Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 07.10.2014, 23:46
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

By the way, Ben Affleck was promoting his movie "Gone Girl". That is not courage, that is business.

As for courage, it isn't in the Muslim degenerates with guns raping under aged girls, and decapitating people with hands tied behind their backs. When they die, they go to hell. The real courage are demonstrated by the real Muslim martyrs of this strategy. This is from today's UNHR report:

-On 22 July, ISIL killed a Sunni Imam in eastern Baquba because he had denounced the organization. Reports allege that on 9 September, another Imam was executed in western Mosul for failing to declare his fealty to
ISIL.

-On 7 August, ISIL gunmen abducted 11 civilians from Samra village, north Tikrit, for allegedly colluding and providing information on ISIL to ISF.

-On 20 July, the house of Sheikh Anwar al-Asi, the Head of the Obaidi tribe, located in al-Ramel village, was blown up by ISIL after stealing all its properties. The Sheikh had refused to provide ISIL with men and vehicles to fight alongside with ISIL.

-On 22 July, a candidate in the general election with the State of Law list was killed when ISIL stormed her house in Sderat village in Qayara sub-district in Ninewa.

-On 23 July, again in Sderat, ISIL gunmen broke into the house of a candidate in the last election for the Ninewa Provincial Council, killed her and abducted her husband.

-On 13 August, a female doctor was killed while resisting ISIL trying to take her away from her home in Tayaran, south of Mosul for having organised or participated in the strike.

-On 21 August, media reported that ISIL beat with sticks women who were not wearing the veil in markets in the city.

These are examples of some of the real martyrs who demonstrate their true religion. The ones with guns, they demonstrate their failures with their false religion.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #222  
Old 07.10.2014, 23:58
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,584
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,611 Times in 6,343 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Four days ago Turkey’s prime minister Ahmet Davutoğlu publicly vowed the country would do everything it could to stop the Isis advance.

Now Erdogan publicly says Kobani will fall soon.

Turns out "everything* is nothing

Wonder what impact this will have on next years Turkey elections?
Probably none as it was claimed Turkey printed 140+ Million ballot papers for this years Spring elections in a country with only 50 million people so they have a lot of flexibility
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #223  
Old 08.10.2014, 13:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Sam Harris's response to the Affleck event: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/c...ed-from-itself
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Russkov for this useful post:
  #224  
Old 08.10.2014, 17:33
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,584
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,611 Times in 6,343 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
Four days ago Turkey’s prime minister Ahmet Davutoğlu publicly vowed the country would do everything it could to stop the Isis advance.

Now Erdogan publicly says Kobani will fall soon.

Turns out "everything* is nothing

Wonder what impact this will have on next years Turkey elections?
Probably none as it was claimed Turkey printed 140+ Million ballot papers for this years Spring elections in a country with only 50 million people so they have a lot of flexibility
There are some reports that ISIS is retreating from Kobani; could it be that Erdogan is not infallible

Meanwhile in Turkey there were at least 12 killed in protests about lack of Turkey action against ISIS; now several cities have curfews and tanks on the streets - what is our world coming too?

In Germany there were fights between Kurds and ISIS supporters; ISIS supporters?? This mess is never going to end is it?
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 08.10.2014, 18:10
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 17,893
Groaned at 301 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 13,156 Times in 7,542 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Probably not unfortunately. IS supporters, neo-Nazi supporters. There will always be people who follow even the most crazy ideas, be they religious ones or not.

I really think the Turks are being short-sighted on this. They're busy trying to keep the Kurds from gaining weapons and getting their demands met over the buffer zone and strikes against Syria. If IS makes a major push they'll over-run not only the city but the border as well and take part of Turkey under their control.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 08.10.2014, 18:28
SemAms's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: im Ausland
Posts: 305
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 415 Times in 228 Posts
SemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputation
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
..
I really think the Turks are being short-sighted on this. They're busy trying to keep the Kurds from gaining weapons and getting their demands met over the buffer zone and strikes against Syria. If IS makes a major push they'll over-run not only the city but the border as well and take part of Turkey under their control.
After multiple blunders Turkish government believes they can gain out of the mess by playing the IS card and get the upper hand against PKK and Syrian Regime. I do not think Turkish public is for such a military adventure considering the major strength of the Turkish army is its size rather than its technology; the public was against the Iraq incursion back in 2003 and it's against Syrian incursion now. But Tayyip Erdogan is a master preacher and enjoys full even blind backing of the majority of the population so Turkish boots in Syria can still be possible.

