Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #361  
Old 21.03.2014, 08:42
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,899
Groaned at 96 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,799 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
I just looked up in the sky and saw a plane. I reckon, measuring it by holding my fingers apart, that it's about 2cm long. It could be anywhere! Probably fallen into someone's pocket and they've not noticed yet.

Are you pleased to see me or is that a 777 in your pocket?
I'm female...

What's in my pocket looks more like the inflatable life boat.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #362  
Old 21.03.2014, 08:48
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,899
Groaned at 96 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,799 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
I increasingly expect the worst news possible everybody dead and THIS is so sad. It does not matter to me WHERE such things happen, it is always the same. YES, I DID hope for a good outcome, but this hope is fading fast
I actually seem to have rather conflicting emotions about what I think the worst outcome might be...

On the one hand, I hope the plane was hijacked, which might mean more of a chance of the passengers being alive. And I know that this is the outcome that many of the passengers' loved ones are hoping for.

But on the other hand, I realize that a huge plane like this being in the hands of terrorists could potentially lead to the loss of many, many more lives.

My heart just really goes out to all the families and loved ones. It must be excruciating to not know... and to feel torn between a sense of both grief and lingering hope.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #363  
Old 21.03.2014, 09:20
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
I actually seem to have rather conflicting emotions about what I think the worst outcome might be...

On the one hand, I hope the plane was hijacked, which might mean more of a chance of the passengers being alive. And I know that this is the outcome that many of the passengers' loved ones are hoping for.

But on the other hand, I realize that a huge plane like this being in the hands of terrorists could potentially lead to the loss of many, many more lives.

My heart just really goes out to all the families and loved ones. It must be excruciating to not know... and to feel torn between a sense of both grief and lingering hope.
An act of terrorism may give some chance to whatever survivors there may be, a clear and total crash does no
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 21.03.2014, 09:59
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,382
Groaned at 249 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 18,819 Times in 6,884 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
An act of terrorism may give some chance to whatever survivors there may be, a clear and total crash does no


It's the nature of terrorists that they want to spread terror. In other words: they tend to let the world know what they are doing. The "let's abduct 300 people, not tell anyone about it and feed them for some weeks for fun all just to get out hands on a pretty common plane..." theory is just ridiculous.

Let's face it: something went horribly wrong. We don't know what but one thing is for sure - the longer there is no news the lower are the chances of a passenger to survive. It has been two weeks, so chances are very very slim that somebody is rescued alive at this point. All we can hope for is that they finally find it and find out what happened in order to give the families some certainty and closure.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #365  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:08
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 10,968
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,510 Times in 7,093 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
It's the nature of terrorists that they want to spread terror. In other words: they tend to let the world know what they are doing. The "let's abduct 300 people, not tell anyone about it and feed them for some weeks for fun all just to get out hands on a pretty common plane..." theory is just ridiculous.

Let's face it: something went horribly wrong. We don't know what but one thing is for sure - the longer there is no news the lower are the chances of a passenger to survive. It has been two weeks, so chances are very very slim that somebody is rescued alive at this point. All we can hope for is that they finally find it and find out what happened in order to give the families some certainty and closure.
If it is some hijacking/terrorism thing, the chilling thing is that it has simply been achieved to maximum effect.

It's gained maximum publicity, gone global, experts have been shown up as being stumped, the Malaysian government has handled it badly and conspiracy theorists / armchair tin-hatters have had a field day, and whenever the truth finally comes out, air travel will most likely take another knee-jerk blow with some crazy new regulations which will cause more havoc in airports.

Win-win to the bad people, I would say.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #366  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:17
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,382
Groaned at 249 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 18,819 Times in 6,884 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post

Win-win to the bad people, I would say.
Well, most "bad people" don't consider themselves bad and usually have different goals from causing maximum confusion. (Unless it was some discordian fundamentalists... which I personally find rather unlikely...)

Terrorists usually believe that they are fighting for a cause instead and would let the world know about it. The typical "you hijack a plane and threaten to blow it up if you don't get what you want" sort of thing... no news is typically bad news.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #367  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:24
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 779
Groaned at 94 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
If it is some hijacking/terrorism thing, the chilling thing is that it has simply been achieved to maximum effect.

It's gained maximum publicity, gone global, experts have been shown up as being stumped, the Malaysian government has handled it badly and conspiracy theorists / armchair tin-hatters have had a field day, and whenever the truth finally comes out, air travel will most likely take another knee-jerk blow with some crazy new regulations which will cause more havoc in airports.

Win-win to the bad people, I would say.
Who are the bad people?

If it was an act of terrorism then someone would have claimed responsibility by now.

Most likely answers captain was bonkers or something on the plane stopped working.

My bet is the captain flipped out.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Connor MacLeod for this useful post:
  #368  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:26
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 3,009
Groaned at 42 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

I would be highly sceptical that this is in anyway a hijack or terrorism related incident.... I mean, it has "Global" news coverage. If you ever wanted to get a point accross, then now is the time.
.... yet nobody has claimed responsibility for it.

I still think something just went wrong. Why the comms were cut I have no idea, that's the truly weird part of this whole thing.

Either way, this will not end well. This is unfortunately certain.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:27
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,790
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,265 Times in 2,958 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

What if the truth is in between? The media is not able to disclose all the vital information. What if there are still survivors of the terrorist attack somewhere there kept hostage for ransom and whereabouts of their negotiations are classified not to endanger the passengers. Failing these conditions they will be executed. What if it is another conspiracy theory and we know jack ass?

