Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1381  
Old 04.02.2013, 21:51
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 978
Groaned at 58 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 951 Times in 474 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
Doesn't that just trample all over one of the other amendments, the absolute right to free speech? Piers Morgan may be a self-promoting tabloid hack, but at least he's apparently not going to be shut up by the NRA and their cronies, so I now have to accord him _some_ respect.
Its not what he has to say, but how he says it. making up facts, avoiding real facts and statistics at all costs and how he treats any guest who may disagree with him. In other words, he is a total duche bag and is the lead contender to steal the Gand Master douchbag title from Bill O'Reiley, which I thought would be impossible. Until I saw P.M.
Reply With Quote
  #1382  
Old 06.02.2013, 13:29
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins
Posts: 6,504
Groaned at 191 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 10,167 Times in 4,515 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
Its not what he has to say, but how he says it. making up facts, avoiding real facts and statistics at all costs and how he treats any guest who may disagree with him.
So, not like the pro-gun lobby at all then?
Reply With Quote
  #1383  
Old 07.02.2013, 09:55
Desert Rat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scottsdale, USA/Geneva CH
Posts: 713
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,733 Times in 510 Posts
Desert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

"There are 3 kinds of Lies;
Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics."
Mark Twain- 1906

"People on every side of every argument on the English Forum have been using statistics out of context since Wiki was invented"
Desert Rat- 2013
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Desert Rat for this useful post:
  #1384  
Old 07.02.2013, 16:53
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 978
Groaned at 58 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 951 Times in 474 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
So, not like the pro-gun lobby at all then?
Yeah I don't like them either.
Reply With Quote
  #1385  
Old 07.02.2013, 21:19
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 788
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,429 Times in 597 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
"There are 3 kinds of Lies;
Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics."
Mark Twain- 1906

"People on every side of every argument on the English Forum have been using statistics out of context since Wiki was invented"
Desert Rat- 2013
You can prove anything with statistics, but you can't prove anything without them

Me
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank FrankZappa for this useful post:
  #1386  
Old 19.02.2013, 18:03
prof. taratonga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zürich & Bignasco
Posts: 2,308
Groaned at 28 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 4,536 Times in 1,437 Posts
prof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Finally: Soap Bubble Guns banned in US Kindergarten
http://news.yahoo.com/pa-girl-back-c...124810659.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank prof. taratonga for this useful post:
  #1387  
Old 19.02.2013, 18:06
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 666
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 754 Times in 339 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
Finally: Soap Bubble Guns banned in US Kindergarten
http://news.yahoo.com/pa-girl-back-c...124810659.html
Well the problem is clearly that the Teacher did not have a sufficiently powerful bubble gun of her own to protect the class.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Homer for this useful post:
  #1388  
Old 19.02.2013, 18:12
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,577
Groaned at 178 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,756 Times in 3,155 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
Finally: Soap Bubble Guns banned in US Kindergarten
http://news.yahoo.com/pa-girl-back-c...124810659.html
The damed thing is "Pink" and this is the problem
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #1389  
Old 19.02.2013, 19:22
Rodica's children's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 118
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Rodica's children has earned some respectRodica's children has earned some respect
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
Because alcohol, nail guns, cars, smoking, fat food are all "self-inflicted deaths" or due to accidents...being shot down is neither self-inflicted nor an accident, you see the difference...?

You see, e.g. school shootings happens because some nut-cases are allowed to have guns...

So arming the whole population with a gun will not stop these kind of deeds..

I agree that making guns illegal will not solve the whole problem because there are very disturbed social factors involved and somehow guns are seen as the "problem solver".

But having gun control would help...I never understood why people are against gun control...
The impression that there is no gun control in all states of the US is wrong. Some states have a lot less than others and are more liberal, but all have some gun control. There are loopholes, like all regulations i.e. gun shows but these loopholes are being inspected. What is required is education about guns not knee jerk reactions.

"Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot"

I pint of horrible Cardinal lager to the first person to identify the film of that phrase.
Reply With Quote
  #1390  
Old 19.02.2013, 19:29
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
The impression that there is no gun control in all states of the US is wrong. Some states have a lot less than others and are more liberal, but all have some gun control. There are loopholes, like all regulations i.e. gun shows but these loopholes are being inspected. What is required is education about guns not knee jerk reactions.

"Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot"

I pint of horrible Cardinal lager to the first person to identify the film of that phrase.
Magnum Force?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jobsrobertsharpii for this useful post:
  #1391  
Old 19.02.2013, 19:31
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,737
Groaned at 360 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
"Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot"

I pint of horrible Cardinal lager to the first person to identify the film of that phrase.
Is that in a world where google doesn't exist?

So just to check on something:
The second amendment was written to ensure that the people of the country would be able to defend themselves either against an invading force or their own government.

If that is the case it raises a couple points:
1) Who decides where the line is between "armed" citizen and terrorist? And why?
2) Does that mean that we should ignore the same sentiment when applied to a third party state - for example Afghanistan?
Reply With Quote
  #1392  
Old 19.02.2013, 20:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Azztrick has become a little unpopularAzztrick has become a little unpopular
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
Its not what he has to say, but how he says it. making up facts, avoiding real facts and statistics at all costs and how he treats any guest who may disagree with him. In other words, he is a total duche bag and is the lead contender to steal the Gand Master douchbag title from Bill O'Reiley, which I thought would be impossible. Until I saw P.M.
Piers Morgan is the UK's (unwanted) gift to the US as part of the "special relationship". I just hope that the US is polite enough not to rewrap him and give him back as a cheap present next christmas.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Azztrick for this useful post:
  #1393  
Old 19.02.2013, 20:19
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
Is that in a world where google doesn't exist?

So just to check on something:
The second amendment was written to ensure that the people of the country would be able to defend themselves either against an invading force or their own government.

If that is the case it raises a couple points:
1) Who decides where the line is between "armed" citizen and terrorist? And why?
2) Does that mean that we should ignore the same sentiment when applied to a third party state - for example Afghanistan?
1) Not who- what. The simplest answer is the Law. Why? Because we believe in the rule of Law, not the rule of Man.

2) If that country chooses to codify and uphold this "sentiment" as a law, then no we shouldn't.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Jobsrobertsharpii for this post:
  #1394  
Old 28.02.2013, 18:31
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,045
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Just what the world really doesn't need to avoid new gun control measures.

Make your own AR15 and magazines ....
Reply With Quote
  #1395  
Old 28.02.2013, 18:55
Desert Rat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scottsdale, USA/Geneva CH
Posts: 713
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,733 Times in 510 Posts
Desert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

They chose something really controversial so that it would get picked up by the news services.

In one of my previous lives we did rapid prototyping of airplane parts with a similar process, but to think that you could actually make functioning components in a desktop environment is amazing.

If this technology becomes affordable, it will absolutely revolutionize the way a product is created and brought to market. Think about the innovation available when you could have every 8th grade science class in the country designing artificial heart valves or hip joints or improved toasters or whatever.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Desert Rat for this useful post:
  #1396  
Old 28.02.2013, 19:00
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,577
Groaned at 178 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,756 Times in 3,155 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
They chose something really controversial so that it would get picked up by the news services.

In one of my previous lives we did rapid prototyping of airplane parts with a similar process, but to think that you could actually make functioning components in a desktop environment is amazing.

If this technology becomes affordable, it will absolutely revolutionize the way a product is created and brought to market. Think about the innovation available when you could have every 8th grade science class in the country designing artificial heart valves or hip joints or improved toasters or whatever.
This calls for a 2 3/4 amendmendt
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #1397  
Old 02.03.2013, 09:09
Desert Rat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scottsdale, USA/Geneva CH
Posts: 713
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,733 Times in 510 Posts
Desert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

I posted a similar link yesterday, but it almost immediately got deleted because I didn't put it in this thread, sorry.

