English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   International affairs/politics (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/)
-   -   Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac (https://www.englishforum.ch/international-affairs-politics/240815-binding-sacrifice-isaac.html)

Caramelized 22.09.2015 12:51

Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
When Abraham was tested for fulfillment of God's command, Abraham was successful in the test and no binding was occurred.

This event is celebrated by muslims known as Eid al-Adha

This event is also mentioned in bible and Torah but why it is not celebrated at all in west?

lets discuss :)

i-b-deborah 22.09.2015 12:59

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Yeah, this was one of God's better "only pulling your leg!" moments. Abraham and Isaac must have laughed hard at that one.

Guest 22.09.2015 13:01

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Who wants popcorn?

Guest 22.09.2015 13:04

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Define "the West".

i-b-deborah 22.09.2015 13:05

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
I ate half of the wabbit, you can have the west.

Quote:

Define "the West".

Caramelized 22.09.2015 13:12

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
ok, this was a sincere question for religious people and all wanna be clowns(trolls) can find another thread to be funny.

thanks

Longbyt 22.09.2015 13:17

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
I believe there are quite a lot of occasions in the Bible where God tests his people, or allows them to be tested. I don't understand it at all. However, I don't necessarily make jokes about things I don't understand.
The reason why Abraham's trial is celebrated by some 'religious communities' (for want of a better phrase - I guess DB has a better one) and not by others? I have no idea. I don't know why this particular testing is 'chosen' by those who DO celebrate it either.

Would this also be an interesting theme for discussion?

Patxi 22.09.2015 13:18

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caramelized (Post 2453586)
ok, this was a sincere question for religious people and all wanna be clowns(trolls) can find another thread to be funny.

thanks

Religious studies/questions are for pussies. Who needs friends when God's on your side?

The_Love_Doctor 22.09.2015 13:19

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caramelized (Post 2453576)
This event is also mentioned in bible and Torah but why it is not celebrated at all in west?

Because animal slaughter is illegal outside licensed premises / abattoirs in most "western" countries.

Tom1234 22.09.2015 13:21

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caramelized (Post 2453586)
ok, this was a sincere question for religious people and all wanna be clowns(trolls) can find another thread to be funny.

thanks

Surely a forum such as http://www.religiousforums.com/ would be better for these sort of discussions so you can discuss amongst like-minded individuals rather than the unworthy infidels on this forum?

Clumsy Maman 22.09.2015 13:24

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
I don't know why people in the "West" don't do these sacrifices!!?!? If I take a guess, maybe for the same reasons why most people in the "West " are against female genital mutilation, kids getting married when they are 10! Some customs (nothing to do with religion, if one believes my friend who is well learned in the Koran), are just too barbaric to continue in this day and age.

Personally, I prefer my meat from the butchers (killed in a civilised way)! ;)

roegner 22.09.2015 13:24

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Why should Christians want to celebrate this? Why do Muslims celebrate this?

If you had read the Torah you would know that the jewish people have their "festivities" (for lack of a better word) written down in the Thora. So why should they celebrate a muslim thing?

Caramelized 22.09.2015 13:24

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
thankyou Longbyte for staying on the topic.

Isaac being born to Abraham after a lot of prayers and long time, Abraham was one hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him. he was his most beloved son and this was a test that only a father who waited so long for birth of his first child can understand.

we are celebrating Abraham was successful in his test and we celebrate the feast of sacrifice.

newtoswitz 22.09.2015 13:25

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caramelized (Post 2453586)
ok, this was a sincere question for religious people and all wanna be clowns(trolls) can find another thread to be funny.

thanks

Why when you've started such an excellent one already?

A troll is someone who posts to a forum with the intension of causing annoyance and controversy. It would take all of five minutes reading previous EF posts in this section to realise your posting of a religious question fits that definition almost perfectly.

Amusing name though - I guess you've been burned :cool:

AbFab 22.09.2015 13:26

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caramelized (Post 2453576)
When Abraham was tested for fulfillment of God's command, Abraham was successful in the test and no binding was occurred.

This event is celebrated by muslims known as Eid al-Adha

This event is also mentioned in bible and Torah but why it is not celebrated at all in west?

lets discuss :)

It's not celebrated in the "West" as we are Christian - on and off. You are referring to the Bible's Old Testement. We do not celebrate many Old Testement events...

Island Monkey 22.09.2015 13:26

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caramelized (Post 2453600)
Abraham was one hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him.

Because people lived that long back then .... :rolleyes:

Caramelized 22.09.2015 13:27

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clumsy Maman (Post 2453597)
I don't know why people in the "West" don't do these sacrifices!!?!? If I take a guess, maybe for the same reasons why most people in the "West " are against female genital mutilation, kids getting married when they are 10! Some customs (nothing to do with religion, if one believes my friend who is well learned in the Koran), are just too barbaric to continue in this day and age.

Personally, I prefer my meat from the butchers (killed in a civilised way)! ;)

female genital mutilation, kids getting married when they are 10! are not religious, stop your nonsense and barbarism, you have no clue what you are talking about, nonsense!!

Caramelized 22.09.2015 13:29

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roegner (Post 2453598)
Why should Christians want to celebrate this? Why do Muslims celebrate this?

If you had read the Thora you would know that the jewish people have their "festivities" (for lack of a better word) written down in the Thora. So why should they celebrate a muslim thing?

As i mentioned, it is not only a muslim thing, the event is mentioned in Thora and Bible also

Guest 22.09.2015 13:30

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Are you going to answer my question, Caramelised?


I can't answer yours if you're not prepared to clarify your terms.

Guest 22.09.2015 13:30

Re: Binding/Sacrifice of Isaac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by i-b-deborah (Post 2453583)
I ate half of the wabbit, you can have the west.

You eat the wabbit, I eat my popcorn with butter. Maybe we should add something for the wegans? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caramelized (Post 2453605)
female genital mutilation, kids getting married when they are 10! are not religious, stop your nonsense and barbarism, you have no clue what you are talking about, nonsense!!

Here we go - the know-it-all claiming to be religious troll. And it isn't even Friday yet...


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:51.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0