Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.05.2013, 07:55
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zug, CH
Posts: 3,006
Groaned at 163 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 5,836 Times in 1,977 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22708711

Ok, I get that this was probably a little more thuggish than the IRS standard operating procedure, but it got me thinking. Do US citizens in Canada have to pay US taxes (e.g. is there any income level above the FEIE at which Canadian taxes are lower than US taxes)? Because if so, I don't see a lot of difference between paying taxes to fund the US military and paying taxes to fund the Eritrean military.

Anyone know which law they're referencing in the article when they say "It's against Canadian law"? Does it have to do with sanctions, in which case the above paragraph misses the point, or does it have something to do with dual taxation?
__________________
I'm likely typing from an iPad. Please disregard odd word usage.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 30.05.2013, 08:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,066
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 10,611 Times in 3,542 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22708711

Ok, I get that this was probably a little more thuggish than the IRS standard operating procedure, but it got me thinking. Do US citizens in Canada have to pay US taxes (e.g. is there any income level above the FEIE at which Canadian taxes are lower than US taxes)? Because if so, I don't see a lot of difference between paying taxes to fund the US military and paying taxes to fund the Eritrean military.

Anyone know which law they're referencing in the article when they say "It's against Canadian law"? Does it have to do with sanctions, in which case the above paragraph misses the point, or does it have something to do with dual taxation?
Main difference is that it is easier to bully Eritrea than US?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 30.05.2013, 08:33
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 15,240
Groaned at 190 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 11,100 Times in 6,322 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Yes, of course US citizens living in Canada have to pay taxes if they owe the US government. It's US law, you know that.

The article & press release don't say what Canadian law, but extortion comes to mind. This wasn't a tax by the Eritrean goverment though, it was a simple demand for citizens to pay up.

Of course, when I saw the article yesterday I immediately made the connection between the new $450 renunciation fee and what it's really funding.

Further comment from IBS
http://isaacbrocksociety.ca/2013/05/...mail/#comments

Last edited by Medea Fleecestealer; 30.05.2013 at 08:47. Reason: Added IBS link
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.05.2013, 09:54
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zug, CH
Posts: 3,006
Groaned at 163 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 5,836 Times in 1,977 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
Yes, of course US citizens living in Canada have to pay taxes if they owe the US government. It's US law, you know that.
That emphasized bit being the thrust of my query. Generally speaking, if income tax rates are higher in Canada than in the US, there is no tax liability and so it becomes a non-issue.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 30.05.2013, 11:08
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 15,240
Groaned at 190 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 11,100 Times in 6,322 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Except for the cost of filing in the first place. I doubt an Eritrean tax form ever runs over a hunded pages.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 30.05.2013, 11:31
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 19,774
Groaned at 1,005 Times in 785 Posts
Thanked 22,111 Times in 10,564 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
Except for the cost of filing in the first place. I doubt an Eritrean tax form ever runs over a hunded pages.
Indeed, one reason I dumped the US citizenship was that I was tired of filling out forms to show that I didn't owe them any money (and this was before FATCA).

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.05.2013, 11:59
M_McPoyle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ZG
Posts: 343
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,138 Times in 283 Posts
M_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

It was a racket. The Eritrean goverment was soliciting these "taxes" after being ordered to stop by the Canadian government. The money was being collected (in part at least) to fund the Eritrean military. As quoted in The National, "The scheme was considered illegal "because the UN Security Council imposed sanctions on the Eritrean military four years ago over its ties to armed groups in the Horn of Africa, notably Al-Shabab, a regional affiliate of al-Qaeda."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank M_McPoyle for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 30.05.2013, 12:14
M_McPoyle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ZG
Posts: 343
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,138 Times in 283 Posts
M_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

In addition, I read a few days back in a CBC news article that the Eritrian consular officials were using threats of a personal nature (ie. your family could come to harm) in collecting this money. One Eritrean expat actually went on the record (using his name, etc.) and recounted how they came back, time and time again, to solicit more money. I thought that was pretty brave of this fellow.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.10.2014, 16:00
MennoFloyd's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deutschschweiz
Posts: 292
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 420 Times in 193 Posts
MennoFloyd has become a little unpopularMennoFloyd has become a little unpopular
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

According to today's NZZ, there are more than 20,000 Eritreans registered in Switzerland, with 5,721 having applied for asylum so far in 2014:

http://www.nzz.ch/schweiz/mehr-eritr...-je-1.18407050

Eritrean citizens abroad must pay taxes on income earned outside of their homeland. The Swiss government should monitor whether the Eritrean consulates in Switzerland are coercing Eritreans here to pay these taxes and, if so, take appropriate actions to stop these unlawful practices, as did Canada.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.10.2014, 16:17
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 737
Groaned at 328 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 1,374 Times in 546 Posts
idefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of many
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
According to today's NZZ, there are more than 20,000 Eritreans registered in Switzerland, with 5,721 having applied for asylum so far in 2014:

http://www.nzz.ch/schweiz/mehr-eritr...-je-1.18407050

Eritrean citizens abroad must pay taxes on income earned outside of their homeland. The Swiss government should monitor whether the Eritrean consulates in Switzerland are coercing Eritreans here to pay these taxes and, if so, take appropriate actions to stop these unlawful practices, as did Canada.
What about the mighty US, should they stop these unlawful practices?

