Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 18.04.2016, 16:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Not refugees, because nobody is fleeing fighting in Somalia? So much sympathy for death and those fleeing conflict and instability, wow you truly are a nice person!

https://www.amnesty.ch/de/laender/af...FTUW0wodmZcGMw

There is war and terror being waged all over Africa at the moment.
There's ALWAYS been war and terror raging all over Africa.

I reserve the same level of sympathy for people dying by trying to cross the Med in a rubber dinghy as I did for the deaths Steve Irwin and Michael Hutchence.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #102  
Old 18.04.2016, 16:32
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,751
Groaned at 297 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 22,121 Times in 8,035 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Not refugees, because nobody is fleeing fighting in Somalia? So much sympathy for death and those fleeing conflict and instability, wow you truly are a nice person!

https://www.amnesty.ch/de/laender/af...FTUW0wodmZcGMw

There is war and terror being waged all over Africa at the moment.


Honestly: You are right, but you will never change Loz opinion about it which we have all heard 100 times by now...
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #103  
Old 18.04.2016, 16:33
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 183 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
There's ALWAYS been war and terror raging all over Africa.

I reserve the same level of sympathy for people dying by trying to cross the Med in a rubber dinghy as I did for the deaths Steve Irwin and Michael Hutchence.
Like I said you are a lovely person, and gosh I would like to invite you over for tea and cake sometime
  #104  
Old 18.04.2016, 16:41
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 183 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Honestly: You are right, but you will never change Loz opinion about it which we have all heard 100 times by now...
I know, but if we all have to read that opinion that bile a 100 times, then somebody should reply to show that its not universal at least a 100 times.
  #105  
Old 18.04.2016, 16:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Like I said you are a lovely person, and gosh I would like to invite you over for tea and cake sometime
I would come but I'm not all that into gluten, dairy and refined sugar free quinoa cake.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #106  
Old 18.04.2016, 16:48
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,212
Groaned at 135 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 8,978 Times in 3,394 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
So do you think it should be easier for them to come to Europe to avoid deaths?
You are not getting this, screw the Balkan route, it´s history.
The 7000 a day are still a coming though, the backlog is still there, 400 are coming from Egypt, (speculating here) 600 From Tunisa, 899 again from Egypt, 1200 from Libya the rest from some godforsaken bit of coast, who knows.
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #107  
Old 18.04.2016, 16:49
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,888
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
I know, but if we all have to read that opinion that bile a 100 times, then somebody should reply to show that its not universal at least a 100 times.
Do you mean like this?

Quote:
All play and no work make Loz spout bile. All play and no work make Loz spout bile. All play and no work make Loz spout bile. All play and no work make Loz spout bile. All play and no work make Loz spout bile.
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #108  
Old 18.04.2016, 16:53
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 183 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
I would come but I'm not all that into gluten, dairy and refined sugar free quinoa cake.
Theres nothing wrong with my quinoa cake!
  #109  
Old 18.04.2016, 17:00
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,212
Groaned at 135 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 8,978 Times in 3,394 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Theres nothing wrong with my quinoa cake!
No wonder the refugees are all heading your way...
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #110  
Old 18.04.2016, 17:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
You are not getting this, screw the Balkan route, it´s history.
The 7000 a day are still a coming though, the backlog is still there, 400 are coming from Egypt, (speculating here) 600 From Tunisa, 899 again from Egypt, 1200 from Libya the rest from some godforsaken bit of coast, who knows.
We'll see won't we. You may well be right, I still think that the Med will prove to be enough of a barrier to avoid the million and a half arrivals that came last year.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #111  
Old 18.04.2016, 17:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,139
Groaned at 219 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

There are plenty of safe countries surrounding Somalia
The following 3 users would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #112  
Old 18.04.2016, 17:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,139
Groaned at 219 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
We'll see won't we. You may well be right, I still think that the Med will prove to be enough of a barrier to avoid the million and a half arrivals that came last year.
Not when stupid countries keep picking them up and transport them directly to Europe.
The following 3 users would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #113  
Old 18.04.2016, 17:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Not refugees, because nobody is fleeing fighting in Somalia? So much sympathy for death and those fleeing conflict and instability, wow you truly are a nice person!

https://www.amnesty.ch/de/laender/af...FTUW0wodmZcGMw

There is war and terror being waged all over Africa at the moment.


Why is war being waged all over Africa?

The tribes have always fought one another. When one tribe wins, the other begins conflict all over. It never ended, and it will never end. It is their way of life.

Europe looks attractive on TV from over there. Beautiful homes, modern transport, fashionably dressed people, fully stocked shops, fun, leisure, etc. They will bring themselves to Europe, with all their baggage, and begin to wage their skirmishes here, first among themselves and their opposing ethnic compatriots/neighbors, and then on the Europeans, till the cities here look like what they ran away from. And the indigenous Europeans live behind barred windows and security fencing.

What Europeans fail to understand is that the African cultures/values are just different to the European way. Empathy and pity is not a common attribute to the African way. Empathy and pity are considered "being soft" and must be taken advantage of. Push and take until there is nothing left to take.

Okay, so my words here will offend many on EF, but only those who have never lived in Africa.

As for travelling North to Europe - anyone wonder why they simply don`t travel South? It`s warmer there too. Most of the South of Africa (not only South Africa on the far end) have no wars. They also do not have any free social amenities, stocked shops, nice cars and houses (except the governing elite of course) etc ........ or empathy or pity for their own kind. ( "kind" as in fellow Black people).
This user would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
  #114  
Old 18.04.2016, 17:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
There are plenty of safe countries surrounding Somalia
Exactly, or at least nearer than Europe, and easier to travel to.

