Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.10.2012, 08:03
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

A Flemish nationalist (secessionist) has become city-president of Antwerp yesterday. And his party has increased its position all over Flanders. If Belgium breaks up, the French speaking parts of Brussels will be surrounded by Flanders. The Wallonie at the other hand then might join the French Republic
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.10.2012, 10:30
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,335
Groaned at 149 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,295 Times in 3,534 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

Quote:
View Post
A Flemish nationalist (secessionist) has become city-president of Antwerp yesterday. And his party has increased its position all over Flanders. If Belgium breaks up, the French speaking parts of Brussels will be surrounded by Flanders. The Wallonie at the other hand then might join the French Republic
Then it's by by Belgium. Won't the royal house be able to hit the brakes?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.10.2012, 12:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,609
Groaned at 573 Times in 486 Posts
Thanked 20,879 Times in 10,965 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

While the EU civil servants are trying to tighten their control over the EU countries there seems to be a counter reaction of seperatism, for another example, Catalan.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.10.2012, 22:40
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

Quote:
View Post
Then it's by by Belgium. Won't the royal house be able to hit the brakes?
King Albert fairly successfully for some years "bridged" the gaps and tried to bring Belgians together. But he has no powers to "hit the brakes". He possibly is one of the best "King of the Belgians" his country ever had, so that it is a bit tragic that he may be King when the country breaks apart.

I for the first time visited Belgium in 1971 and already then was shocked to see the bitterness and aggressiveness of the "language-conflict" there. I realized that all the problems evident in Switzerland are just romantic folklore by comparison ! I hope that King Albert and others will manage to re-structure Belgium into a lose confederation but their chances are increasingly slim. Flanders may survive as a country, or join the Netherlands. the Wallonie most likely will join the French Republic and the German speaking east will join Germany.

Brussels may get an extra-status as "EU-Capital" (Brussels-d-o-p-f = "Brussels, district of pommes frites"

Whatever, to all likelihood, Belgium as we know it today, will be history within one decade or two
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.10.2012, 22:45
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

Quote:
View Post
While the EU civil servants are trying to tighten their control over the EU countries there seems to be a counter reaction of seperatism, for another example, Catalan.
The Catalonia matter is far older than the E.U. (Montan-Union). The Catalon-Castilian conflict is hundreds of years old. General Franco, a dedicated Castilian, was heavily anti-Catalon. A majority of people in Catalunya, while eager to get even more autonomy, are fairly proud of Spain as a whole, and so most likely will reject any proposal to secede. But such things are subject to change, and my perception may be proven wrong, even in a not so distant future.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.10.2012, 22:49
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,459
Groaned at 250 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 22,615 Times in 9,238 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

Having lived there for many years I think hell will freeze over before Wallonia ever joins the French republic and likewise for Flanders and the Netherlands. I can't really say about the German speaking part as they are such a small minority they don't really have much input into anything.

It may look as if it's a big deal but I can't see Belgium changing very much in the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 16.10.2012, 22:08
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

Quote:
View Post
Having lived there for many years I think hell will freeze over before Wallonia ever joins the French republic and likewise for Flanders and the Netherlands. I can't really say about the German speaking part as they are such a small minority they don't really have much input into anything.

It may look as if it's a big deal but I can't see Belgium changing very much in the foreseeable future.
So, do you see the chance that Belgium will become even less centralist and more federalist ? You see, in Switzerland, the income-taxes do not go to the union but to the Cantons, Police forces are a Cantonal matter and so is education

The second question: While I am sure that Flanders could exist as an independent country, could Wallonia survive separately, as an independent country ?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.10.2012, 22:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

Quote:
View Post
The Catalonia matter is far older than the E.U. (Montan-Union). The Catalon-Castilian conflict is hundreds of years old. General Franco, a dedicated Castilian, was heavily anti-Catalon. A majority of people in Catalunya, while eager to get even more autonomy, are fairly proud of Spain as a whole, and so most likely will reject any proposal to secede. But such things are subject to change, and my perception may be proven wrong, even in a not so distant future.
I'm afraid that Franco wasn't Castilian, but Galician.

I should know, I hail from there too
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.10.2012, 23:34
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

Quote:
View Post
I'm afraid that Franco wasn't Castilian, but Galician.

I should know, I hail from there too
Oh sorry, right you are of course. But people in Barcelona did regard him and still do as a "mainland-Spaniard" and he WAS clearly anti-Catalon.

International media often forgets that Spain is not just Catalunya and Castilia. Francisco Pizarro was from the Extremadura. I however to not have the slightest clue where the sympathies of people of that area are ?

Hernan Cortez however WAS from Castilia-Leon ! And Cristoforo Colombo, whenever in Spanish service on his America voyages, was from Genova of course

Back to Franco. When he won against the Republicans, an uncle of me who had married a Left-wing Catalon women at almost the last moment together with her escaped on a ship to Marseille and a train to Switzerland. The lady then gradually became a convinced Schaffhauser-nationalist with strong sympathies for the leftwing-city-president Bringolf. She was the last person who visited Grandmum before her death in 1965. The lady later passed away before Spain returned to democracy. Neither Konrad nor Leah ever returned to Spain. Konrad died already in the early 1950ies, Leah however only around 1970 . Leah felt at home in Schaffhausen and had become a protestant already in Barcelona.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.10.2012, 07:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

Quote:
View Post
Oh sorry, right you are of course. But people in Barcelona did regard him and still do as a "mainland-Spaniard" and he WAS clearly anti-Catalon.

International media often forgets that Spain is not just Catalunya and Castilia. Francisco Pizarro was from the Extremadura. I however to not have the slightest clue where the sympathies of people of that area are ?

Hernan Cortez however WAS from Castilia-Leon ! And Cristoforo Colombo, whenever in Spanish service on his America voyages, was from Genova of course

Back to Franco. When he won against the Republicans, an uncle of me who had married a Left-wing Catalon women at almost the last moment together with her escaped on a ship to Marseille and a train to Switzerland. The lady then gradually became a convinced Schaffhauser-nationalist with strong sympathies for the leftwing-city-president Bringolf. She was the last person who visited Grandmum before her death in 1965. The lady later passed away before Spain returned to democracy. Neither Konrad nor Leah ever returned to Spain. Konrad died already in the early 1950ies, Leah however only around 1970 . Leah felt at home in Schaffhausen and had become a protestant already in Barcelona.
During Franco, we weren't allowed to speak Galician is schools and government offices. I assume the same applied in the Basque Country and Catalunya with their own languages.
He only died in 1975. We've come a long way in civil liberties. To be brought back down to our knees by the current economy....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.10.2012, 02:41
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antwerp now has a Flemish nationalist as city president

Quote:
View Post
During Franco, we weren't allowed to speak Galician is schools and government offices. I assume the same applied in the Basque Country and Catalunya with their own languages.
He only died in 1975. We've come a long way in civil liberties. To be brought back down to our knees by the current economy....
The current economy-crisis in Spain is a lousy thing, but I hope that Spain can overcome it. I have the impression that it primarily is a result of too much construction going on, and some business tycoons believing things could go on in that way on end.

I had been on vacation on Mallorca (Paguera) in 1968, in Madrid/Cordoba/Malaga/Granada/Tangiers/Valencia/Palma in 1972 and then after a long break in Barcelona in 2001. There in 2001 was a different country ! AND a far better country !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
German President Christian Wulff has announced his resignation jrspet International affairs/politics 0 17.02.2012 12:25
Fidel Castro resigns as Cuban President Natasha International affairs/politics 35 30.06.2009 14:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0