Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6001  
Old 27.04.2022, 01:34
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,876
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,613 Times in 3,661 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
We will need to militarize. We, as in civilized Europe. I would welcome if Germany would enter a discussion with France and the UK for a joint nuclear defense scheme. Which of course means Germany, and maybe Poland and others, need to acquire nuclear arms. On top of a lot of conventional weapons.

Why? No way I count on the US protecting Europe by Jan 2025.
What??? Proliferation of nuclear weapons for everyone. That’s not gonna end up well and bring the world closer to the brink of destruction. Conventional weapons and lot of them, that’s fine.

I’m sure that Kim Jong would welcome the idea:
North Korea: Kim Jong-un vows to step up nuclear weapons programme https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61225675
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #6002  
Old 27.04.2022, 01:40
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,987
Groaned at 382 Times in 272 Posts
Thanked 8,441 Times in 3,601 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
What??? Proliferation of nuclear weapons for everyone. That’s not gonna end up well and bring the world closer to the brink of destruction. Conventional weapons and lot of them, that’s fine.

I’m sure that Kim Jong would welcome the idea:
North Korea: Kim Jong-un vows to step up nuclear weapons programme https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61225675

It is both, conventional and nuclear. And we are lacking both in Europe, including Switzerland. Build both, wisely. Don't count on the US. We are lucky this is not happening under motherf***ing Trump.
Reply With Quote
  #6003  
Old 27.04.2022, 04:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 587
Groaned at 101 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 1,509 Times in 780 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
We will need to militarize. We, as in civilized Europe. I would welcome if Germany would enter a discussion with France and the UK for a joint nuclear defense scheme. Which of course means Germany, and maybe Poland and others, need to acquire nuclear arms. On top of a lot of conventional weapons.

Why? No way I count on the US protecting Europe by Jan 2025.
Looks like the chances of a factual remake of the classic film, On The Beach ( based on a novel by Nevil Shute ) is gaining momentum this year.

On the beach film - 1959

On the beach film - 2000
Reply With Quote
  #6004  
Old 27.04.2022, 07:17
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,999
Groaned at 340 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 25,206 Times in 10,254 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
We will need to militarize. We, as in civilized Europe. I would welcome if Germany would enter a discussion with France and the UK for a joint nuclear defense scheme. Which of course means Germany, and maybe Poland and others, need to acquire nuclear arms. On top of a lot of conventional weapons.

Why? No way I count on the US protecting Europe by Jan 2025.
So you think that the nukes already in Germany, Belgium, NL, Italy and Turkey will be removed?
Reply With Quote
  #6005  
Old 27.04.2022, 07:26
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,577
Groaned at 232 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 10,340 Times in 4,031 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
We will need to militarize. We, as in civilized Europe. I would welcome if Germany would enter a discussion with France and the UK for a joint nuclear defense scheme. Which of course means Germany, and maybe Poland and others, need to acquire nuclear arms. On top of a lot of conventional weapons.

Why? No way I count on the US protecting Europe by Jan 2025.
Not sure that that is the right way, also I don´t think that America would allow a nuclear armed Europe not under American control.
Y`all need to watch "The day after," "Threads" and "Dead man´s letters" again. Tell me if you are so nuke happy after that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #6006  
Old 27.04.2022, 07:31
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,577
Groaned at 232 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 10,340 Times in 4,031 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
What??? Proliferation of nuclear weapons for everyone. That’s not gonna end up well and bring the world closer to the brink of destruction. Conventional weapons and lot of them, that’s fine.

