Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #901  
Old 12.01.2015, 15:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,986
Groaned at 69 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 5,074 Times in 1,802 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Couple of weeks ago at least 50 civilians have been killed in Syria by a US-led coalition airstrike.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2015/01/11/252671_us-airstrike-in-syria-may-have.html?rh=1

During the past several years France conducted military operations in Libya, Mali, Chad, Ivory Coast, Central African Repulic, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria. How many civilians have been murdered during these operations?

France has to learn from the other European counries which have no Muslim terrorism issue and change its foreign policy.
just about every country you list above has been at war during the "past several years", civil or otherwise. in other words, civilians are dying in those countries with or without military operations being conducted by the west.

France, meanwhile, is not at war. if you don't see the difference - which is hardly subtle - I'm not sure how to help you.
Reply With Quote
  #902  
Old 12.01.2015, 15:58
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,713
Groaned at 521 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Freedom of speech campaign didn't last long then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rticle-2906539
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank JBZ86 for this useful post:
  #903  
Old 12.01.2015, 16:04
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,715
Groaned at 54 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 9,623 Times in 3,557 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
the IRA are no longer armed/active.
Oh, I don't know. They keep themselves busy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...y_actions#2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...y_actions#2014
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #904  
Old 12.01.2015, 17:01
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 226
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 471 Times in 272 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
just about every country you list above has been at war during the "past several years", civil or otherwise. in other words, civilians are dying in those countries with or without military operations being conducted by the west.

France, meanwhile, is not at war. if you don't see the difference - which is hardly subtle - I'm not sure how to help you.
No, I don't see any difference -- murdering civilians is a terrible crime in any country. All I am saying is that minimizing military adventures abroad possibly helps to fight terrorism at home.
Reply With Quote
  #905  
Old 12.01.2015, 17:27
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,437
Groaned at 390 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,561 Times in 8,976 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
"Excommunication" as in curbing Free Speech in Islam? Of course there is, flogging and decapitation.
Excommunication is really a kind of banishment, a punishment that's handed out by a church when one of its members breaks some important church rule. The Latin root is excommunicare, meaning "put out of the community," which is just what happens when a person is excommunicated.

Consequently the fanatics when Excommunicated could no longer claim to be Muslim, no longer pass "Go" and no longer claim their 72 virgins
Could also be done "post mortem" as a disincentive

Quote:
View Post
I do like the answer. I'm also glad to learn that no one in the PKK are Muslim. But again, the fact that they are is irrelevant. However denying that the news is full of Islamic terror or claiming that the next terrorist attack on London or New York is as likely to be in the name of Christianity as Islam is farcical.
True about the PKK but I did not "denying that the news is full of Islamic terror ......"

I simply showed proof that the statement "almost all terrorists are Muslims" is TOSH and you have not shown any contrary evidence

Last edited by 3Wishes; 12.01.2015 at 18:18. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #906  
Old 12.01.2015, 17:38
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 3,655
Groaned at 144 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 6,691 Times in 2,618 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Freedom of speech campaign didn't last long then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rticle-2906539
Of course not. If anything, it's probably only going to illuminate hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #907  
Old 12.01.2015, 17:40
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 70
Groaned at 42 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 191 Times in 82 Posts
farmadoc has earned some respectfarmadoc has earned some respect
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Freedom of speech campaign didn't last long then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rticle-2906539
Such a weird post here. He has complete freedom of speech - the government didn't impinge at all. Although of course, outing himself as another virulent anti-semite should see him immediately dismissed. He will retain his freedom of speech though. I wish we wouldn't confuse freedom of speech with freedom to broadcast on someone else's air.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank farmadoc for this useful post:
This user groans at farmadoc for this post:
  #908  
Old 12.01.2015, 17:52
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,429
Groaned at 78 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,147 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

I don't understand any of that
Reply With Quote
  #909  
Old 12.01.2015, 17:57
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 70
Groaned at 42 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 191 Times in 82 Posts
farmadoc has earned some respectfarmadoc has earned some respect
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
I don't understand any of that
Me? Which bit?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank farmadoc for this useful post:
  #910  
Old 12.01.2015, 18:06
eddiejc1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Derwood, MD USA
Posts: 1,005
Groaned at 22 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 684 Times in 372 Posts
eddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputation
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Nobody hear is complaining and neither is the French government, but as an American I'm deeply disappointed that President Obama did not fly to Paris to attend the rally in person rather than give a sound bite from the White House. If Biden's too busy, then send Kerry---at least he can speak French!

