Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #7501  
Old 17.09.2022, 22:17
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Geneva
Posts: 46
Groaned at 49 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 24 Posts
michaelglavinci is considered a nuisancemichaelglavinci is considered a nuisancemichaelglavinci is considered a nuisance
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Ukraine's air defences are now very good so have better than a 50% chance of downing an incoming nuclear device, hopefully not crashing it on Russian occupied territory.
where do u hope it will crush?


Quote:
View Post
I posted months ago that Russia pulled its peacekeeping forces out of Armenia to reinforce its Ukraine forces.

Consequently, Russia broke the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh ceasefire agreement where it pledged to keep peacemaking forces of the Russian Federation deployed for five years, a term to be automatically extended for subsequent five-year terms unless either Party notifies about its intention to terminate this clause six months before the expiration of the current term.

This is not the first time hostilities have broken out due to this lack of Russian peacekeepers and probably not the last time.

Why would we see giant Armenian flags in the major cities? Firstly it is just another Russian failure, made worse while Russia does not have enough reserves to replace the peacekeepers. Secondly, it is not clear which side was the aggressor.

Happy to enlighten my younger colleague.
so now it is a problem when Russians are out? make up your mind, you want them or not?

And why do you see giant Swiss flags in every Swiss village, let alone major cities?



Quote:
View Post
Interesting, sounds a bit like Crimea
exactly!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at michaelglavinci for this post:
  #7502  
Old 18.09.2022, 08:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.ZH
Posts: 11,699
Groaned at 441 Times in 362 Posts
Thanked 18,052 Times in 9,120 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
you hope Russians love their children, too?
Probably, but only theirs.

War in Ukraine has left nearly 1,000 children killed or injured (that was in August)

https://www.unicef.org/press-release...led-or-injured

If anyone from Russia's vocal supporters on Ef can explain in which parallel universe was this ever necessary......and don't start with but in Yemen is worse (you know who you are) and other whataboutisms and how much you hate Ukrainians who "made this happen" and other cretinisms.


Quote:
View Post
You mean yourself? You wanted out of EF and are back again?
Oh yeah, and you mods tolerate it..I mean you tolerate this!

Quote:
View Post

not sure it is Moscow that will be wiped off... cant say that for some posters here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
This user groans at greenmount for this post:
  #7503  
Old 18.09.2022, 09:08
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,665
Groaned at 327 Times in 280 Posts
Thanked 24,485 Times in 9,960 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
you hope Russians love their children, too?
Given the kidnapping of Ukrainian children and putting them "up for adoption" (an old ploy from the Soviet era - confiscating children of problematic people and putting them in hell-hole orphanages), it seems the Russians want to love everyone's children.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #7504  
Old 18.09.2022, 09:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.ZH
Posts: 11,699
Groaned at 441 Times in 362 Posts
Thanked 18,052 Times in 9,120 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine...ping-children/

Quote:
Khmelnytskyi, Ukraine — As the war in Ukraine grinds on the government in Kyiv is accusing Russia of kidnapping thousands of children and taking them into Russian-controlled territory. Ukraine says Russia is trying to force the children to become Russian, but as CBS News correspondent Chris Livesay found out, there are people working to rescue the kids and bring them home.
Reply With Quote
  #7505  
Old 18.09.2022, 10:54
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: transcended.
Posts: 166
Groaned at 204 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 717 Times in 294 Posts
vushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthy
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
If anyone from Russia's vocal supporters on Ef can explain in which parallel universe was this ever necessary......and don't start with but in Yemen is worse (you know who you are) and other whataboutisms and how much you hate Ukrainians who "made this happen" and other cretinisms.
i can't speak for anyone else but i have no problem with ukrainians. i feel sorry for them, especially the ones who still don't realise they are effectively fighting a proxy war for the west.