IS won't be so stupid to push towards Turkey on military grounds; they have a lot of targets to chose from for their terror attacks
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 08.10.2014, 18:39
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

The situation is totally cluster-fuct.

-----

Barak Barfi has been dead on with his analysis and prognostications for some time now. He said the Kurds are the best possible allies on the ground. But they are outgunned by ISIS with its US military hardware. Turkey does not want to arm the PKK and would rather see it decimated.

The fall of Kobani discredits the coalition as anything useful. The coalition was just for political showmanship.

----------

Meanwhile, at the home front, MI5 claims to have foiled an imminent ISIS attack on UK soil. Germany riot indicates we are only seeing the tip of this "small fringe minority group" iceberg.

Last edited by Phos; 08.10.2014 at 22:18.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 08.10.2014, 19:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,584
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,611 Times in 6,343 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
After multiple blunders Turkish government believes they can gain out of the mess by playing the IS card and get the upper hand against PKK and Syrian Regime. I do not think Turkish public is for such a military adventure considering the major strength of the Turkish army is its size rather than its technology; the public was against the Iraq incursion back in 2003 and it's against Syrian incursion now. But Tayyip Erdogan is a master preacher and enjoys full even blind backing of the majority of the population so Turkish boots in Syria can still be possible.

IS won't be so stupid to push towards Turkey on military grounds; they have a lot of targets to chose from for their terror attacks
About "considering the major strength of the Turkish army is its size ................."

After the Sledgehammer affair where circa 400 senior Turkey military officers were jailed it may just be that Erdogan does not want to put the army in play when their capability and loyalty today is not proven on the field of battle; especially as most of the soldiers are Sunni!
Look at the way the Iraqi army folded!

If the Turkish army were to start handing their tanks over to ISIS then it would be an even bigger mess
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 08.10.2014, 21:36
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
There are some reports that ISIS is retreating from Kobani; could it be that Erdogan is not infallible

Meanwhile in Turkey there were at least 12 killed in protests about lack of Turkey action against ISIS; now several cities have curfews and tanks on the streets - what is our world coming too?

In Germany there were fights between Kurds and ISIS supporters; ISIS supporters?? This mess is never going to end is it?

Erdogan tolerated ISIS as Long as it was just a problem in the Arab World BUT now they have become a serious nuisance
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 08.10.2014, 21:38
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,185
Groaned at 328 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 2,127 Times in 928 Posts
treesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthy
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
Erdogan tolerated ISIS as Long as it was just a problem in the Arab World BUT now they have become a serious nuisance
And so he's fallen in love.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank treesarehalal for this useful post:
  #231  
Old 08.10.2014, 21:40
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
Probably not unfortunately. IS supporters, neo-Nazi supporters. There will always be people who follow even the most crazy ideas, be they religious ones or not.

I really think the Turks are being short-sighted on this. They're busy trying to keep the Kurds from gaining weapons and getting their demands met over the buffer zone and strikes against Syria. If IS makes a major push they'll over-run not only the city but the border as well and take part of Turkey under their control.

Negative, if they cross the border into Turkey, the Turkish Army Corps there will massacre the ISIS chaps, and move ahead into Aleppo and Mosul
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #232  
Old 08.10.2014, 21:42
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
And so he's fallen in love.

Yes, fallen in love with the idea to expand Turkey towards the Southeast, just as other Turkish rulers in political trouble did before him


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0udgzzEsK0

Last edited by Wollishofener; 08.10.2014 at 22:22.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 08.10.2014, 21:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,981
Groaned at 68 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,049 Times in 1,795 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
Four days ago Turkey’s prime minister Ahmet Davutoğlu publicly vowed the country would do everything it could to stop the Isis advance.

Now Erdogan publicly says Kobani will fall soon.

Turns out "everything* is nothing

Wonder what impact this will have on next years Turkey elections?
Probably none as it was claimed Turkey printed 140+ Million ballot papers for this years Spring elections in a country with only 50 million people so they have a lot of flexibility
the US and UK should let Turkey handle the problem of ISIS, on its own. after all, the battle is knocking on Erdogan's borders, not Obama's or Cameron's.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank crazygringo for this useful post:
  #234  
Old 08.10.2014, 22:14
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
And so he's fallen in love.
Turkey is holding a winning hand. If they continue to play it as strategically and shrewdly as they have, there is a huge opportuntiy for them to take swaths of Iraq and Syria and call it a caliphate. Perhaps they can call it State of Islam.... S.O.I.? Hmmmm..... naw.... Islamic Caliphate, IC?..... hmmmm,... naw.... Islamic Republic, IR? Naw..... what can they possibly call it? Islamic State In Turkey... ISIT?.... almost, getting warm.... what can it be called?