But for the same reasons their own country is collapsing ...... too many varying ethnic groups, all fighting each other, and Europe just looks a nicer place to begin all over again - until it too looks like the ruined cities in every other African country.

Cities in Africa were built in the Colonial times by Europeans (British, French, Belgians, Germans) - then the Europeans left - and the cities began degrading, until now all that is left are remains resembling something from a Mad Max movie, surrounded by vast slums.
The following 2 users would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
  #115  
Old 18.04.2016, 18:00
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 186 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Okay, so my words here will offend many on EF, but only those who have never lived in Africa.
No just the idiots who do not know enough about the suburbs of Paris , or the rapes in Sweden or anywhere else where this social experiment has been tried - and failed - at tremendous social , financial and societal cost.

The BBC loves to go on about the enormous cost that paedophile Catholic priests caused but why do we hear nothing about the Cologne victims or those in Sweden where rape and assault statistics have rocketed ???
The following 2 users would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #116  
Old 18.04.2016, 18:04
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 227 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post

Cities in Africa were built in the Colonial times by Europeans (British, French, Belgians, Germans) - then the Europeans left - and the cities began degrading, until now all that is left are remains resembling something from a Mad Max movie, surrounded by vast slums.
Maybe it would be OK to allow cities to decline in an agrarian society that has no use for them and whose culture doesn't accomodate them. Not everything that somebody built at some point in history should necessarily continue existing forever.

But in fact the reverse is mostly true. Most African cities are growing like crazy with internal migration pushing people from the land to the cities.

Of course living conditions there are awful for the poor and many people are barely able to sustain themsleves.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #117  
Old 18.04.2016, 18:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Maybe it would be OK to allow cities to decline in an agrarian society that has no use for them and whose culture doesn't accomodate them. Not everything that somebody built at some point in history should necessarily continue existing forever.

But in fact the reverse is mostly true. Most African cities are growing like crazy with internal migration pushing people from the land to the cities.

Of course living conditions there are awful for the poor and many people are barely able to sustain themsleves.
Oh yes, they are growing alright!

Like Johannesburg? From the air it looks like a functioning city. Try and walk in it, is another story. Buildings have long been abandoned by the owners because the apartments are crammed full of people who refuse to pay anything, lifts dont work and are used for garbage disposal. Some have no electricity and cooking is on open fires in apartments/balconies. Shopping is at sidewalk stalls amidst flies, cockroaches, rats, thieves and pickpockets.

Take a taxi in the city - it has no doorhandles on back seat doors, to make sure you pay before exiting cab.

Outside Johannesburg is an enormous "new" area of living called Diepkloof - unemployment is 90%. The only profitable brothels and bars are run by Government cabinet ministers relatives. Any other type of business is soon destroyed by locals.

A couple years ago I returned to Durban. My brother-in-law wanted to show my Swiss friend Durban city. First instruction was to lock the doors, hide handbags. The old main streets were full of children beggars, cripple beggars, swarms of people ignoring crossings. Gone are the supermarkets, clothing stores like Woolworths, etc. Big gaping holes in the walls, and broken windows.

Another relative there had their licence number ripped off their car by a "crazy guy" in the street. The police brought it back to him saying "This person says you knocked him down and he "got your licence plate number" so your insurance can pay him his compensation money.
The following 2 users would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
  #118  
Old 18.04.2016, 18:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Maybe it would be OK to allow cities to decline in an agrarian society that has no use for them and whose culture doesn't accomodate them. Not everything that somebody built at some point in history should necessarily continue existing forever.

But in fact the reverse is mostly true. Most African cities are growing like crazy with internal migration pushing people from the land to the cities.

Of course living conditions there are awful for the poor and many people are barely able to sustain themsleves.
I`m pretty sure that if Europeans continued to produce an average of 12 children per family they too would have a problem with sustaining themselves? Or taking 3 or 4 wives and each produce that number of children? Tribal lore allows many wives if the man can pay Lobolo for them. Doesnt matter if he can support the children or not.

If one takes note of photos of the starving multitudes that the media like to publish, you will note that the children are starving to death before the adults begin to lose weight. It is their way. Children who cannot help with support are dispensable and a burden in a food shortage. Before the men go hungry, the women will starve. Last to starve are the men. Grim fact.
This user would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
  #119  
Old 18.04.2016, 20:40
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,212
Groaned at 135 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 8,978 Times in 3,394 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
We'll see won't we. You may well be right, I still think that the Med will prove to be enough of a barrier to avoid the million and a half arrivals that came last year.
Ok so maybe there wont be a million or two, perhaps only 200.000 or even less, thing is that the death count will be much, much, much less if the Balkan route would have stayed open, the future will see but methinks that in a few years the politicians who closed the route will be called massmurderers in the clickbait of yonder times.

Last edited by slammer; 18.04.2016 at 20:50.
  #120  
Old 18.04.2016, 21:02
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 186 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migrants, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Other terms?

Quote:
View Post
Ok so maybe there wont be a million or two, perhaps only 200.000 or even less, thing is that the death count will be much, much, much less if the Balkan route would have stayed open, the future will see but methinks that in a few years the politicians who closed the route will be called massmurderers in the clickbait of yonder times.
Of course if all routes could be properly sealed and or the financial incentive for people to immigrate illegally removed then the death rate would quickly reduce to zero. That'd be great wouldn't it ?
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asylum Seekers are Thieves Guest Swiss politics/news 284 09.08.2013 22:31
Violent asylum seekers? Odile Swiss politics/news 189 19.11.2012 09:41
US Asylum Seekers in Switzerland? Jumping Captain International affairs/politics 24 22.10.2012 23:09
Marriage loophole closing for asylum seekers The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 15.02.2012 11:46
Asylum seekers sanding off fingertips: report The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 06.02.2012 15:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0