and yes, when children become victims its always horrible. unfortunately this is probably compounded by the fact that the ukrainian military were putting their own citizens at risk by setting up positions close to residential areas, schools and hospitals.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at vushka for this post:
  #7506  
Old 18.09.2022, 11:02
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 106
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 99 Posts
Excad is considered knowledgeableExcad is considered knowledgeableExcad is considered knowledgeable
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
i can't speak for anyone else but i have no problem with ukrainians. i feel sorry for them, especially the ones who still don't realise they are effectively fighting a proxy war for the west.

and yes, when children become victims its always horrible. unfortunately this is probably compounded by the fact that the ukrainian military were putting their own citizens at risk by setting up positions close to residential areas, schools and hospitals.
Why is it a proxy war? Russia wanted to invade NATO country, but accidentally invaded Ukraine?
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Excad for this useful post:
  #7507  
Old 18.09.2022, 11:03
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: ZH & BS
Posts: 166
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 616 Times in 231 Posts
ShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post

and yes, when children become victims its always horrible. unfortunately this is probably compounded by the fact that the ukrainian military were putting their own citizens at risk by setting up positions close to residential areas, schools and hospitals.
That sounds like it’s straight out of the Bumper Book of Putin’s Propaganda. “Tell them (without any evidence) that the UA military is setting up next to homes, schools and hospitals and we can shell them with impunity.”
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ShirleyNot for this useful post:
  #7508  
Old 18.09.2022, 11:04
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: transcended.
Posts: 166
Groaned at 204 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 717 Times in 294 Posts
vushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthy
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
That sounds like it’s straight out of the Bumper Book of Putin’s Propaganda. “Tell them (without any evidence) that the UA military is setting up next to homes, schools and hospitals and we can shell them with impunity.”
amnesty international too
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...ger-civilians/

(maybe try sticking to topics you have a clue about sweety)
Reply With Quote
  #7509  
Old 18.09.2022, 11:05
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,710
Groaned at 349 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,248 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
i can't speak for anyone else but i have no problem with ukrainians. i feel sorry for them, especially the ones who still don't realise they are effectively fighting a proxy war for the west.

and yes, when children become victims its always horrible. unfortunately this is probably compounded by the fact that the ukrainian military were putting their own citizens at risk by setting up positions close to residential areas, schools and hospitals.
You are a revolting troll who relishes other people's pain.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #7510  
Old 18.09.2022, 11:55
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Geneva
Posts: 46
Groaned at 49 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 24 Posts
michaelglavinci is considered a nuisancemichaelglavinci is considered a nuisancemichaelglavinci is considered a nuisance
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Probably, but only theirs.
Sting says Hello.

Unlike Americans who love children all over the world (nb: well, some of them surely do)?

Watch: Madeleine Albright Saying Iraqi Kids' Deaths 'Worth It' Resurfaces

https://www.newsweek.com/watch-madel...rfaces-1691193

Cant deny the fact that the biggest number of Ukrainian refugees have gone - guess to where, not to Poland, not to Switzerland, but... Russia...

speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at michaelglavinci for this post:
  #7511  
Old 18.09.2022, 12:01
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Geneva
Posts: 46
Groaned at 49 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 24 Posts
michaelglavinci is considered a nuisancemichaelglavinci is considered a nuisancemichaelglavinci is considered a nuisance
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
That sounds like it’s straight out of the Bumper Book of Putin’s Propaganda. “Tell them (without any evidence) that the UA military is setting up next to homes, schools and hospitals and we can shell them with impunity.”

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/publica...to-bring-peace

On March 24, 1999, NATO attacked Serbia and bombed it for two and half months. Around two thousand civilians were killed - a figure most often quoted locally and probably realistic. ...

The material damages are between thirty and fifty billion dollars. As a result, Serbia, which had been poor, became even poorer, unemployment increased and wages decreased.

Milosevic's regime claimed that NATO killed civilians intentionally. For its part, NATO defended itself by stating that these were "collateral damages." The truth was somewhere in the middle...

... - due to Western public opinion, NATO planners had to show concern that there be no large-scale civilian casualties, but they did not make a major effort to decrease civilian casualties as much as possible. The pilots were, for example, allowed to drop bombs, both "smart' and "dumb," from great heights on targets which were not clearly visible.

