US Army Europe Public Affairs issued a bulletin yesterday to US military personnel restricting travel to Munich and Garmisch on its website www.army.mil:
"WIESBADEN, Germany -- Army Europe antiterrorism and force protection officials have directed travel restrictions to Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen from June 4-8, for Department of Defense personnel.
This guidance restricts all Army Europe sponsored personnel from traveling to the specified areas. Family members are highly encouraged to avoid the areas as well.
Commanders will inform their personnel of the mandatory travel restrictions to the specified areas and have been instructed to warn all personnel about the potential violence and threats. " http://www.army.mil/a/149698/
In a related bulletin issued on May 18, the US Army recommended that its military personnel keep a low profile in the Garmisch area, including:
• Avoid the demonstrations.
• Cooperate with German police, military police and security guards.
• Avoid wearing a military uniform in public view to avoid any confrontations.
• Keep a low profile. Be inconspicuous. ... Avoid speaking loudly in English or in ways that attract attention.
• Think before you post something on the Internet. http://www.army.mil/article/148742/