At least Eritrea is taxing its citizen at 2%, the US is however a lot a lot a lot more greedy!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank idefix for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 21.10.2014, 11:28
MennoFloyd's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deutschschweiz
Posts: 292
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 420 Times in 193 Posts
MennoFloyd has become a little unpopularMennoFloyd has become a little unpopular
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
What about the mighty US, should they stop these unlawful practices?

At least Eritrea is taxing its citizen at 2%, the US is however a lot a lot a lot more greedy!
In 2011, Susan Rice, the UN representative of the only other country that collects a diaspora tax from its citizens abroad, led the charge to condemn Eritrea for taxing its diaspora and using the proceeds to destabilize the Horn of Africa. UN Resolution 2023:

"10. Condemns the use of the ‘Diaspora tax’ on Eritrean diaspora by the Eritrean Government to destabilize the Horn of Africa region ....

11. Decides that Eritrea shall cease using extortion, threats of violence, fraud and other illicit means to collect taxes outside of Eritrea from its nationals or other individuals of Eritrean descent ...."

That just might be a case of the kettle calling the pot black.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.10.2014, 12:27
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 15,240
Groaned at 190 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 11,100 Times in 6,322 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
In 2011, Susan Rice, the UN representative of the only other country that collects a diaspora tax from its citizens abroad, led the charge to condemn Eritrea for taxing its diaspora and using the proceeds to destabilize the Horn of Africa. UN Resolution 2023:

"10. Condemns the use of the ‘Diaspora tax’ on Eritrean diaspora by the Eritrean Government to destabilize the Horn of Africa region ....

11. Decides that Eritrea shall cease using extortion, threats of violence, fraud and other illicit means to collect taxes outside of Eritrea from its nationals or other individuals of Eritrean descent ...."

That just might be a case of the kettle calling the pot black.
They've toned down the rhetoric as well over the last couple of years.

http://isaacbrocksociety.ca/2013/04/...rights-report/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05.08.2015, 12:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,685
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,962 Times in 956 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

The Aargauer Zeitung is reporting on the Eritrean Embassy's illegal collection of the diaspora tax. For Eritreans in Switzerland to obtain services from the embassy in Geneva, they must prove that they have paid the 2% diaspora tax, which is due on all forms of income, including social welfare. The Swiss federal authorities are aware of this illegal collection practice on Swiss territory but claim to lack sufficient proof to proceed against the embassy:

http://www.aargauerzeitung.ch/schwei...chen-129413779

There are 23,000 Eritreans in Switzerland of which 91% are on welfare. This means that the Swiss taxpayer is ultimately paying most of the Eritrean diaspora tax illegally collected in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 27.10.2015, 09:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,685
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,962 Times in 956 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Fedpol has issued a complaint ("Strafanzeige") against Eritrean tax collectors for collecting taxes from Eritrean citizens on Swiss sovereign territory, according to today's Tages-Anzeiger:

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz/...story/22297099
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 27.10.2015, 10:08
FunnyBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 562
Groaned at 31 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 824 Times in 374 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

As an US and Eritrea parallel, Americans have to sign papers with the banks that they are OK with their accounts info being sent (by the banks) to the IRS or they will be denied financial services. In the Eritrean case, the Eritrean Embassy is the reinforcer of the worldwide income tax compliance. Do Eritreans have an income threshold like the Americans (all of the $1200? source of level CIA page) before the tax is triggered?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FunnyBone for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 27.10.2015, 10:18
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 5,162
Groaned at 231 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 11,239 Times in 3,429 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
As an US and Eritrea parallel, Americans have to sign papers with the banks that they are OK with their accounts info being sent (by the banks) to the IRS or they will be denied financial services. In the Eritrean case, the Eritrean Embassy is the reinforcer of the worldwide income tax compliance. Do Eritreans have an income threshold like the Americans (all of the $1200? source of level CIA page) before the tax is triggered?
It's discrimination against Americans. The Bundesrat should have known better than to sign FATCA. Weicheier.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 27.10.2015, 10:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,685
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,962 Times in 956 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Eritreans residing abroad pay a 2% tax on all income earned, including welfare. The tax form used by the Eritrean Embassy in Washington DC is at this link:

http://www.embassyeritrea.org/consul...gibri_2012.pdf

Although the US Administration's Susan Rice led the charge to condemn Eritrea for its diaspora tax, it apparently continues to allow it to collect from its citizens in the US. It would be rather hypocritical if it claimed that the Eritrean tax was illegal while it collects from its own citizens abroad.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 27.10.2015, 10:23
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 5,162
Groaned at 231 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 11,239 Times in 3,429 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
Although the US Administration's Susan Rice led the charge to condemn Eritrea for its diaspora tax, it apparently continues to allow it to collect from its citizens in the US. It would be rather hypocritical if it claimed that the Eritrean tax was illegal while it collects from its own citizens abroad.
Or a brilliant strategy to initiate change and rectify the policy of financial discrimination against US citizens in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 27.10.2015, 11:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,685
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,962 Times in 956 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
As an US and Eritrea parallel, Americans have to sign papers with the banks that they are OK with their accounts info being sent (by the banks) to the IRS or they will be denied financial services. In the Eritrean case, the Eritrean Embassy is the reinforcer of the worldwide income tax compliance. Do Eritreans have an income threshold like the Americans (all of the $1200? source of level CIA page) before the tax is triggered?
A refugee costs Swiss taxpayers CHF 1'500 per month, or CHF 18'000 per year, according to 20 Minuten. Since Eritrea taxes its citizens abroad on all income, it would claim about CHF 360 per year in taxes from its refugees in Switzerland, with its taxes ultimately paid by the Swiss taxpayer.

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/24467345

Eritrea has progressive income tax rates ranging from 2% to 30% but I have not been able to locate a tax table. If we took a mid-rate of 16% and applied it to the average income of $1,200, this would yield the Eritrean government $192 from an Eritrean living in Eritrea.

If these refugees were unemployed in Eritrea and paying no income taxes there, it would obviously increase the Eritrean government's tax yield to encourage unemployed (and also average earning) citizens to emigrate to Europe/ Switzerland and obtain social welfare. Moreover, citizens abroad cost the home country nearly nothing since services are not provided abroad.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 27.10.2015, 12:06
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,714
Groaned at 225 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 17,359 Times in 6,324 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canada expels Eritrean envoy... for acting like the American government

Quote:
View Post
A refugee costs Swiss taxpayers CHF 1'500 per month, or CHF 18'000 per year, according to 20 Minuten. Since Eritrea taxes its citizens abroad on all income, it would claim about CHF 360 per year in taxes from its refugees in Switzerland, with its taxes ultimately paid by the Swiss taxpayer.

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/24467345

Eritrea has progressive income tax rates ranging from 2% to 30% but I have not been able to locate a tax table. If we took a mid-rate of 16% and applied it to the average income of $1,200, this would yield the Eritrean government $192 from an Eritrean living in Eritrea.

If these refugees were unemployed in Eritrea and paying no income taxes there, it would obviously increase the Eritrean government's tax yield to encourage unemployed (and also average earning) citizens to emigrate to Europe/ Switzerland and obtain social welfare. Moreover, citizens abroad cost the home country nearly nothing since services are not provided abroad.
I am sorry if I am quite direct: Do you have any idea why people flee from Eritrea? The government claims for decades to be in a state of emergency (because it feels threatened by the bigger and stronger neighbour Ethiopia). As a result did they introduce a military service. The difference to the Swiss one is that it is unlimited - so you can serve your country for your entire life... and it is not limited to actual army or security work. If you are a farmer is there a good chance that you do your farming as a "soldier" serving your local general who takes all the profits. It's essentially a completely defunct fascist state and normal salaries and tax tables don't exist anymore - people are slave-like forced labour.

Those men collecting the tax in Switzerland and elsewhere? They do not do so from Eritrean citizens who are happy to support the motherland - they extort it from refugees with threats of things that might happen to their family members back home.

The country is one of the worst places on the planet for a very long time now. Too bad that they don't have oil fields otherwise we would bring them democracy (TM).
__________________
4.5 room flat available from July or later: https://www.englishforum.ch/property...-wollerau.html

Last edited by Treverus; 27.10.2015 at 13:39.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't the the Swiss government fix the clocks in the F line buses? greengrass10 Complaints corner 53 19.03.2013 22:44
Why did you leave and come here? [American, Canada, U.K only] KingSam15 General off-topic 17 02.06.2011 17:25
Import American dog via Canada codepoet Pet corner 3 10.11.2009 23:24
Actors/Directors/Prop& Behind The Scenes/Drama/Acting Club [Zurich] NellyBelly Social events 37 29.06.2008 09:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:58.

Comparis

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0