Inflicting "moderate" suffering on the civilian population suited NATO planners - the suffering would be used to break the population's will to resist and force it to rise up against Milosevic. This is also the reason behind the selection of targets without any military significance: factories producing cigarettes, cars, vacuum cleaners, artificial fertilizers, or state and military buildings which are primarily administrative and representative buildings, rather than command centers. Without any justification or rationale, NATO bombs also destroyed bridges in Novi Sad, the capital of Vojvodina, and an important cultural center often referred to as the "Serbian Athens."
Reply With Quote
  #7512  
Old 18.09.2022, 12:07
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: ZH & BS
Posts: 166
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 616 Times in 231 Posts
ShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyNot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
https://www.wilsoncenter.org/publica...to-bring-peace

On March 24, 1999, NATO attacked Serbia and bombed it for two and half months. Around two thousand civilians were killed - a figure most often quoted locally and probably realistic. ...

The material damages are between thirty and fifty billion dollars. As a result, Serbia, which had been poor, became even poorer, unemployment increased and wages decreased.

Milosevic's regime claimed that NATO killed civilians intentionally. For its part, NATO defended itself by stating that these were "collateral damages." The truth was somewhere in the middle...

... - due to Western public opinion, NATO planners had to show concern that there be no large-scale civilian casualties, but they did not make a major effort to decrease civilian casualties as much as possible. The pilots were, for example, allowed to drop bombs, both "smart' and "dumb," from great heights on targets which were not clearly visible.

Inflicting "moderate" suffering on the civilian population suited NATO planners - the suffering would be used to break the population's will to resist and force it to rise up against Milosevic. This is also the reason behind the selection of targets without any military significance: factories producing cigarettes, cars, vacuum cleaners, artificial fertilizers, or state and military buildings which are primarily administrative and representative buildings, rather than command centers. Without any justification or rationale, NATO bombs also destroyed bridges in Novi Sad, the capital of Vojvodina, and an important cultural center often referred to as the "Serbian Athens."
Either you posted on the wrong thread or you just brought in an early entry for “Whataboutary of the day”.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank ShirleyNot for this useful post:
This user groans at ShirleyNot for this post:
  #7513  
Old 18.09.2022, 12:12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
sinivali has earned some respectsinivali has earned some respect
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Cant deny the fact that the biggest number of Ukrainian refugees have gone - guess to where, not to Poland, not to Switzerland, but... Russia...

speaks for itself.
Might it have anything to do with the facts that the Russian invaders only allowed people in the territories they occupied to go to Russia and not other parts of Ukraine? Or the fact that Russia has detained hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of Ukrainians and forcibly deported them to camps in Russia? I wonder.. And those are the 'lucky' ones who weren't just summarily executed for being too 'pro-Ukrainian'
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank sinivali for this useful post:
  #7514  
Old 18.09.2022, 12:13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: transcended.
Posts: 166
Groaned at 204 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 717 Times in 294 Posts
vushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthyvushka is considered unworthy
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
You are a revolting troll who relishes other people's pain.
im just a realist. you're the guy that's been celebrating violence and pain - as long as its against russian people.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vushka for this useful post:
  #7515  
Old 18.09.2022, 13:18
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Geneva
Posts: 46
Groaned at 49 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 24 Posts
michaelglavinci is considered a nuisancemichaelglavinci is considered a nuisancemichaelglavinci is considered a nuisance
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Might it have anything to do with the facts that the Russian invaders only allowed people in the territories they occupied to go to Russia and not other parts of Ukraine? Or the fact that Russia has detained hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of Ukrainians and forcibly deported them to camps in Russia? I wonder.. And those are the 'lucky' ones who weren't just summarily executed for being too 'pro-Ukrainian'
keep wondering.
Reply With Quote
  #7516  
Old 18.09.2022, 13:40
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,710
Groaned at 349 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,248 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
im just a realist. you're the guy that's been celebrating violence and pain - as long as its against russian people.
If by "violence" you mean Ukraine's self-defense, and by "Russian people" you mean the murderous, rapist and looting thugs that make up the Russian army - yes!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #7517  
Old 18.09.2022, 13:51
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,114
Groaned at 652 Times in 552 Posts
Thanked 22,899 Times in 12,014 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
amnesty international too
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...ger-civilians/

