Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #741  
Old 14.12.2016, 13:27
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,210
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Very interesting article about perception of muslim population in Europe & other countries conducted by Pew Research in 2016.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #742  
Old 16.12.2016, 14:56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Zurih
Posts: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wiggles has no particular reputation at present
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Our moderate friends at CAIR celebrate the terrorist who shot to death a 60 year old Israeli woman.
Written by the same buffoon who said Birmingham in the UK was 100% Muslim and a no-go area for non Muslims?

Yeah, you should really stop posting this crap.
Reply With Quote
  #743  
Old 16.12.2016, 14:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Zurih
Posts: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wiggles has no particular reputation at present
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Very interesting article about perception of muslim population in Europe & other countries conducted by Pew Research in 2016.
I'll bet there's a correlation between the rise in the number of negative articles in mainstream media about muslims, and the perception that there are more of them than in reality...
Reply With Quote
  #744  
Old 16.12.2016, 15:13
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: -
Posts: 247
Groaned at 141 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 2,085 Times in 996 Posts
kriss kross has earned some respectkriss kross has earned some respect
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
I'll bet there's a correlation between the rise in the number of negative articles in mainstream media about muslims, and the perception that there are more of them than in reality...
Perhaps they just shouldn't report the news if it's negative and involves muslims?

12 year old Iraqi-German twice attempted to detonate a nail bomb at the Christmas market in Ludwigshafen.
Reply With Quote
  #745  
Old 22.12.2016, 14:44
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,749
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,850 Times in 9,526 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps they just shouldn't report the news if it's negative and involves muslims?

12 year old Iraqi-German twice attempted to detonate a nail bomb at the Christmas market in Ludwigshafen.
Simply balance it with positive news!
Liviu Dragnea, chairman of Romania’s Social Democratic party, which won the Dec. 11 parliamentary election, proposed Wednesday that Sevil Shhaideh take the post of prime minister.
The announcement was a surprise because her name is not widely known in Romania.
Sevil Shhaideh is a member of the Muslim community

BTW, this 12 year old Iraqi-German was borne in Germany so why are they described as "Iraqi-German"; now how can we spin this around to blame Merkel?
Suggestions please from the usual suspects
Reply With Quote
  #746  
Old 25.12.2016, 03:05
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,749
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,850 Times in 9,526 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Demo against terror and anti-Islam; the association Islamic Youth Switzerland called for a rally today in the Zurich Helvetiaplatz.

Only about 60 people turned up, I suppose Christmas shopping was more important?

Source
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #747  
Old 25.12.2016, 04:15
manwithnoname's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 466
Groaned at 66 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
manwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Demo against terror and anti-Islam; the association Islamic Youth Switzerland called for a rally today in the Zurich Helvetiaplatz.

Only about 60 people turned up, I suppose Christmas shopping was more important?

Source
only 60 people in zurich that are both against terrorism and anti anti islam. thats telling. 61 if you were doing christmas shopping.

nobody showed up because they walk around with retarded signs like: "Wer Ja sagt zu Islamophobie, sagt auch Ja zu Terrorismus" and "IS-Terror und Islamophobie sind zwei Seiten derselben Medaille" and basically equate berlin attack with zurich attack according to the article.

muslims speaking out about terrorism from their religion and it's still about how they are the real victim. and then pretty much blame the non muslims for not showing up at their failed demonstration. lol.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank manwithnoname for this useful post:
  #748  
Old 25.12.2016, 09:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,718
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 733 Posts
Thanked 18,107 Times in 7,046 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Demo against terror and anti-Islam; the association Islamic Youth Switzerland called for a rally today in the Zurich Helvetiaplatz.

Only about 60 people turned up, I suppose Christmas shopping was more important?

Source
I would consider my Christmas shopping more important than that rally.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #749  
Old 25.12.2016, 11:41
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,681
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,861 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
only 60 people in zurich that are both against terrorism and anti anti islam. thats telling. 61 if you were doing christmas shopping.

nobody showed up because they walk around with retarded signs like: "Wer Ja sagt zu Islamophobie, sagt auch Ja zu Terrorismus" and "IS-Terror und Islamophobie sind zwei Seiten derselben Medaille" and basically equate berlin attack with zurich attack according to the article.

muslims speaking out about terrorism from their religion and it's still about how they are the real victim. and then pretty much blame the non muslims for not showing up at their failed demonstration. lol.
It is kind of puzzling, isn't it. Demo against "islam-hostility and terror"? Which one now? Sounds to me like "against the chickens and the eggs as we don't know really which one started this whole mess". (And boom, it almost makes sense. LOL)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #750  
Old 25.12.2016, 15:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,154
Groaned at 385 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 10,588 Times in 5,589 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
It is kind of puzzling, isn't it. Demo against "islam-hostility and terror"? Which one now? Sounds to me like "against the chickens and the eggs as we don't know really which one started this whole mess". (And boom, it almost makes sense. LOL)
Why are the two mutually exclusive?

By chosing that motto the organizers make it clear that the rally isn't "anti anti-Islam, pro terror", as undoubtedly certain EF members would have insinuated if they got the chance.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
This user groans at Urs Max for this post:
  #751  
Old 05.01.2017, 14:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,154
Groaned at 385 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 10,588 Times in 5,589 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Real Houswives of ISIS
by the BBC
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #752  
Old 11.01.2017, 09:47
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,638
Groaned at 384 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 16,584 Times in 9,368 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

FINALLY! A country has banned the burka for the right reason - Security!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38574457

Thank you Morocco.

