English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome. (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/228294-feyenoord-fans-sightseeing-rome.html)

dajegas 20.02.2015 12:36

Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Seems like the whole world is well prepared to apply sarcasm about Italian behavior being it about driving, eating or you name it.

This is what happens when civilized and well behaved foreigners come to my hometown.

Sorry for those of you that were never in Rome before: it won't be the same from now on. Enjoy!

Assassin 20.02.2015 13:01

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dajegas (Post 2344427)
Seems like the whole world is well prepared to apply sarcasm about Italian behavior being it about driving, eating or you name it.

This is what happens when civilized and well behaved foreigners come to my hometown.

Sorry for those of you that were never in Rome before: it won't be the same from now on. Enjoy!

May we kindly refer you to the Metro thread? Confirms the fact that 99% of the world's population already knows. Wanton violence by hooligans posing as soccer fans may lead to racist taunts/violence against any living soul/urinating in public/conflict for the sheer hell of it.

Some people collect stamps as a hobby. Sticking them in albums. Hooligans like stamps too, mainly on other people's heads and are equally proficient at receiving them too when the police kick their butts.

TiMow 20.02.2015 13:14

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
See what happens when you take the Dutch away from their blow.

MidfieldGeneral 20.02.2015 13:18

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Italian football also has its awful hooliganism problems. Not just the Dutch and English

dodgyken 20.02.2015 13:50

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MidfieldGeneral (Post 2344458)
Italian football also has its awful hooliganism problems. Not just the Dutch and English

Glasshouses and all that!

Example of Roma fans

Not to be out down, Lazio

dajegas 20.02.2015 13:55

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assassin (Post 2344446)
May we kindly refer you to the Metro thread? Confirms the fact that 99% of the world's population already knows. Wanton violence by hooligans posing as soccer fans may lead to racist taunts/violence against any living soul/urinating in public/conflict for the sheer hell of it.

Some people collect stamps as a hobby. Sticking them in albums. Hooligans like stamps too, mainly on other people's heads and are equally proficient at receiving them too when the police kick their butts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgyken (Post 2344490)

So basically insulting someone or destroying hundred-years-old monuments and laying siege to one of the most touristic places in the world (Trinità dei Monti staircase) and, while you're in the process, put in danger the tourists that paid good money to be there is equally dreadful.

Good to know.

MidfieldGeneral 20.02.2015 13:57

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Arrigo Sacchi: ‘I’m not racist … but there are too many blacks in youth teams’

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ks-youth-teams

Papa Goose 20.02.2015 14:12

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Why is it that a known issue (football yobbery) is only noteworthy when it's in your home town? I have seen Italian yobs (well dressed), French yobs (well smelly), English yobs (well... just well) and Scottish yobs (well ginger) and all I can say is every country and team has them.

I have been to enough games to know a twat is a twat whatever scarf he wears.... COYS

amogles 20.02.2015 14:16

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Quote:

Drunk fans damaged buildings
Yes, terrible what they did ...

These people have no shame.

The Romans used to keep geese to warn them about this sort of thing.

O tempora o mores.


http://winarticles.net/wp-content/up...ay-550x359.jpg





http://www.vacations.info/wp-content...oman-ruins.jpg

dajegas 20.02.2015 14:21

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Goose (Post 2344520)
Why is it that a know issue (football yobbery) is only noteworthy when it's in your home town? I have seen Italian yobs (well dressed), French yobs (well smelly), English yobs (well... just well) and Scottish yobs (well ginger) and all I can say is every country and team has them.

I have been to enough games to know a twat is a twat whatever scarf he wears.... COYS

The issue is noteworthy when from insults and fights they escalate to destruction of monuments that you find in architecture books.

And claiming possession of a place that, besides being a world-known tourist attraction, was full of people.

And from the fact that no one is going to take the blame. Not the Netherlands, not the Feyenoord FC, not even the hooligans that were arrested! Because they were sentenced to jail and fees but had to be put on a plane and sent back to their home country.

And the mere fact that you all are trying to reduce this to a simple hooligan misbehavior should tell me I should stop trying to explain things you clearly do not get.

So, issue closed. Enjoy.

MidfieldGeneral 20.02.2015 14:24

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
dajegas, what would you like to hear? I think we all agree with you that hooliganism is a bad thing. Racist hooliganism even worse.

Papa Goose 20.02.2015 14:39

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dajegas (Post 2344528)
The issue is noteworthy when from insults and fights they escalate to destruction of monuments that you find in architecture books.

And claiming possession of a place that, besides being a world-known tourist attraction, was full of people.

And from the fact that no one is going to take the blame. Not the Netherlands, not the Feyenoord FC, not even the hooligans that were arrested! Because they were sentenced to jail and fees but had to be put on a plane and sent back to their home country.