Only until there are true facts uncovered and credible proof provided, debris positively identified. In the meantime I can just sit quietly and scratch myself in speculations. At the same time beyond comprehension how beloved ones of those missing passengers feel right now.
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #370  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:34
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 10,968
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,510 Times in 7,093 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
Who are the bad people?

If it was an act of terrorism then someone would have claimed responsibility by now.

Most likely answers captain was bonkers or something on the plane stopped working.

My bet is the captain flipped out.
I don't actually believe that it was terrorism, to be honest. But if it were, look at the rumpus that's been caused in the last two weeks. If I were a terrorist, it would be perfect: confusion, mismanagement, loss of trust in experts and government, a shitload of cutting-edge technology all coming up with nada, conflicting reports, mass uncertainty, all fuelled by nutters on the internet and a media starved of hard facts.

Minimal effort for maximum effect.

Look at the effects of that shoe-bomber. Millions of passengers every year having to take off their shoes at security. Or the explosives in baby milk a year or so later - mass restrictions of liquids in hand luggage.

OK, so it's not as big as the 9-11 event but it's still causing aftershocks years later.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #371  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:39
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 779
Groaned at 94 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
What if the truth is in between? The media is not able to disclose all the vital information. What if there are still survivors of the terrorist attack somewhere there kept hostage for ransom and whereabouts of their negotiations are classified not to endanger the passengers. Failing these conditions they will be executed. What if it is another conspiracy theory and we know jack ass?

Only until there are true facts uncovered and credible proof provided, debris positively identified. In the meantime I can just sit quietly and scratch myself in speculations. At the same time beyond comprehension how beloved ones of those missing passengers feel right now.
Starring Arnold, Sly and Steven Segal.

The media have been sworn to silence? Are you serious? The world wide media are lower than a snakes belly and will print anything to sell papers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Connor MacLeod for this useful post:
  #372  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:40
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 7,561
Groaned at 51 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 11,447 Times in 5,376 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

If we assume for a moment that the plane crashed into water, is it possible it crashed so far south that the debris is being carried south of Australia by the ocean currents and no one has looked there? Everyone seems to be looking in the last location where the plane might have been as opposed to where wreckage could have drifted to after almost 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:40
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 779
Groaned at 94 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
I don't actually believe that it was terrorism, to be honest. But if it were, look at the rumpus that's been caused in the last two weeks. If I were a terrorist, it would be perfect: confusion, mismanagement, loss of trust in experts and government, a shitload of cutting-edge technology all coming up with nada, conflicting reports, mass uncertainty, all fuelled by nutters on the internet and a media starved of hard facts.

Minimal effort for maximum effect.

Look at the effects of that shoe-bomber. Millions of passengers every year having to take off their shoes at security. Or the explosives in baby milk a year or so later - mass restrictions of liquids in hand luggage.

OK, so it's not as big as the 9-11 event but it's still causing aftershocks years later.
What's the point if you are not going to claim responsibility for it? The longer it goes on the less media coverage it gets.
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:46
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,899
Groaned at 96 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,799 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

One thing I don't quite understand is...

Why is it that a ship would sink, and yet a plane would be expected to still be floating, even after 2 weeks after crashing into the ocean?

Can't planes sink, too?
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:49
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 779
Groaned at 94 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
One thing I don't quite understand is...

Why is it that a ship would sink, and yet a plane would be expected to still be floating, even after 2 weeks after crashing into the ocean?

Can't planes sink, too?


Only if it doesn't fill with water...............same as a ship.
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,145
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,635 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

If its hit the ocean its in millions of pieces. Wings tail flight controls etc are built in a way that produces lots of baffled spaces so traps air.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #377  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:55
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 7,561
Groaned at 51 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 11,447 Times in 5,376 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
One thing I don't quite understand is...

Why is it that a ship would sink, and yet a plane would be expected to still be floating, even after 2 weeks after crashing into the ocean?

Can't planes sink, too?
Sure, but some stuff always floats. The fuselage and engines will certainly sink, but the tail section often floats as do all the seat cushions, life vests, packaged foods, inflatable rafts and most other lightweight stuff like hand luggage and purses. None of it is very big however, so that's why finding the debris is incredibly difficult.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #378  
Old 21.03.2014, 10:58
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 10,968
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,510 Times in 7,093 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
What's the point if you are not going to claim responsibility for it?
Well precisely, which is why I'd be really surprised if it was some terrorist-linked job.

Still, all you'd have to do is let it stew for a couple of weeks while everyone is in a fog of misinformation, then nick another plane and do it all over again.

Repeat until you decide you've reached the right degree of global panic then announce yourself and your evil intentions.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #379  
Old 21.03.2014, 11:09
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,790
Groaned at 98 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 5,265 Times in 2,958 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
One thing I don't quite understand is...

Why is it that a ship would sink, and yet a plane would be expected to still be floating, even after 2 weeks after crashing into the ocean?

Can't planes sink, too?
I wouldn't get overexcited. The satellite nerds have spotted a large whale's tail fin overwater and all that hype has started:

Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 21.03.2014, 11:13
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,506
Groaned at 57 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,291 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malaysian Airlines flight missing

Quote:
View Post
If it was an act of terrorism then someone would have claimed responsibility by now.
I don't think it is terrorism, but if it is then the optimal time to claim responsibilty might be as the plane slams into a major city, packed with explosives or neutotoxins.

If they claim responsibility now then they reduce the search area.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
malaysian airlines, mh370, missing plane




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Malaysian Airlines MH 17 has crashed over Ukraine telandy International affairs/politics 542 28.09.2016 22:45
Zurich-Manchester flight [new Easyjet flight] macst Transportation/driving 21 03.01.2012 19:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0