I’m sure that Kim Jong would welcome the idea:
North Korea: Kim Jong-un vows to step up nuclear weapons programme https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61225675
Problem with weapons, conventional or otherwise, is that you need the human infrastructure to deal with them, that will lead to militarized societies as was prevalent up until the middle of 20th century.
History would repeat its self.
Reply With Quote
  #6007  
Old 27.04.2022, 07:44
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: transcended.
Posts: 180
Groaned at 231 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 857 Times in 366 Posts
vushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthy
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
If I feel threatened by a neighbour do I have the right to attack him with an axe just in case, because my delusions tell me he's planning something?
US won’t rule out military action if China establishes base in Solomon Islands

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...olomon-islands
Reply With Quote
  #6008  
Old 27.04.2022, 08:10
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,577
Groaned at 232 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 10,340 Times in 4,031 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
US won’t rule out military action if China establishes base in Solomon Islands

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...olomon-islands
At this point I start to ask myself if this is as far as humanity gets?
Is our civilization at the very end of it´s run and is the future not one of progress, but a slide to oblivion?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #6009  
Old 27.04.2022, 09:12
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,987
Groaned at 382 Times in 272 Posts
Thanked 8,441 Times in 3,601 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
US won’t rule out military action if China establishes base in Solomon Islands

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...olomon-islands
This sounds like one misleading headline. Basically the guy didn't say anything they could use, so they made up a headline about what he did not say.
Reply With Quote
  #6010  
Old 27.04.2022, 09:53
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 15,477
Groaned at 304 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 19,718 Times in 8,307 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
US won’t rule out military action if China establishes base in Solomon Islands

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...olomon-islands
it's telling that the US has been happy to dot bases all around china, but now at the mere hint of a base potentially being established on the solomon islands that there calls to prepare for war.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #6011  
Old 27.04.2022, 10:09
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,577
Groaned at 232 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 10,340 Times in 4,031 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
it's telling that the US has been happy to dot bases all around china, but now at the mere hint of a base potentially being established on the solomon islands that there calls to prepare for war.
If one takes a step back you see the staggering level of Anerican meddling in world affairs

Last edited by slammer; 27.04.2022 at 10:30.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #6012  
Old 27.04.2022, 10:35
Jeep Life's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: French Part of CH
Posts: 375
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 401 Times in 206 Posts
Jeep Life has earned the respect of manyJeep Life has earned the respect of manyJeep Life has earned the respect of many
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
it's telling that the US has been happy to dot bases all around china, but now at the mere hint of a base potentially being established on the solomon islands that there calls to prepare for war.
Quote:
View Post
If one takes a step back you see the staggering level of Anerican meddling in world affairs
Unfortunately many won't see it like that!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jeep Life for this useful post:
  #6013  
Old 27.04.2022, 10:53
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 5,294
Groaned at 103 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 7,743 Times in 3,635 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
At this point I start to ask myself if this is as far as humanity gets?
Is our civilization at the very end of it´s run and is the future not one of progress, but a slide to oblivion?
The end of the world is a hobby at least as old as written language. Maybe it's older but there's no evidence.

The end of the world is a lot of times just a projection of inner experiences to the world/universe, such an individual contemplating its own mortality. Fun thing is that teenagers doing this are regarded as pretentious and vane, while elder people is regarded as wise.

Back to Ukraine, war is much worse than finding new natural gas sources and having an energy crisis in the meantime.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #6014  
Old 27.04.2022, 10:54
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 15,477
Groaned at 304 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 19,718 Times in 8,307 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
If one takes a step back you see the staggering level of Anerican meddling in world affairs
i guess that's the prerogative of the world's only superpower.

i think the events of the last few years can be viewed as a battle between the US maintaining its role as global hegemon in a unipolar world versus the growth of china and its attempt to assert its place as a regional hegemon in a newly restructured multipolar world.

russia and ukraine then being something of a sideshow with russia trying to maintain some regional influence. but maybe it has woken up the EU to reinvent itself not just as merely an economic superpower in europe, but perhaps also a military one.

people are studying thucydides again with good reason.
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #6015  
Old 27.04.2022, 10:57
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: https://youtu.be/JAJbqL2IMm8
Posts: 3,594
Groaned at 81 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 3,677 Times in 1,929 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
At this point I start to ask myself if this is as far as humanity gets?
Is our civilization at the very end of it´s run and is the future not one of progress, but a slide to oblivion?
It's only politics! Were you never in kindergarten?
Reply With Quote
  #6016  
Old 27.04.2022, 11:12
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 5,294
Groaned at 103 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 7,743 Times in 3,635 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
people are studying thucydides again with good reason.
Or the Gorvachev, Yeltsin, and Bush dad interactions.

