Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2261  
Old 29.05.2018, 22:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
So it's Ok for you to generalise individual cases and blow them out of proportion but not for others.

Figures.
What individual cases do I generalise and blow out of all proportion?
Reply With Quote
  #2262  
Old 30.05.2018, 14:28
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 183 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
I support rewarding heroes, it encourages others to be heroic.
Or, not wanting to sound cynical, to stage a similar stunt.

I am quite surprised nobody on here has argued that it could have been staged in order to gain citizenship, or even more conspiritoraly staged by the government as a PR exercise.

He has been given a 10 month internship with the Firebrigade so not actually hired. He has the language skills as he is Malian and I assume he would pass the physical. I say good on him, he risked his life to help that kid, although I am not the only one to think the hypocritical PR exercise by Macron is cringeworthy.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TobiasM for this useful post:
  #2263  
Old 30.05.2018, 14:39
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,720
Groaned at 143 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,833 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

He's certainly a hero for rescuing the child. And Macron has the power to make him a French citizen. Does that mean that his one year prison sentence for entering the country illegally will be waived, as well?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43860880

He's being used as a societal ego rub.
Reply With Quote
  #2264  
Old 30.05.2018, 15:34
Rob's Avatar
Rob Rob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Baden AG
Posts: 464
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,337 Times in 520 Posts
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

http://newsthump.com/2018/05/29/form...erts-to-islam/
Reply With Quote
  #2265  
Old 30.05.2018, 16:32
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 186 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Or, not wanting to sound cynical, to stage a similar stunt.

I am quite surprised nobody on here has argued that it could have been staged in order to gain citizenship, or even more conspiritoraly staged by the government as a PR exercise.

He has been given a 10 month internship with the Firebrigade so not actually hired. He has the language skills as he is Malian and I assume he would pass the physical. I say good on him, he risked his life to help that kid, although I am not the only one to think the hypocritical PR exercise by Macron is cringeworthy.
Good post - would have posted similar but thought you'd have the pitch pork ready. The interesting thing to watch if there will be a spate of highly unlikely situations engineered to make some migrants appear to be heroes in the near future. Also agree on Macron although in fairness he seems to have more of a clue than Merkel.
Reply With Quote
  #2266  
Old 30.05.2018, 17:19
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,858
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,674 Times in 9,621 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Good post - would have posted similar but thought you'd have the pitch pork ready. The interesting thing to watch if there will be a spate of highly unlikely situations engineered to make some migrants appear to be heroes in the near future. Also agree on Macron although in fairness he seems to have more of a clue than Merkel.
I don't think you necessarily need to engineer a situation to play it to its maximum. Stuff happens all the time ,and it happens everywhere. Good stuff. Bad stuff. Unexpected stuff. Really mind boggling stuff. Cruel stuff. Inspiring and uplifting stuff. But people, whether in the the press or in this case a politician, will pick up on stuff that suits their narrative and ignore stuff that doesn't. Trump does this all the time. It's a mistake to assume he's the only one.
Reply With Quote
  #2267  
Old 30.05.2018, 20:05
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 6,595
Groaned at 297 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 15,244 Times in 4,666 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

So it's Ramadan and many Muslims are fasting. It's a special time but due to its physical effects, it's also a time to be careful. Accidents in Muslim predominant countries peak during Ramadan. I wonder if more accidents occur here as well?

http://www.roadsafetyuae.com/ramadan/
Reply With Quote
  #2268  
Old 30.05.2018, 20:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,745
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,122 Times in 7,275 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
He's certainly a hero for rescuing the child. And Macron has the power to make him a French citizen. Does that mean that his one year prison sentence for entering the country illegally will be waived, as well?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43860880

He's being used as a societal ego rub.
Societal ego rub you call it, hmmmm, maybe. The French do have a problem with illegal immigration and it's very visible especially in Paris. I would say they are holding up pretty well.
But I can't for the life of me see where will all those people will work and what. There were strikes after strikes in France, the French I know are deeply dissatisfied with the state of their country. Macron wants to reform the country's labour laws and the EU, while not being able to find a solution for more pressing problems...

Last edited by greenmount; 30.05.2018 at 20:35.
Reply With Quote
  #2269  
Old 31.05.2018, 13:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,134
Groaned at 385 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 10,568 Times in 5,578 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Off topic but I really wonder:
Why do you - and you do that a lot - take the names out of the quotes?
Is that on purpose or a mistake?
I don't.