Anyway;

Two guys kick in the front door to a Dallas home and come inside. 21 year old girl home alone.

She shoots and kills one invader as he was coming up the stairs toward her. Police are still looking for the other one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-intruder.html
Reply With Quote
  #1398  
Old 02.03.2013, 09:17
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 4,004
Groaned at 110 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
I posted a similar link yesterday, but it almost immediately got deleted because I didn't put it in this thread, sorry.
True, it should have been here. This is where I like to contain the endless, never-changing, never-see-the-other-guy's-view, repetitious, stopped-being-interesting-10-pages-ago, irrelevant-to-the-forum discussion about gun control where the same people post the same stuff over, and over, and over again.

Were I more code-savvy, I'd install something which would not let people post here unless they had something to say that hadn't been said 5 times already. But in the meantime, yes.....post it here please. I'm sure it will move the debate on massively
Reply With Quote
  #1399  
Old 02.03.2013, 09:35
Desert Rat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scottsdale, USA/Geneva CH
Posts: 713
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,733 Times in 510 Posts
Desert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
True, it should have been here. This is where I like to contain the endless, never-changing, never-see-the-other-guy's-view, repetitious, stopped-being-interesting-10-pages-ago, irrelevant-to-the-forum discussion about gun control where the same people post the same stuff over, and over, and over again.

Were I more code-savvy, I'd install something which would not let people post here unless they had something to say that hadn't been said 5 times already. But in the meantime, yes.....post it here please. I'm sure it will move the debate on massively
? I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to offend or bore you.

How is this any more irrelevant to the forum than whether or not Nil should wear skinny jeans? Is it more repetitive than the 1 billionth post about how much salary in enough for an expat in zurich, or can I plug in my American laptop in CH?

I just though that it was an interesting counter point. For what it's worth, I tried to post yesterday and it disappeared, with no word from you or anyone else,so I assumed that maybe I had just made a mistake and deleted it by accident. I tried a couple of hours later and when you informed me that you were deleting the thread because it should have been a post here, I got up this morning and complied with your suggestions.

We all know that I have an opinion here, but I've always tried to be polite and open to discussion in everything that I've said. I never attack people personally, and frankly I expect a little better from you as well.

I'll shut up now.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Desert Rat for this useful post:
  #1400  
Old 02.03.2013, 09:47
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 4,004
Groaned at 110 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE US Gun Control & Second Amendment Thread

Quote:
View Post
? I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to offend or bore you.

How is this any more irrelevant to the forum than whether or not Nil should wear skinny jeans? Is it more repetitive than the 1 billionth post about how much salary in enough for an expat in zurich, or can I plug in my American laptop in CH?

I just though that it was an interesting counter point. For what it's worth, I tried to post yesterday and it disappeared, with no word from you or anyone else,so I assumed that maybe I had just made a mistake and deleted it by accident. I tried a couple of hours later and when you informed me that you were deleting the thread because it should have been a post here, I got up this morning and complied with your suggestions.

We all know that I have an opinion here, but I've always tried to be polite and open to discussion in everything that I've said. I never attack people personally, and frankly I expect a little better from you as well.

I'll shut up now.
It wasn't a personal attack on you. Its just a repetitious thread, that's all. And you are right, no less relevant than some other posts.

And sorry for the no reason delete, damn Tapatalk doesn't allow reasons to be added. Apologies
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Caviarchips for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
brown, darren wilson, ferguson, gun control, guns, kids, police, shooting range, usa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 2nd Amendment as explained by a Brit Sean Connery Other/general 126 07.12.2012 15:41
Gun import from the US DantesDame Other/general 4 04.12.2012 18:02
US Gun Control Laws Caviarchips International affairs/politics 179 20.08.2012 23:48
The US taking control of the Interwebz? Nelly_Da_Hefferlump International affairs/politics 4 14.10.2010 01:30
Washington Post story about gun control in Switzerland Bartholemew Swiss politics/news 39 23.05.2007 14:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0