He has Yusuf al-Qaradawi's support for a Caliphate. Perhaps they can then take on Egypt, mess with Israel and kick off Armageddon.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #235  
Old 08.10.2014, 22:24
WAA WAA is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 54
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 115 Times in 34 Posts
WAA has earned some respectWAA has earned some respect
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
the US and UK should let Turkey handle the problem of ISIS, on its own. after all, the battle is knocking on Erdogan's borders, not Obama's or Cameron's.
Turkey will not help, Iraqi media has announced that turkey offered the Kurds of Kobani 2 choices, either a Turkish invasion or an Isis invasion. Based on the history I feel turkey might want to expand its region taking over Kurdish areas of both Iraq and Syria. I don't think they will allow the Kurds to gather strength which might bring them closer to forming their own nation. I really find all of this extremely sad. I think all people in both Iraq and Syria (Kurds, Arabs, Christians and yazidis) are pawns in an extremely dangerous and dirty game being played.

Turks have an expansion plan and Isis has a destruction and killing plan, both are horrible outcomes for all the innocent people caught between these 2. I just don't understand how can anybody stay still while people are being slaughtered feet away from your border. With that being said I think it's time I pack my bags and head back to CH, since I feel it's only going to get worse in the region.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 08.10.2014, 22:26
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,109
Groaned at 104 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 14,647 Times in 4,718 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
Turkey is holding a winning hand. If they continue to play it as strategically and shrewdly as they have, there is a huge opportuntiy for them to take swaths of Iraq and Syria and call it a caliphate. Perhaps they can call it State of Islam.... S.O.I.? Hmmmm..... naw.... Islamic Caliphate, IC?..... hmmmm,... naw.... Islamic Republic, IR? Naw..... what can they possibly call it? Islamic State In Turkey... ISIT?.... almost, getting warm.... what can it be called?
What the hell are you talking about Phos? The Ottoman empire ended a century ago and the Turks have no wish to create a new one.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 08.10.2014, 22:28
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
What the hell are you talking about Phos? The Ottoman empire ended a century ago and the Turks have no wish to create a new one.
Oh, what was I thinking? Of course they don't want more money and power, who would?
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 08.10.2014, 22:31
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,584
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,611 Times in 6,343 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
Negative, if they cross the border into Turkey, the Turkish Army Corps there will massacre the ISIS chaps, and move ahead into Aleppo and Mosul
Mosul, Iraq? Another nail in the coffin of Turkey's foreign policy "zero problems with neighbours.”

Publicly wanting to oust Assad wins no friends in Russia or Iran and possibly Armenia.
Relations are bad with Egypt and Israel.
Greece is a long story but relatively cordial today.
Armenia is also a long story.

Quote:
View Post
the US and UK should let Turkey handle the problem of ISIS, on its own. after all, the battle is knocking on Erdogan's borders, not Obama's or Cameron's.
Apart from publicly murdering UK & US citizens; never a good way to win friends and influence people.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 08.10.2014, 22:33
WAA WAA is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 54
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 115 Times in 34 Posts
WAA has earned some respectWAA has earned some respect
Re: Islamic State

Quote:
View Post
Oh, what was I thinking? Of course they don't want more money and power, who would?
No they don't want an Ottoman Empire, they just want to keep the Kurds under control. They have no desire to expand into "Arab" or non Kurdish areas. It's just the Kurds they're interested in.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank WAA for this useful post:
  #240  
Old 08.10.2014, 22:37
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Islamic State

Turkey laid out its conditions for getting involved in the situation. They said no short-term goals, only a long-term and permanent end to fighting and terrorism is a condition. Now, I don't see how that is possible without their long term control of the region.

By the way, with all of Turkey's grand ideas, I hope they are not thinking the US and Europe will be paying for it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beheading, is iraq




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Abaja, Hijab, Islamic clothing Bridi Other/general 10 29.02.2016 14:23
Islamic teaching for a 4yrs old. kashy Family matters/health 3 04.11.2011 11:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0