(maybe try sticking to topics you have a clue about sweety)
You missed this quote from Amnesty International
Quote:
UKRAINE: RUSSIAN FORCES MUST FACE JUSTICE FOR WAR CRIMES IN KYIV OBLAST

“The pattern of crimes committed by Russian forces that we have documented includes both unlawful attacks and wilful killings of civilians,” said Agnès Callamard, Amnesty International’s Secretary General
Maybe you should take your own advice about "sticking to topics you have a clue about" daddy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #7518  
Old 18.09.2022, 15:53
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,114
Groaned at 652 Times in 552 Posts
Thanked 22,899 Times in 12,014 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Apparently an official document by the ministry of finance confirms the death (not including other losses like wounded or missing according to the Youtuber) of more than 48k Russian soldiers (by August 24?). Perhaps a Russian speaker can summarize?

https://youtu.be/Lyf3t2BgvPs?t=904
Likely this is a genuine document but probably not so simple to calculate the number of deaths.

Corruption is endemic in Russia so maybe the number of payments was exaggerated to get more money to steal.

On the other hand, many soldier's families are complaining about the excuses given for not being paid so maybe there were more deaths than the payments listed.

Anyway 48K+ is probably as good a number as any.

Edit: Presumably 48K+ is only the number of official Russian dead soldiers. Whether that number includes LHR, DPR battalions, Chechens, mercenaries(Wagner) and Russian volunteers is a good question.

Last edited by marton; 18.09.2022 at 16:13.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #7519  
Old 18.09.2022, 17:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Espace Mittleland
Posts: 12
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Okosmbaer is considered unworthyOkosmbaer is considered unworthyOkosmbaer is considered unworthy
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

All,

I read the last few pages of posts of this thread. Please try to stay within the topic (the unjust war in Ukraine), avoid personal attacks. Do not troll. Provide a valid source.

IMHO, the following posters are the most objective and always worth reading with regards of what's happening in Ukraine (Factual grade 80% and more):

Slammer, Urs Max, NotAllThere, Phil_MCR, roegner, k_and_e, Axa.


The following posters are partially objective (Factual grade 60 - 80%):

kiwiguy08, komsomolez, TonyClifton.

The rest of you shall stop beating around the bush: your posts are often repetitive, off topics, with many contradictions, containing dubious links and a tendency to engage in more opinionated writing. Such posts are only eating bandwidth and increase cloud clutter and waste.


NB: Only posters who posted more than 10 posts are taken into accounts.


Have a wonderful evening and God Bless! And please pray for Ukraine!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Okosmbaer for this useful post:
  #7520  
Old 18.09.2022, 17:37
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,710
Groaned at 349 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,248 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
All,

I read the last few pages of posts of this thread. Please try to stay within the topic (the unjust war in Ukraine), avoid personal attacks. Do not troll. Provide a valid source.

IMHO, the following posters are the most objective and always worth reading with regards of what's happening in Ukraine (Factual grade 80% and more):

Slammer, Urs Max, NotAllThere, Phil_MCR, roegner, k_and_e, Axa.


The following posters are partially objective (Factual grade 60 - 80%):

kiwiguy08, komsomolez, TonyClifton.

The rest of you shall stop beating around the bush: your posts are often repetitive, off topics, with many contradictions, containing dubious links and a tendency to engage in more opinionated writing. Such posts are only eating bandwidth and increase cloud clutter and waste.


NB: Only posters who posted more than 10 posts are taken into accounts.


Have a wonderful evening and God Bless! And please pray for Ukraine!
LOL. And who the f--- are you?
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
crimea, russia, ukraine




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jewish Refugees in Switzerland during World War II zanskar International affairs/politics 48 16.06.2010 16:58
Book about Switzerland in the second world war [recommendation?] telandy Other/general 14 18.06.2007 21:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0