Bush dad presidency was passive publicly, supported Gorbachev publicly during some rough years just before USSR collapse and only showed public support to Yeltsin until the Russians have sorted that out themselves. No surprise the US is being reactive, AKA "not doing enough", once again.

It would be very interesting to know what's being discussed now in Azerbaijan and all the other ex-USSR countries ending in "stan". Are they worried about being invaded by Putin too?
Reply With Quote
  #6017  
Old 27.04.2022, 11:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.ZH
Posts: 11,930
Groaned at 471 Times in 387 Posts
Thanked 18,670 Times in 9,447 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
The Tehran Times ...
What slammer reads apart from Pravda, RT etc.

Quote:
View Post
Or the Gorvachev, Yeltsin, and Bush dad interactions.

Bush dad presidency was passive publicly, supported Gorbachev publicly during some rough years just before USSR collapse and only showed public support to Yeltsin until the Russians have sorted that out themselves. No surprise the US is being reactive, AKA "not doing enough", once again.

It would be very interesting to know what's being discussed now in Azerbaijan and all the other ex-USSR countries ending in "stan". Are they worried about being invaded by Putin too?
Russia never left those -stans, they always had pro-Russia Govs and a strong Russian minority and in state functions.
Russia also created open conflicts areas in Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Azerbaijan etc etc

What, did you think they were....independent? lol
Just wait and see if they change a pro-Russia government how they'll react....quickly inventing how Russian minority is oppressed (laughable, as Russian minority has a very special and above everyone else status) and let's invade and kill all those "nazis"....
Pattern.

Did anyone mention Russia's meddling in world affairs? Lending money to Marine Le Pen for instance? Brexit? Tump? etc etc etc

No? Why?
Are you all blind? Or just....payed?

Last edited by greenmount; 27.04.2022 at 11:41.
Reply With Quote
  #6018  
Old 27.04.2022, 11:46
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 5,294
Groaned at 103 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 7,743 Times in 3,635 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Russia never left those -stans, they always had pro-Russia Govs and a strong Russian minority and in state functions.
Russia also created open conflicts areas in Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Azerbaijan etc etc

What, did you think they were....independent? lol
Just wait and see if they change a pro-Russia government how they'll react....quickly inventing how Russian minority is oppressed (laughable, as Russian minority has a very special and above everyone else status) and let's invade and kill all those "nazis"....
Pattern.

Did anyone mention Russia's meddling in world affairs? Lending money to Marine Le Pen for instance? etc etc etc

No? Why?
Are you all blind? Or just....payed?
Indeed, they are not independent. Yes, when natural gas started flowing from Azerbaijan to Turkey/Greece on 2020 a war started conveniently close to the pipe. Closer to my area of specialty, there was always a theory that all the opposition against fracking/shale gas had some blessings from Russia, but no concrete evidence.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is whispering in the ears of people about being the new Saudi Arabia. The English somehow managed to convince the guys on the Arab Peninsula to go against Turkey, and they're not going that bad a century later.
Reply With Quote
  #6019  
Old 27.04.2022, 11:53
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: https://youtu.be/JAJbqL2IMm8
Posts: 3,594
Groaned at 81 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 3,677 Times in 1,929 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Not a good time to be an Oligarch
https://www.lematin.ch/story/serie-d...s-257308575318
Reply With Quote
  #6020  
Old 27.04.2022, 12:10
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,577
Groaned at 232 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 10,340 Times in 4,031 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
What slammer reads apart from Pravda, RT ?
I also read „Völkischer Beobachter“ but they stopped printing for some reason….😘

Of course Russia meddles, they all do. That is not the point.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crimea, russia, ukraine




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jewish Refugees in Switzerland during World War II zanskar International affairs/politics 48 16.06.2010 16:58
Book about Switzerland in the second world war [recommendation?] telandy Other/general 14 18.06.2007 21:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0