Quoting the text I reply to often doesn't work for me so I have to enter it manually, piece the quote together if you will. Usually I can't be bothered to add the poster's nick.
Reply With Quote
  #2270  
Old 31.05.2018, 13:32
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,858
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,674 Times in 9,621 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Societal ego rub you call it, hmmmm, maybe. The French do have a problem with illegal immigration and it's very visible especially in Paris. I would say they are holding up pretty well.
But I can't for the life of me see where will all those people will work and what. There were strikes after strikes in France, the French I know are deeply dissatisfied with the state of their country. Macron wants to reform the country's labour laws and the EU, while not being able to find a solution for more pressing problems...
Not all the dark skinned people in Paris are illegals. France has had a relatively liberal immigration policy for many decades. The French have also had their share of problems caused by inadequate integration. I don't think the problem is worse now than it has been in the past.

But you are right that Mactron doesn't seem to be getting at the root of the problem. Too many priorities, too much talk. Too much of an ivory tower approach. No real plan. Just look at me, how cool ii am, There is definitely something to the talk calling him the French Obama. Even his supporters call him that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #2271  
Old 31.05.2018, 13:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,745
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,122 Times in 7,275 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Not all the dark skinned people in Paris are illegals. France has had a relatively liberal immigration policy for many decades. The Frebch have also had their share of problems caused by inadequate integration. I don't think the problem is worse now than it has been in the past.

But you are right that Mactron doesn't seem to be getting at the root of the problem. Too many priorities, too much talk. Too much of an ivory tower approach. No real plan. Just look at me, how cool is m, There is definitely something to the talk calling him the French Obama.
Hmmm, your post made me smile. You made some projections there. I didn't want to be too graphic, but I was referring to the refugee tents and camps in a few areas (and around), not to dark skinned people in general. Of course not all dark skinned people in Paris are illegals. The situation seemed pretty dire for the refugees - I assume they were given some sort of temporary status, they also have some people regularly checking up on them. Last time I visited, quite recently, our hotel was in one of those areas so I could see it myself. (Gare du Nord area for instance)
Reply With Quote
  #2272  
Old 31.05.2018, 13:47
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,858
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,674 Times in 9,621 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm, your post made me smile. You made some projections there. I didn't want to be too graphic, but I was referring to the refugee tents and camps in a few areas (and around), not to dark skinned people in general. Of course not all dark skinned people in Paris are illegals. The situation seemed pretty dire for the refugees - I assume they were given some sort of temporary status, they also have some people regularly checking up on them. Last time I visited, quite recently, our hotel was in one of those areas so I could see it myself. (Gare du Nord area for instance)
Even the so called bidonvilles have been part of French reality for since as long as I can remember. I would even venture to say it's not as bad any more as it once was.f

Not everybody who lives like that is illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #2273  
Old 31.05.2018, 14:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,745
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,122 Times in 7,275 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
But you are right that Mactron doesn't seem to be getting at the root of the problem. Too many priorities, too much talk. Too much of an ivory tower approach. No real plan. Just look at me, how cool ii am, There is definitely something to the talk calling him the French Obama. Even his supporters call him that.

Yeah, although he's charming and cute, knows how to talk, blah blah blah, I guess being so (relatively) young - more like looking so young in reality - attracts a lot of hostility around him . We'll see. :-)

Btw, he's trying to move in the opposite direction than Obama actually, don't see why the comparison.
Reply With Quote
  #2274  
Old 01.06.2018, 00:20
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,742
Groaned at 429 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 17,790 Times in 9,495 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Not sure if this is the best thread but anyway
Quote:
European judges have ruled that Lithuania and Romania violated the rights of two al-Qaeda terror suspects by allowing the CIA to torture them.

The US captured Abu Zubaydah and Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri after the September 2001 attacks in the US and they are now at the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba.

The CIA operated secret prisons, including in Lithuania and Romania.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) said both countries had violated the European prohibition of torture.
Source

Maybe these countries, like Poland, needed the money
Reply With Quote
  #2275  
Old 01.06.2018, 00:57
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,742
Groaned at 429 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 17,790 Times in 9,495 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Some good news from a report issued today
Quote:
Germany is making progress towards integrating its large refugee population into the labour market, .

