the profession.
Still not seeing what this has to do with the Cummings thing. Other than, as I said, your old teachers are living rent free in your head.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 25.05.2020, 17:24
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,001
Groaned at 450 Times in 344 Posts
Thanked 22,287 Times in 11,533 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
, as I said, your old teachers are living rent free in your head.
I never said that or anything that could be interpreted as such. Do you hear voices?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #131  
Old 25.05.2020, 17:48
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 499 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,455 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Well after this explanation, anyone that thinks Dominic Cummings should be sacked need their head examining.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 25.05.2020, 17:53
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
I know the child is rumoured to be autistic. All the more reason not to take him over 200 miles out of his comfort zone and usual routines.

And if DC and the wife ended up in hospital?
The child would have been better off with social services? Really?

Reasonable people would do the same as DC did, prepare for the worse with the childs health upmost in mind.


It's just a witch hunt, nothing more.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at CodPeace for this post:
  #133  
Old 25.05.2020, 17:59
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,662
Groaned at 291 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 24,863 Times in 10,502 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Odile, what would you do?

Most people who get caught breaking Covid regulations get fined, not sacked.

Should govt advisors be held to higher standards than the rest of the population, or should they be treated the same?
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 25.05.2020, 18:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
And if DC and the wife ended up in hospital?
The child would have been better off with social services? Really?

Reasonable people would do the same as DC did, prepare for the worse with the childs health upmost in mind.


It's just a witch hunt, nothing more.
Are you actually listening to it? There's plenty of people that have been fined for the sort of thing he admits to. There's certainly been a few less well connected to the inner circle that have been forced to resign. And as far as believing you have coronavirus and going to your over 70 year old parents and assuming they can care for your child who is probably also infected....?

Oh and as for his excuse that driving to Barnards Castle was to "test his eyesight"....!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #135  
Old 25.05.2020, 18:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Odile, what would you do?

Most people who get caught breaking Covid regulations get fined, not sacked.

Should govt advisors be held to higher standards than the rest of the population, or should they be treated the same?
Higher without doubt. They are meant to show an example.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #136  
Old 25.05.2020, 18:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Odile, what would you do?

Most people who get caught breaking Covid regulations get fined, not sacked.

Should govt advisors be held to higher standards than the rest of the population, or should they be treated the same?

Most people who get caught are not involved at the highest level with the very same government who decide the lockdown policies. Absolutely fire him and, for someone who has never been elected to any government position, he should never have been in the role in the first place. Makes me wonder what dirt he has on Bojo
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #137  
Old 25.05.2020, 18:08
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,143
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,853 Times in 8,394 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
Are you actually listening to it? There's plenty of people that have been fined for the sort of thing he admits to. There's certainly been a few less well connected to the inner circle that have been forced to resign. And as far as believing you have coronavirus and going to your over 70 year old parents and assuming they can care for your child who is probably also infected....?
Your last sentence was my first thought. He should have at least apologized instead of doubling down, and he should pay a fine if others have. When asked just now by a journalist if he thinks he at least "broke the spirit" of the rules being promoted by his own government, he said no he didn't.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #138  
Old 25.05.2020, 18:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
View Post
Makes me wonder what dirt he has on Bojo
No dirt. He just does all of Bojo's thinking for him.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #139  
Old 25.05.2020, 18:10
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,662
Groaned at 291 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 24,863 Times in 10,502 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
Higher without doubt. They are meant to show an example.
It might be desirable if they showed an example, laudible even, but I'm not aware of that being in the job description. They are civilians like everybody else.

If you start demanding people lose their job over fineable offences, where do you stop? Speeding ticket? Parking ticket? Library book late?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #140  
Old 25.05.2020, 18:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boris Johnson for PM?

Quote:
No dirt. He just does all of Bojo's thinking for him.

As Bojo is so obviously incapable of any meaningful thought. Does anyone even believe Cummings tale and I quote from BBC


He and his wife then spoke and "agreed we should go for a short drive" to see if he could manage it. Cummings says the pair "ended up on the outskirts of Barnard Castle" but denies they "walked around the town". However, when he "felt a bit sick", they walked "10 or 15 minutes" from the car and sat down.
His wife said "happy Easter" to someone.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perhaps I misjudged Boris Johnson Castro General off-topic 12 10.09.2018 22:25
Boris Johnson for British Prime Minister Castro International affairs/politics 17 18.11.2009 14:47
Colonel Boris' Surly Thread. Colonelboris General off-topic 20 11.06.2009 13:19
Know anyone at Johnson and Johnson? nmcotton Employment 8 16.04.2008 19:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0