And the mere fact that you all are trying to reduce this to a simple hooligan misbehavior should tell me I should stop trying to explain things you clearly do not get.

So, issue closed. Enjoy.

There is no defence for the indefensible, so mind as you step down from your high horse. Just lock them up where they commit the crime.... simples. These Dutchy's got sent home with a note in their passport and possibly a nifty wee ankle bracelet. Sod that, stick them in some grotty Roman prison cell (in this instance) for a month or 2... might make them think again.

Your home town, just as Zurich, London or Paris has historical monument, and tourist spots, and criminal damage to them should be treated the same whoever does it, and punished locally. So, the softy liberal Eurocrats who make it harder on the people than the perps should be a better target for your angst.

My point was next week it could be Italian fans in London, British fans in Paris etc, and to me they are just genitalia (no pun intended) and yes, I do think it was football hooliganism, what do you think it was?

dodgyken 20.02.2015 14:42

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MidfieldGeneral (Post 2344530)
dajegas, what would you like to hear? I think we all agree with you that hooliganism is a bad thing. Racist hooliganism even worse.

What they would like to hear is that it is perfectly OK to have double standards - that we should accept Roma and Lazio fans calling black players monkeys** and throwing bananas - but we should condemn Feyenoord fans you throw beer bottles in a fountain.

They are all (insert C-word) in my book and football would be a better place without them. The problem you have is that humans seek being part of something bigger - the empowerment being part of a large group brings. Being part of a gang/group that goes to a foreign town and smashes up a monument might be their way of having group approval.






**They clearly have never seen monkeys play footbal - they are rubbish :eek::eek:

Dack Rambo 20.02.2015 15:52

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
What happened in Rome last night was the worst case of hooliganism since the Heysel Stadium disaster. Feynoord should be banned from all european competition for at least 5 years.

MidfieldGeneral 20.02.2015 16:03

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dack Rambo (Post 2344600)
What happened in Rome last night was the worst case of hooliganism since the Heysel Stadium disaster. Feynoord should be banned from all european competition for at least 5 years.

I'm not sure this is true unless you're only talking about physical property.

39 died at Heysel. As far as I know none died in Rome (but I stand to be corrected)

It's not even the worst case in Italian soccer history:

"Catania vs. Palermo — 2007 The Sicilian derby proved to be fatal, as 40 year old police officer Filippo Raciti was killed after a homemade bomb was thrown into his patrol car as rival fans of Catania & Palermo clashed before, during and after their side’s meeting in February 2007. Serie A football was suspended for three weeks as a consequence."

dmarkd 20.02.2015 16:36

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dack Rambo (Post 2344600)
What happened in Rome last night was the worst case of hooliganism since the Heysel Stadium disaster. Feynoord should be banned from all european competition for at least 5 years.

With respect, I diasgree.

72 people were killed at a footbal match in Egypt 3 years ago. Read about it- the Port Said Stadium riot.

It's also worth mentioning that the police in Rome don't have a great history of dealing with football fans. Read this, concerning Man Utd fans in Rome in 2007. http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-violence-2007

But lets hope that this kind of behaviour from officials is no longer taking place.

leonie 20.02.2015 16:54

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
My family and I are visiting Rome right now, and yesterday my 13-year old son has been taken by his father to that football game. He is a big football fan and was dreaming of going to this game for weeks. Yesterday in the city we were seeing groups of drunk Feyenoord fans everywhere, and by the time the game started we were plain scared and almost didn't go -- but we didn't see the fountain damage and the clashes with the police, otherwise we would have certainly canceled the trip to the game. It makes me angry that a few hooligans are allowed to create such an unpleasant and dangerous atmosphere and put people at risk.

amogles 20.02.2015 17:52

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
I don't quite see what's damaged about this fountain. It's full of trash but that's not the same as severe vandalism.

Is this some sort of an exaggeration?

http://i.guim.co.uk/media/w-620/h--/..._1801/1000.jpg

Or am I missing something, what's broken here?

Here is a before picture

http://mocochocodotcom.files.wordpre...na33.jpg?w=750

k_and_e 20.02.2015 18:18

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
Another example of the terrible damage.
See what happened to the stadium itself.

Before
http://www.newslavoro360.it/wp-conte...mpico-roma.jpg

After
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...m_2198045b.jpg

Sbrinz 20.02.2015 20:55

Re: Feyenoord fans sightseeing in Rome.
 
I read that 4'000 tickets were sent to England for the match yesterday between Everton and Bern. There were 4'000 fans from Everton in Bern, behaving reasonably well, but many bottles were left in the fountains!

A year ago in Lille things were nasty with Everton, but yesterday there was one small broken window and a lot of litter. (See report and photo)

http://www.derbund.ch/bern/nachricht...21467974196833

Maybe the French and the Italian police need to learn how to control the potentially violent football crowds, with persuasion and not confrontation?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0