With increasing nutcases attacking innocent people around the world, no one no matter what their religion should be against this simple security measure. Faces must be seen at all times when outside of your own home.

The niqab should also be banned for the same reason.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #753  
Old 11.01.2017, 10:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,718
Groaned at 1,063 Times in 733 Posts
Thanked 18,107 Times in 7,046 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
FINALLY! A country has banned the burka for the right reason - Security!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38574457

Thank you Morocco.

With increasing nutcases attacking innocent people around the world, no one no matter what their religion should be against this simple security measure. Faces must be seen at all times when outside of your own home.

The niqab should also be banned for the same reason.
Hear hear.
Reply With Quote
  #754  
Old 11.01.2017, 11:29
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 186 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
FINALLY! A country has banned the burka for the right reason - Security!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38574457

Thank you Morocco.

With increasing nutcases attacking innocent people around the world, no one no matter what their religion should be against this simple security measure. Faces must be seen at all times when outside of your own home.

The niqab should also be banned for the same reason.
Curiously I can't imagine the Islamic world going up in arms and burning flags over Morocco doing this - as per the Danish cartoons episode.
Reply With Quote
  #755  
Old 11.01.2017, 11:42
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,423
Groaned at 113 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 16,157 Times in 5,151 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Curiously I can't imagine the Islamic world going up in arms and burning flags over Morocco doing this - as per the Danish cartoons episode.
Logical thinking would bring you to the answer.

The Burka (all enveloping outer garment) is shunned by the overwhelming majority of modern day Muslims, its hardly worn anywhere except the most conservative and tribal areas of Afghanistan, Yemen etc..

Therefore its reasonable to assume that most Muslims would have no problem accepting its banning.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #756  
Old 11.01.2017, 11:54
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,638
Groaned at 384 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 16,584 Times in 9,368 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Logical thinking would bring you to the answer.

The Burka (all enveloping outer garment) is shunned by the overwhelming majority of modern day Muslims, its hardly worn anywhere except the most conservative and tribal areas of Afghanistan, Yemen etc..

Therefore its reasonable to assume that most Muslims would have no problem accepting its banning.
Wouldn't count on it.

"Hammad Kabbaj, a preacher barred from standing in parliamentary elections in October over his alleged ties to "extremism", denounced the ban as "unacceptable", mocking the "Morocco of freedom and human rights" which "considers the wearing of the Western swimsuit on the beaches an untouchable right".

Meanwhile, the Northern Moroccan National Observatory for Human Development said it considered the measure an "arbitrary decision that is an indirect violation of women's freedom of expression and wearing what reflects their identities or their religious, political or social beliefs"."
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #757  
Old 11.01.2017, 12:09
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,423
Groaned at 113 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 16,157 Times in 5,151 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Wouldn't count on it.

"Hammad Kabbaj, a preacher barred from standing in parliamentary elections in October over his alleged ties to "extremism", denounced the ban as "unacceptable", mocking the "Morocco of freedom and human rights" which "considers the wearing of the Western swimsuit on the beaches an untouchable right".

Meanwhile, the Northern Moroccan National Observatory for Human Development said it considered the measure an "arbitrary decision that is an indirect violation of women's freedom of expression and wearing what reflects their identities or their religious, political or social beliefs"."
You know how the news media works, cherry pick a few outliers and present them as valid opposition (if only for the sake of balance and faireness).
However knowing Morocco as well as I do, I am convinced that an on-the-street poll in Rabat, Casablanca, Tangier etc.. would show overwhelming public support for banning the burka.
Reply With Quote
  #758  
Old 11.01.2017, 13:13
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,749
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,850 Times in 9,526 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Curiously I can't imagine the Islamic world going up in arms and burning flags over Morocco doing this - as per the Danish cartoons episode.
There is a difference between dress code and sacrilege!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #759  
Old 11.01.2017, 14:51
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 513
Groaned at 186 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 1,767 Times in 872 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
There is a difference between dress code and sacrilege!
Please stop trolling :

Quote:
sacrilege
ˈsakrɪlɪdʒ/
noun
noun: sacrilege; plural noun: sacrileges
violation or misuse of what is regarded as sacred.
"putting ecclesiastical vestments to secular use was considered sacrilege"
synonyms:desecration, profanity, profaneness, profanation, blasphemy, impiety, impiousness, sin, irreverence, irreligion, irreligiousness, godlessness, unholiness, disrespect "the sacrilege of committing a murder on holy ground"

Oh how fun the google definition of "sacrilege" includes an example related to dress code.
Reply With Quote
  #760  
Old 11.01.2017, 14:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Curiously I can't imagine the Islamic world going up in arms and burning flags over Morocco doing this - as per the Danish cartoons episode.
Its because they don't suffer fools there gladly.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will borders with CH be affected after terrorist attacks? McTAVGE Daily life 19 15.11.2015 18:14
The All Muslims are evil thread bigblue2 General off-topic 4 27.08.2010 15:46
Confused about coverage in rest of Europe on Swiss Health Insurance Wingnut Insurance 8 15.12.2008 09:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0