A report by the state-funded Institute for Employment Research (IAB) said refugee unemployment has dropped from 50.5 per cent to 40.5 per cent.
Reply With Quote
  #2276  
Old 01.06.2018, 09:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,745
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,122 Times in 7,275 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Not sure if this is the best thread but anyway


Source

Maybe these countries, like Poland, needed the money
Maybe they needed to support their only reliable partner these days. Which, btw, it's not EU. It never was? At least not for all and each EE country....I guess, each to their own. It's like in a marriage - when one partner is constantly looked down upon and under-appreciated, they look for happiness somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #2277  
Old 01.06.2018, 11:48
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,858
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,674 Times in 9,621 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, although he's charming and cute, knows how to talk, blah blah blah, I guess being so (relatively) young - more like looking so young in reality - attracts a lot of hostility around him . We'll see. :-)

Btw, he's trying to move in the opposite direction than Obama actually, don't see why the comparison.
Because, as you say, Bith men have a cult following revolving around good looks and charm, both an have lots of grand ideas, both men can talk the talk and get people excited over grand words and meaningless promises, both men are incorrigible statists, great men sent by God to lead the mass of unworthy fools, but when it comes down to delivering on all that, they fail and blame others.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #2278  
Old 01.06.2018, 12:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bern
Posts: 6
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Humank has made some interesting contributions
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

1. Non-Muslims make up the majority of terrorists in the United States: According to the FBI, 94% of terrorist attacks carried out in the United States from 1980 to 2005 have been by non-Muslims. This means that an American terrorist suspect is over nine times more likely to be a non-Muslim than a Muslim. According to this same report, there were more Jewish acts of terrorism in the United States than Islamic, yet when was the last time we heard about the threat of Jewish terrorism in the media? For the same exact reasons that we cannot blame the entire religion of Judaism or Christianity for the violent actions of those carrying out crimes under the names of these religions, we have absolutely no justifiable grounds to blame Muslims for terrorism.

2. Non-Muslims make up the majority of terrorists in Europe: There have been over one thousand terrorist attacks in Europe in the past five years. Take a guess at what percent of those terrorists were Muslim. Wrong, now guess again. It’s less than 2%.

3. Even if all terrorist attacks were carried out by Muslims, you still could not associate terrorism with Islam: There have been 140,000 terror attacks committed worldwide since 1970. Even if Muslims carried out all of these attacks (which is an absurd assumption given the fact mentioned in my first point), those terrorists would represent less than 0.00009 percent of all Muslims. To put things into perspective, this means that you are more likely to be struck by lightening in your lifetime than a Muslim is likely to commit a terrorist attack during that same timespan.

4. If all Muslims are terrorists, then all Muslims are peacemakers: The same statistical assumptions being used to falsely portray Muslims as violent people can be used more accurately to portray Muslims as peaceful people. If all Muslims are terrorists because a single digit percentage of terrorists happen to be Muslim, then all Muslims are peacemakers because 5 out of the past 12 Nobel Peace Prize winners (42 percent) have been Muslims.

5. If you are scared of Muslims then you should also be scared of household furniture and toddlers: A study carried out by the University of North Carolina showed that less than 0.0002% of Americans killed since 9/11 were killed by Muslims. (Ironically, this study was done in Chapel Hill: the same place where a Caucasian non-Muslim killed three innocent Muslims as the mainstream media brushed this terrorist attack off as a parking dispute). Based on these numbers, and those of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the average American is more likely to be crushed to death by their couch or television than they are to be killed by a Muslim. As a matter of fact, Americans were more likely to be killed by a toddler in 2013 than they were by a so-called “Muslim terrorist”.

When a drunk driver causes a car accident, we never blame the car manufacturer for the violent actions of that driver. This is because we understand that we cannot blame an entire car company that produces millions of safe vehicles just because one of their cars was hijacked by a reckless person who used it to cause harm. So what right do we have to blame an entire religion of over 1.6 Billion peaceful people because of the actions of a relatively insignificant few?

I will not deny that terrorism is a real threat, it definitely is. However, it is extremely incorrect to associate the words “Muslim” and “terrorist” when literally all the facts implore you to do otherwise. The only way that we as Americans can defeat terrorism at home and across the world is by accurately targeting its root causes. There have been 355 mass shootings in the United States this year and falsely blaming Muslims for the San Bernardino shooting will do absolutely nothing to address this serious problem. It is time that we begin addressing terrorism on an educated and factual level.

