Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #941  
Old 24.09.2014, 18:18
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,790
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,692 Times in 11,389 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

More pressure on Armenia to be less "Western"
http://www.armenialiberty.org/conten.../26602633.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #942  
Old 24.09.2014, 21:49
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
More pressure on Armenia to be less "Western"
http://www.armenialiberty.org/conten.../26602633.html

this ex ambassador apparently is ignorant of the Armenian Diaspora in Beirut and Paris and London
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #943  
Old 25.09.2014, 21:46
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,790
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,692 Times in 11,389 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Putin seems determined to be aggressive and force a confrontation in an area which is not really his business, pity when Europe has been peaceful for so long.
Quote from today's papers ; "Putin demands EU-Ukraine pact rewrite.
Vladimir Putin has demanded a reopening of the EU's recently-ratified trade pact with Ukraine and has threatened “immediate and appropriate retaliatory measures” if Kiev moves to implement any parts of the deal, according to a letter the Russian president sent to the EU president
."
Reply With Quote
  #944  
Old 28.09.2014, 22:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 115 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 1,624 Times in 911 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Off topic - about kleptocracy in Russia - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/wo...s-friend-.html
Reply With Quote
  #945  
Old 29.09.2014, 01:01
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,790
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,692 Times in 11,389 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Seems the British aircraft flew home after failing to find their targets
Reply With Quote
  #946  
Old 29.09.2014, 05:21
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Seems the British aircraft flew home after failing to find their targets

Mr Cameron possibly just wants peace in our time
Reply With Quote
  #947  
Old 02.10.2014, 23:20
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 795 Times in 450 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Double strike from Bloomberg yesterday and today:

1. Putin Reserve Rubles Vanish in Crimea Grab
2. Putin Rules Out Capital Controls as Russian Outflows Grow


I am not sure if it is already the time, but in any case at some point Russians will have to face the reality of what they did.
I defended the right of Crimea to decide to join Russia, however my deepest hopes was that all this would create problems for Putin and his pals.
Even if the smart Russias have already fled or are fleeing the country, even if the ones to stay are the ones who can easily be manipulated and believe the promises for a new Great Russia, at some point if they can't find food to eat they may start thinking.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
  #948  
Old 03.10.2014, 07:30
leonie
 
Posts: n/a
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Double strike from Bloomberg yesterday and today:

1. Putin Reserve Rubles Vanish in Crimea Grab
2. Putin Rules Out Capital Controls as Russian Outflows Grow


I am not sure if it is already the time, but in any case at some point Russians will have to face the reality of what they did.
I defended the right of Crimea to decide to join Russia, however my deepest hopes was that all this would create problems for Putin and his pals.
Even if the smart Russias have already fled or are fleeing the country, even if the ones to stay are the ones who can easily be manipulated and believe the promises for a new Great Russia, at some point if they can't find food to eat they may start thinking.
So your deepest hopes is that at some point the Russians have no food to eat and go hungry, and because of this they create problems for Putin? Nice
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #949  
Old 03.10.2014, 07:46
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,823
Groaned at 267 Times in 226 Posts
Thanked 23,502 Times in 9,600 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...killed-ukraine

A Swiss Red Cross worker was killed by shelling in Ukraine yesterday.

He was a 38 year old ( which is middle aged according to the Guardian) from Neuchatel.

Another report from 'The Local'.

http://www.thelocal.ch/20141002/swis...led-in-ukraine
Reply With Quote
  #950  
Old 03.10.2014, 09:36
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 795 Times in 450 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
So your deepest hopes is that at some point the Russians have no food to eat and go hungry, and because of this they create problems for Putin? Nice
Yes and they also flee to Europe where we civilize them.
See recent laws against "homosexual propaganda", how the population supports banning a gay pride or other events, how they support the attacks on gay people.
See how many prominent retarded Russians (Isinbayeva, the idiot from that stupid duet group, etc) say thinks like "I want my son to be a man, not a fag" or like "we Russians are normal people, you know a boy with a girl".
They deserve to suffer under Putin while dreaming they are still a super power.
Reply With Quote
  #951  
Old 03.10.2014, 10:11
leonie
 