Actions are more important than words.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank eddiejc1 for this useful post:
  #911  
Old 12.01.2015, 18:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Nobody hear is complaining and neither is the French government, but as an American I'm deeply disappointed that President Obama did not fly to Paris to attend the rally in person rather than give a sound bite from the White House. If Biden's too busy, then send Kerry---at least he can speak French!

Actions are more important than words.
On the other hand, I am perfectly glad Obama and the US did not show much presence yesterday. It underlines the fact that this is not purely a US issue.
Reply With Quote
  #912  
Old 12.01.2015, 18:16
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,713
Groaned at 521 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Such a weird post here. He has complete freedom of speech - the government didn't impinge at all. Although of course, outing himself as another virulent anti-semite should see him immediately dismissed. He will retain his freedom of speech though. I wish we wouldn't confuse freedom of speech with freedom to broadcast on someone else's air.
People asking for him to resign / be sacked because he quite rightly pointed out that Muslims were being persecuted by Jews far more than the other way around in the global grand scheme of things? In response to her claiming the situation was akin to the 1930s? I am not sure his comments were anti semitic, rather just direct, honest and humbling?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JBZ86 for this useful post:
  #913  
Old 12.01.2015, 18:25
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 464
Groaned at 209 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 1,794 Times in 984 Posts
Pashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthy
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Freedom of speech campaign didn't last long then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rticle-2906539
Racism should not be tolerated. For the BBC that isn't the case.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Pashosh for this post:
  #914  
Old 12.01.2015, 18:27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 70
Groaned at 42 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 191 Times in 82 Posts
farmadoc has earned some respectfarmadoc has earned some respect
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
People asking for him to resign / be sacked because he quite rightly pointed out that Muslims were being persecuted by Jews far more than the other way around in the global grand scheme of things? In response to her claiming the situation was akin to the 1930s? I am not sure his comments were anti semitic, rather just direct, honest and humbling?
Well he was anti-semitic in any sense of the word. He equated Israel and Jewish people. Can't really get more anti-semitic than that. But it seems you can't see it so I'll do another analogy (it didn't work before because I was accused of being drunk for suggesting a member here had a dog...)

News reporter: do you feel black people are oppressed by white people?
Philadelphia resident black person: yes, I and my friends do often feel that.
News reporter: but what about the fact that black people oppressed other black people in Burundi much more than white people ever have?
Philadelphia resident black person: well you can't amalgamate the two, I've never even been to Africa
News reporter: well we all see things from different perspectives.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank farmadoc for this useful post:
  #915  
Old 12.01.2015, 18:38
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,713
Groaned at 521 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Well he was anti-semitic in any sense of the word. He equated Israel and Jewish people. Can't really get more anti-semitic than that. But it seems you can't see it so I'll do another analogy (it didn't work before because I was accused of being drunk for suggesting a member here had a dog...)

News reporter: do you feel black people are oppressed by white people?
Philadelphia resident black person: yes, I and my friends do often feel that.
News reporter: but what about the fact that black people oppressed other black people in Burundi much more than white people ever have?
Philadelphia resident black person: well you can't amalgamate the two, I've never even been to Africa
News reporter: well we all see things from different perspectives.
Well I can see how the topic of alcohol came up.

Your post makes little sense so I shall ask more direct questions.

Please help me see where he displayed hatred, prejudice or discrimination against Jews? As it would appear his crime was to merely provide a reality check to an emotional lady comparing the recent attack to the Holocaust? Which in my view is a little far fetched.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JBZ86 for this useful post:
  #916  
Old 12.01.2015, 18:44
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,210
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Well he was anti-semitic in any sense of the word. He equated Israel and Jewish people. Can't really get more anti-semitic than that. But it seems you can't see it so I'll do another analogy (it didn't work before because I was accused of being drunk for suggesting a member here had a dog...)