As an American Muslim, I plead you all to deeply consider the facts mentioned here the next time you see a news headline about Muslims and terrorism. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that”. We cannot allow the disparity in media coverage to blind us from the facts and turn us into hateful people, we are smarter than that.
Reply With Quote
  #2279  
Old 01.06.2018, 12:18
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 186 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Any chance of a source for any of that ??
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #2280  
Old 01.06.2018, 12:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,699
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 733 Posts
Thanked 18,066 Times in 7,032 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
1. Non-Muslims make up the majority of terrorists in the United States: According to the FBI, 94% of terrorist attacks carried out in the United States from 1980 to 2005 have been by non-Muslims. This means that an American terrorist suspect is over nine times more likely to be a non-Muslim than a Muslim. According to this same report, there were more Jewish acts of terrorism in the United States than Islamic, yet when was the last time we heard about the threat of Jewish terrorism in the media? For the same exact reasons that we cannot blame the entire religion of Judaism or Christianity for the violent actions of those carrying out crimes under the names of these religions, we have absolutely no justifiable grounds to blame Muslims for terrorism.

2. Non-Muslims make up the majority of terrorists in Europe: There have been over one thousand terrorist attacks in Europe in the past five years. Take a guess at what percent of those terrorists were Muslim. Wrong, now guess again. It’s less than 2%.

3. Even if all terrorist attacks were carried out by Muslims, you still could not associate terrorism with Islam: There have been 140,000 terror attacks committed worldwide since 1970. Even if Muslims carried out all of these attacks (which is an absurd assumption given the fact mentioned in my first point), those terrorists would represent less than 0.00009 percent of all Muslims. To put things into perspective, this means that you are more likely to be struck by lightening in your lifetime than a Muslim is likely to commit a terrorist attack during that same timespan.

4. If all Muslims are terrorists, then all Muslims are peacemakers: The same statistical assumptions being used to falsely portray Muslims as violent people can be used more accurately to portray Muslims as peaceful people. If all Muslims are terrorists because a single digit percentage of terrorists happen to be Muslim, then all Muslims are peacemakers because 5 out of the past 12 Nobel Peace Prize winners (42 percent) have been Muslims.

5. If you are scared of Muslims then you should also be scared of household furniture and toddlers: A study carried out by the University of North Carolina showed that less than 0.0002% of Americans killed since 9/11 were killed by Muslims. (Ironically, this study was done in Chapel Hill: the same place where a Caucasian non-Muslim killed three innocent Muslims as the mainstream media brushed this terrorist attack off as a parking dispute). Based on these numbers, and those of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the average American is more likely to be crushed to death by their couch or television than they are to be killed by a Muslim. As a matter of fact, Americans were more likely to be killed by a toddler in 2013 than they were by a so-called “Muslim terrorist”.

When a drunk driver causes a car accident, we never blame the car manufacturer for the violent actions of that driver. This is because we understand that we cannot blame an entire car company that produces millions of safe vehicles just because one of their cars was hijacked by a reckless person who used it to cause harm. So what right do we have to blame an entire religion of over 1.6 Billion peaceful people because of the actions of a relatively insignificant few?

I will not deny that terrorism is a real threat, it definitely is. However, it is extremely incorrect to associate the words “Muslim” and “terrorist” when literally all the facts implore you to do otherwise. The only way that we as Americans can defeat terrorism at home and across the world is by accurately targeting its root causes. There have been 355 mass shootings in the United States this year and falsely blaming Muslims for the San Bernardino shooting will do absolutely nothing to address this serious problem. It is time that we begin addressing terrorism on an educated and factual level.

As an American Muslim, I plead you all to deeply consider the facts mentioned here the next time you see a news headline about Muslims and terrorism. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that”. We cannot allow the disparity in media coverage to blind us from the facts and turn us into hateful people, we are smarter than that.
I don't think anyone can argue that all terrorism is related to Muslims. But the problem is that the ideology of Muslim extremists is nothing less than the destruction of the West. That and the meaning behind each act makes it in my view the single worst type of terrorism there is, and a direct existential threat.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will borders with CH be affected after terrorist attacks? McTAVGE Daily life 19 15.11.2015 18:14
The All Muslims are evil thread bigblue2 General off-topic 4 27.08.2010 15:46
Confused about coverage in rest of Europe on Swiss Health Insurance Wingnut Insurance 8 15.12.2008 09:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0