Posts: n/a
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Yes and they also flee to Europe where we civilize them.
See recent laws against "homosexual propaganda", how the population supports banning a gay pride or other events, how they support the attacks on gay people.
See how many prominent retarded Russians (Isinbayeva, the idiot from that stupid duet group, etc) say thinks like "I want my son to be a man, not a fag" or like "we Russians are normal people, you know a boy with a girl".
They deserve to suffer under Putin while dreaming they are still a super power.
Innocent people don't deserve to suffer under anybody. How can you wish to inflict suffering on the whole nation?
And yes, they are a superpower and they know it
Reply With Quote
  #952  
Old 03.10.2014, 10:30
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 626
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 795 Times in 450 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Innocent people don't deserve to suffer under anybody. How can you wish to inflict suffering on the whole nation?
And yes, they are a superpower and they know it
They deserve to suffer as long as they keep voting for him.
If he had not been democratically elected I would definitely feel sorry for the Russian people.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
  #953  
Old 03.10.2014, 12:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 115 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 1,624 Times in 911 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
If he had not been democratically elected ...

That's the irony at its best.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank yacek for this useful post:
  #954  
Old 03.10.2014, 16:01
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,790
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,692 Times in 11,389 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
Innocent people don't deserve to suffer under anybody. How can you wish to inflict suffering on the whole nation?
And yes, they are a superpower and they know it
Superpower? Soviet Union was a superpower. Russia is not, these days they even have to buy their warships from the West. Their currency and economy is crashing down.

As was posted earlier, around 80% of global trade is done in US$, about 1.4% in Swiss francs and 0.4% in Rubles, even China manages around 1.4%.
Reply With Quote
  #955  
Old 03.10.2014, 18:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
They deserve to suffer as long as they keep voting for him.
From where you stand, it is a fair point of view. However, complaining about suffering is the last thing on Russian people's agenda. The national culture and identity is more important to them than anything else. There are exactly like the Americans in that sense, with the huge deference that suffering is second nature to Russians, whereas liberal self-empowerment is second nature to Americans.

What makes people leave Russia at the moment (and go to Latvia, Germany and a couple more popular places) is not their suffering but the lack of opportunity for a foreseeable career beyond short terms jobs when you don't have the right contacts. Young French people leave France for the same reason, btw, including me when I was 20. At least the Russians and Ukrainians I know in Germany all did. Perhaps a particular group and one can't generalize, I don't know...
__________________
Es wird nichts ausgelassen, um mich hier herauszuekeln. Ein Lehrbuch. False accusations and attacks continue. There is no stopping righteous people when they are wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #956  
Old 04.10.2014, 09:23
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
From where you stand, it is a fair point of view. However, complaining about suffering is the last thing on Russian people's agenda. The national culture and identity is more important to them than anything else. There are exactly like the Americans in that sense, with the huge deference that suffering is second nature to Russians, whereas liberal self-empowerment is second nature to Americans.

What makes people leave Russia at the moment (and go to Latvia, Germany and a couple more popular places) is not their suffering but the lack of opportunity for a foreseeable career beyond short terms jobs when you don't have the right contacts. Young French people leave France for the same reason, btw, including me when I was 20. At least the Russians and Ukrainians I know in Germany all did. Perhaps a particular group and one can't generalize, I don't know...

While Russia of course is NOT a superpower at present, it is miles away from starving. Russia not only has its own agricultural production but countries like Switzerland, Turkey and India still sell stuff to Russia. Sure, many things have become more expensive. Interesting is to see that the Russian Aerospace Industry gets government support of billions of CHF now to upgrade Russian built civil airplanes, and there will be a production facility to produce Tupolev 204 under licence in Iran.


What is the value of sanctions of EU and USA ? Psychological mainly as they hit the upper nomenclatura


************************************************** ************************************


Quote:
View Post
Superpower? Soviet Union was a superpower. Russia is not, these days they even have to buy their warships from the West. Their currency and economy is crashing down.

As was posted earlier, around 80% of global trade is done in US$, about 1.4% in Swiss francs and 0.4% in Rubles, even China manages around 1.4%.