News reporter: do you feel black people are oppressed by white people?
Philadelphia resident black person: yes, I and my friends do often feel that.
News reporter: but what about the fact that black people oppressed other black people in Burundi much more than white people ever have?
Philadelphia resident black person: well you can't amalgamate the two, I've never even been to Africa
News reporter: well we all see things from different perspectives.
you should stop your analogy exercise....you are definitely not good at it.

The bit i did not get....how the fact to equate Israel and jewish people is anti-semitic? need to understand that because Bibi said that Israel will be the homeland for ALL jewish people in the world. His friend Lieberman also said that Israel should be for jews only and all others (palestinian muslims, christians) should live outside Israel. So both are anti-semitic?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #917  
Old 12.01.2015, 18:46
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,325
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,689 Times in 5,025 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
As it would appear his crime was to merely provide a reality check to an emotional lady comparing the recent attack to the Holocaust? Which in my view is a little far fetched.
For a little context, what is not shown in the clip is the fact that she introduced herself as an Israeli who is now resident in Paris. This must have stuck in his mind which is why he blurted out the statement. That makes him a bit of a bumbling fool but certainly not an anti-semite.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #918  
Old 12.01.2015, 18:48
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 70
Groaned at 42 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 191 Times in 82 Posts
farmadoc has earned some respectfarmadoc has earned some respect
Quote:
View Post
Bibi said that Israel will be the homeland for ALL jewish people in the world. His friend Lieberman also said that Israel should be for jews only and all others (palestinian muslims, christians) should live outside Israel. So both are anti-semitic?
no. Both are wrong. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30773773

Two French students. One of them says:

Quote:
I will never go to Israel other than as a tourist. I don't feel linked in any way to the state of Israel. I strongly disapprove of the Israeli government's policy towards the Palestinians. If I have to emigrate it will not be to Israel.
Quote:
View Post
For a little context, what is not shown in the clip is the fact that she introduced herself as an Israeli who is now resident in Paris. This must have stuck in his mind which is why he blurted out the statement. That makes him a bit of a bumbling fool but certainly not an anti-semite.
No, it makes him an antisemite and no context is necessary and watching you trip over yourself to excuse him in a bit cringeworthy. She said the situation harked back to France of the 1930s and his response was to introduce Israel.

Quote:
Many critics though of Israel's policy would suggest that the Palestinians suffer hugely at Jewish hands as well'

Last edited by 3Wishes; 12.01.2015 at 19:16. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #919  
Old 12.01.2015, 19:26
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,713
Groaned at 521 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
no. Both are wrong. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30773773

Two French students. One of them says:



No, it makes him an antisemite and no context is necessary and watching you trip over yourself to excuse him in a bit cringeworthy. She said the situation harked back to France of the 1930s and his response was to introduce Israel.
Oh now I get it.

She is an islamaphobe and he an antisemite.

All makes sense now.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JBZ86 for this useful post:
  #920  
Old 12.01.2015, 19:26
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 464
Groaned at 209 Times in 155 Posts
Thanked 1,794 Times in 984 Posts
Pashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthyPashosh is considered unworthy
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
you should stop your analogy exercise....you are definitely not good at it.

The bit i did not get....how the fact to equate Israel and jewish people is anti-semitic? need to understand that because Bibi said that Israel will be the homeland for ALL jewish people in the world. His friend Lieberman also said that Israel should be for jews only and all others (palestinian muslims, christians) should live outside Israel. So both are anti-semitic?
When did lieberman say that non jews shouldn't be allowed to live in Israel.

JBZ86: Jews were prosecuted in all Muslim countries. Luckily for the Jews they could escape and leave the Arabs to fester in their failed countries (or emigratel
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charlie hebdo




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post office in France (Divonne) - open tomorrow? idefix General off-topic 3 01.11.2012 15:19
UK Passport office in France - a cautionary tale maxhd Complaints corner 21 07.09.2010 09:34
The Cumbria shootings eng_ch International affairs/politics 8 04.06.2010 23:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0