Most of the foreign trade of Russia is done in US$ CHF GB£ EUR etc and NOT in Rubles


************************************************** ********************************


btw., REAL Emmentaler cheese still is on the market in Russia, while the German FAKE "Emmentaler" is out of the market
Reply With Quote
  #957  
Old 04.10.2014, 14:40
leonie
 
Posts: n/a
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
From where you stand, it is a fair point of view. However, complaining about suffering is the last thing on Russian people's agenda. The national culture and identity is more important to them than anything else. There are exactly like the Americans in that sense, with the huge deference that suffering is second nature to Russians, whereas liberal self-empowerment is second nature to Americans.

What makes people leave Russia at the moment (and go to Latvia, Germany and a couple more popular places) is not their suffering but the lack of opportunity for a foreseeable career beyond short terms jobs when you don't have the right contacts. Young French people leave France for the same reason, btw, including me when I was 20. At least the Russians and Ukrainians I know in Germany all did. Perhaps a particular group and one can't generalize, I don't know...
Suffering might seem like the second nature to Russians but the thing is -- they don't like to suffer, just like any other being And they know exactly what is better for them. In the 90s the situation in Russia was very bad, but the drunk Boris Yeltsin was the sweetheart of the West. With Putin the life of the Russian people became much better -- this is why he is so popular. And what their alternatives to Putin would be, really? Try to follow others into EU -- what for, to get looted again like in the 90s and soon become another Greece? The corruption in EU is breathtaken (it costs the EU economy at least 120 bn euros annually), the governments are bankrupt. I don't think this is more attractive to Russians than more independent and rich country under Putin.
Reply With Quote
  #958  
Old 04.10.2014, 15:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 115 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 1,624 Times in 911 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Dream on.
Reply With Quote
  #959  
Old 06.10.2014, 00:11
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 76 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
And what their alternatives to Putin would be, really? Try to follow others into EU -- what for, to get looted again like in the 90s and soon become another Greece?
"Get looted again like in the 90's"? As I recall, the (Western-backed) IMF poured billions into Russia to keep it from collapsing. But instead of the money being distributed, it was pocked by a select few who bailed out for other countries. Russian "new-rich" were all over the place in the late 90's/early 2000's. How did the EU "loot" Russia exactly? I think Russians looted the IMF at the expense of their own country.

As for corruption, Russia and Ukraine both have it on an industrial scale, from the top to the bottom, not even close to any EU country. Even Greece at least tried to spend their bail out money to try to fix their problems, and didn't just grab the money and run like Russians did in the 90's.


In other news, Germany is sending 100 trucks of aid to East Ukraine, and possibly up to 200 soldiers to protect OSCE observers:
http://www.dw.de/germany-ponders-tro...ion/a-17973935
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #960  
Old 06.10.2014, 03:17
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: World War 3 or just a local spat in Ukraine?

Quote:
View Post
"Get looted again like in the 90's"? As I recall, the (Western-backed) IMF poured billions into Russia to keep it from collapsing. But instead of the money being distributed, it was pocked by a select few who bailed out for other countries. Russian "new-rich" were all over the place in the late 90's/early 2000's. How did the EU "loot" Russia exactly? I think Russians looted the IMF at the expense of their own country.

As for corruption, Russia and Ukraine both have it on an industrial scale, from the top to the bottom, not even close to any EU country. Even Greece at least tried to spend their bail out money to try to fix their problems, and didn't just grab the money and run like Russians did in the 90's.


In other news, Germany is sending 100 trucks of aid to East Ukraine, and possibly up to 200 soldiers to protect OSCE observers:
http://www.dw.de/germany-ponders-tro...ion/a-17973935

Corruption and mismanagement is widespread in Greece, BUT the Greeks are true nationalists and have the welfare of their nation very much at heart
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crimea, russia, ukraine




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (4 members and 6 guests)
NotAllThere, rainer_d
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jewish Refugees in Switzerland during World War II zanskar International affairs/politics 48 16.06.2010 15:58
Book about Switzerland in the second world war [recommendation?] telandy Other/general 14 18.06.2007 20:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0